Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

To my knowledge there are three houses connected to the pole, ours and two others. Pretty much all equal distance from the DP, give or take maybe ten meters, maybe less. Just measuring quickly on Google Maps, we are only 50-60 meters from the DP.

Saying that the black box on the pole would only support two fibre connections coming off of it or something similar and that we are the ones to lose out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Eoin3 wrote: »
    Our house is about 100m from our DP. Black box was put up in recent weeks but don't believe it is fully functioning in the area yet. Our neighbours served from the same DP are listed on the maps as having fibre coming to them soon, but we are on the map as not being in the planned rollout and checking our Eircode says the same.

Can anyone determine the logic behind this? Note we are a number of kilometres from the local exchange. Ours is the final DP that is being fibre enabled.

What maps and where did you check the Eircode?

What maps and where did you check the Eircode?

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ (which I know isn't really updated very much) and https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ (which I know isn't really updated very much) and https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Forget fibrerollout.

I don't know how Airwire deal with premises that were not in open eir's original plan but were subsequently added but from what you've described I'd be surprised if your home was not included. They have passed 40000 extra premises in addition to their planned 300000 and hopefully you will be one of the 40000.

Thanks. Just really don't understand the logic behind the decision to not be originally included along with our neighbours.
    Not enough capacity at the DP? Extra 10m from the DP being enough to disqualify us? Guess we don't mind if we do end up getting it.

Will probably just wait until it's fully setup and available at the neighbours and then try calling the different providers and seeing which can set us up.
    One of the family spoke to a sales person calling house to house in a nearby town, recommended we go with another company and not their own. Reckoned they would be more likely to set us up. Nice of them, would've thought sales people would've been mad to get the commission for themselves!

• Advertisement

Thanks. Just really don't understand the logic behind the decision to not be originally included along with our neighbours.
    Not enough capacity at the DP? Extra 10m from the DP being enough to disqualify us? Guess we don't mind if we do end up getting it.

Will probably just wait until it's fully setup and available at the neighbours and then try calling the different providers and seeing which can set us up.
    One of the family spoke to a sales person calling house to house in a nearby town, recommended we go with another company and not their own. Reckoned they would be more likely to set us up. Nice of them, would've thought sales people would've been mad to get the commission for themselves!

I think the original 300000 may have come from a high level, perhaps desktop design. When they got on the ground they found more premises that were within reach.

When it goes live if your neighbour's Eircode says FTTH available and yours does not you will have been left out.

The sales persons advice is wrong also. If you are passing for one provider you should be passing for all. The only difference is some providers are quicker at updating their checkers than others.

I think the sales person was indicating that the other company may be more willing to install on premises that are not on the list. Said they had met other people who weren't eligible but later heard that another provider had installed on their premises.

As you understand it, does not being on the list mean the majority or all of the providers will outright refuse to deal with you?

I think the sales person was indicating that the other company may be more willing to install on premises that are not on the list. Said they had met other people who weren't eligible but later heard that another provider had installed on their premises.

As you understand it, does not being on the list mean the majority or all of the providers will outright refuse to deal with you?

If you're not on the list, known as the APQ file, you're not getting connected. It's as simple as that. Some providers might try to get you added to the APQ but this would be quite unusual and it would not be something I'd like to be relying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KerrAvon

I think the original 300000 may have come from a high level, perhaps desktop design. When they got on the ground they found more premises that were within reach.

When it goes live if your neighbour's Eircode says FTTH available and yours does not you will have been left out.

Our house was in a similar situation and it took a few weeks longer to show as available compared to those on the original rollout.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Harcrid wrote: »
    Looks like my luck may be turning. KN turned up for another connection attempt today and said its all ready to go. Install being carried out at the moment so lets see how it goes!

How did you get on?

Despite still having rectification date of 3rd December, I called my prospective ISP for an update today as i've seen vans in the area digging up the verge and others have had success from checking in periodically with their ISP in similar circumstances.

After being passed around and having to explain the whole story to 3 agents, I find out that "they" (unclear whether ISP or OpenEir) had cancelled my order because it is "undeliverable" and nobody thought it might be wise to inform me of that at any point.

So currently I have a half-installed, non-working connection, with no ISP, so no way of monitoring the issue with OpenEir as they don't talk to the consumer. However, a helpful person in said ISP is calling me back in the morning to"re-book" my order, which will no doubt involve re-treading much of the ground i've walked over the last two months.

Quality experience all round.

I have two complaints open with Comreg and DCCAE so i'll update them - probably won't do much, but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyone thinking they are getting a bad deal or think things are shoddy - just be thankful you don't live in Australia. I think they have the stupidest politicians in the OECD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cnocbui wrote: »
    Anyone thinking they are getting a bad deal or think things are shoddy - just be thankful you don't live in Australia. I think they have the stupidest politicians in the OECD.

Ah ... here .. the NBN rollout went without hitch .. sure (NOT !!) ... and i find Australian political tv shows and interview beat any comedy worldwide.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Sorry for not updating sooner. Surprisingly the install went ahead and I now have 300meg fibre. I’m delighted it’s finally here

According to KN guy only half the ports were live in the DP ( I think this is what he said) and that’s why my neighbour couldn’t get it. Two jams in my duct which he managed to clear and after that it went smoothly.

OpenEir vans in the estate today so I imagine they were fixing the other lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

How did you get on?

Despite still having rectification date of 3rd December, I called my prospective ISP for an update today as i've seen vans in the area digging up the verge and others have had success from checking in periodically with their ISP in similar circumstances.

After being passed around and having to explain the whole story to 3 agents, I find out that "they" (unclear whether ISP or OpenEir) had cancelled my order because it is "undeliverable" and nobody thought it might be wise to inform me of that at any point.

So currently I have a half-installed, non-working connection, with no ISP, so no way of monitoring the issue with OpenEir as they don't talk to the consumer. However, a helpful person in said ISP is calling me back in the morning to"re-book" my order, which will no doubt involve re-treading much of the ground i've walked over the last two months.

Quality experience all round.

I have two complaints open with Comreg and DCCAE so i'll update them - probably won't do much, but there you go!

Half installed and undeliverable?

ISP sent out an order to provide you with a phone line? To check and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Half installed and undeliverable?

Hi - appreciate your response as you are clearly in the know!

Half installed as in the fibre has been run in and terminated in the house but no ODP/ONT or router installed. I understand that this is not normal - from what i've read usually the engineer checks first for light at the DP and then won't run the fibre if there is no light. However, the engineer appeared to run the fibre first and check the DP later in my case for some reason.

ISP sent out an order to provide you with a phone line? To check and see?

Not sure what you mean here - No phone line - they cancelled my FTTH order (or rather said "the system did it automatically" as the service is undeliverable).

Amusingly enough, we had the ISP Sales reps on the doorstep yesterday - unfortunately whilst I was at work - I asked my wife to ask them (tongue in cheek) why they are selling a product they can't deliver :pac: (It's not their fault I know)

Since then, the ISP chap did call me back this morning to his credit and i've placed another order under the same customer number, so i'm back on the system. However, they insisted on sending another engineer out on Monday, even though I told them it would likely be futile. We'll see how it goes but I fear it will be a waste of time until OpenEir fix whatever the upstream issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hi - appreciate your response as you are clearly in the know!

Half installed as in the fibre has been run in and terminated in the house but no ODP/ONT or router installed. I understand that this is not normal - from what i've read usually the engineer checks first for light at the DP and then won't run the fibre if there is no light. However, the engineer appeared to run the fibre first and check the DP later in my case for some reason.

Not sure what you mean here - No phone line - they cancelled my FTTH order (or rather said "the system did it automatically" as the service is undeliverable).

Amusingly enough, we had the ISP Sales reps on the doorstep yesterday - unfortunately whilst I was at work - I asked my wife to ask them (tongue in cheek) why they are selling a product they can't deliver :pac: (It's not their fault I know)

Since then, the ISP chap did call me back this morning to his credit and i've placed another order under the same customer number, so i'm back on the system. However, they insisted on sending another engineer out on Monday, even though I told them it would likely be futile. We'll see how it goes but I fear it will be a waste of time until OpenEir fix whatever the upstream issue is.

I have the order in since June this year.

First of all to check I phoned Eir. Yes, we can have that installed by Tuesday next week. KN arrived, order cannot be done.

Phoned Vodafone. Yes we can have that order installed in a week. KN networks arrived, order cannot be done until September.

Phoned a local provider. Yes we now the property but cannot be sure that the DP is ready there. We will work with them to get it done. KN networks told them that additional work has to be done and this wont be until November.

Still chasing, still confused, still think the whole process is a joke.

They seem to have been doing the network backwards. The did the tree trimming, new poles fibre cables and DPs, then they worked on getting fibre from exchanges to the first DP that had been installed.

I know it was months after my DP was up before they sorted ducting and cabling in the village. If they had worked from the exchanges outward, then I don't think all these failed installs due to no light at the DP would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

NSAman wrote: »
    I have the order in since June this year.

First of all to check I phoned Eir. Yes, we can have that installed by Tuesday next week. KN arrived, order cannot be done.

Phoned Vodafone. Yes we can have that order installed in a week. KN networks arrived, order cannot be done until September.

Phoned a local provider. Yes we now the property but cannot be sure that the DP is ready there. We will work with them to get it done. KN networks told them that additional work has to be done and this wont be until November.

Still chasing, still confused, still think the whole process is a joke.

In the same boat myself - another install booked on friday morning - not looking good now because of the weather(i'm sure it will be used for a cancellation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

When Eir say "Fibre To The Home", are they obliged to actually run the cable into your home, or would they be happy to run it to a cabinet inside your front gate?

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    When Eir say "Fibre To The Home", are they obliged to actually run the cable into your home, or would they be happy to run it to a cabinet inside your front gate?

To the home
    But if it's really not feasable to bring it to the home they might depending on the installer you get if it's an airtight and watertight box above ground with power sockets with a cat 5 or better link to house at short distance
    Or you could run your own single mode fiber from house to box for connection
    ESB meter won't do ESB throw a wobbler when they find non siro Telco infrastructure in there

To the home
    But if it's really not feasable to bring it to the home they might depending on the installer you get if it's an airtight and watertight box above ground with power sockets with a cat 5 or better link to house at short distance
    Or you could run your own single mode fiber from house to box for connection
    ESB meter won't do ESB throw a wobbler when they find non siro Telco infrastructure in there

I'm thinking more along the lines of a P2P link perhaps something like this one:
    https://www.irishwireless.net/point-to-point-kits/small-business-ptp/sextant-ptp-5ghz-kit

Are you designated to get FTTH? If your house isn't near the DP, I would be surprised if it had been included..

I is connected!

Are you designated to get FTTH? If your house isn't near the DP, I would be surprised if it had been included..

The gate is a stone's throw from the DP but there's a 750m driveway, so they were never going to install at the house....

turbbo wrote: »
    I is connected!

7 long years waiting for good broadband since I moved to the sticks back in 2012.
    Didn't think I'd be waiting sooooo long. At least I'm connected now.

The gate is a stone's throw from the DP but there's a 750m driveway, so they were never going to install at the house....

Then they wouldn't install it at the gate no matter what, as the property wasn't designated to get it due to the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

turbbo wrote: »
    I is connected!

and not as much as a speedtest result1!

Then they wouldn't install it at the gate no matter what, as the property wasn't designated to get it due to the distance.
    As a matter of interest, what is the maximum range usually?

• Advertisement

Actually lots of addresses get added because their gate is right next to the dp. Get lots of manors in fields that are eligible and it's cutting close to a kilometer to the house from the road where the dp is.
    In some cases there's a dp on a passing road behind the manor that would only be 200m away
    but one assigned to them is the one by their driveway.
    so it's passing due to location of driveway rather than exact location of house.
    I've had people get orders for ftth but there's no dp anywhere near them because the eircode on Google maps drops a pip on an adjacent road which could be nowhere near them (their actual road wouldn't be a real road recognised by Google maps as it's a dirt track)
    For people in this exact situation I would say to build a box and run their own fibre to it it's realistically the only way they're going to get connected. Otherwise it'll be failed for planning which in many cases means the order will go no further when it gets realised the distance to cover.

If your trying to put a P2P link in you'd be getting fibre ont and modem all installed in the box and I'm sure there'd be a lot of throughput loss when it all gets picked up on the other side and sent back across you could probably find a decent electrical contractor to run fibre from box to house.
    It seems lots of eircodes get added from a map rather than someone actually looking from the ground. If the pip for eircode drops somewhere favourable for some odd reason it passes even if actual premises is physically not there. This creates a headache for surveys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement