Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Breakingbad123

750 meters is a long distance... None the less they will bring it it..a van with kn on the side will arrive to Rod your ducting under your driveway that contains your telephone wire.. Usually major problems trying to rod as most of them blocked over the years(muck small stones and bends) kn van says sorry and to call him when sorted. We dug a trench from the roadside by shovel (only need 6 inches under the ground to Bury some red esb pipe all the way to the house. Get a friend to help.. Afew hours should do... Then up the side of the house through the attic and down.. Mine working a treat.. Had 2mb for 20 years.. Now 950 mb... Don't expect eir to do anything for you.. They won't... Kn get paid by the job finished.. Not by the hour so take his phone number and stay connected with him and not eir. Just my 2 cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

750 meters is a long distance... None the less they will bring it it..a van with kn on the side will arrive to Rod your ducting under your driveway that contains your telephone wire.. Usually major problems trying to rod as most of them blocked over the years(muck small stones and bends) kn van says sorry and to call him when sorted. We dug a trench from the roadside by shovel (only need 6 inches under the ground to Bury some red esb pipe all the way to the house. Get a friend to help.. Afew hours should do... Then up the side of the house through the attic and down.. Mine working a treat.. Had 2mb for 20 years.. Now 950 mb... Don't expect eir to do anything for you.. They won't... Kn get paid by the job finished.. Not by the hour so take his phone number and stay connected with him and not eir. Just my 2 cents worth

750m
    You must have had the old overhead 3m fibre cause the current acome doesn't get issued out longer than 500m on a roll

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

exaisle wrote: »
    The gate is a stone's throw from the DP but there's a 750m driveway, so they were never going to install at the house....
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    Actually lots of addresses get added because their gate is right next to the dp. Get lots of manors in fields that are eligible and it's cutting close to a kilometer to the house from the road where the dp is.
    In some cases there's a dp on a passing road behind the manor that would only be 200m away
    but one assigned to them is the one by their driveway.
    so it's passing due to location of driveway rather than exact location of house.
    I've had people get orders for ftth but there's no dp anywhere near them because the eircode on Google maps drops a pip on an adjacent road which could be nowhere near them (their actual road wouldn't be a real road recognised by Google maps as it's a dirt track)
    For people in this exact situation I would say to build a box and run their own fibre to it it's realistically the only way they're going to get connected. Otherwise it'll be failed for planning which in many cases means the order will go no further when it gets realised the distance to cover.

If your trying to put a P2P link in you'd be getting fibre ont and modem all installed in the box and I'm sure there'd be a lot of throughput loss when it all gets picked up on the other side and sent back across you could probably find a decent electrical contractor to run fibre from box to house.
    It seems lots of eircodes get added from a map rather than someone actually looking from the ground. If the pip for eircode drops somewhere favourable for some odd reason it passes even if actual premises is physically not there. This creates a headache for surveys.

Sorry, I assumed the OPs reply meant their eircode was not included as being eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Walking the dog the other day I see the local halting site which is fairly large has a DP, not a single drop cable to be seen though and it doesn't look like there is any ducting so it would be overhead if there was one.
    We will be waiting a bit longer for 4k callout videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

limnam wrote: »
    and not as much as a speedtest result1!

as requested....

8649465679.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

turbbo wrote: »
    as requested....

8649465679.png

Curiously, mine is almost identical....142.33 down, 29.10 up and 3ms ping...

Everyone on 150 usually gets between 142 and 144. Eir seen to have the lowest pings to Irish servers, sub 10ms. Since switching to Airwire my pings are a little higher to I rish servers but just as good as Eir to anywhere else in the world. Only important to me when gaming and since very few servers are in Ireland it works out just as goos.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

tuxy wrote: »
    Only important to me when gaming and since very few servers are in Ireland it works out just as goos.
    Who knows, if Stadia or cloud gaming ever takes off, ping to servers (data centers) within Ireland might become more important!

Everyone on 150 usually gets between 142 and 144. Eir seen to have the lowest pings to Irish servers, sub 10ms. Since switching to Airwire my pings are a little higher to I rish servers but just as good as Eir to anywhere else in the world. Only important to me when gaming and since very few servers are in Ireland it works out just as goos.

Are you getting 10ms too? or better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm on sir FttH the last year and it's working out ok.
    A quick question. Virgin are trying to tell me their Gigabit service is the same.
    Am I right in thinking it's not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm on sir FttH the last year and it's working out ok.
    A quick question. Virgin are trying to tell me their Gigabit service is the same.
    Am I right in thinking it's not?

Virgin don't have a gigabit service in this country. 500 is the max speed they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gonzo wrote: »
    Virgin don't have a gigabit service in this country. 500 is the max speed they do.

You're right...it was Vodafone I was chatting to not virgin... same question:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Was 3rd time lucky for me on the install it was looking desperate for awhile

Thankfully Airwire stuck with me :)

Shortly after the joy of getting installed you're greeted with the reality of how shiote all your network infrastructure at home is. No need for it when pulling 2-3mbs if your lucky :D

Hard wired in. I'd say could push a bit more but the card is probably not great.

8646713841.png

Was 3rd time lucky for me on the install it was looking desperate for awhile

Thankfully Airwire stuck with me :)

Shortly after the joy of getting installed you're greeted with the reality of how shiote all your network infrastructure at home is. No need for it when pulling 2-3mbs if your lucky :D

Hard wired in. I'd say could push a bit more but the card is probably not great.

8646713841.png

Your ping is great - wonder how the best I seem to ever get is 10ms?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ping is more related to the provider. What pings do you get and what provider are you with?

I was hardwired into the router. Were you in your test?

I think Airwire has a pop in blacknight also where I tested to which might also reduce it

Gonzo wrote: »
    ping is more related to the provider. What pings do you get and what provider are you with?

Right - Airwire. 10ms ping.

I was hardwired into the router. Were you in your test?

I think Airwire has a pop in blacknight also where I tested to which might also reduce it

Yeah I'm hardwired in.

Are you getting 10ms too? or better?

No I could get 6 - 8 ms to Irish servers with Eir but with Airwire I get 12ms however everywhere else (UK servers, Europe, America ect) with Airwire is just as good as Eir for ping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Digiweb pings - mine and a few others with them I've seen (Galway/Mayo/Sligo) are always above other providers - about 12-18ms to Irish servers.

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    Digiweb pings - mine and a few others with them I've seen (Galway/Mayo/Sligo) are always above other providers - about 12-18ms to Irish servers.

What about pings to international servers? With Airwire I usually about 24ms to the UK and 32ms to Germany which is very close to what I was getting with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

What about pings to international servers? With Airwire I usually about 24ms to the UK and 32ms to Germany which is very close to what I was getting with Eir.

Around 28ms to London and around 40ms to Germany (multiple sites)

with Eir I get 2-4ms to Irish servers, 11 to 18ms to UK servers and 20+ms to France, Netherlands.

I heard PPPOE can add some latency compared to DHCP perhaps that what's going on.
    I wonder why Eir went with DHCP and most providers went with PPPOE.

I heard PPPOE can add some latency compared to DHCP perhaps that what's going on.
    I wonder why Eir went with DHCP and most providers went with PPPOE.

Interesting, never heard of this. I would have imagined once IP is assigned and "auth" is finished it would have no bearing on latency

Interesting, never heard of this. I would have imagined once IP is assigned and "auth" is finished it would have no bearing on latency

Yeah I don't really understand it but I think with PPPOE encapsulation is used which does have an overhead on all data but it's small so you wouldn't notice any real difference in speed however I think it may also have a slight latency penalty of a few milliseconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can use either or on Eir (DHCP/PPPoE) and you have to use PPPoE for fixed IP.

Most providers would have chosen PPPoE because it allows for less waste of their IP resources and IPv4 is becoming more and more scarse. The IPv4 pool was officially depleted mid 2012 in the RIPE region, which covers Europe. That is 7 years ago. No more IPv4 to be got. Providers have to make due with what they have or buy/lease IP adresses.

There is some overhead with PPPoE due to the lower MTU and fragmentation (1480 or 1492 opposed to 1500). Airwire specifically supports baby jumbos on most of their network allowing a MTU of 1500, but you'd need a router that supports that. Fritz!boxes need a hack and not every model of them allows for it yet.

/M

Does all of airwires traffic go through digiweb? Looks like it from tracert results.
    Also tonight I'm getting lower latency to UK servers than Irish ones, what causes that?

Does all of airwires traffic go through digiweb? Looks like it from tracert results.
    Also tonight I'm getting lower latency to UK servers than Irish ones, what causes that?

I would have imagined it depends where you are.

I seem to always head up to the POP in what looks like bk's dc in Carlow for anything in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

No. We have uplinks from CenturyLink/Level3, Cogent, NTT and Viatel plus 2 connections to INEX. That gives us a good mix between Ireland, Europe, Americas and Asia, with possibly the best routes one can get.

Some of the Viatel IP addresses can be mislabeled as Digiweb, as Digiweb is a daughter company of Viatel. Also, Digiweb have a large hosting datacenter in Ireland, so a lot of services are hosted there. Another reason, why you could see Digiweb addresses when doing a traceroute to an irish server.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement