Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

fritzelly wrote: »
    Surprised you didn't bring in a charge, if even nominal, after eir introducing a charge

The economics of it didn't change for us - eir were always our biggest competition, if only because of name recognition, and them introducing an installation charge only makes our offering the more attractive. We'll still lose money if a customer switches when their 12-month contract is up, but that just makes it the more important for us to keep customers happy so they won't want to switch.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Can you clarify something?

Free installation if I switch to airwire from let’s say Vodafone ptsn and sign an 18 month contract?

Hi,
    it has to be same technology. So changing from VDSL to FTTH means new line installation.

We won't offer free installation on new FTTH lines with OpenEIR due to it's cost to us. It's not the provider change, that makes the difference. It's the fact, that the line needs to be installed.

Until the end of April, even re-activating an already installed FTTH circuit caused us the full install fee in cost. That has been rectified now, so it's the same as a provider move.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Yeh out the rosnowlagh road

Good to see that, they must definitely be filling in gaps in the green which don't have adequate service.

I was wondering where they had went after leaving the Knather, haven't seen any activity out the Belleek road way either though.

Was it civil guys out the Rossnowlagh road or cables guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

AidenL wrote: »
    Good to see that, they must definitely be filling in gaps in the green which don't have adequate service.

I was wondering where they had went after leaving the Knather, haven't seen any activity out the Belleek road way either though.

Was it civil guys out the Rossnowlagh road or cables guys?

Think it was civil. They went out the belleek road but you wouldnt notice much as its mainly underground and there arent many people on the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Eir has started installing FTTH boxes in Newport Co. Tipperary. There is one on the pole beside Rockvale Cemetery and one a pole on the L2110 road to Nenagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

That’s good, they must be making good speed then.

Bodes well for live before end of the year hopefully.

I see they ran the coil which was on the pole at my house up the pole in the last few days also.
    Think it was civil. They went out the belleek road but you wouldnt notice much as its mainly underground and there arent many people on the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thomond9112

Hi everyone!

Had a KN guy out yesterday - he needs a hoist to clear away some tree branches, but once he can come back out with that, we should be good to go :-)

Just one question (haven't seen an answer to this yet...) - what dimensions are the ODP and ONT? I'm trying to figure out where they would be best placed in the house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi everyone!

Had a KN guy out yesterday - he needs a hoist to clear away some tree branches, but once he can come back out with that, we should be good to go :-)

Just one question (haven't seen an answer to this yet...) - what dimensions are the ODP and ONT? I'm trying to figure out where they would be best placed in the house....

ODP: 105 * 80 * 25mm

ONT: 90 * 82 * 25mm

Power required for the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thomond9112

ODP: 105 * 80 * 25mm

ONT: 90 * 82 * 25mm

Power required for the ONT.

You're a star - thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Just noticed that they have run fibre between the poles and fitted boxes for an extra 1km than on the map shown for Cong, Mayo. The reason for this is it seems two houses they included in the roll out aren't fed from the side the map shows (yellow line). As such they have had to travel further up the road they are actually wired from to include them. So there's 5 or 6 houses who will now be able to get FTTH that previously had been over looked. Wonder if they even realise their luck!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

What’s the map that shows the season like Winter 2018. I’ve been checking 2 maps for a while, the opener map which was just updated on 21/05 and for the life of me I can’t find the other.

I thought it was the NGA map but it seems to link back to the same thing now - unless I’m being totally stupid which is a very real possibility.

Gboyd wrote: »
    What’s the map that shows the season like Winter 2018. I’ve been checking 2 maps for a while, the opener map which was just updated on 21/05 and for the life of me I can’t find the other.

I thought it was the NGA map but it seems to link back to the same thing now - unless I’m being totally stupid which is a very real possibility.

You are thinking of the NGA map on openeir.ie. They have discontinued it and the openeir map is now the same as fibrerollout.ie.

You still should be able to get the date from the new map. Zoom right in to the exchange area and you should see a blue or green icon with a circle in it. Click on that and you should get a popup with the info. However you may have to use a desktop or laptop as I don't get the popup using Chrome on an Android tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

Thanks Navi, I’m glad I wasn’t being totally stupid.

Will try on a desktop then, defo not seeing the data on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Both Eir and K&N were stringing fibre between poles yesterday along the R363 outside Ballygar, Co. Galway. It's the road towards Ballinamore Bridge. Was still a cherry picker there this morning tweaking things. Ballygar is down for autumn/winter 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There is a provision in the contract for, I believe, six months delay without penalties. I think it is likely that they will need this extra time as it seems unlikely that they can make the end of 2018 deadline.
    2.2 The Minister may, at his option, elect prior to the expiry of the Initial Term or a

Term Extension, to extend this Agreement (on the same terms and conditions of

this Agreement ) beyond the Initial Term for a further period or periods of up to one

year each, by writte n notice to eir (each a "Term Extension").

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KOR101 wrote: »
    2.2 The Minister may, at his option, elect prior to the expiry of the Initial Term or a

Term Extension, to extend this Agreement (on the same terms and conditions of

this Agreement ) beyond the Initial Term for a further period or periods of up to one

year each, by writte n notice to eir (each a "Term Extension").

Seems the minister can extend the period multiple times for a maximum of one year each time, with no limit on the total length of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Well I guess my saga is just beginning. I m curious if they are simply telling people the service is live so they will sign up only to tell them later that it will be another 2 months.
    Any one successfully cancelled their order?

Order placed  April 23rd
    First KN network visit May 8th, needs traffic management and to reschedule
    Second KN network visit May 15th, DP not live, first guy didn't bother checking, needs to go back to Eir
    Call Eir, DP to go live 25th of May - call back after to re book
    Call Eir today, DP work to activate DP not happening until  25th of June - call back after to re book

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The DP not active is very common, your neighbours could be all active and you're the unlucky one that got a broken one

As for the sales guys - yeah, they are told to go out selling when areas are not fully live.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is the first rollout thats been so granular. Dial up was the whole MDF(1000s of lines), DSL the same mostly, VDSL 200 paths at a time but FTTH is clusters of 8. The telesales people and door to door gremlins have never really had to handle this kinda messiness - not that that is an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In fairness installing a copper line and subsequent exchange upgrades was a lot easier than laying fibre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

It's some pain wasting 2 mornings for the KN guys to turn only for it to be not even ready.

I don't know what I expected, to be one of the lucky hassle free ones I guess.

Just hope they turn off the current connection because the new one should have been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

fritzelly wrote: »
    In fairness installing a copper line and subsequent exchange upgrades was a lot easier than laying fibre

Easier and rubbish compared to fibre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Their cloak and dagger approach to whatever they are testing is rather infuriating.

The DCCAE updated the Rural Deployment Progress yesterday. It is not good news again.

In Q1 2018 Openeir passed 24645 premises, well below the 38000 scheduled in the commitment agreement. It is the second quarter in a row that they have missed their target after blaming poor performance in Q4 2017 on Storm Ophelia.

They should be at 170000 premises at this stage according to the plan, however the total stands at 145212. 155363 premises remain outstanding.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Works finally started in Bweeng, Co.Cork yesterday with yellow cabling pulled through 4/5 ducts - it looks like the guys had an awful job as in infrastructure is an absolute mess by the looks of it.

This is the first broadband of any kind will be made available so that should give us an idea how bad things are in the area.

The DCCAE updated the Rural Deployment Progress yesterday. It is not good news again.

In Q1 2018 Openeir passed 24645 premises, well below the 38000 scheduled in the commitment agreement. It is the second quarter in a row that they have missed their target after blaming poor performance in Q4 2017 on Storm Ophelia.

They should be at 170000 premises at this stage according to the plan, however the total stands at 145212. 155363 premises remain outstanding.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Will be interesting to see what fine the gov will impose if any? Also when are enet due to kickoff on the NBP? Would be funny to see NBP areas up before Eir finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

turbbo wrote: »
    Would be funny to see NBP areas up before Eir finished.
    The problem is that can't happen in delayed areas when the winner needs to piggyback on EIR's existing infrastructure. It makes scheduling the NBP rollout even more difficult and of course it's not in EIRs interest for things to happen quickly.

It's looking increasingly likely that EIR have simply not ramped up their programme to the over 40k per quarter premises that they had planned. I suppose we should be glad that it's at least staying level.

KOR101 wrote: »
    the winner needs to piggyback on EIR's existing infrastructure.

Is this the case everywhere in the country? I thought the "winner" (thought it was ENET) would be using quite a bit of their own infrastructure.

• Advertisement

turbbo wrote: »
    Is this the case everywhere in the country? I thought the "winner" (thought it was ENET) would be using quite a bit of their own infrastructure.

What infrastructure? Their MANs are all in larger regional towns. They have no rural distribution network so it would have to be built from scratch. How long would that take?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement