Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Wow - bet he extends it - Eir always cosy with the gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

boring1205 wrote: »
    Thanks - will do as soon as I get home.

Fibre is almost always either up or down, nothing in between. There are some obscure exceptions, but speed problems on a fibre link generally don't happen. On or off, that's usually it.

It is therefore reasonable to say to someone expressing speed problems on fibre that as a first response, the fault is almost certainly on customer equipment and not a problem for the ISP.

In 10-15 years time, nobody will even be doing speed tests. It'll be like electricity... On or off.

Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the second half of 2018

Since the check site went live it was first half of 2018. Absolutely no surprise at all the it's slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Since the check site went live it was first half of 2018. Absolutely no surprise at all the it's slipped.

Problem is 2nd half of 2018 is probably very unlikey now too for most of us waiting, will probably be more likely 2nd half 2019. But the site will never show realistic dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

turbbo wrote: »
    Problem is 2nd half of 2018 is probably very unlikey now too for most of us waiting, will probably be more likely 2nd half 2019. But the site will never show realistic dates.

Corrandulla Exch, Galway is down for Q3/Q4 '18 and I see they have already run fibre through the ducting in Cloonboo. Was surprised at that but looking at the map Corrandulla is one of the largest FTTH rollouts North of Galway city (small boreen road wise). There's fibre planned out to Annaghdown on the Corrib, halfway to Headford and across to Corrandrum on the old N17...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

ED E wrote: »
    Ubi, Fritz, Mikro, Netgear. There are quite a few options. See SmallNetBuilder.
    Grand so, from a poke around that site a Netgear R7000 has been eBay'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

turbbo wrote: »

I’m in the same boat waiting for 2nd half of 2018. Every time I see an update on this thread I fear it’s an Eir announcement of not finishing the rest of the rollout. Hopefully it continues and without too much of a delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The odd thing is that areas that were scheduled for Winter 2018 have gone live, Templeowen in Carlow and Ruan in Clare being just two examples I came across, while other areas that had been due sooner have been pushed back. They are obviously not following these estimated timelines in a strict manner.

All of this can be seen for every exchange area in the tracker where every delay or advancement of exchanges can be followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The odd thing is that areas that were scheduled for Winter 2018 have gone live, Templeowen in Carlow and Ruan in Clare being just two examples I came across, while other areas that had been due sooner have been pushed back. They are obviously not following these estimated timelines in a strict manner.

All of this can be seen for every exchange area in the tracker where every delay or advancement of exchanges can be followed.
    I checked the Drogheda exchange, there's no info or updates for it for some reason. I've checked lines, they used to show August 2017 and now saying H2 2018.

A few places have drop points on the poles, others have the cable strung but the DPs are left in the hedges. Been like this since March perhaps? Why would they stop there with the rollout so close to completion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I checked the Drogheda exchange, there's no info or updates for it for some reason. I've checked lines, they used to show August 2017 and now saying H2 2018.

A few places have drop points on the poles, others have the cable strung but the DPs are left in the hedges. Been like this since March perhaps? Why would they stop there with the rollout so close to completion?

Go to Airwire.ie and check what date it’ll become available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I get the impression eir are doing the roll out to suit themselves now as there is little or no pressure on them having pulled out of the NBP.
    They don't have to behave nicely anymore.
    I guess this means, in the long term, more premises will have access to fibre from this roll out than they agreed to ....... because they are filling in areas they deliberately left out of the plan.

There are two exchange areas in Drogheda, Drogheda (DBC) and Drogheda Donore Road AEH (DAH). DBC has some rural premises live along with over 1800 urban FTTH premises.

DAH is now scheduled for Q3 2018 so I guess that is where you are. Why it has taken so long from the original date of Q3/Q4 2017 I don't know, perhaps some planning or civil issue cropped up. It seem odd that they would leave the distribution boxes sitting in hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are two exchange areas in Drogheda, Drogheda (DBC) and Drogheda Donore Road AEH (DAH). DBC has some rural premises live along with over 1800 urban FTTH premises.

DAH is now scheduled for Q3 2018 so I guess that is where you are. Why it has taken so long from the original date of Q3/Q4 2017 I don't know, perhaps some planning or civil issue cropped up. It seem odd that they would leave the distribution boxes sitting in hedges.

The AEH is a regional Field Service hub so it is quite weird for it to not be knocked off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nope, DBC is the area I'm talking about. That spreadsheet doesn't have any info on that exchange.

As for DAH, it only became an exchange maybe 12 years ago and doesn't serve many cabinets. You can see each area it serves with the openeir maps.

The cabling seems to be fully done from the manholes onwards where I've seen this. But nothing's happened for 3 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

While out this morning I spotted Open eir vans etc in Newmarket-on-Fergus areas ....... spoke to a guy (on Sixmilebridge side of village) who said they are putting in the fibre and they expect it to go live in 2 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Can someone link me to the list of openeir ftth providers? Can't seem to find it..

spix wrote: »
    Can someone link me to the list of openeir ftth providers? Can't seem to find it..

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The ones with the circular home icon.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The ones with the circular home icon.

Thanks.. was hoping to order with Airwire, sent them an email to sales@airwire.ie as mentioned on their website but not got a reply in 3 days. You'd think sales would be a bit more responsive. Will have a look at the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone know are Eir stricky sticking to the roll-out maps and the marked premises??

We are 700m away from where they are meant to be coming to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone know are Eir stricky sticking to the roll-out maps and the marked premises??

We are 700m away from where they are meant to be coming to :(

If there was a new housing estate you may have chance, if it's a coupla houses you're way beyond the limit.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    If there was a new housing estate you may have chance, if it's a coupla houses you're way beyond the limit.

4 houses right longside eachother but there are only 9 houses marked for going live the rest of the 2.5km to the village... it’s very depressing..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

irishfeen wrote: »
    4 houses right longside eachother but there are only 9 houses marked for going live the rest of the 2.5km to the village... it’s very depressing..

You can always try emailing fibrepower@openeir.ie and see what they say
    Eircode and Google map screenshot identifying your house is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

They don’t want really connect me and the splitter is almost right outside my house, Eir mumbled something about new ownership and not adding more houses.

fritzelly wrote: »
    You can always try emailing fibrepower@openeir.ie and see what they say
    Eircode and Google map screenshot identifying your house is needed.

I’ve just done it now, hopefully it will get us somewhere as 3/4 houses here grouped together are also businesses. I have also CC’d one local FG councillor and a FF TD too :)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

They don’t want really connect me and the splitter is almost right outside my house, Eir mumbled something about new ownership and not adding more houses.

If the splitter is right outside your house, there is absolutely no problem. New ownership doesn't come into the picture. OpenEIR has even mapping problems in areas, where houses have been passed, but left out on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Anyone know anything about Ballinaboola in Wexford? Down as commenced on the map but have no idea how long it usually takes after that.

Seems all the providers with good deals are limited in which counties they're allowed to service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Seems all the providers with good deals are limited in which counties they're allowed to service
    yea mainly wesnet and bbnet shame they don't want to expand seem like there happy staying as small ISP.Im probably going to go with airwire when my contract up in September with Eir.

rob808 wrote: »
    yea mainly wesnet and bbnet shame they don't want to expand seem like there happy staying as small ISP.Im probably going to go with airwire when my contract up in September with Eir.

I was going to go with Airwire but didn't get a reply to the sales email, tried bbnet but was told about the location restrictions after sending a few emails back and forth, they should have mentioned that first..This put me off even trying to contact Airwire again just incase they have a location restriction too. Pure telecom said they charge you if you go over the 1tb limit which is a no no. Ended up just going on Digiweb livechat and signed up within 2 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

It's not a question of where we're allowed to service, so much as a business decision. We can offer good deals because of the way we've built our network, which in turn is somewhat dependent on what national fibre assets we can access. We could offer services further afield, but it would increase our cost base to the point where our pricing would have to be less competitive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement