Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Many a new estate next to the rollout are going FTTH - OE are not wasting any more time on laying new copper but this is where they would already be covering them with FTTC if they had existed prior to the rollout so not technically part of the 300k rollout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    Not getting the whole picture there.

That route is only there to service houses starting further out. There won't be (active) optical DPs in your area. Thus the green hilight.

Any orders will go for NLP with KNN then VDSL follow up. Thats it. Maybe post 300K/NBP you'll become fillin but not for a long while.

The thing is there is some precedence for situations somewhat similar to this. digiman posted about his estate going straight to FTTH, no copper installed at all.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105601667

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The thing is there is some precedence for situations somewhat similar to this. digiman posted about his estate going straight to FTTH, no copper installed at all.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105601667

And if Dave was in an estate I'd say there's some limited hope of that. His house is being built on what was essentially a traffic island. OE won't make any arrangements for that and it'll just get dropped into the ARD database for copper service.

ED E wrote: »
    And if Dave was in an estate I'd say there's some limited hope of that. His house is being built on what was essentially a traffic island. OE won't make any arrangements for that and it'll just get dropped into the ARD database for copper service.

He was already told it would be FTTH
    There are new build streets getting FTTH even when everyone else around them is FTTC (again being in short proximity to the rollout)

But the timeframe for them is certainly not short term. even the pic Dave posted shows they're not live but then again the rollout map is not always accurate

50092 FTTH connections at the end of Q1 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. It seems about 10000 connections are being installed per quarter.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/quarterly-key-data-report-q1-2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

50092 FTTH connections at the end of Q1 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. It seems about 10000 connections are being installed per quarter.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/quarterly-key-data-report-q1-2018
    The 154gb average FTTP data usage per month versus 207.3gb for cable is interesting. Most choosing 150mbit speeds wouldn't really greatly limit data usage. The data caps might have a small effect. Maybe a lot of people getting FTTP are not really deep into the internet yet.

SIROs summer offer may affect take-up rates and average speeds in future reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Here's a couple I took this morning.

New wire is above existing double wire

453430.jpg

453431.jpg
    funnyname wrote: »
    I'll try to take a photo of orange cable later on today.

Currently there's a big spool (half full) of the black cable in the ditch a couple of miles from the village on the Corofin side of the village.

Killinaboy is getting ftth as is Carron and Fanore they are all smaller spots than Kilfenora which is smack bang in the middle of the bigger villages/towns of Ennistymon, Lisdoonvarna and Corofin so I presume they'll be bring fibre though Kilfenora anyways to link all of those places together.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yup, that looks like fibre.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yup, that looks like fibre.

Yeah I agree it is fibre but if they are not leaving loops of cable on certain poles or have fitted distribution boxes then it won't be of much use to funnyname as I believe they are just bring fibre through Kilfenora to reach Carron.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sky now looking for existing DSL/FTTC customers for the trial.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057876951

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Which would indicate, that it's SIRO we're talking about. As OpenEIR FTTC doesn't really overlap that much with OpenEIR FTTH.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Which would indicate, that it's SIRO we're talking about. As OpenEIR FTTC doesn't really overlap that much with OpenEIR FTTH.

/M

Exactly

But what exactly do they need to trial? Whether it works? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

/M

It doesnt say that.
    Why don't you give them an Eir enabled eircode and see what their reply is.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Exactly

But what exactly do they need to trial? Whether it works? :confused:

One would assume systems, processes etc

It doesnt say that.
    Pretty much everywhere in the news it's Siro - Bray seems to be the center of attention at the mo

And as Marlow pointed out - they are asking for people with current FTTC connections ergo eir do not have a FTTH connection (in pretty much all cases)
    I guess but I would assume Siro are licencing the software to them

The Sky rep actually mentioned Sky ADSL customers that they were looking for which may lend credence to the FTTH theory. I'm still not a fan of how they've gone about launching.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/107291323

Pretty much everywhere in the news it's Siro - Bray seems to be the center of attention at the mo

And as Marlow pointed out - they are asking for people with current FTTC connections ergo eir do not have a FTTH connection (in pretty much all cases)

I guess but I would assume Siro are licencing the software to them

Sky havent said anything about Bray unless i've missed a press release?

Actually they asked for current ADSL customers. not sure what you mean by your last line, but you'd assume Sky would want to move people off an old slow copper product and onto FTTH.

An assumption, but Eir havent licensed software to sky so i dont know if Sky would take on a siro system

The Sky rep actually mentioned Sky ADSL customers that they were looking for which may lend credence to the FTTH theory. I'm still not a fan of how they've gone about launching.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/107291323

They say FTTC in another post (probably ADSL as well)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got an email from Sky recently so the trial must also be Eir FTTH areas:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

We’re excited to let you know that Sky Fibre broadband is coming soon to your area, with speeds of up to 1Gb.

Register your interest in Sky Fibre 1Gb today.

It doesnt say that.

You specified ADSL/FTTC (see quote below). FTTC means mostly Urban. Urban means SIRO, not OpenEIR FTTH.

Also .. where does it say "Eir enabled eircode" ?? Nothing what you've referenced says that.

/M

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I got an email from Sky recently so the trial must also be Eir FTTH areas:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

We’re excited to let you know that Sky Fibre broadband is coming soon to your area, with speeds of up to 1Gb.

Register your interest in Sky Fibre 1Gb today.

Where's that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Where's that?

It was an email I received directly from Sky.

A few weeks ago they were talking Siro and NBP (no mention of eir)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/sky-pursues-eir-and-virgin-with-launch-of-high-speed-fibre-broadband-1.3499417

But they are keeping their cards close to their chest

As a third party it wouldn't make sense to restrict themselves to just Siro. Other companies are working with both
    Gonzo wrote: »
    It was an email I received directly from Sky.
    You're in a Siro planned area (should read the mini profile lol)

As a third party it wouldn't make sense to restrict themselves to just Siro. Other companies are working with both

They are actually only working with one: BT.

So their only perogative is pricing and they've not been able to push that down when it comes to OpenEIR FTTH.

/M

They all are or just Sky - I thought Sky dropped BT?

I don't know what all the negativity is about. It can only be good news for customers if Sky join the platform. They may do promotional pricing and even if they don't it will be another bargaining chip to use when contracts are up with current providers.

They all are or just Sky - I thought Sky dropped BT?

They can't in Ireland ... not that easy anyhow.

Their IP addresses in Ireland are all owned by BT. So they'd need to find a provider, that providers them with the ENTIRE infrastructure here.

/M

I don't know what all the negativity is about. It can only be good news for customers if Sky join the platform. They may do promotional pricing and even if they don't it will be another bargaining chip to use when contracts are up with current providers.

Simples: they discount below feasability, sell a massively overcontended product (not that Vodafone is any better currently) and basically drive anybody else out of the market.

Then the prices will get jacked up, when the finances don't add up anymore.

/M

• Advertisement

Simples: they discount below feasability, sell a massively overcontended product (not that Vodafone is any better currently) and basically drive anybody else out of the market.

Then the prices will get jacked up, when the finances don't add up anymore.

/M

It seems to me Ireland has a lot of ISPs for a country it's size. I suppose it's understandable given a lot started as WISPs serving local areas. However as Openeir's network expands deeper into rural Ireland it is introducing competition that local providers never had before. If the NBP goes ahead this is going to be even more pronounced.

Do you ever see a time where the larger regional ISPs, yourselves, Westnet, Net1 etc could merge to be a truly national competitor to eir, Sky etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement