Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

What infrastructure? Their MANs are all in larger regional towns. They have no rural distribution network so it would have to be built from scratch. How long would that take?

So are they just going to piggy back on Eir infrastructure for all of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

turbbo wrote: »
    So are they just going to piggy back on Eir infrastructure for all of it?
    yea pretty much.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Hi,

I have a ftth line + equipment installed however due to issues with Eir they terminated it the day after installation (I was waiting 1 year for installation with Eir billing me wrongly every month) They terminated it due to that bill and wouldn't give me my original deal so have no interest going back to them.

Would this qualify as Provider move / Existing fibre line ?

Can you tell me the name of the basic free router so I can see what kind of features it has

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is this the case everywhere in the country? I thought the "winner" (thought it was ENET) would be using quite a bit of their own infrastructure.

They might be building their own last mile infrastructure but as navi said they need something to get it their to start with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will be interesting to see what fine the gov will impose if any? Also when are enet due to kickoff on the NBP? Would be funny to see NBP areas up before Eir finished.

Will be no fine, Eir are flat out at the moment (anyone waiting on external works, DP etc, will notice the forecast dates are some 3 months out if not more) probably due to a lot of guys on hols over the Summer.
    Even tho the figures are down you have to remember this is a long term plan (kinda) and not a month by month you have to achieve these figures.
    As the infrastructure is built up more the connection numbers will start to increase rapidly as all the ground work stuff is already done and then it's more a "fine tuning" exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

!!!

That link now says that fibre will be available for me from June 20th.

That's the first time I've seen a date in place.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

spix wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a ftth line + equipment installed however due to issues with Eir they terminated it the day after installation (I was waiting 1 year for installation with Eir billing me wrongly every month) They terminated it due to that bill and wouldn't give me my original deal so have no interest going back to them.

Would this qualify as Provider move / Existing fibre line ?

More than likely, yes. PM me your eircode and I can check for sure.
    spix wrote: »
    Can you tell me the name of the basic free router so I can see what kind of features it has

The basic router we specify for FTTH is an AVM Fritz!Box 4040. You can find the specification here: https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-4040/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

DrPhilG wrote: »
    !!!

That link now says that fibre will be available for me from June 20th.

That's the first time I've seen a date in place.

I learnt the hard way from 'will be available' dates.

When I ordered mine with Eir it was meant to be live the week after yet it took 1 year with countless date pushbacks. Until it is actually available you shouldn't look too much into estimates in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    Will be no fine, Eir are flat out at the moment (anyone waiting on external works, DP etc, will notice the forecast dates are some 3 months out if not more) probably due to a lot of guys on hols over the Summer.
    Even tho the figures are down you have to remember this is a long term plan (kinda) and not a month by month you have to achieve these figures.
    As the infrastructure is built up more the connection numbers will start to increase rapidly as all the ground work stuff is already done and then it's more a "fine tuning" exercise.

I have to pull you up on this. I don't know if you've read the Commitment Agreement that eir signed with the Minister but it clearly stipulates quarterly target that are to be met. eir have now missed the past two targets.

We've also been hearing about this ramping up of the rollout as it advances yet the figures don't back this up. Q2 and Q3 2017 both had over 30000 premises passed yet Q4 2017 and Q1 2018 have fallen short.

I don't see how it is remotely possible that they get finished by the end of 2018. Obviously eir will do everything in it's power to avoid fines but I would not be so sure they will manage to.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/documents/Commitment%20Agreement.pdf

Page 28 on has the detailed design agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Going off topic but just curious... what does anyone reckon is the cost of the optical DP's on the poles or is there any value in them? It's impressive seeing so many of these little boxes appearing on poles throughout the network. Where previously there was no more than a battered junction box here and there, there's now a key network component out on the poles themselves. The lightweight fibre cables look neat and tidy on top of the poles too and unlike their copper counterparts, they don't sag to oblivion in the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dollylama wrote: »
    Going off topic but just curious... what does anyone reckon is the cost of the optical DP's on the poles or is there any value in them? It's impressive seeing so many of these little boxes appearing on poles throughout the network. Where previously there was no more than a battered junction box here and there, there's now a key network component out on the poles themselves. The lightweight fibre cables look neat and tidy on top of the poles too and unlike their copper counterparts, they don't sag to oblivion in the sun!

Its not a component, not unless you also consider a copper pothead as such.

Looking on Ali you can get cheap splitters for $7/unit. The outdoor/3M ones will be a bit more but they're not a big cost. The cost is manhours for the men in the splicing vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

dollylama wrote: »

15 bucks?

Not exactly the same, but gives you an idea: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32808974782.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32808974782&

Will be no fine
    Wrong!
    Eir are flat out at the moment (anyone waiting on external works, DP etc, will notice the forecast dates are some 3 months out if not more) probably due to a lot of guys on hols over the Summer.
    Holidays happen every year - so that isn't an excuse.
    "Arra sure weren't they on their holliers boss"
    - and so on and so forth blah blah blah

Holidays happen every year - so that isn't an excuse.
    "Arra sure weren't they on their holliers boss"

90%(?) of the workforce is KNIS and half of them are civils/builders lads. They all take holidays the same time annually so that might spill over.

ED E wrote: »
    90%(?) of the workforce is KNIS and half of them are civils/builders lads. They all take holidays the same time annually so that might spill over.

And Eirs management can't predict this?
    On top of this being the 2nd year of the rollout?
    What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

it's actually not Eirs management that needs to predict this. They've outsourced the work to KN.

So essentially it should be KN, that accomodates replacement work force for the missing techs. However, if that doesn't happen, then yes .. it falls back to OpenEIR to sort that out.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    it's actually not Eirs management that needs to predict this. They've outsourced the work to KN.

I would differ ......Eir have outsourced it, and know full well what their own expectations are so it is only a matter of including whatever they need in their agreement.

Else if they agree to have all sub-contract work stop during the holidays, then their figures of premises passed should reflect this for the period including the holidays.

It is all down to Eir and their management of the roll out.
    So essentially it should be KN, that accomodates replacement work force for the missing techs. However, if that doesn't happen, then yes .. it falls back to OpenEIR to sort that out.

/M

It is all down to Eir and their management of the roll out.

This is culprit. They've outsourced it to KN. So managing that the required figures are met it is down to KN. But yes, OpenEIR management needs to stay on top of that the figures are met by KN.

If neither of them does that and the figures are not predicted, then that's what happens. Last year they were well behind, because KN didn't hire enough staff in the first place. The whole outsourcing certainly hasn't helped things.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Folks with 1Gbps FTTH with Eir, what router would folks recommend which would have the WAN throughput to attempt to get the max out of the connection?
    I think I read on here something about a FritzBox being ideal?

• Advertisement

/M

So outsourcing it now means you're off the hook for delivering.
    Would love to see you running a company into the ground.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Folks with 1Gbps FTTH with Eir, what router would folks recommend which would have the WAN throughput to attempt to get the max out of the connection?
    I think I read on here something about a FritzBox being ideal?

Ubi, Fritz, Mikro, Netgear. There are quite a few options. See SmallNetBuilder.

So outsourcing it now means you're off the hook for delivering.
    Would love to see you running a company into the ground.

Certainly not. Outsourcing has always been a bad plan. As I stated previously:

- KN needs to accomodate workface for holiday "lack of workforce"
    - KN is in charge of planning getting the work done they've contracted for
    - If KN doesn't live up to their contractual agreement, Eir has to make adjustments.
    - If Eir doesn't make adjustments and doesn't live up to their contract with the government, they're in trouble.

Eir have essentially pushed the problem on to KN. KN can't live up to it because of poor management/planning. Eir management has not taken actions to fix this. Now the responsibility is back with Eir/OpenEIR.

At the end of the day, it's an even bigger clusterf*ck, as if Eir had done the job themselves. Then again .... with the way things were in Eir before the outsourcing, we wouldn't be half way as far, as we are right now, if they hadn't outsourced the rollout and got rid of the old field staff.

Do you remember how long it took to get a phone line or a DSL line in the old days ? I can tell you, about 5-10 years ago, there was ONE !!!! Eircom tech for all of Clare and Galway that dealt with ADSL. And he was ahead of the curve of the tay drining lads dealing with phone lines.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 22 boring1205

Hi,

Just joined boards today to see if anyone could let me know if I have a problem with my FTTH with Eir. Installed yesterday by KN, on the 150 mbps package and done a speed check on my phone after. Got 2 options for wifi, eirXXXXXX 2.4g and eirXXXXXX5g.

Only getting download speeds of between 15 - 35 on the 2.4g - even lower on the 5g. Upload speeds are good at around 25 mbps.

Got onto webchat and they seem to be saying that it will "improve" once line is activated, whatever this means, and to give it a couple of days!!!

Is this normal???

Thanks.

boring1205 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just joined boards today to see if anyone could let me know if I have a problem with my FTTH with Eir. Installed yesterday by KN, on the 150 mbps package and done a speed check on my phone after. Got 2 options for wifi, eirXXXXXX 2.4g and eirXXXXXX5g.

Only getting download speeds of between 15 - 35 on the 2.4g - even lower on the 5g. Upload speeds are good at around 25 mbps.

Got onto webchat and they seem to be saying that it will "improve" once line is activated, whatever this means, and to give it a couple of days!!!

Is this normal???

Thanks.

Do a speed test from a device which is wired via ethernet cable to the modem/router.
    Make sure the device you use is capable of connecting at speeds greater than 150Mb/s ..... such as a device with a 1Gb/s network interface.

If that speed is close to 150Mb/s then the fibre line is ok, and the problem is internal to your premises.

An internal problem could be the device being used; bad wifi signal which might be due to interference or even distance from the modem/router, or some other cause.
    You are responsible for sorting out your internal problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 boring1205

Do a speed test from a device which is wired via ethernet cable to the modem/router.
    Make sure the device you use is capable of connecting at speeds greater than 150Mb/s ..... such as a device with a 1Gb/s network interface.

If that speed is close to 150Mb/s then the fibre line is ok, and the problem is internal to your premises.

An internal problem could be the device being used; bad wifi signal which might be due to interference or even distance from the modem/router, or some other cause.
    You are responsible for sorting out your internal problem.

Thanks - will do as soon as I get home.

Eir have essentially pushed the problem on to KN. KN can't live up to it because of poor management/planning. Eir management has not taken actions to fix this. Now the responsibility is back with Eir/OpenEIR.
    /M

Singing off the same hymn sheet now.
    The buck stops with Eir.
    Eir will be picking up the fine not KN.

Looks like they are so far behind now that the fine is a foregone conclusion.
    How far behind remains to be seen. I see it taking at least a year longer than they committed to.

Singing off the same hymn sheet now.
    The buck stops with Eir.
    Eir will be picking up the fine not KN.

Looks like they are so far behind now that the fine is a foregone conclusion.
    How far behind remains to be seen. I see it taking at least a year longer than they committed to.

The fine is not a foregone conclusion I think, as the minister has the option to extend - indefinitely - the completion ....... if I read things correctly.

The fine is not a foregone conclusion I think, as the minister has the option to extend - indefinitely - the completion ....... if I read things correctly.

Well that would be typical irish politics - madness if that is the case.

• Advertisement

Well that would be typical irish politics - madness if that is the case.

See here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107110439&postcount=1007

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement