Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Just a bit of advice - don't get too excited :p

I'm sitting here 4 months after I first saw that green light and i'm not likely to get a working connection for at least another 2 months yet!

Don't ruin the buzz! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Sorry! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just a bit of advice - don't get too excited :p

I'm sitting here 4 months after I first saw that green light and i'm not likely to get a working connection for at least another 2 months yet!

Like a dagger through the heart lol

I suppose this isnt the case for everyone when it finally goes green for their area?

Come the 20th do I ring Eir or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Headshot wrote: »

I suppose this isnt the case for everyone when it finally goes green for their area?

Some places accept pre-orders.

I pre-ordered with Air-wire and they automatically booked it the day it was available.

I don't think it gets it any quicker but it's handy to have it done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am just in the process of switching from Eir to Airwire. No problems experienced with Eir - so far, touch wood - it's just the price increase after 12 months is savage. Customer service and quality of supplied router are better with Airwire and they work out cheaper long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rat7

Im nearly in tears here

Tears of Joy

I've waited for this day so long

4QVtySr.png?1

20th of November baby

Would you mind sharing what county/area do you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

fibrepower@openeir.ie has been deactivated. I am working for someone who has a new build and wants to get FTTH with phone. They are in the light blue area on DCCAE due to it being a new build while all neighbours are dark blue dots as they are ready to be connected. At the moment they have signed up for phone and 100Mb broadband with eir, due to be installed next week. They are moving in next week so probably not enough time to change it to FTTH within the week especially with the bank holiday but what way do you even go about doing this now that fibrepower is gone?

FibrePower wrote:

Thank you for your email to the Fibre Roll-Out Team.

This mailbox is no longer active please contact your service provider who can advise on fibre availability in your area.

If you are a Service Provider or Broadband Officer please contact your Wholesale Representative.

The following link provides an eircode map to enable you establish if fibre is available at your location.

DCCAE NBP Map

Kind regards

The Fibre Rollout Team

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

daraghwal wrote: »
    fibrepower@openeir.ie has been deactivated. I am working for someone who has a new build and wants to get FTTH with phone. They are in the light blue area on DCCAE due to it being a new build while all neighbours are dark blue dots as they are ready to be connected. At the moment they have signed up for phone and 100Mb broadband with eir, due to be installed next week. They are moving in next week so probably not enough time to change it to FTTH within the week especially with the bank holiday but what way do you even go about doing this now that fibrepower is gone?

If the area has ftth it's very unlikely they will be able to get more than 7mbps on a copper line if even as that's primarily the reason ftth is rolled out in those areas.
    Unless it's a new build housing estate I think your gonna have to physically get in contact with someone near the top to get added as most new builds aren't indexed. Are they able to order ftth no?

babi-hrse wrote: »
    If the area has ftth it's very unlikely they will be able to get more than 7mbps on a copper line if even as that's primarily the reason ftth is rolled out in those areas.
    Unless it's a new build housing estate I think your gonna have to physically get in contact with someone near the top to get added as most new builds aren't indexed. Are they able to order ftth no?

Going to ring eir back again monday to see what the story is. I had asked for broadband and they put him down for some phone only service so don't know if they're even going to send out a modem with the phone now... Rang pure telecom to see if they were any wiser in and they said get onto SIRO or Openeir... I would go with airwire and I know they would sort things fairly quickly but unfortunately I need a phone line also and they don't offer it in my part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daraghwal wrote: »
    Going to ring eir back again monday to see what the story is. I had asked for broadband and they put him down for some phone only service so don't know if they're even going to send out a modem with the phone now... Rang pure telecom to see if they were any wiser in and they said get onto SIRO or Openeir... I would go with airwire and I know they would sort things fairly quickly but unfortunately I need a phone line also and they don't offer it in my part of the country.

Is the Eircode for the premises passing for FTTH on the Airwire checker?

If not the premises is not on the APQ from Openeir for FTTH and you will not be able to order FTTH until it gets put there. The issue for you is how to get it added. There are a few things you can try, none of which are guaranteed to succeed.

You could approach some of the smaller ISPs (not Pure who obviously don't have a clue) to see if they had a contact who could speed up the process.

Contact the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie explaining your situation. The contract eir signed with the Government states that new build premises should be added within a reasonable timeframe.

Contact your local broadband officer to see if they could assist.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b49914-broadband-officers-contact-list/

All of this is likely to take much longer than a week I'm afraid.

All of this is likely to take much longer than a week I'm afraid.

That's what I was thinking, probably best press ahead with FTTC + Phone and contact DCCAE/Broadband Officer after seeing as FTTC will probably be useless.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi,

Is there any way to get visibility on upcoming rollout plans? My Eircode still doesn't have FTTH available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Folks for the FTTH last year been savage to be honest ....got the free TV etc via the eir package at the time etc ..****ed the sky box out ....anyway the initial contract is up next month I take it I can sign up with any provider now no bother ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vego wrote: »
    Folks for the FTTH last year been savage to be honest ....got the free TV etc via the eir package at the time etc ..****ed the sky box out ....anyway the initial contract is up next month I take it I can sign up with any provider now no bother ?

Yes. I think most of these ISPs sell FTTH.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Vego wrote: »

Yes, different providers will have different switch over fees. Some are free to switch with an 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

My contract with Eir is coming to an end, I am on 1000/100 plan. I 've checked prices and the cheapest seems to be vodafone, 25euro per month first 6months and then 85euro for a 12month contract, no activation fees or anything else. Has anyone spotted anything better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AstraMonti wrote: »
    My contract with Eir is coming to an end, I am on 1000/100 plan. I 've checked prices and the cheapest seems to be vodafone, 25euro per month first 6months and then 85euro for a 12month contract, no activation fees or anything else. Has anyone spotted anything better?

€79.00 a month with airwire and never have to worry about switching over again.

Do you really use that much bandwidth? What impact would it have if you were on 300Mbps? Is it the upload speed that you need?

tuxy wrote: »
    €79.00 a month with airwire and never have to worry about switching over again.

Do you really use that much bandwidth? What impact would it have if you were on 300Mbps? Is it the upload speed that you need?

Thanks, yes I mostly need the upload but I don't mind spending a bit extra for the download. I am currently with EIR and the service is fine (until you need the customer service) but I am paying too much and moving to vodafone would be a good saving. Airwire is nearly 300 euro more expensive for the year and they still need an extra 100 for the activation, so that further increases the cost. Also I am using my own router so I don't really care about that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hi,

Is there any way to get visibility on upcoming rollout plans? My Eircode still doesn't have FTTH available.

Can anyone help with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quick question on my area going live hopefully soon.

Are you notified your area is live?

When can you ring Eir and and wish to upgrade to Fibre, do they rely on https://fibrerollout.ie/ to tell them Fibre services are available?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Quick question on my area going live hopefully soon.

Are you notified your area is live?

When can you ring Eir and and wish to upgrade to Fibre, do they rely on https://fibrerollout.ie/ to tell them Fibre services are available?

When my area went live I wouldn't have known other than the fact I checked here everyday and used all the online checkers. There are people in my area who have no clue that FTTH is available to them, a month ago I saw a FTTH enabled home getting in Imagine and I just sighed. Even tho my area is completely FTTH enabled, I have never seen a poster saying it's available, it's up to the bill payer to check if it's available. Also when an area goes live, it goes live in chunks, or at least mine did, I had to wait an extra 3 weeks from the first date before I could order.

Can anyone help with this?

I don't think so. The only future info I have ever seen is in the fibre roll-out map which showed rough future dates, but it was more than a year out in accuracy in my case.

Gonzo wrote: »
    When my area went live I wouldn't have known other than the fact I checked here everyday and used all the online checkers. There are people in my area who have no clue that FTTH is available to them, a month ago I saw a FTTH enabled home getting in Imagine and I just sighed. Even tho my area is completely FTTH enabled, I have never seen a poster saying it's available, it's up to the bill payer to check if it's available. Also when an area goes live, it goes live in chunks, or at least mine did, I had to wait an extra 3 weeks from the first date before I could order.

What would it take to put a sign on a pole on every road that goes live saying FTTH is now available on the road? It could be coated cardboard that would only last a month and tied on with cotton string so no one would need to go and take them down. A while ago I was talking to the farmer neighbour who has several adult offspring living at home. I asked him about his broadband and he said his seemed fine and came via mobile phone from the antennae on the nearby hill. I mentioned he could get fibre but didn't think it worth trying to explain or push if his own kids weren't interested enough to be on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Thanks, yes I mostly need the upload but I don't mind spending a bit extra for the download. I am currently with EIR and the service is fine (until you need the customer service) but I am paying too much and moving to vodafone would be a good saving. Airwire is nearly 300 euro more expensive for the year and they still need an extra 100 for the activation, so that further increases the cost. Also I am using my own router so I don't really care about that either.
    So you decided to move to 1Tb caped service with Vodafone? It is probably more than plenty for 150/30 package, but 1Tb cap for Gigabit speed?

alec76 wrote: »
    So you decided to move to 1Tb caped service with Vodafone? It is probably more than plenty for 150/30 package, but 1Tb cap for Gigabit speed?

Thanks, I haven't dug down to the small print yet. Do they actually enforce that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thanks, I haven't dug down to the small print yet. Do they actually enforce that?

I would have been all over that Vodafone offer for 12 months, but that 1tb cap is a total deal breaker.

I would have been all over that Vodafone offer for 12 months, but that 1tb cap is a total deal breaker.

But that's only the fair use policy isn't it? Eir has the same as far I can see.

• Advertisement

I was looking at switching recently and I discounted Vodafone and it was down to Sky or Airwire. I went with the latter due to the big jump in price with Sky after the low inducement price ended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement