Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dave147 wrote: »
    He had a fella down on the site today and he said Eir don't want to put copper into new developments and he'll see if he can arrange to put fibre into the 4 houses soon.

That's true - but 4 houses hmmm

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its not showing on the rural 300, so maybe we arent part of that scheme. Showing on the other one though and below is what shows.

"Great News, Fibre broadband with speed up to 1000Mb/s is available at your address. You can order from the list of service providers here."

If FTTC capacity is there then that is what you are stuck with more than likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Its not showing on the rural 300, so maybe we arent part of that scheme. Showing on the other one though and below is what shows.

"Great News, Fibre broadband with speed up to 1000Mb/s is available at your address. You can order from the list of service providers here."

Do not agree to take 30Mb. They are trying to sell you DSL. Make it clear to sales that you want a FTTH package, the base package of which is 150Mb. Give them your Eircode, tell them it is showing as available on their site. Do not accept any package below 150Mb.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do not agree to take 30Mb. They are trying to sell you DSL. Make it clear to sales that you want a FTTH package, the base package of which is 150Mb. Give them your Eircode, tell them it is showing as available on their site. Do not accept any package below 150Mb.

...or talk to an ISP that (a) understands the difference and (b) cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

How do you know the difference? we are already on a 4MB dsl line with them.

fritzelly wrote: »
    KNN don't make the decisions tho - so doesn't matter how high up he is.
    Like I said within 50 meters then good chance they may say yes - anymore probably no chance.

How hard would it be to get an Eircode added to the APQ? Are you telling me there are not close ties between the two organisations? Now I'm not saying it will definitely happen but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

• Advertisement

If that is what sales in eir are telling him then that is what is on the system when they check - they can't even offer a lower package without managerial permission
    And good luck getting them to do anything about it.
    Could be just a glitch in either its not FTTH or the eircode/ard key is not matched up correctly.

How hard would it be to get an Eircode added to the APQ? Are you telling me there are not close ties between the two organisations? Now I'm not saying it will definitely happen but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

If you are not already mapped on the rollout then you are better off contacting openeir direct and asking will they add you.
    These are sales guys trying to make a bonus - they don't wanna be spending time chasing this kind of stuff up. Actually I'm not even sure they are allowed to do it.
    Or as above asking someone who cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KN have zero impact on rollout. The wholesale providers have some chance of adding Eircodes within reason with a lot of shouting. Generally there is zero wiggle room.

KN also have no impact on rollout, because the planning is done by OpenEIR. And even at that they get it wrong sometimes and leave a whole bunch of houses out, even though they got enabled when KN passed them. But KN doesn't report that back to them.

/M

How do you know the difference? we are already on a 4MB dsl line with them.

The eir site is telling you FTTH is available. That means your Eircode has been included in the APQ file by Openeir given to all ISPs. Now either it is a mistake and your Eircode should not be there or you were talking to a clueless sales rep who wasn't aware of the difference.

There are other ISPs selling FTTH. Check with one of them.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons)

If you are not already mapped on the rollout then you are better off contacting openeir direct and asking will they add you.
    These are sales guys trying to make a bonus - they don't wanna be spending time chasing this kind of stuff up. Actually I'm not even sure they are allowed to do it.
    Or as above asking someone who cares...

Sales? He said he knew someone in KN management.

• Advertisement

If that is what sales in eir are telling him then that is what is on the system when they check - they can't even offer a lower package without managerial permission
    And good luck getting them to do anything about it.
    Could be just a glitch in either its not FTTH or the eircode/ard key is not matched up correctly.

To be fair to them they are incompetent cabbages, if i had the option i would be going elsewhere but i dont.

This is the same company who i purchased a mobile package on top of my crappy 4MB line and they messed up on the discounts. The only way they could give me what they sold me was by cancelling the account 3 times and rebuilding it.

I am not sure if i should challenge them on it, i dont think i would get an answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The keyword for them is Extreme, thats the difference in their sales and accounting package.

ED E wrote: »
    The keyword for them is Extreme, thats the difference in their sales and accounting package.

"Extreme"ly incompetent :) --- (pretty much most telecoms/broadband sales people that work for larger operators)

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    KN have zero impact on rollout. The wholesale providers have some chance of adding Eircodes within reason with a lot of shouting. Generally there is zero wiggle room.

KN also have no impact on rollout, because the planning is done by OpenEIR. And even at that they get it wrong sometimes and leave a whole bunch of houses out, even though they got enabled when KN passed them. But KN doesn't report that back to them.

/M

Fair enough but I've enough experience of "who you know" getting stuff done in this country to be suspicious.

Sales? He said he knew someone in KN management.

You're thinking the wrong person (hint Dave)

Will give an hint - get on to the Connection Center and not sales, they tend to be not 16 year old failed leaving cert employees and will go out of their way a bit more to see what they can do.

Fair enough but I've enough experience of "who you know" getting stuff done in this country to be suspicious.

Oh ... I don't disagree ... talking to KN is just plain and simple barking up the wrong tree. No matter how high up in management the person is.

/M

You're thinking the wrong person (hint Dave)

Ah right. Sorry. He could have FTTH available though and not show up in the 300K checker. None of Openeir's urban premises would show up in it and there must be about 50000 of them. Best bet is to try another ISP who understands what they sell.

Marlow wrote: »
    "Extreme"ly incompetent :) --- (pretty much most telecoms/broadband sales people that work for larger operators)

/M

You all have me worried now lol, ill need to get back on to them tomorrow and see what they say.

I am half expecting them to come and install and it cant go in.

Ah right. Sorry. He could have FTTH available though and not show up in the 300K checker. None of Openeir's urban premises would show up in it and there must be about 50000 of them. Best bet is to try another ISP who understands what they sell.

I'm guessing he's nowhere near the end of the rollout and the KNN guy is trying to be a charmer ("soon" lol). And didn't get the impression he was a new urban development.
    If he's beyond 50 meters from the end of line then very unlikely they will go on and extend it especially for just 4 houses.
    Even if he is urban I just cannot see them going out of their way to feed off cabling for them any time "soon" (hand over to Marlow to reiterate KNN don't dictate what OE do)

Over to you Dave...

You all have me worried now lol, ill need to get back on to them tomorrow and see what they say.

I am half expecting them to come and install and it cant go in.

Quick check you can do for yourself is go to fibrerollout.ie and View Map and enter your eircode
    If your house is right next to the yellow line that shows the fibre rollout then a good chance you can get FTTH and if your house shows the FTTH icon even better
    If your house is nowhere near the yellow line then it's probably a mistake that its showing you as FTTH (wouldn't be the first time)
    Wasting your time arguing with the sales guys in eir, if you have an order in then phone 1901 and ask for the connection center and chat with them or one of the other Fibre operators (I'm sure you can find their numbers)

• Advertisement

I'm guessing he's nowhere near the end of the rollout and the KNN guy is trying to be a charmer ("soon" lol). And didn't get the impression he was a new urban development.
    If he's beyond 50 meters from the end of line then very unlikely they will go on and extend it especially for just 4 houses.
    Even if he is urban I just cannot see them going out of their way to feed off cabling for them any time "soon" (hand over to Marlow to reiterate KNN don't dictate what OE do)

Over to you Dave...

My quote was about Calhoun there not Dave. Calhoun could have it available and not show in the checker.

Quick check you can do for yourself is go to fibrerollout.ie and View Map and enter your eircode
    If your house is right next to the yellow line that shows the fibre rollout then a good chance you can get FTTH and if your house shows the FTTH icon even better
    If your house is nowhere near the yellow line then it's probably a mistake that its showing you as FTTH (wouldn't be the first time)
    Wasting your time arguing with the sales guys in eir, if you have an order in then phone 1901 and ask for the connection center and chat with them or one of the other Fibre operators (I'm sure you can find their numbers)

No. No. No. He could be urban and never appear on that.

I am actually on map right next to the yellow line, it ends about 1-2 house down from me. We are on a bog road between two towns and we are the last couple to be covered.

I will give 1901 a bell tomorrow and chat with the connection centre. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: just checked again and the yellow line actually ends just after my property.

I am actually on map right next to the yellow line, it ends about 1-2 house down from me. We are on a bog road between two towns and we are the last couple to be covered.

I will give 1901 a bell tomorrow and chat with the connection centre. Thanks for the advice.

You have been included then. You're one of the cases where they have passed you even though you were not originally in the plan. The advice stands. Do not sign up for anything below 150Mb.

You have been included then. You're one of the cases where they have passed you even though you were not originally in the plan. The advice stands. Do not sign up for anything below 150Mb.

I will get on to them in the morning i can still cancel at this stage anyway. I want to get the best i can believe me 30MB is not a bad upgrade after being on 4MB but i would like to be able to do more online.

I will get on to them in the morning i can still cancel at this stage anyway. I want to get the best i can believe me 30MB is not a bad upgrade after being on 4MB but i would like to be able to do more online.

If you're that remote (between two towns on a bog road) I don't see how they could even give you 30Mb over copper. How far away is your exchange do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have a current landline number and feel like PMing it to me I'll dump the prequal data it offers.

If you're that remote (between two towns on a bog road) I don't see how they could even give you 30Mb over copper. How far away is your exchange do you know?

I am with them at the moment, we are on 4MB on the copper. Its a pain in the ass. I am actually paying for two providers right now, i use the eir line which is 4MB for work as its much better than imagine.

Imagine i use for the wife and kids.

ED E wrote: »
    If you have a current landline number and feel like PMing it to me I'll dump the prequal data it offers.

Send, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

All I can say is I'll keep ye posted, regarding soon he was referring to this week, he was on site when he rang. Said there's a cabinet on site and he'll see can he get the houses connected up.. sure let's wait and see I suppose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement