Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

9726_9726 wrote: »
    It's very, very simple.

*** If it was viable, it would already be done, or be in progress in the 300K ***

Nobody can argue with that fact.

Of course it can be argued against. That assumes that the limits of the 300K have been fairly decided based on viability or population density when in reality it can be shown in many instances that limits have been arbitrarily placed and that the whole 300K project is an effort in stymieing the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Kilfenora isn't down for ftth however non Eir crews have been out the last few days running new heavy black cable on the overhead lines and orange cable at underground points. Is this just maintenance or is there a possibility that Kilfenora might actually be part of the 300k but not on the official website?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Kilfernora - where?
    If Kerry then thats on the rollout map

funnyname wrote: »
    Kilfenora isn't down for ftth however non Eir crews have been out the last few days running new heavy black cable on the overhead lines and orange cable at underground points. Is this just maintenance or is there a possibility that Kilfenora might actually be part of the 300k but not on the official website?

The orange cable sounds like the duct that is used for fibre however the fibre cable itself could not really be described as heavy. It's only 8.3mm in diameter so appears quite slim in comparison with the old copper.

It seems unlikely that they would be building in an area that had not been originally planned, as you say it could be copper maintenance and they are installing ducting for future use. If you could get a picture of the new cable we could probably tell you for sure.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Kilfernora - where?
    If Kerry then thats on the rollout map

I assumed Clare as in the Céilí band.

• Advertisement

I assumed Clare as in the Céilí band.

You're probably right, just seen it in the bio

Yeah unlikely fibre - one cabinet serving the place and no fibre anyway near it going by the map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'll try to take a photo of orange cable later on today.

Currently there's a big spool (half full) of the black cable in the ditch a couple of miles from the village on the Corofin side of the village.

Killinaboy is getting ftth as is Carron and Fanore they are all smaller spots than Kilfenora which is smack bang in the middle of the bigger villages/towns of Ennistymon, Lisdoonvarna and Corofin so I presume they'll be bring fibre though Kilfenora anyways to link all of those places together.
    The orange cable sounds like the duct that is used for fibre however the fibre cable itself could not really be described as heavy. It's only 8.3mm in diameter so appears quite slim in comparison with the old copper.

It seems unlikely that they would be building in an area that had not been originally planned, as you say it could be copper maintenance and they are installing ducting for future use. If you could get a picture of the new cable we could probably tell you for sure.

Currently there's a big spool (half full) of the black cable in the ditch a couple of miles from the village on the Corofin side of the village.

Killinaboy is getting ftth as is Carron and Fanore they are all smaller spots than Kilfenora which is smack bang in the middle of the bigger villages/towns of Ennistymon, Lisdoonvarna and Corofin so I presume they'll be bring fibre though Kilfenora anyways to link all of those places together.

I was referring to a picture of the black cable, ideally where it joins a pole. The orange stuff is nearly definitely fibre ducting.

I had a look at the map there when you mentioned Corofin. Another possibility is that they are bringing fibre to Carron which is due FTTH in Winter 2018. Carron was due to be rehomed to Gort but perhaps that has changed and they are using Ennistymon (Kilfenora).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Builder told me there's a fibre cabinet on site in our development, does that make it any more likely that we will be getting FTTH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Less likely, I would have thought. FTTH is fed direct from the exchange with no cabinets involved. If there's a cabinet it suggests FTTC to me.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Builder told me there's a fibre cabinet on site in our development, does that make it any more likely that we will be getting FTTH?

Less likely if anything. They have hardly installed a cabinet for six houses. Are you sure it wasn't pre-existing and serving other homes in the area?

Less likely if anything. They have hardly installed a cabinet for six houses. Are you sure it wasn't pre-existing and serving other homes in the area?

I'd imagine it's been there before us, but it's on our site so would it not make sense to just pull fibre to our houses rather than copper, just seems counter productive to install copper.

I'd imagine it's been there before us, but it's on our site so would it not make sense to just pull fibre to our houses rather than copper, just seems counter productive to install copper.

It's not quite as simple as pulling fibre from the cabinet. The fibre would have to be brought from the main exchange building in Mallow. I think fritzelly asked you if any yellow lines on https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ are passing the site. I don't believe you answered this. If they are already going to pass the site as part of the overall plan it would obviously increase the likelihood that you'd be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It's not quite as simple as pulling fibre from the cabinet. The fibre would have to be brought from the main exchange building in Mallow.
    Isn't there 20 spare fibres under each VDSL cabinet for future use?

The Cush wrote: »
    Isn't there 20 spare fibres under each VDSL cabinet for future use?

I am unsure if they would use them for GPON, perhaps they would.

I am unsure if they would use them for GPON, perhaps they would.

Based on discussion here over the years I assumed that was their purpose?

Based on discussion here over the years I assumed that was their purpose?

To be honest I am unsure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hey

I was looking at that fibre rollout map there and I notice that many houses that are on bothereens off the main road have no 'house' marker meaning they wouldn't get fibre, even though it goes across the main road.

What is the option for these people?
    Will they just have to pay for the fibre run to their house like they would have had to pay for telegram poles in the past?

What is the option for these people?
    Will they just have to pay for the fibre run to their house like they would have had to pay for telegram poles in the past?

National Broadband Plan.

• Advertisement

National Broadband Plan.

And does that mean fibre or mast?
    I am talking about private roads off the main road. Some could be upto a mile long with a few houses.

And does that mean fibre or mast?

Whatever they decide to do/offer...

Whatever they decide to do/offer...

Surely the homeowner would be given the option to run their own fibre? It would make sense for all sides.

Surely the homeowner would be given the option to run their own fibre? It would make sense for all sides.

And how are you gonna get the fibre from your house to whoever has the fibre at the main road?
    Assuming eir has poles in place already you should check the OpenEir website for the charges to use their poles etc

Navi already pointed out earlier what the costs of this kind of thing are.

It's not quite as simple as pulling fibre from the cabinet. The fibre would have to be brought from the main exchange building in Mallow. I think fritzelly asked you if any yellow lines on https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ are passing the site. I don't believe you answered this. If they are already going to pass the site as part of the overall plan it would obviously increase the likelihood that you'd be included.

Sorry I must have missed where he asked me that, I've just checked that and where our house is it says it's in a live area, i.e. light green colour.

Sorry I must have missed where he asked me that, I've just checked that and where our house is it says it's in a live area, i.e. light green colour.

We are specifically interested in the yellow lines. As you zoom into the map you'll see them radiating in different directions from the centre of Mallow. Does one of these yellow lines pass your site?

Yeah there's a yellow line passing the main road outside the site

453308.png

Yeah there's a yellow line passing the main road outside the site

453308.png

There's a very high possibility you were told correct then that they are going to do FTTH there
    But you are not on the rollout map. Did you hear anymore back from OE about getting added?
    Your eircode is very likely not prequalling for FTTH so that would need to be sorted before you can order it and then I wouldn't be looking at getting it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not getting the whole picture there.

That route is only there to service houses starting further out. There won't be (active) optical DPs in your area. Thus the green hilight.

Any orders will go for NLP with KNN then VDSL follow up. Thats it. Maybe post 300K/NBP you'll become fillin but not for a long while.

• Advertisement

There's a very high possibility you were told correct then that they are going to do FTTH there
    But you are not on the rollout map. Did you hear anymore back from OE about getting added?
    Your eircode is very likely not prequalling for FTTH so that would need to be sorted before you can order it and then I wouldn't be looking at getting it any time soon.

He's not going to be on the rollout map as it's not part of the 300K premises agreed with the Government. If they intend servicing the houses his Eircode will pass when it's live.

That cabinet nearest to him doesn't look like it's serving many homes but I suppose it could be full.

Really Dave we're all just speculating here whether you'll get FTTH or not. None of us can tell you for sure. It's likely that the decision has been made one way or another by Openeir so you'll just have to keep checking your Eircode and hope it eventually passes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement