Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hi,

you can always get overhead .. even if you have ducting .. as long as you're within 50 meters of the pole. I'm unsure, who in Airwire would have told you otherwise.

You should basically have told the KN guy on the day, that you wanted to go overhead and that would have been it.

Phew that's a relief thanks Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

As for Eir telling you, that KN could do the ducting and they could add it to the bill, that's not something we have heard of before. It seems quite far fetched, especially since Eir sales people are a third party company, not direct Eir employees. So I would want that in writing, if you were inclined to sign up.

Thanks Martin yeah it sounded too good be true. I didn't realise they were not from Eir.

I'd say I'll try to get the bit of ducting put in for now and then attempt overhead of its a no go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont think the ducting is damaged it's just how they ran the cable in originally. They did a bad job on the ducting tbh.

I rented a cobra reel and was able to get as far as the wall of the house but just could not get any closer. The ducting comes in underground into the house.

By getting a new ducting put down would mean digging up alot of driveway tarmac in different spots and then would I come underneath into the house or use an external terminating unit (ETU) which I would have to create as the house doest have one

how much was it to rent the reel?

limnam wrote: »
    how much was it to rent the reel?

I think it was like around 20 euro (I think) the one I got was the exact diameter of what the fibre cable will be. Everything was looking great until I got to the wall of the house and it refused to go any further.

Another thing I could do is get a building contractor to dig exactly where the ducting is coming into the house and hopefully fix the issue. I just have the rely on listening to the sound of the cable reel tapping off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I think it was like around 20 euro (I think) the one I got was the exact diameter of what the fibre cable will be. Everything was looking great until I got to the wall of the house and it refused to go any further.

Another thing I could do is get a building contractor to dig exactly where the ducting is coming into the house and hopefully fix the issue. I just have the rely on listening to the sound of the cable reel tapping off the wall

Sounds bit similar to mine. I tried feeding the reel down from the ETU, I barely made it a few feet when it got stuck! The other end was in a chamber on the road which I didn’t have access to. I bought a cheap inspection camera and put that down. There was a pipe inside the pipe for the ETU and it was getting jammed against it.

I got a guy out then who could open the chamber and we did it from there, same issue, got as far as house and wouldn’t reach etu. The hockey stick wasn’t done correctly and was some weird angle. We eventually used the existing phone line and pulled a rope down from the ETU to the road, then pulled another rope back up along with the phone line again. So we still have the line there. We’ve never used it since or in the past though.

Pretty sure KN won’t normally do this though. The line could snap or something. Just letting you know what happened in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The blockage at dogleg by etu is common enough.
    Overhead won't be considered if
    Your house is externally insulated
    There are 40kv parallel power lines running across intended overhead path for cable
    Only location would be too low for vehicles to drive past if a single story dwelling
    Trees directly in path of line from pole to house.
    Kn won't and are not obliged to sort out customer ducting (they may approach and offer themselves as a civil contractor to do the work not guaranteed to get seen by them)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Originally according to Firerollout website, my parents were due Fibre in Summer 2018, then it said Summer 2019 which has now also passed. What the latest on the ground, are they worried about Siro taking all their urban customers and therefore prioritizing those now, leaving rural FTTH till later, or this particular exchange unusually late (Killeagh, Co. Cork)?

"Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the first half of 2019."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Originally according to Firerollout website, my parents were due Fibre in Summer 2018, then it said Summer 2019 which has now also passed. What the latest on the ground, are they worried about Siro taking all their urban customers and therefore prioritizing those now, leaving rural FTTH till later, or this particular exchange unusually late (Killeagh, Co. Cork)?

"Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the first half of 2019."

You're just among the last to be done unfortunately. Fibrerollout is as good as abandoned so there's no point relying on it. Look out for new cables and boxes appearing on poles then you will know it isn't far off.

Very very exciting to see those black boxes going up on the Eir poles around my area

Can you send a picture, are they very noticeable on the poles? Anything else to look out for?

You're just among the last to be done unfortunately. Fibrerollout is as good as abandoned so there's no point relying on it. Look out for new cables and boxes appearing on poles then you will know it isn't far off.
    Thanks Navi, aslong as they eventually get it done and it’s not cut from plan.

• Advertisement

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Can you send a picture, are they very noticeable on the poles? Anything else to look out for?

They are pretty noticeable. They will not be on every pole but should be on a few in a given area.

453515.jpg

They are pretty noticeable. They will not be on every pole but should be on a few in a given area.

453515.jpg

How do they work? I was expecting one put outside my house but that doesnt appear to the case yet anyway

How do they work? I was expecting one put outside my house but that doesnt appear to the case yet anyway

They will have designed the network so that each box (distribution point) will be able to serve a certain number of premises, usually 4 or 8 in rural areas. There should be one located not far from your home, usually within a couple of pole spans, so that when you order a fibre cable can be brought from the box into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How do they work?

They are basically passive optical splitters

Splice-box-in-situ.jpg

A few You Tube vids
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3naLGJkl-fc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7a29h3dif0

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

We’re in a new build estate with no fixed line service yet, Eir showed up about 3 or 4 months ago and ran fiber along Poles from a cabinet to the estate entrance but haven’t progressed the work any further since. All cables are just hanging loosely from the pole with to DP.

Anyone have any idea how long we’ll be waiting ?

Cheers guys, thanks for clarifying that for me then. Explains why there's a DP just past my house and from this same DP fibre cable will run back to the pole right outside my house and then into my home

Cork981 wrote: »
    We’re in a new build estate with no fixed line service yet, Eir showed up about 3 or 4 months ago and ran fiber along Poles from a cabinet to the estate entrance but haven’t progressed the work any further since. All cables are just hanging loosely from the pole with to DP.

Anyone have any idea how long we’ll be waiting ?

I doubt anyone outside of open eir and perhaps KN networks can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Hi
    Bear with me as bit of a story :-(

Around June KN spend couple of days putting the fibre along our road.
    Thought we would finally have proper broadband in couple of months.
    About 5 -6 weeks ago Eir come along and put the finishing touches to the line. Check the FTTH checker and can get it as DP only 90mtrs from house.
    Call provider and they agree that FTTH is available and sign up with said provider. Cancel current provider same day.

Week later get text to say engineer will call on the Fri to connect FTTH.
    I live in NW of country but engineer arrived at house in SW of country to connect me. Contact provider and they say they will look in to it.

Then I seem to disappear of the FTTH checker and am no longer able to get FTTH. Neighbours only 200mtrs up the road can get FTTH from a different DP which is 200mtr from their home. They are further up the road from the village and where I assumed the line would come from and therefore if they could get FTTH then surely I could as it passed my house. Seems this is not the case.

Contacted Openeir but they would not talk to me as they only deal with the providers and not the end user. What a joke. Provider is still not giving me any answers as they say they only have the information that Openeir is providing.

It is now 2 weeks since the supposed installation date and still nothing. They cant even give me a date as to when I might be back on the checker never mind when they will connect it.

Am really frustrated with the process as I know I should have had FTTH by now but keep getting fobbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Which provider?

What does the Airwire checker say: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I doubt anyone outside of open eir and perhaps KN networks can tell you.

Even they don't know only eir planning would know

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Which provider?

What does the Airwire checker say: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

It won't show up on any provider now when I check but few weeks ago it was OK on all of them as I checked my eircode on most of them. Provider is Pure but not sure if it's them at fault or Openeir as keep getting the same answer that it is with the Web devolpment team and they don't know when I will be 'connected'

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

northknife wrote: »
    It won't show up on any provider now when I check but few weeks ago it was OK on all of them as I checked my eircode on most of them. Provider is Pure but not sure if it's them at fault or Openeir as keep getting the same answer that it is with the Web devolpment team and they don't know when I will be 'connected'

This sounds very strange. There must be some mix-up with the address. I would suggest finding the ID that is on the DP closest to your house and then phone up the provider to check if your eircode is assigned that DP. I suggest speaking to airwire if you don't have any luck with pure. Airwire were very helpful and knowledgeable about the rollout mapping when I spoke to them.

Seems odd. Was your house marked on the fibre rollout map as designated to get FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

cnocbui wrote: »
    Seems odd. Was your house marked on the fibre rollout map as designated to get FTTH?

That map is definitely not accurate either. My house is not marked on it to this day but I have FTTH :p

fmannix10 wrote: »
    That map is definitely not accurate either. My house is not marked on it to this day but I have FTTH :p

Very droll. It's not so much about it's absolute accuracy as whether the house was marked on it as being targeted. If it wasn't, then the recent events are likely due to a name mixup, but if it was, then there is a good chance of getting the desired result once the current glitch is sorted.

House has been marked for about the past year or more for Rollout.
    Sent Pure pictures of the DP and the number on the side but keep getting the same response that there is nothing they can do and that it is sent to the web design team at Openeir.

Just feel like i'm getting the runaround.

fmannix10 wrote: »
    This sounds very strange. There must be some mix-up with the address. I would suggest finding the ID that is on the DP closest to your house and then phone up the provider to check if your eircode is assigned that DP. I suggest speaking to airwire if you don't have any luck with pure. Airwire were very helpful and knowledgeable about the rollout mapping when I spoke to them.

I dont know how they could mix up the address with the eircode.
    It would be different if I was on my own and the map was wrong but less than 200mtr up the road neighbours have it when it is passing my house....
    Am I right in thinking that if I am closer to the village/town/source of the internet line than my DP should also be connected before someone further away?

I dont know how they could mix up the address with the eircode.
    It would be different if I was on my own and the map was wrong but less than 200mtr up the road neighbours have it when it is passing my house....
    Am I right in thinking that if I am closer to the village/town/source of the internet line than my DP should also be connected before someone further away?

All the DPs on a run will be enabled more or less at the same time, barring individual faults. People closer to a village and able to get decent speeds of 20 Mbps or greater, due to close proximity to a fibre cabinet, are less likely to get FTTH than people further out along the same road who can only get 5 Mbps, even if the fibre passes them.

119634 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2019 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. +11% QonQ and +96% YoY.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2019

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement