Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I'm waiting 4 months now for an install after going live on my road - latest excuse from Openeir is they are waiting on council permission to work along road to fix blocked duct. No wonder it's so far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

turbbo wrote: »

I'm waiting 4 months now for an install after going live on my road - latest excuse from Openeir is they are waiting on council permission to work along road to fix blocked duct. No wonder it's so far behind.
    If it the council there waiting on it be ages there extremely slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

must be really infuriating when something cannot be continued until another dept/place does their bit. It should run like clockwork, it would do in an ideal life. - of course when the council have got around to closing the road or unblocking the duct r whatever it is they have to do , then sod's law will say the openeir installers would have moved onto another job in another area and then another wait for them to finish the ftth installation/infrastructure in your area.

I had to wait for a year since the DP's went up and connected in my area. But that wasnt just a blocked duct I dont think , as far as I have gathered it was excuses of that the local exchange box was so messy wired up that no OE engineer wanted to touch it to that we was waiting for a brand new FTTH cabinet/OLT exchange to be fitted in the area.

rob808 wrote: »
    If it the council there waiting on it be ages there extremely slow.

It's just a BS excuse - usual Openeir fob off.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Assuming the council permission excuse has any clout - perhaps if they end-to-end tested installs before commissioning, and didn't wait for the first customer order in order to properly to complete the job, perhaps they wouldn't need to to request council permission again.

Unless we are expected to believe that ducts are collapsing spontaneously everywhere and wiping out newly installed areas before they can be used. Hmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Also running into a problem with a blocked duct holding up connection.
    Very long run as well from the house o where the duct reaches the pole- so rodding it has been a problem.

Could I chance cutting the existing copper wire and using it to pull a rope through the duct?
    Is the copper wire needed at all after the fibre cable is in place?

I will have to chance doing this myself as the install lads can't attempt this option

Unless we are expected to believe that ducts are collapsing spontaneously everywhere and wiping out newly installed areas before they can be used. Hmmmmm.

Yeah - nail on head - I'm not convinced the duct is blocked - well not to a degree that makes the install impossible - I think the kn crew are poorly equipped and badly organised not to mention badly ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

arrowman wrote: »
    Also running into a problem with a blocked duct holding up connection.
    Very long run as well from the house o where the duct reaches the pole- so rodding it has been a problem.

Could I chance cutting the existing copper wire and using it to pull a rope through the duct?
    Is the copper wire needed at all after the fibre cable is in place?

I will have to chance doing this myself as the install lads can't attempt this option

I'd try pulling the phone cable from each end to see if there is if there is free movement, before cutting it - I wouldn't cut it, I'd just disconnect it and insulate the wires from each other with tape so they cant touch. I wouldn't tie a rope to the phone line with a knot - that would be sure to catch on something - I have had good success butting cable end to rope and then joining them by rolling them up in a tube of strong tape - lengthwise - with a good bit of overlap.

I have noticed on ebay you can get long thin hoses that attach to a pressure washer, which are intended for unblocking pipes and ducts: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drain-Cleaner-Hose-Sewer-Pipe-Cleaning-Kit-Flexible-Jetter-Tube-Unblocker-15-m/141594354964?epid=3031196091&hash=item20f7ae6514:g:ZWEAAOSwgHRdSUZx

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Assuming the council permission excuse has any clout - perhaps if they end-to-end tested installs before commissioning, and didn't wait for the first customer order in order to properly to complete the job, perhaps they wouldn't need to to request council permission again.

You would have to see it to believe it. Network ducts are rarely pristine they don't collapse too often unless another utility has ran right across them. Most part they're blocked with debris of leaves and sticks that flow with the rainwater to the lowest point of the duct add in a few dozen snails and slugs let it dry up and add silt you've got a cork. The rods the installers havn't much chance at pushing through that gunk out more than 20m up a duct. I'm always happy enough to let the homeowner have a try so there's no shouda woulda coulda. The civils have the thicker 120m rods for pushing that gunk.
    Best bet get a larger jetwash and give it a blast at the least it'll get it floating and might be easier to push through

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You would have to see it to believe it. Network ducts are rarely pristine they don't collapse too often unless another utility has ran right across them. Most part they're blocked with debris of leaves and sticks that flow with the rainwater to the lowest point of the duct add in a few dozen snails and slugs let it dry up and add silt you've got a cork. The rods the installers havn't much chance at pushing through that gunk out more than 20m up a duct. I'm always happy enough to let the homeowner have a try so there's no shouda woulda coulda. The civils have the thicker 120m rods for pushing that gunk.
    Best bet get a larger jetwash and give it a blast at the least it'll get it floating and might be easier to push through

Oh I have no doubt that some of the ducts and pipework are in terrible condition - i'm talking specifically like in my situation and others similar where Eir have completed the works to the point the DP's are outside and the product is ready to order - so one would assume that the fibre has been run successfully up until the DP and any encountered ducting/cabling issues had been addressed up until this point (or else why is it available to order?).

Then you book in your install to your domicile (which is all overhead) and they find out that there is no light at the DP, and then the reason provided at a later date by OpenEir/ISP is that there is "a problem with a duct".

How can this be if the fibre has been run to your street and the last leg is overhead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'd try pulling the phone cable from each end to see if there is if there is free movement, before cutting it - I wouldn't cut it, I'd just disconnect it and insulate the wires from each other with tape so they cant touch. I wouldn't tie a rope to the phone line with a knot - that would be sure to catch on something - I have had good success butting cable end to rope and then joining them by rolling them up in a tube of strong tape - lengthwise - with a good bit of overlap.

I have noticed on ebay you can get long thin hoses that attach to a pressure washer, which are intended for unblocking pipes and ducts: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drain-Cleaner-Hose-Sewer-Pipe-Cleaning-Kit-Flexible-Jetter-Tube-Unblocker-15-m/141594354964?epid=3031196091&hash=item20f7ae6514:g:ZWEAAOSwgHRdSUZx

Thanks. I will tape the cable and rope together as you suggest and see how it goes.

I just want to try this option before I get into digging up the lawn to try and get to the duct.
    If I get it sorted then I will pull a pull rope through the duct when the fibre cable is being pulled through just to have it there in case its ever needed in future. If Eircom (as it was at the time back in 2005 when i got the phone in) had left a pull rope in the duct then the whole thing would have been easier now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

fmannix10 wrote: »
    That map is definitely not accurate either. My house is not marked on it to this day but I have FTTH :p

What provider did you use? i always presumed that if my house was not on the rollout map that i could not get it even if it ran past my house, which it does (DP at Gate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

pma wrote: »
    What provider did you use? i always presumed that if my house was not on the rollout map that i could not get it even if it ran past my house, which it does (DP at Gate)

Ignore all maps. The only way to know for sure is if your Eircode is passing on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

or

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

pma wrote: »

Does it show up on the as available for you on the chekers linked above? If not then in my case it was slightly different because the database that all the providers use showed that it was available. Only the map was outdated. Provided there are free ports on a DP near you and the fibre passes your house there is probably a chance you can get the house indexed. I would suggest speaking to one of the smaller providers such as airwire about this as they will need to submit a request to openeir.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Does it show up on the as available for you on the chekers linked above? If not then in my case it was slightly different because the database that all the providers use showed that it was available. Only the map was outdated. Provided there are free ports on a DP near you and the fibre passes your house there is probably a chance you can get the house indexed. I would suggest speaking to one of the smaller providers such as airwire about this as they will need to submit a request to openeir.

the house is not on any of the checkers but neighbors left and right of me are. i'll contact other providers as suggested and see how it goes. Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RunnerYT

Has anyone else had their order pushed back to a later date from Eir?
    Originally an engineer was due to be sent out to survey the premises at the end of this month but now I've been told that it might be not be until December because additional work needs to be carried out on the line, despite being told that FTTH is available at my address and even getting a flyer in the door saying as much.

RunnerYT wrote: »
    Has anyone else had their order pushed back to a later date from Eir?
    Originally an engineer was due to be sent out to survey the premises at the end of this month but now I've been told that it might be not be until December because additional work needs to be carried out on the line, despite being told that FTTH is available at my address and even getting a flyer in the door saying as much.

Go back a few pages:

Just received a text to say mine is now delayed until 3rd December:

Timeline:
    Mid-July - availability checker says FTTH available on 07/08/2019

07/08/2019 - Order placed via ISP

12/08/2019 - KN Group engineer attends, completes last leg of termination and is unable to complete install due to no light at the DP

15/08/2019 - ISP confirms that estimated date for resolution is 29/09/2019 but may be completed sooner

30/08/2019 - SMS received saying estimated date of completion is 03/12/2019

Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure whether it will do any good but I'll be complaining to anyone who will listen about this.

Original ETA at the start of the 300k was Winter 2018. What a joke.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111127000&postcount=9884

Harcrid wrote: »
    Your timeline is almost exactly the same as mine other than i never got an engineer out. I also got the September date, pushed to December. Weird!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111127400&postcount=9888

Clearly something dodgy going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I rang Vodafone again today to see if there was any change to the previous December fix date that I was given and was told "Good News" we have resolved the issue and we are ready to go ahead with the install. So they booked an engineer for next Wednesday.

I hung up the phone and by coincidence a KN van pulled up to install Vodafone at my next door neighbors house and I got chatting to him. When he went to check the DP there was no light on so he couldn't proceed. He told me he is sick of sales teams selling the product before its fully ready. So looks like my wait continues.

Harcrid wrote: »
    I rang Vodafone again today to see if there was any change to the previous December fix date that I was given and was told "Good News" we have resolved the issue and we are ready to go ahead with the install. So they booked an engineer for next Wednesday.

I hung up the phone and by coincidence a KN van pulled up to install Vodafone at my next door neighbors house and I got chatting to him. When he went to check the DP there was no light on so he couldn't proceed. He told me he is sick of sales teams selling the product before its fully ready. So looks like my wait continues.

Well you never know - hopefully it will be ready for Wednesday. Would be ridiculous if it doesn't - please keep us updated!

I've noticed someone has been working on the ducts in the nearby village that the fibre runs through, but I drive past so early and late that I would never see a van. Hopefully it will all get resolved soon.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I see Imagine have recently nailed their advertisements for their broadband poles just outside town, funnily enough the poles they are on have DP's! Feel bad for the people who see those and end up stuck in a 2 year contract not realising fiber is available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

probably several reasons for this:

- some dp's left unfinished or abandoned (there are a a few in Dunshaughlin).
    - poor ducting into homes with no overhead alternative
    - home too far off the road from pole
    - some installs labeled with incorrect dp.(happened to me).

I'd be interested to know what the definition of "drop point" is. Is it a distribution point? The ports on a DP or something at the exchange end?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The DP has always been where the cable turns to a consumer only pair (pair of pairs in fact). For FTTH that's the last 4 port ODP before the drop leg which is for one premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Gonzo wrote: »
    probably several reasons for this:

- some dp's left unfinished or abandoned (there are a a few in Dunshaughlin).
    - poor ducting into homes with no overhead alternative
    - home too far off the road from pole
    - some installs labeled with incorrect dp.(happened to me).

I second this if you think it's bad in dunshaughlin you should see apartment blocks in naas
    Ftth in a joint box in ground and no way to get it into the apartments... No ducts to apartments. But yes all apartments passed for ftth
    It's the landlords responsibility to get the building sorted but we and the tenants and open eir know that's never going to happen. A waste of infrastructure and time
    Gated private communities are rife with bad planning DPS in wrong locations or never indexed or some such.
    As if someone dropped it in and lit it then never reported it's existence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Fibre went active a month ago and they were out first week to install but the DP for house was in wrong place, so 3 weeks later they were back but only 1 lad so couldn't do it, and now I'm waiting another month.

Route the lad was proposing going by google is 420m+ long.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Varik wrote: »
    Fibre went active a month ago and they were out first week to install but the DP for house was in wrong place, so 3 weeks later they were back but only 1 lad so couldn't do it, and now I'm waiting another month.

Route the lad was proposing going by google is 420m+ long.

Is that 420m from the correct drop point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Altreab2 wrote: »
    Is that 420m from the correct drop point?

No, putting the DP where they did added an extra 220m to give 420m.

Phone line comes in for us and neighbour off same pole, they said they didn't go off existing copper layout. If they had put it on same pole that they put neighbours DP on then it's only be 200m. I think they thought that ours was actually near another neighbours across the road where theirs goes straight to a duct.

Heard someone once say that there was a 500m limit from DP and 420 is point to point to point, so no slack or random loops of fibre taking into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The limit is not so much defined in meters, but more in the amount of spans, it goes across.

At the point of 6 or 7 spans from the DP, you're out of boundaries.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement