Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still waiting myself.

2 months on after ordering with Vodafone and OpenEir came out themselves for the first time to have a look why it could't be done from the 3 previous visits. Guy arrived and found trees trimmed, ducts cleared, and a new draw rope installed. They seem like they're moving the DP now, so another month or 2 for that and then however long it takes for the install visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭recyclebin

cnocbui wrote: »
    In other words, SKY were trying it on, but have been seen off.

They settled so Sky must have got what they wanted. Its the consumer that ends up paying the 170 euro everytime they switch provider is the problem here. It doesn't reflect the actual cost of installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Sky poaching customers and not wanting to cover the cost to openeir for the installation is a related issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

recyclebin wrote: »
    They settled so Sky must have got what they wanted. Its the consumer that ends up paying the 170 euro everytime they switch provider is the problem here. It doesn't reflect the actual cost of installation.

The average cost of installations is well known.
    Each user should have to pay that in increments as they switch provider.
    There should be a running balance showing what has been paid by the customer and also what has been contributed by the ISP.

Once the total has been paid there should be no further charge (except the real cost of <€3.

I guess this would be just too simple and open for the likes of ComReg, and instead they arrange for the customer to be screwed.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »

Got what they wanted? Seen any announcement dropping the €170 switching fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiS2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9uZXdzL2J1c2luZXNzLzIwMTkvMTAxNy8xMDg0MDE1LWVpci1yZXZhbXBlZC10di1zZXJ2aWNlL9IBH2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9hbXAvMTA4NDAxNS8?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

Eir have changed the f2000 since Thursday and I think they're using f3000 the TV portion will now be posted out to the customer in the form of appletv app downloaded then pulls credentials from modem
    Homeplugs no longer needed and wiring no longer needed

Vodafone is likely to start posting out gigabox modems sh3000
    Pure have added f2000 to their range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

babi-hrse wrote: »
    https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiS2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9uZXdzL2J1c2luZXNzLzIwMTkvMTAxNy8xMDg0MDE1LWVpci1yZXZhbXBlZC10di1zZXJ2aWNlL9IBH2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9hbXAvMTA4NDAxNS8?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen
    /QUOTE]

Surely ,everyone has appleTV 4k STB. What of bunch of ....They could just add support for SMART TV (Samsung, LG etc) instead.
    Eir Sports APP so pathetic ...never worked well for me.

/QUOTE]

Surely ,everyone has appleTV 4k STB. What of bunch of ....They could just add support for SMART TV (Samsung, LG etc) instead.
    Eir Sports APP so pathetic ...never worked well for me.

I thought that too, but if you read the article you would have noted the bit where an TV is supplied free, with one years TV subscription included I love the bit about €9.99 for each additional room...

So €80 a month for FTTH, €20 for Eir TV, and another €5 for TV+. Only €1,260 a year. €1380 if you add another room.

In a word - no.

Anyone know if you can cancel FTTH and reactivate the copper to go back to slow ADSL? I'm about to get the €30 bump to €80 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

Anyone know if you can cancel FTTH and reactivate the copper to go back to slow ADSL? I'm about to get the €30 bump to €80 a month.

Wouldnt you just switch to another reseller? Plenty of them around the €50 mark for FTTH in the first year.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    Wouldnt you just switch to another reseller? Plenty of them around the €50 mark for FTTH in the first year.

I'll probably do that - €170 to switch, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'll probably do that - €170 to switch, though.

€170 is the fee charged to the ISP by open eir. As far as I know none of them then pass the full amount on to the customer. Digiweb, for example, seems to be €49.95 activation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

€170 is the fee charged to the ISP by open eir. As far as I know none of them then pass the full amount on to the customer. Digiweb, for example, seems to be €49.95 activation fee.

In addition, last time I checked, Airwire, if you take an 18 month contract, had a €0 charge to switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

In addition, last time I checked, Airwire, if you take an 18 month contract, had a €0 charge to switch.

Yup, that's what I was just about to recommend. 18 month contract, free switch and €50 a month with no change to price after the contract is up.
    I'm with them almost two months now and very happy.

How do I cancel with Eir? My contract was up on the 8th of this month. Can they roll you into a new contract automatically? Is their a cooling off period for the rollover if so?

After your contract is over it's one month roll overs. It should be just as easy as giving your UAN to the new provider, that's all I did.
    You will have two UAN's one for VOIP and one for broadband which you can see on myeir, make sure you give the broadband UAN.

Of course it's Eir and while the UAN system should be foolproof you do have to be careful they don't try to overcharge you.
    You pay one month in advance with Eir so you should owe them nothing after a switch using UAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

How do I cancel with Eir? My contract was up on the 8th of this month. Can they roll you into a new contract automatically? Is their a cooling off period for the rollover if so?

This is how I did my DSL/Landline recently and is going ok so far.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111455725&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I just ordered FTTH with Digiweb and they cancelled my Eir account automatically the day the Digiweb connection went live. I got a cheque refund in the post from Eir a few days later, for I presume the paid in advance and unused part of my last month. I never had to contact Eir at all. In fairness to all the horror stories I’ve heard about Eir here I never had one reason to complain in 6 years. I was lucky I guess. Have to also say the process of ordering and setting up with Digiweb was also hassle free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Eir have changed the f2000 since Thursday and I think they're using f3000 the TV portion will now be posted out to the customer in the form of appletv app downloaded then pulls credentials from modem
    Homeplugs no longer needed and wiring no longer needed

Vodafone is likely to start posting out gigabox modems sh3000
    Pure have added f2000 to their range

Do you know the Huewai model number of the new eir modem?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully the new Eir modem has a more stable and better wifi signal.

• Advertisement

No info about it online yet. Does anyone have an idea which re-branded router it will be?

tuxy wrote: »
    After your contract is over it's one month roll overs. It should be just as easy as giving your UAN to the new provider, that's all I did.
    You will have two UAN's one for VOIP and one for broadband which you can see on myeir, make sure you give the broadband UAN.

Of course it's Eir and while the UAN system should be foolproof you do have to be careful they don't try to overcharge you.
    You pay one month in advance with Eir so you should owe them nothing after a switch using UAN.

Thanks all. I have gone with Airwire, though it was a close thing with Sky.

Thanks all. I have gone with Airwire, though it was a close thing with Sky.

A lucky escape some would say..... ;)

I never had a problem with Sky for broadband or Eir for Fibre. Sky are €120 cheaper over an initial 12 months, if one wants to switcheroo every year.

I never had a problem with Sky for broadband or Eir for Fibre. Sky are €120 cheaper over an initial 12 months, if one wants to switcheroo every year.

And airwire are cheaper if you go with the 18 month contract?

Yeah, then they are €38 cheaper, and even more so going forward.

Yeah, then they are €38 cheaper, and even more so going forward.

Yeah just checking it now. Sky have changed prices since I last looked. €35 a month for 12 months and only €50 to switch. They have to be losing money at that price, I wonder how they plan on retaining customers as that's the only thing that would make it viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully the new Eir modem has a more stable and better wifi signal.

I was driving through Dunshaughlin today and noticed that open eir have ducting for fibre installed on some poles in the town (beside the cemetery). The urban build must have started. It's going to be a very well connected place in a short while!

I was driving through Dunshaughlin today and noticed that open eir have ducting for fibre installed on some poles in the town (beside the cemetery). The urban build must have started. It's going to be a very well connected place in a short while!

There was one poster claiming at least six months ago that it had started inside Thurles town. Not confirmed though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I noticed that too. I also saw them in one of the estates today, manholes open and lots of cones forcing people to walk on the opposite side of the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement