Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone know of any companies in Cork who install ducting?

Need to open up some tarmac I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

an even then though, hasn't the DP have to an eircode of the customer who is to connect to it?

what i mean is, you cannot see a DP up on a pole and say 'ere do us a favour , stick a bit of fibre into that DP over there and run it over to my house will ye?'

dont think it works like that at all

I suggest you go read the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

cnocbui wrote: »
    I suggest you go read the original post.

ok thanks , anything special i need to be looking for that i didnt understand .. even better please list the original post , im feeling really lazy today lol :D

Had a flashing red LOS light tonight and no pon light First time I have seen that happen. Only lasted for a couple of minutes and back to normal now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It's completed if you didn't know.....[edit] I think they're really just claiming 300k have been passed.[/edit]

The company, which has €260 million in cash on its balance sheet, also completed its rural fibre-to-the-home programme and has teams now in place to fit out its fibre network to 1.4 million premises in urban and suburban areas.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/eir-revenues-continue-slide-but-results-in-line-with-expectations-1.4006167

Rural FTTH programme completed, with teams now moving into build out of Ireland’s Fibre Network to 1.4m premises in urban and suburban areas.

375,000 total FTTH premises passed, 308,000 as part of rural rollout

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-FY19-Full-Year-Results-Announcement/

The 308,000 is at quarter end, which is end June.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Had a flashing red LOS light tonight and no pon light First time I have seen that happen. Only lasted for a couple of minutes and back to normal now.

They are doing upgrades and Fibre will be offline for short periods...look back a few pages I think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dnas1988

So I’m the last house on openeir rural broadband plan. My eircode is included and Yellow line finishes just outside looking at the map /fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/.
    Currently I see works on the install being completed all along up until the second last house. Ive checked there eircodes on air wire and they all read that Ftth is available.
    My issue is that the original poles and line finishes at the second last house.
    I’m on another line yet the yellow line on the map includes my house on the first line which would mean sinking at least 5 poles to reach my house. Can I be hopeful or did they realize a mistake lol

Do you have a current copper phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Dnas1988 wrote: »
    Can I be hopeful or did they realize a mistake lol

They will take those spans from the DP to your house. If it's included according to fibrerollout or the Airwire checker, you'll be able to order.

Don't worry about where the DPs are. Sometimes a house can be 3 or 5 spans away from the DP. It does not have to be outside your front door.

/M

Do you have a current copper phone line?

Ya, have a current copper line but it’s a different line to the one that currently has been upgraded even thou the map shows were the last house on the upgraded line.

Marlow wrote: »
    They will take those spans from the DP to your house. If it's included according to fibrerollout or the Airwire checker, you'll be able to order.

Don't worry about where the DPs are. Sometimes a house can be 3 or 5 spans away from the DP. It does not have to be outside your front door.

/M

Thanks good to know. Ya were included in the plan for first half according to fiberrollout but seeing as the neighbors being connected and not you made me wonder.

Ya, have a current copper line but it’s a different line to the one that currently has been upgraded even thou the map shows were the last house on the upgraded line.

I think Marlow's already answered it, but the fibre is usually installed on the same poles as the copper, so I was asking about having a copper line as you saying they would need 5 poles to get to you seemed to suggest you didn't have one.

pegasus1 wrote: »
    They are doing upgrades and Fibre will be offline for short periods...look back a few pages I think..

Oh right thanks. At least it was about 1.30am in the morning , for me anyway so that's good that they are doing it in off peak times. I just happened to be going to bed and see it flashing red like that

I think Marlow's already answered it, but the fibre is usually installed on the same poles as the copper, so I was asking about having a copper line as you saying they would need 5 poles to get to you seemed to suggest you didn't have one.

Oh I know haha I tried to describe as best I could but theres a main road in front of the house with the line I’m currently on and a back road behind the house that has another line running. Thanks for the replies anyway. Have to wait and see is all I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Oh I know haha I tried to describe as best I could but theres a main road in front of the house with the line I’m currently on and a back road behind the house that has another line running. Thanks for the replies anyway. Have to wait and see is all I suppose.

If ya order it you'll see how it goes.

I suppose it was the upgrade - lost connection from 00:20 till 02:20 (North Tipp/Clare). Red LOS light never came on, but there were no bits moving on the fibre. So thankfully, I still haven't had to try and contact Eir. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

Hi all,

Been following this thread for a couple of years now and finally my village went live a couple of months ago.

I'm just getting around to placing an order and comparing all the prices it looks like Vodafone are offering the best deal just now (300mbps) including free installation.

I know KN manage the whole install process (which is another subject all together as I have no phone line or ducting etc etc in my new build) but does anyone have experience of dealing with Vodafone and their service in general. They seem to be getting a good number of awards lately.

I suppose most importantly is their Router any good?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone cares to share, obviously looking for the cheapest option but if they are not recommended by those who have been through the process then I would consider looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Don’t worry about the router I have had both eir and sky ftth and in both cases ditched their router and used a Ubiquiti usg and wireless access points

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very very exciting to see those black boxes going up on the Eir poles around my area

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I was too. Unfortunately, my eircode isn't listed. I can stand at the bottom of my drive and see a DP 300m away across a field... .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Probably been said before, but one thing worth mentioning is that the eircode checker (and map) at fibrerollout.ie is out of date and there are properties covered by the Eir ftth rollout that aren't on the map/checker. The retailers checkers (airwire, eir, westnet etc) seem to be up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

JonMac wrote: »
    I was too. Unfortunately, my eircode isn't listed. I can stand at the bottom of my drive and see a DP 300m away across a field... .

I'm 150m for the nearest DP. Last house on the road and I cant get it. Have to wait for nbp. Some pain . All the neighbours have it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'm 150m for the nearest DP. Last house on the road and I cant get it. Have to wait for nbp. Some pain . All the neighbours have it now

Are you friendly with any of these neighbours and have line of sight to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Anyone know anything about cost or where to find a dumb unmanaged gigabit fibre optic switch that takes single mode fibre and possibly sc/APC connector (although a conversion coupler could work).
    Thinking of trying to see if there's a way to get ftth to main house then route from modem to switch in one building to fibre optic link to another one more than 100m away to another house without having to deal with the caveats such as grounding and distance associated with cat5 cable used conventionally in this scenario? Not for myself but something that could be offered to people stuck between a rock and a hard place as an alternative when ya know there's not a hope of getting a connection to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about cost or where to find a dumb unmanaged gigabit fibre optic switch that takes single mode fibre and possibly sc/APC connector (although a conversion coupler could work).
    Thinking of trying to see if there's a way to get ftth to main house then route from modem to switch in one building to fibre optic link to another one more than 100m away to another house without having to deal with the caveats such as grounding and distance associated with cat5 cable used conventionally in this scenario? Not for myself but something that could be offered to people stuck between a rock and a hard place as an alternative when ya know there's not a hope of getting a connection to them.

Would a wireless transmission not make more sense

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

babi-hrse wrote: »

Two of these should do the job, with a SM SFP in each.

You can buy online from www.ip-sa.com.pl or various other online suppliers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement