Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bizebee

Placed order with Airwire for FTTH after reading good things about them in this thread

Does anyone know how long does it take to get installation date?

I assume like other providers it will be KN doing the install.....

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

bizebee wrote: »
    Placed order with Airwire for FTTH after reading good things about them in this thread

Does anyone know how long does it take to get installation date?

I assume like other providers it will be KN doing the install.....

Thanks in advance!

Usually a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Usually a week

I think there may be some slight delays if you are the first customer from that area to order airwire. There are some preperations that airwire need to make at the exchange. At least I think I remember reading that somewhere so would be interested in more details from someone in the know. Perhaps this is a case where a pre-order could speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kazoo106

This takes about 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

20 past 12 flashing red Los and no pon light.

Wonder how long it will be gone for now?

• Advertisement

Shortly after midnight seems to be the time for these upgrades, I had it around the same time a few days ago. Lasted about 10 minutes.

tuxy wrote: »
    Shortly after midnight seems to be the time for these upgrades, I had it around the same time a few days ago. Lasted about 10 minutes.

yep same here. i'm back on now. At least the blackout is not for too long so that's a bonus .

So what is *it* that they are upgrading at this time of the night and causing it to go off for 10 minutes at a time and is this quite regular with a ftth connection can someone tell me?

Firmware updates perhaps?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So what is *it* that they are upgrading at this time of the night and causing it to go off for 10 minutes at a time and is this quite regular with a ftth connection can someone tell me?

mine went down after midnight for about 15 minutes a few nights ago, don't remember this happening before, so it's a rare occurrence. I thought it was an error with the exchange until I read here that it's some sort of an 'upgrade'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mine was out for two hours 00:20 - 2:20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Mine was out for two hours 00:20 - 2:20

I'm sure that was a bit worrying. When mine went the other night for 15 minutes I feared that my connection somehow broke. This happened to me nearly 2 years ago and was without internet for 2 weeks and Eir had to reinstall the entire connection (the connection was originally ran from the wrong pole 200 meters away.).

I wonder what are they up to disconnecting people for 10/15 minutes after midnight on different nights per exchange this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Having a bit of a nightmare with install

Ordered with Airwire, got an install fairly quickly.

Failed due to a bit of ducting missing between pole and the house.

Airwire said I can't get an overhead as I have ducting. Seems odd as my understanding is the default option is overhead unless you provide ducting.

KN guy mentioned something might be able to be looked at from the civ's side.

Never heard from them, called them, said they don't deal with public.

Airwire said they'd look into it, haven't heard anything for weeks.

Eir knocked in today offering to do the install and that kn could do the work and have the cost added to the bill or something similar.

He seemed convinced it was straight forward for kn to do the ducting install if it was needed.

Eeryone seems to have a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont think that's true at all about cannot get overhead if you have ducting.

I've read plenty of stories where users have ducting blocked so KN just install it over head instead.

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont think that's true at all about cannot get overhead if you have ducting.

I've read plenty of stories where users have ducting blocked so KN just install it over head instead.

Thats what I had assumed but the guy from Airwire sounded pretty convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

limnam wrote: »
    Thats what I had assumed but the guy from Airwire sounded pretty convinced.

It would be at the installer's discretion, I would have assumed. Did he mention any reason why it would not be possible? Did you even ask him was overhead an option?

It would be at the installer's discretion, I would have assumed. Did he mention any reason why it would not be possible? Did you even ask him was overhead an option?

It was Airwire that said it wasn't possible as I had ducting.

KN just said he would send a report back to his office on his survey.

It sounds like what he sent back was just the comments on the ducting and no mention of overhead

It was Airwire that said it wasn't possible as I had ducting.

KN just said he would send a report back to his office on his survey.

It sounds like what he sent back was just the comments on the ducting and no mention of overhead

You really needed to ask the KN installer when he was on site. Now you're in limbo waiting for three different companies to sort out your issue.

In saying this I don't know your site so perhaps overhead isn't an option.

You really needed to ask the KN installer when he was on site. Now you're in limbo waiting for three different companies to sort out your issue.

In saying this I don't know your site so perhaps overhead isn't an option.

I did mention it. But didn't really get a straight answer and was more of it'll all be in the report. Felt like he just wanted to get out of there.

What distance would the cable span be for overhead. Less than 50m?

• Advertisement

What distance would the cable span be for overhead. Less than 50m?

Much less than 50 I'd say.

Pole is at the front gate so a fairly short run.

But if kn putting in the missing ducting was an option which the Eir lads seemed pretty sure about. I'd rather pay to get that done.

The problem is from what I hear kn don't do this so not sure if Eir lads are just trying to get a sign up

Much less than 50 I'd say.

Pole is at the front gate so a fairly short run.

But if kn putting in the missing ducting was an option which the Eir lads seemed pretty sure about. I'd rather pay to get that done.

The problem is from what I hear kn don't do this so not sure if Eir lads are just trying to get a sign up

I would be reluctant to trust anything a salesperson tells me. They'll promise you the stars to get a sign-up.

Yes it seems they get their commision once you sign up whie they are at the door regardless of what happens after that.

This kinda worries me as at the moment my DSL line goes through ducting but unfortunately I wont beable get the fibre through due to something blocking it right before it enters house.

my only hope is overhead but there's an Eir pole right out the house though...

Headshot wrote: »
    This kinda worries me as at the moment my DSL line goes through ducting but unfortunately I wont beable get the fibre through due to something blocking it right before it enters house.

my only hope is overhead but there's an Eir pole right out the house though...

It it your only hope? Would it not be possible to get the duct repaired or a new one laid if it came to it?

Yes it seems they get their commision once you sign up whie they are at the door regardless of what happens after that.

Yeah that;s what i was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

glack wrote: »
    What does works being started look like? Vans around our area in the past couple of weeks, running an additional line right at the top of the poles separate from the existing phone lines.

We are now at available soon!! Finally getting somewhere.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Failed due to a bit of ducting missing between pole and the house.

Airwire said I can't get an overhead as I have ducting. Seems odd as my understanding is the default option is overhead unless you provide ducting.

Hi,

you can always get overhead .. even if you have ducting .. as long as you're within 50 meters of the pole. I'm unsure, who in Airwire would have told you otherwise.

You should basically have told the KN guy on the day, that you wanted to go overhead and that would have been it.

If you're more than 50 meters away, overhead is not going to happen though. Or if the cabling on the road is underground with no existing poles. Then they won't do overhead either.

As for Eir telling you, that KN could do the ducting and they could add it to the bill, that's not something we have heard of before. It seems quite far fetched, especially since Eir sales people are a third party company, not direct Eir employees. So I would want that in writing, if you were inclined to sign up.

• Advertisement

It it your only hope? Would it not be possible to get the duct repaired or a new one laid if it came to it?

I dont think the ducting is damaged it's just how they ran the cable in originally. They did a bad job on the ducting tbh.

I rented a cobra reel and was able to get as far as the wall of the house but just could not get any closer. The ducting comes in underground into the house.

By getting a new ducting put down would mean digging up alot of driveway tarmac in different spots and then would I come underneath into the house or use an external terminating unit (ETU) which I would have to create as the house doest have one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement