Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

spix wrote: »
    I was going to go with Airwire but didn't get a reply to the sales email, tried bbnet but was told about the location restrictions after sending a few emails back and forth, they should have mentioned that first..

The reason you didn't get a response is that you're using a hotmail account and Microsoft recently have blocked large amount of IP-addresses for no reason and are spam-filtering these. It took us about a week to get Microsoft to rectify this for our IP-ranges.

Unfortunately you also didn't respond to my last PM nor gave us a phone number, so we couldn't contact you by other means.

And as for location restrictions: that's not about being allowed, but the matter of which areas make financially sense for us to cover. But from the info you send me, you are well within the areas that we cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

The reason you didn't get a response is that you're using a hotmail account and Microsoft recently have blocked large amount of IP-addresses for no reason and are spam-filtering these. It took us about a week to get Microsoft to rectify this for our IP-ranges.

Unfortunately you also didn't respond to my last PM nor gave us a phone number, so we couldn't contact you by other means.

And as for location restrictions: that's not about being allowed, but the matter of which areas make financially sense for us to cover. But from the info you send me, you are well within the areas that we cover.

No worries. I did actually get the reply but it took 3 days and only after I contacted you on boards again. You did tell me in the last pm before that to either call or contact sales@airwire.ie with no mention of email issues. The email I got back just gave me a phone number to call to get more details on the questions I asked which kind of irked me as the details should've just been given in that email reply. After dealing with Eir recently I'm a bit sick of phone calls, since that last email took so long to arrive I didn't really have any interest in waiting for another reply so just looked at the other options. Please improve your ease of ordering via other methods than phone because your deals are probably the best out there. BBnet replied to emails almost instantly and digiweb live chat were able to sign me up within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

It's not a question of where we're allowed to service, so much as a business decision. We can offer good deals because of the way we've built our network, which in turn is somewhat dependent on what national fibre assets we can access. We could offer services further afield, but it would increase our cost base to the point where our pricing would have to be less competitive.

Paul, My house is 200 meters away from the DP box, It is eir box, if I pay for installation, would you be able to connect me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Paul, My house is 200 meters away from the DP box, It is eir box, if I pay for installation, would you be able to connect me

You can't pay for them to extend the network to include you if you are not already on the 300k rollout - a big no no
    200m is really too far - you really need to be next to a DP or within about 50m to have any real chance
    Best bet as I said earlier is to contact fibrepower@openeir.ie and see if they will accommodate you
    No downstream provider is gonna be able to do anything unless Openeir agree to add you to the rollout.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Ultimanemo wrote: »

We've had limited success - very limited - in getting premises added to the network. If you PM me your Eircode, I'll take a look for you, but don't get your hopes up.

• Advertisement

We've had limited success - very limited - in getting premises added to the network. If you PM me your Eircode, I'll take a look for you, but don't get your hopes up.

And recently? I know they are adding new estates on that weren't included but I'm talking about 10+ houses estates that are right next to the cable rollout but anything else is a no go now and that is assuming they have capacity on the line that won't affect planned connections further along the line

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

fritzelly wrote: »
    And recently? I know they are adding new estates on that weren't included but I'm talking about 10+ houses estates that are right next to the cable rollout but anything else is a no go now and that is assuming they have capacity on the line that won't affect planned connections further along the line

Estates are a different thing.

Extending ribbon developments is extremly difficult and sometimes takes a lot of shouting. If it's a house that a ribbon development passes and it's within 150m of the fiber path, then there are chances.

If it's a house, that is at the end of a ribbon development, then it's nearly impossible to get premises included, that even are within 50m of the fiber run. Unless, you can prove, that they accidently left a bunch out and the DPs actually are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Folks with 1Gbps FTTH with Eir, what router would folks recommend which would have the WAN throughput to attempt to get the max out of the connection?
    I think I read on here something about a FritzBox being ideal?

I swapped my chappy Eir router for a Ubiquiti Edgerouter and then added two Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lites at either end of the house. Whole house is now saturated with lovely 5Ghz WiFi powered by fibre. Super impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

This is the generic response from Eir, no budge on any premises it seems within few hundred metre's of where the network will be :(
    Hi,

Thank you for your email.

The footprint of our rural 300,000 rollout is locked down and we have contractual milestones in place with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment to deliver each specific address. As such additional premises that are currently outside of the footprint cannot be included.

By definition, our commercial rollout cannot not reach all the homes and businesses in an area.
    The best network planning practices and the key business variables required to make the investment commercial have been considered. Any address not covered by our commercial rollout will be included in the Government’s National Broadband Plan.

This is the plan that you will be included in.

Under this scheme the Government intends to intervene in non-commercial areas of the market to ensure through State subsidy that all premises in the country will receive high-speed broadband regardless of location.
    Please visit the below website to learn more about the NBP and to keep updated on the programme’s progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I swapped my chappy Eir router for a Ubiquiti Edgerouter and then added two Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lites at either end of the house. Whole house is now saturated with lovely 5Ghz WiFi powered by fibre. Super impressed!

Yup, have a single Unifi AC in the middle of the house and the whole place is covered :) awesome stuff. In hindsight I prob should have got a Ubiquiti ER-X router. Ah, trial and error :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Bought a new house in Mallow in a 6 house development, we are waiting for lines to be put in and the fibre cabinet is about 30m from my house and only about 10m from the closest house, have we any chance of FTTH or are we resigned to them putting obsolete copper cables into the house?

Dave147 wrote: »
    Bought a new house in Mallow in a 6 house development, we are waiting for lines to be put in and the fibre cabinet is about 30m from my house and only about 10m from the closest house, have we any chance of FTTH or are we resigned to them putting obsolete copper cables into the house?

Unless there is fibre running past your house you will be FTTC

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Yup, have a single Unifi AC in the middle of the house and the whole place is covered :) awesome stuff. In hindsight I prob should have got a Ubiquiti ER-X router. Ah, trial and error :D
    The Edgerouter is very neat and supports POE so I didn't have to find power for the Unifi AP.

I know that housing estate well, lovely houses but I’m afraid FTTH will almost certainly not be available because of the cabinet right outside the estate. I have for business connected a premises to the same cabinet and unfortunately as you know FTTH it is definitely not going to be.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I know that housing estate well, lovely houses but I’m afraid FTTH will almost certainly not be available because of the cabinet right outside the estate. I have for business connected a premises to the same cabinet and unfortunately as you know FTTH it is definitely not going to be.

Yeah lovely house, and of course builders assured us we would have fibre lines, I doubted it from the start but had a small glimmer of hope that maybe they had some contacts to get it sorted, I was wrong! Look, 70-80mb won't be too bad either.

Are we rural enough that we could possibly get SIRO down the line or is that another no go because of the cabinet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yeah lovely house, and of course builders assured us we would have fibre lines, I doubted it from the start but had a small glimmer of hope that maybe they had some contacts to get it sorted, I was wrong! Look, 70-80mb won't be too bad either.

Are we rural enough that we could possibly get SIRO down the line or is that another no go because of the cabinet?

No offense but why would you expect a builder to know the intricacies of FTTC vs FTTH?

It's not all bad news though as Openeir are currently testing supervectoring so as long as you're relatively close to the cabinet and the trials go well you may eventually see speeds over 200Mb over the copper.

SIRO would not be affected one way or the other by the cabinet. It's a completely separate network operated by a different company.

No offense but why would you expect a builder to know the intricacies of FTTC vs FTTH?

It's not all bad news though as Openeir are currently testing supervectoring so as long as you're relatively close to the cabinet and the trials go well you may eventually see speeds over 200Mb over the copper.

SIRO would not be affected one way or the other by the cabinet. It's a completely separate network operated by a different company.

When I say builder I mean the guy who owns the company and not the foreman, he had us under the impression there would be fibre going into the houses seeing as the cabinet is so close, I didn't question him on it but have had my doubts, onto Eir now and apparently they've my order down for DSL rather than FTTC or FTTH so this doesn't look good. Copper from the exchange would be a nightmare.

When I say builder I mean the guy who owns the company and not the foreman, he had us under the impression there would be fibre going into the houses seeing as the cabinet is so close, I didn't question him on it but have had my doubts, onto Eir now and apparently they've my order down for DSL rather than FTTC or FTTH so this doesn't look good. Copper from the exchange would be a nightmare.

There have been reports of Openeir installing FTTH in new build estates. Whether a six home site would be large enough to bother I don't know. Have you checked your Eircode on both of the following:

https://fibrerollout.ie/ (check rural 300k)

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

There have been reports of Openeir installing FTTH in new build estates. Whether a six home site would be large enough to bother I don't know. Have you checked your Eircode on both of the following:

https://fibrerollout.ie/ (check rural 300k)

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

I've checked both of those and it's unavailable, I have emailed them to see if we're on the list but heard nothing back.

Just off the phone with Eir, says there's substantial work to be done (it is a new house after all..) so the scheduled date is August 28th. Having absolutely no luck whatsoever.

Yes I wouldn’t get too upset yet, there is talk Siro will do major work in Mallow over next few months.ESB are changing about 130 poles to bring them up to scratch.

As you say 70/80 is better then most people and you might well be in luck with ESB, I was involving in bringing water into that estate so I hope all is going well :)

• Advertisement

I've checked both of those and it's unavailable, I have emailed them to see if we're on the list but heard nothing back.

Just off the phone with Eir, says there's substantial work to be done (it is a new house after all..) so the scheduled date is August 28th. Having absolutely no luck whatsoever.

It could be possible, though maybe unlikely, that FTTH will eventually be available if there is still preparatory work to be done. You are most likely speaking to eir retail and they will not know it is live until informed by Openeir. Openeir are reluctant to speak with the public.

You could also email SIRO at info@siro.ie with your Eircode to see if you are in their plans.

Is there an actual fibre line passing you?
    They are connecting (some) what would be new FTTC estates to FTTH instead but these are estates right next to the line but still is not a guarantee - more a case of well no capacity for copper left so giving FTTH instead

They are connecting (some) what would be new FTTC estates to FTTH instead but these are estates right next to the line but still is not a guarantee - more a case of well no capacity for copper left so giving FTTH instead
    No fibre line passing by looks of it.

In a somewhat urban environment the infrastructure is all likely underground so he may not be aware even if he does know what to look for.

In a somewhat urban environment the infrastructure is all likely underground so he may not be aware even if he does know what to look for.

True. But check his eircode on the fibrerollout map and you can see where the line is.

The fibre cabinet is right on the road outside our development, it's about ten metres away from the nearest house of the 4 built so far, we're about another 20m away across the road, I was onto them on Twitter and it seems it will be FTTH we'll be getting in August. Just need to get some form of 4G dongle in the meantime, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

The fibre cabinet is right on the road outside our development, it's about ten metres away from the nearest house of the 4 built so far, we're about another 20m away across the road, I was onto them on Twitter and it seems it will be FTTH we'll be getting in August. Just need to get some form of 4G dongle in the meantime, any recommendations?

Anyone can recommend multiple ones to you, but it all depends on what the service/signal is like in your area. Best to ask family/neighbours first to see what coverage and speeds are like. What works for me may not work for me, and vice versa - if you get me?

Who says it will be FTTH? Eir? Would take that with a pinch of salt - some people don't know the difference between FTTH and FTTC

For the modem check your coverage here
    https://www.nperf.com/en/map/IE/-/5150.Three/signal/
    or
    http://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

And make sure the contract can be upgraded if and as need be.

Eircare on Twitter said he was referring to FTTH and that it was delayed in our area, I'm not holding my breath but at least we have some chance of FTTH anyway.. Still, until 28th August is crazy in this day and age to have no connection whatsoever to a brand new house.

• Advertisement

Eircare on Twitter said he was referring to FTTH and that it was delayed in our area, I'm not holding my breath but at least we have some chance of FTTH anyway.. Still, until 28th August is crazy in this day and age to have no connection whatsoever to a brand new house.

You should come 5 miles outside Mallow town where we still have dial up connections and this round of FTTH is coming within 700m ... now that is actually making me crazy...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement