Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

limnam wrote: »
    I seem to always head up to the POP in what looks like bk's dc in Carlow for anything in Ireland.

Biggest mainstream hosters with the most competitive pricing in Ireland are pretty much Blacknight and Digiweb (hosting). So yes .. a lot of dedicated servers would be found in those 2 datacenters.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Just had Eir Ftth connected on the 300mb package. Any reason I'm getting 180/190 only over WiFi? Obviously expect it to be a bit off the 300 but didn't expect that much.

Strangely just checked and I'm getting only 74 hardwired to router.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just had Eir Ftth connected on the 300mb package. Any reason I'm getting 180/190 only over WiFi? Obviously expect it to be a bit off the 300 but didn't expect that much.

First eliminate limitations with the equipment/PC/phone you are testing with.
    Then try to eliminate any possible interference with wifi signal, like electrical equipment or some other wifi network on the same channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's not bad for WIFI speeds. You could try wider channels over 5 ghz if there is not many 5 ghz traffic in your area.

As for wired it sounds like you are connected at 100Mbs so the problem will be either with the cable you are using or the network card on the device.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that's better than what I get over Wifi, with 2.4g I rarely get more than 30 or 40meg, with 5g I get anywhere from 30 to 150 and signal drops fairly sharply as I walk away from the modem. Wired is never an issue, always get around 286 down and 48 up.

tuxy wrote:
    That's not bad for WIFI speeds. You could try wider channels over 5 ghz if there is not many 5 ghz traffic in your area.

As for wired it sounds like you are connected at 100Mbs so the problem will be either with the cable you are using or the network card on the device.

Thanks for reply. I'm happy enough with 200 over WiFi but how would I go about trying wider channels over 5ghz?

Also, checked the WiFi cable that I'm using and it's a cat 5e cable. Isn't that capable of much more than 100mb? Hardwired to a new Sony TV so can't see how the network card might be dated.

Gonzo wrote:
    that's better than what I get over Wifi, with 2.4g I rarely get more than 30 or 40meg, with 5g I get anywhere from 30 to 150 and signal drops fairly sharply as I walk away from the modem. Wired is never an issue, always get around 286 down and 48 up.

Yeah I'm getting 200mb on 5g and about 50mb on 2.4ghz. Would a WiFi homeplug work the boost my signal upstairs? It's weak as water.

Thanks for reply. I'm happy enough with 200 over WiFi but how would I go about trying wider channels over 5ghz?

Also, checked the WiFi cable that I'm using and it's a cat 5e cable. Isn't that capable of much more than 100mb? Hardwired to a new Sony TV so can't see how the network card might be dated.

I just reread and see you are with Eir so are probably using the F2000. I know some of the routers other providers use support wider wifi channels (fritzbox) but I don't think the F2000 has this support, if it does it will be a setting to change VHT from 20 to 40 or 80.

Yes a cat5e cable will do 1Gbps when paired with a fast network card.
    TV's are usually supplied with very slow network connections even over wired as the applications they use don't need much data.A 4k video stream to a TV only uses about 25 Mps. You would need a laptop or PC that's not more than a few year old to test the wired connection.

tuxy wrote:
    I just reread and see you are with Eir so are probably using the F2000. I know some of the routers other providers use support wider wifi channels (fritzbox) but I don't think the F2000 has this support, if it does it will be a setting to change VHT from 20 to 40 or 80.

Yes a cat5e cable will do 1Gbps when paired with a fast network card. TV's are usually supplied with very slow network connections even over wired as the applications they use don't need much data.A 4k video stream to a TV only uses about 25 Mps. You would need a laptop or PC that's not more than a few year old to test the wired connection.

Thanks that's great info. Just tried a wired connection to a laptop with a cat 6 and cat 5e cable and still getting 60/70mb. Something doesn't add up.

• Advertisement

Thanks that's great info. Just tried a wired connection to a laptop with a cat 6 and cat 5e cable and still getting 60/70mb. Something doesn't add up.

No problem.
    Is it a Dell laptop and what speed does it connect at?

If on windows 10 this is how to check
    https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

tuxy wrote: »

Yes a cat5e cable will do 1Gbps when paired with a fast network card.
    TV's are usually supplied with very slow network connections even over wired as the applications they use don't need much data.A 4k video stream to a TV only uses about 25 Mps. You would need a laptop or PC that's not more than a few year old to test the wired connection.

I know you can set vht on unifi kit but didn't think the fritz could do it.

Do you know where the setting is on fritz?

On the fritz the ports can be changed to 100mb

is there a way to tell what speed the nic is connected at?

Does windows think it's connected at 1gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Quick question lads that no doubt has been asked before. I'm 400m, 600m and 1k away from nearest DPs, is it a waiting game for NBP or can anything be done at all. Think eir stopped short during rural rollout because of trees in the way alongside the road.

Quick question lads that no doubt has been asked before. I'm 400m, 600m and 1k away from nearest DPs, is it a waiting game for NBP or can anything be done at all. Think eir stopped short during rural rollout because of trees in the way alongside the road.

Is your eircode marked for it on the open eir roll out map?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Is your eircode marked for it on the open eir roll out map?

No, not on airwave either. Just asking on the off chance that someone else was similar distance but managed to get FTTH. I was hoping that if my neighbours and I got the trees sorted then eir would do the necessary cabling.

I know you can set vht on unifi kit but didn't think the fritz could do it.

Do you know where the setting is on fritz?

You're right, I don't have a fritzbox but I had read on here it supports wider 5 ghz channels.
    It does but you have no control over it. The FRITZ!Box 7490 will try to use 40 mhz and fall back to 20 mhz if there are too many routers using 5ghz in the area.

No, not on airwave either. Just asking on the off chance that someone else was similar distance but managed to get FTTH. I was hoping that if my neighbours and I got the trees sorted then eir would do the necessary cabling.

Unfortunately even people closer than you are have had no luck getting their address added to the list.
    Open Eir won't be interested, they a target number to hit and have that mapped out. That's all they will focus on for this phase.

tuxy wrote: »
    You're right, I don't have a fritzbox but I had read on here it supports wider 5 ghz channels.
    It does but you have no control over it. The FRITZ!Box 7490 will try to use 40 mhz and fall back to 20 mhz if there are too many routers using 5ghz in the area.

Ah, no worries I thought I was just been dim not spotting it

tuxy wrote:
    No problem. Is it a Dell laptop and what speed does it connect at?

If on windows 10 this is how to check

Just checked this and its showing as 100mb. Is there a way to change it or what does this mean?

• Advertisement

Just checked this and its showing as 100mb. Is there a way to change it or what does this mean?

Eithier your card is 100mb

the port on the router switch is set to 100mb.

The cable is actually cat5

or something is set to make the card negotiate at 100mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Run device manager. Open the network adapters arrow and post what is listed for Ethernet adapter.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/7-ways-to-access-device-manager-in-windows-10.html

Cheers lads. Turns out laptop network card is only 100mbps. Assuming the TV is the same so their both maxed out then. Picking up only 13mbps on the laptop WI-FI.

Got a whole host of options in network adaptors but the one it's using is Realtek PCle FE Family controller. That's 100mbps. Tried to check the speed of others but it isn't possible.

No, not on airwave either.

You'll be looking long and hard for FTTH on airwave's website. They only do fixed wireless around Co. Cork. :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cheers lads. Turns out laptop network card is only 100mbps. Assuming the TV is the same so their both maxed out then. Picking up only 13mbps on the laptop WI-FI.

Got a whole host of options in network adaptors but the one it's using is Realtek PCle FE Family controller. That's 100mbps. Tried to check the speed of others but it isn't possible.

Time for a laptop update. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

or stick one of these dual band USB dongles in your laptop USB socket if your laptop only has a 10/100 card in it . i got one and picking up 5ghz Dual band connection grand - even better get the USB 3.0 version

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3389780/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C50000560%7CNetworking%7C50000563/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000563%7CWireless+networking+accessories%7C50000589.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

The fun and games continues with my install.

After my ISP cancelled my order without telling me due to "service being non-deliverable". They put in a new order for me and booked in an engineer appointment, despite me telling them that there are outstanding issues with the so-called "blocked duct" and that it would most likely be a wasted visit.

In any case they insisted as it was "part of the process", and again OpenEir called me to confirm the appointment, again I warned them it would probably be a waste of their time and mine as I had to take time off from work, and again they insisted. The person confirming the engineer visit had no record of any issues in the area.

I take the time off and again a KN engineer attends - another nice, helpful guy, but of course there is still no light at the DP on any port and his time was wasted. He said this happens all the time and that "OpenEir are a joke". He had no record of any prior visit, was surprised fibre had been run into the property and had no knowledge that there were problems in the area.

Receive a text message later from ISP saying the date for resolution is delayed further - from 3rd December - now it's 14th December!

Updated timeline:

Timeline:
    Mid-July - availability checkers says FTTH available on 07/08/2019

07/08/2019 - Order placed via ISP

12/08/2019 - KN Group engineer attends, completes last leg of termination and is unable to complete install due to no light at the DP

15/08/2019 - ISP confirms that estimated date for resolution is 29/09/2019 but may be completed sooner

30/08/2019 - SMS received saying estimated date of completion is 03/12/2019

01/10/2019 - Ring ISP for status update to find out they've cancelled my order without telling me. Say they will investigate and call me the next day.

02/10/2019 - Order re-placed. Insist on sending Engineer despite the stated issues and pre-advised resolution dates.

07/10/2019 - Engineer attends, still no light at DP, logs the visit as failed and leaves.

09/10/2019 - SMS received from ISP - Estimated resolution further delayed to 14th December.

or stick one of these dual band USB dongles in your laptop USB socket if your laptop only has a 10/100 card in it

That will only help if the laptop has a specification, that will be able to pull more. The chances are, that if the laptop only has a 10/100 card, it won't do much better with a gbit/s adapter, as it's spec (cpu/ram etc.) also is outdated.

/M

The fun and games continues with my install.

so painful

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement