Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Richieq wrote: »
    I have an installation booked for tomorrow. Where the telegraph pole is, the fibre will have to come through a bunch of branches. This is the route that the copper is coming in. Can they cancel the install for this? Do they cut the branches back themselves. They are in farmers field and I dont think that he would have a problem with it. Any advice before they come?

I would approach the farmer today and if you have the equipment or can get it - trim the branches.

It's not worth the risk.

I cut tree branches back before the install but the tree is on my land and the branches within reach.

If you're near a outlet - HSS rent long reach pruners - but they are on the pricey side! HSS have always been cheaper in store than online for me however.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

I have an installation booked for tomorrow. Where the telegraph pole is, the fibre will have to come through a bunch of branches. This is the route that the copper is coming in. Can they cancel the install for this? Do they cut the branches back themselves. They are in farmers field and I dont think that he would have a problem with it. Any advice before they come?

I had an install booked for last week, existing copper also runs through branches on route from pole to house (though the tress are in my garden), technician arrived and said that branches needed to be cut and that Eir would sort, technician left and I have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jeepster_ie

I had an install booked for last week, existing copper also runs through branches on route from pole to house (though the tress are in my garden), technician arrived and said that branches needed to be cut and that Eir would sort, technician left and I have heard nothing since.

Eir wont sort it if the tree is on your land, it's up to you to get them cut back. Maybe he meant eir will sort out rescheduling the appointment after you have that done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

So as suspected, the trees are a problem. There is actually a good bit of clearing that will need to be done. I live down a lane way and there is around 150 meters that will need a tree surgeon to to take care of. The lane that I’m on is owned by the county council so when I suggested running a duct, the engineer said that would be problematic as I would need permission from the council. Who’s responsible for cutting the trees back and can anyone recommend someone in the northeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

So as suspected, the trees are a problem. There is actually a good bit of clearing that will need to be done. I live down a lane way and there is around 150 meters that will need a tree surgeon to to take care of. The lane that I’m on is owned by the county council so when I suggested running a duct, the engineer said that would be problematic as I would need permission from the council. Who’s responsible for cutting the trees back and can anyone recommend someone in the northeast?

If it's public roadway the council or openeir is if it's in your property you are. Laneways are a bit hit and miss council tends not to want to know but when you want to put stuff there they suddenly take ownership of it. Seem to get conflicting information when it comes to right of ways.
    If your laneway has a ditch at the side and touching along curtilage of your property with a pole along it I'd suggest just running ducting along ditch to pole nobody will ever say anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I signed up for Vodafone FTTH after my area went live at beginning of August, but cant get an Engineer appointment as they say there is a problem each time and the appointment gets cancelled with no real explanation. Rang again today and they say there is a fault in the cabling to my house and its due to be fixed in December. This does not sound right to me as I live in an estate and all new fibre lines were run underground to manholes around the estate a few months ago. No fibre line has been run to my house yet (as this is what engineer will do when he calls) so I cant see how that is the problem and I know other people in the estate with EIR are already up and running.

Should I contact Open EIR directly to find out exactly whats going on? Not sure what my next step should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Perhaps contact Eir, instead of Vodafone.

My worry is that sales teams from the various providers will most likely just say yep, no problem without checking it and I will be in the same situation with them. Just wondering if there is any other method to find out my technical status before ordering with a provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cnocbui wrote: »
    Perhaps contact Eir, instead of Vodafone.

There's no way for the general public to contact Open Eir.
    Harcrid wrote: »
    My worry is that sales teams from the various providers will most likely just say yep, no problem without checking it and I will be in the same situation with them. Just wondering if there is any other method to find out my technical status before ordering with a provider.

You could try Airwire, they have a histroy of sorting these kinds of problems or at the very least giving on honset answer on what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Unfortunately your worry is well founded.
    You can try emphasising it's ftth your looking for or 150mbps
    But ive had one person this week who did exactly all those things and still got a order for a phone line dispite having multiple arguments saying he wants to order ftth so there's no foolproof way to make sure it goes smoothly

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    There's no way for the general public to contact Open Eir.

I didn't say 'open eir'. He said those going with Eir had gotten connected - same estate - so I was suggesting trying Eir, as they were obviously getting the job done.

I didn't say 'open eir'. He said those going with Eir had gotten connected - same estate - so I was suggesting trying Eir, as they were obviously getting the job done.

Eir is the worst company to be with if there is any kind of problem. There are other companies with much better customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I signed up for Vodafone FTTH after my area went live at beginning of August........... . Rang again today and they say there is a fault in the cabling to my house and its due to be fixed in December.

Just received a text to say mine is now delayed until 3rd December:

Timeline:
    Mid-July - availability checker says FTTH available on 07/08/2019

07/08/2019 - Order placed via ISP

12/08/2019 - KN Group engineer attends, completes last leg of termination and is unable to complete install due to no light at the DP

15/08/2019 - ISP confirms that estimated date for resolution is 29/09/2019 but may be completed sooner

30/08/2019 - SMS received saying estimated date of completion is 03/12/2019

Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure whether it will do any good but I'll be complaining to anyone who will listen about this.

Original ETA at the start of the 300k was Winter 2018. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I signed up for Vodafone FTTH after my area went live at beginning of August, but cant get an Engineer appointment as they say there is a problem each time and the appointment gets cancelled with no real explanation. Rang again today and they say there is a fault in the cabling to my house and its due to be fixed in December. This does not sound right to me as I live in an estate and all new fibre lines were run underground to manholes around the estate a few months ago. No fibre line has been run to my house yet (as this is what engineer will do when he calls) so I cant see how that is the problem and I know other people in the estate with EIR are already up and running.

Should I contact Open EIR directly to find out exactly whats going on? Not sure what my next step should be.

At a guess the OE system (UG) is rejecting your orders as the OLT is full. The chaps you speak to in Vodafone just don't know how to read the error codes or their CRM doesnt present them to them.

tuxy wrote: »
    Eir is the worst company to be with if there is any kind of problem. There are other companies with much better customer service.

I wouldn't dispute that, but I'm with Eir and haven't had any problems I have needed them to sort, so my experience has been what is. At least I have a connection. Doesn't sound to me like his experience with Vodacrhas been exactly been stellar.

Yes the service is fine from Eir if you have good luck and never have to contact customer service. I had been with them since they were Telecom Eireann and they disconnected me, when I got in contact they had no history of me ever being a customer. You can imagine how much fun that was to sort.
    It does sound like Vodafone are unhelpful in this case and as it also looks like there is a higher than average chance of complications with this install then it is even more important to go with a provider that is know for good customer service. The good thing is Eir and Vodafone can be excluded and there are still a number of providers to choose from.

Just received a text to say mine is now delayed until 3rd December:

Timeline:
    Mid-July - availability checker says FTTH available on 07/08/2019

07/08/2019 - Order placed via ISP

12/08/2019 - KN Group engineer attends, completes last leg of termination and is unable to complete install due to no light at the DP

15/08/2019 - ISP confirms that estimated date for resolution is 29/09/2019 but may be completed sooner

30/08/2019 - SMS received saying estimated date of completion is 03/12/2019

Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure whether it will do any good but I'll be complaining to anyone who will listen about this.

Original ETA at the start of the 300k was Winter 2018. What a joke.

Your timeline is almost exactly the same as mine other than i never got an engineer out. I also got the September date, pushed to December. Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

My parents have a meteor mast on their farm. Meteor want to have fibre cable run to the mast, I presume to increase data throughput in advance of 5G. Their home is approximately 300 Metres outside the 300k FTTH rollout.
    We want to get them a fibre connection from this fibre run, Meteor tell us the 3 signal is very good and not to bother, it just seems like a convenient lazy answer from them! The mast is located less than 100 Metres from their home.

How would a fibre cable run to the mast from the standard fibre network terminate?
    Will it terminate in a regular DP?
    If it terminates in a DP how can we get Openeir to add it to the network or will it happen automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

manshay wrote: »
    My parents have a meteor mast on their farm. Meteor want to have fibre cable run to the mast, I presume to increase data throughput in advance of 5G. Their home is approximately 300 Metres outside the 300k FTTH rollout.
    We want to get them a fibre connection from this fibre run, Meteor tell us the 3 signal is very good and not to bother, it just seems like a convenient lazy answer from them! The mast is located less than 100 Metres from their home.

How would a fibre cable run to the mast from the standard fibre network terminate?
    If it terminates in a DP how can we get Openeir to add it to the network or will it happen automatically?

The mast will get a dedicated connection, not a consumer connection from openeir.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Who is this Meteor company though dost talk about ??

the actual 'Meteor' mobile phone company who went years ago? - taken over by eir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

You (or your parents rather) have a lot of bargaining power in such a situation. I was approached a number of years ago by VF IIRC and they offered many a sweetener at the time. However, I'm sure they would be reluctant to allow consumer access to fiber installed for backhaul purposes. Any solution would be bespoke.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

While not actually using the mast fibre connection you could make it a prerequisite that the residential fibre is extended the 300m to the home if you are to allow them to bring fibre to the mast. The only danger with this is that they may decide to abandon the fibre to the mast, leaving you with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Who is this Meteor company though dost talk about ??

the actual 'Meteor' mobile phone company who went years ago? - taken over by eir?

The meteor brand became Eir. Same way "eir" is still good old Eircom Ltd.
    Name METEOR MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED
    Address 2022 BIANCONI AVENUE
    CITYWEST BUSINESS PARK
    DUBLIN 24, DUBLIN, D24 HX03
    IRELAND
    Registered 26/03/1998
    Status Normal

Manshay the problem you have is the folks doing the works proposed have nothing to do with the rural last mile stuff. Even if well motivated to upgrade your site they may not have any way to pressure another division to add an extra leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

If you're only 300 meters from the last DP, then we are told by an installer on here that it is possible to run a fibre line that distance. They said 7 poles and that the fibre spools are 500 meters in length.

If that's the case here, then you might well succeed in bargaining for a connection.

I am pretty sure that if the parents tell Eir that the cost of permission to run fibre to the mast is that they get a domestic fibre connection, they will get it.

I have just got this email through from SIRO:

Fibre or Not Fibre: Stricter Rules Relating to the Advertising of ‘Fibre’ Broadband
    Starting 1 September 2019, broadband providers are required to specify whether their product is 100% Fibre, Part Fibre or All Copper. We welcome this new guideline by the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI), as it enables the end consumers to make a fully informed decision when choosing their broadband.

SIRO was the first and remains the only dedicated 100% fibre network in Ireland, delivering speeds of 1 Gigabit per second. Search your address to find out if your home is connectable.

So is my FTTH from Digiweb (via Openeir) not dedicated 100% Fibre network then?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Fibre or Not Fibre: Stricter Rules Relating to the Advertising of ‘Fibre’ Broadband
    Starting 1 September 2019, broadband providers are required to specify whether their product is 100% Fibre, Part Fibre or All Copper. We welcome this new guideline by the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI), as it enables the end consumers to make a fully informed decision when choosing their broadband.

SIRO was the first and remains the only dedicated 100% fibre network in Ireland, delivering speeds of 1 Gigabit per second. Search your address to find out if your home is connectable.

It is :) I think Siro are alluding to the fact that some of the OpenEir network is copper based for FTTC etc but OpenEir's FTTH network is a full fibre GPON service plus of course we backhaul it fully on fibre also.

Digiweb wrote: »
    It is :) I think Siro are alluding to the fact that some of the OpenEir network is copper based for FTTC etc but OpenEir's FTTH network is a full fibre GPON service plus of course we backhaul it fully on fibre also.

Many thanks. - that's a relief then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Eir will be able to claim the FTTH product is 100% fibre, but they can't claim their entire network is, or their DSL products are, and it's their own fault for whatever confusion results from that. It's not surprising then that Siro will crow about their "100% fibre network".

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure that if the parents tell Eir that the cost of permission to run fibre to the mast is that they get a domestic fibre connection, they will get it.

an even then though, hasn't the DP have to an eircode of the customer who is to connect to it?

what i mean is, you cannot see a DP up on a pole and say 'ere do us a favour , stick a bit of fibre into that DP over there and run it over to my house will ye?'

dont think it works like that at all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement