Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Marlow wrote: »
    The limit is not so much defined in meters, but more in the amount of spans, it goes across.

At the point of 6 or 7 spans from the DP, you're out of boundaries.

/M

But the fibre cable on a new reel is 500m so it's a hard limit.
    But yes it's more the spans that are problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

ED E wrote: »
    The DP has always been where the cable turns to a consumer only pair (pair of pairs in fact). For FTTH that's the last 4 port ODP before the drop leg which is for one premises.

Sorry for the purposes of this exercise are Drop Point and Distribution Point essentially the same thing?

So are the ISP's saying in the article there isn't enough Distribution points, ports on the DP or a combination of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably a mix of both. If a run has one optic(not realistic, hypothetical) that supports 31 customers and has 33 homes then at 100% uptake two are left out. On a larger scale this can happen just like it did with VDSL. 192 ports, 210 customers that want to sign up. Somebody gets shafted. 10x fibres supporting 310 customers but that area happens to have 320 premises that actually want the service.

More likely a problem is uneven demand. A run goes 8 8 8 8 but demand is 3 4 12 4 so the one pole(DP) with many houses may not have enough capacity despite the entire run being well below capacity.

OpenEir cannot and will never have their last mile planned to the level that its perfectly 1:1 but we've also seen how super sloppy they & KNN have been. Early FTTC had high fail rates but a lot was down to moronic techs, a lot of these FTTH fails seem to be OpenEirs provisioning being a mess. FTTH should have a significant fail rate due to ducts being blocked that cannot be predicted but not for dark fibres. Its stupid and the OLOs are right to be pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The fail rate on this is something like a felt 3 out of 10.

That figure could be skewed, because when people fail getting anywhere with the larger operators, then they try again with a smaller, maybe failing for the same reasons.

Some of the FTTC issues came from entire line cards in the cabinets being faulty. Up untol some point last year over 900 premises in Galway City were flagged as unavailble. Same goes for a few other places.

OE did not replace those linecards until at least half a year had passed.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Coming up on two years with a digiweb fibre contract 150/30. Is it worth my while changing to someone else?

Digiweb has been perfect to deal with. No spam. No contacting me in anyway. No change in service. No change in price. So smooth from day one.

Should I just keep going?

I can’t seem to see a reason to change providers at the moment, I’m just wondering am I not seeing a better deal somewhere else?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes I say stay with what you have. It's just not worth the possible headache of some of the other providers.

I see Eir have changed their pricing so it's now cheaper to get 300Mb for 12 months than 150Mb
    I guess they hope people don't cancel after 12 months when the cost goes up to €75 per month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is an event on Thursday night with Eoin Reeves who advised the government on the national broadband plan who has written a report about PPPs using the broadband plan as a case study and talking about the risks of exporting the model to the developing world. https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/public-launch-buyer-beware-a-critique-of-ppps-tickets-73293622197

Date And Time
    Thu, 26 September 2019

19:00pm – 21:00pm

56 Aungier Street
    D02 T258 Dublin 2

It should be interesting. Free entry - all welcome.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Sent you a PM Martin, if you wouldn’t mind taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,
    Customer wants to replace their F2000 with a dedicated Firewall / Router (And DHCP for approx 30 devices).

No WiFi needed (Separate AP's)
    No VPN needed (but this will be included in any decent Firewall)
    No Content Filtering / AntiVirus subscriptions needed.

Basically, a decent router / firewall / DHCP for a small business.

Normally i'd be inclined to go down the Meraki / SonicWall route, but budget doesn't allow.

I was thinking a Draytek Vigor 2952 but others have mentioned Draytek are known for being slow??

We want something to replace the F2000, rather than bridge, so PPPoE with VLAN is a must.

They're on FTTH 150 with Vodafone.

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

Mikrotik, if you're OK with a bit of a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Hi all,
    Customer wants to replace their F2000 with a dedicated Firewall / Router (And DHCP for approx 30 devices).

Normally i'd be inclined to go down the Meraki / SonicWall route, but budget doesn't allow.

I was thinking a Draytek Vigor 2952 but others have mentioned Draytek are known for being slow??

We want something to replace the F2000, rather than bridge, so PPPoE with VLAN is a must.

Any recommendations?

https://www.ui.com/unifi-routing/usg/?

Cheap, small. will do what you need it to.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Mikrotik, if you're OK with a bit of a learning curve.
    Have done in the past, looking for more of a plug-and-play (with the exception of basic firewall rules etc)
    limnam wrote: »

Powerful enough for 30-odd clients?

Can you confirm PPPoE / VLAN Tagging (WAN?) - I've tried to Google but can't get an definitive answer.

limnam wrote: »

Am I right that even a Firewall / Router requires a Cloud Controller / Key Controller? (Thought that was just for AP's).

If so, not my cup of tea. Of all things that should be standalone, it should be the Gateway (Firewall / Router)

Am I right that even a Firewall / Router requires a Cloud Controller / Key Controller? (Thought that was just for AP's).

If so, not my cup of tea. Of all things that should be standalone, it should be the Gateway (Firewall / Router)

Ah I hadn't thought of the controller.

once setup it would run as normal, without the controller. you could run the software controller on a server in their office if needed.

ppoe and vlan tagging is supported

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Hi all,

Any recommendations?

I use of pfsense firewall and it works great. You can run it on old pc hardware or get a nice low power mini pc from the likes of qotom.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

fmannix10 wrote: »
    I use of pfsense firewall and it works great. You can run it on old pc hardware or get a nice low power mini pc from the likes of qotom.

I'd second this. Have mine up and working for a year and no issues once configured which isn't the worst.

On a budget, get a 4 port i340-t2 or t4 based pci-e card which can be got for cheap. e.g HP NC365T is a 4 port server grade card.

Pop it into a thin client like a HP 620 Plus or Fujitsu Futro S900 and you would have a very powerful router indeed, or of course go the mini pc route. I found the Futro s900+NC365T route cheaper (ebay) and draws 10w idling. Otherwise go the Ubiquiti route for a more turn key solution.

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    I'd second this. Have mine up and working for a year and no issues once configured which isn't the worst.

On a budget, get a 4 port i340-t2 or t4 based pci-e card which can be got for cheap. e.g HP NC365T is a 4 port server grade card.

Pop it into a thin client like a HP 620 Plus or Fujitsu Futro S900 and you would have a very powerful router indeed, or of course go the mini pc route. I found the Futro s900+NC365T route cheaper (ebay) and draws 10w idling. Otherwise go the Ubiquiti route for a more turn key solution.

Jim

It defeats the plug and play requirement though

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

westyIrl wrote: »

Jim

Out of interest did you get pfsense working with ipv6. I gave it a try before but it wouldn't get an IP. Eir is my ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Does Vodafone use the same KN engineers? I had a Vodafone sales guy come to the door and he said he can get the connection installed faster because Vodafone have more pull on connections. I have an order with a different supplier and I am currently waiting for Civils to come out and work on the underground duct on the road down to the pole at my house and bring it up to spec, the date for work to be carried out by is November, but this Vodafone sales guy was adamant he can get it done faster as Vodafone use their own engineers,

not sure if I believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Vodafone use KN too, and i'm skeptical whether they have any advantage. And going by the last news article, i'd say it's the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If one provider had an advantage over the others there would be public complaints made and we would know about it.

Door to door sales men for both Eir and Vodafone get their commission once you sign up with them no matter what mess is left further down the line. They are prepared to say just about anything to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Out of interest did you get pfsense working with ipv6. I gave it a try before but it wouldn't get an IP. Eir is my ISP.

Hi fmannix. I never did try it with IPv6 as I'm just using it for failover from cellular to DSL and dealing with a couple of internal vlans. Didn't know there was an issue with it and IPv6. I'd imagine if the issue was with PfSense it would be well flagged. Eir issue maybe not so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Lad at the door was talking bllx Vodafone have a joint venture with ESB and have siro contractors but I only mention that as a technicality the fibre your being offered comes from open eirs network so it would be kn doing the work.
    No provider has any advantage and the door to door sales contractor has no pull whatsoever.
    If you cancel your order the notes associated with that order such as civils ect go in the bin with the order. That sales lad will do you more harm than help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Harcrid wrote: »
    I rang Vodafone again today to see if there was any change to the previous December fix date that I was given and was told "Good News" we have resolved the issue and we are ready to go ahead with the install. So they booked an engineer for next Wednesday.

I hung up the phone and by coincidence a KN van pulled up to install Vodafone at my next door neighbors house and I got chatting to him. When he went to check the DP there was no light on so he couldn't proceed. He told me he is sick of sales teams selling the product before its fully ready. So looks like my wait continues.

Looks like my luck may be turning. KN turned up for another connection attempt today and said its all ready to go. Install being carried out at the moment so lets see how it goes!

I run pfsense on a Watchguard Core... I like it.

But, as mentioned, the customer is looking for a fit and forget, dedicated unit.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

Our house is about 100m from our DP. Black box was put up in recent weeks but don't believe it is fully functioning in the area yet. Our neighbours served from the same DP are listed on the maps as having fibre coming to them soon, but we are on the map as not being in the planned rollout and checking our Eircode says the same.

Can anyone determine the logic behind this? Note we are a number of kilometres from the local exchange. Ours is the final DP that is being fibre enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is the DP you refer to the last one on the road, or does the fibre continue past you?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is the DP you refer to the last one on the road, or does the fibre continue past you?

It's the last DP to be fibre enabled, so the fibre doesn't continue on past our house. Poles continue on down the road to the neighbours, but they won't have fibre on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The scheme called for fibre extending from towns and villages only a limited distance along rural roads. obviously, there will be houses just past the point these lines terminate that were not intended to be serviced by the last DP on the route. Unfortunately it sounds like your house was not one of the ones intended to be served by the last DP.

If you are line of sight and on good terms with one of the houses that are earmarked for the last DP, you might be able to come to an arrangement to set up a directional radio link which would give you the same speed the neighbour gets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement