Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"error": null,
    "fullAddress": null,
    "townEnabled": false,
    "maxDSL": null,
    "maxHSI": "1000M_100M_F",
    "maxFTCHSI": null,
    "maxNGB": "4M_384K_R",
    "maxNRA": "1000M_100M_F",

"maxFTCNRA": null,
    "maxDSLServiceCode": null,
    "maxHSIServiceCode": "FHBPP1G",
    "maxFTCHSIServiceCode": null,
    "maxNGBServiceCode": "NGNBMB8M",
    "maxNRAServiceCode": "FHBPP1G",
    "maxFTCNRAServiceCode": null,
    "phase": "Available Now",
    "phone": "REDACTED",
    "validationType": "phone",
    "message": null,
    "redCustomer": false,
    "lastUpdated": null,
    "itv": true,
    "partialAddresses": null,
    "completed": true,
    "needsEircode": false,
    "wideSearch": null,
    "recommendedBundles":

And
    "customerType": "NGB",
    "futureRfo": false,
    "aaa": "REDACTED",
    "caaa": null,
    "faaa": null,
    "ccb": "005",
    "ccben": false,
    "eee": "REDACTED",

They know your CCB but do not prequal you for VDSL. This means 30Mb is not available to you.

Telesales agent done goofed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Dave147 wrote: »
    All I can say is I'll keep ye posted, regarding soon he was referring to this week, he was on site when he rang. Said there's a cabinet on site and he'll see can he get the houses connected up.. sure let's wait and see I suppose

Can't hurt anyway!

ED E wrote: »
    And

They know your CCB but do not prequal you for VDSL. This means 30Mb is not available to you.

Telesales agent done goofed.

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

So i take it its an error on the website?

Calhoun wrote: »

FTTH is available to you:

"maxNRA": "1000M_100M_F"

As before the base package is 150Mb/30Mb, the intermediate is 300Mb/50Mb and the top is 1000Mb/100Mb.

• Advertisement

Ah ok i will need to call them in the morning to check it out. They don't seem very competent as usual. I got some line about it being 30MB and it would go up.

Thats from their website which is fed by OpenEir. Not sure how you managed to get an offer of 30Mb.

EDIT: My only guess is they issued it as an NLP not a transfer of services which should then be rejected by UG. Cant say for sure thats what they've done, but its the only thing that makes a smidgen of sense.

Thats from their website which is fed by OpenEir. Not sure how you managed to get an offer of 30Mb.

Your asking me how i got offered 30MB? On the same call this morning i was also told that as soon as they order it my net could go down, could go down tomorrow, or the next day or might be connected all the way up to the install.

EDIT: My only guess is they issued it as an NLP not a transfer of services which should then be rejected by UG. Cant say for sure thats what they've done, but its the only thing that makes a smidgen of sense.

Whats an NLP?

New line provide - new build or line gone for 366 days +.

Frankly from that you got a monkey on the phone. Lets put no faith in any of it until confirmed.

• Advertisement

New line provide - new build or line gone for 366 days +.

Frankly from that you got a monkey on the phone. Lets put no faith in any of it until confirmed.

We are actually a new build but i have been an eir customer for over 2 years. I actually had to get added to the fibre rollout manually as we werent on it.

One of you gents gave me an email address to send my details to in open air.

We are actually a new build but i have been an eir customer for over 2 years. I actually had to get added to the fibre rollout manually as we werent on it.

One of you gents gave me an email address to send my details to in open air.

That was me. I lose track of all the names. I should have recognised you when you asked the question earlier.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/106743494

That was me. I lose track of all the names. I should have recognised you when you asked the question earlier.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/106743494

Ah well thank you again :), its quite scary that you guys know a good bit more than some of the guys on the phone in eir.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I got an email from Sky recently so the trial must also be Eir FTTH areas:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

We’re excited to let you know that Sky Fibre broadband is coming soon to your area, with speeds of up to 1Gb.

Register your interest in Sky Fibre 1Gb today.

Gonzo, unrelated to the above but I was driving through Dunshaughlin recently and saw the footpaths sprayed with arrows and numbers. This was down around the bus stop on both sides. As I was in the car I didn't get a good look. Have you noticed it? Is it something to do with Virgin or SIRO do you think?

Ok so i spoke with Eir, funnily enough my line has no speed limit but a download cap of 30GB a month.

Considering i am on a 4MB line and do at least 100GB a month 30GB is a bit crap. I don't think that is sustainable.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ok so i spoke with Eir, funnily enough my line has no speed limit but a download cap of 30GB a month.

Considering i am on a 4MB line and do at least 100GB a month 30GB is a bit crap. I don't think that is sustainable.

I have to ask: why are you still talking to eir? Is there no ISP with even a hint of a clue that you could talk to?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have to ask: why are you still talking to eir? Is there no ISP with even a hint of a clue that you could talk to?

You think I'd be dancing with the devil if I had a choice ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gonzo, unrelated to the above but I was driving through Dunshaughlin recently and saw the footpaths sprayed with arrows and numbers. This was down around the bus stop on both sides. As I was in the car I didn't get a good look. Have you noticed it? Is it something to do with Virgin or SIRO do you think?

I heard that is going to be a new footpath both sides of the road. They are building a new Lidl and several shops near that location and want it to become more of a 'town center'.

I've been told that Virgin laid much of their fibre in the weeks leading up to the Beast From The East during February and March. Virgin are very tight lipped on when a service will start at Dunshaughlin.

Still no signs of any Siro work taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You think I'd be dancing with the devil if I had a choice ?

You have a choice: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

There are 8 providers listed with a green house. ALL of them can provide FTTH using OpenEIR lines.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    You have a choice: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

There are 8 providers listed with a green house. ALL of them can provide FTTH using OpenEIR lines.

/M

I am very distrustful of small rurual broadband providers, for the most part they have illustrated that for the most part they will bend you over where they can so you pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Airwire have been very helpful to me.
    I am very distrustful of small rurual broadband providers, for the most part they have illustrated that for the most part they will bend you over where they can so you pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is there some kind of special mind trick I have to use to get KN to install the cable?

The first guy came last week and said he would need two people to get the job done.
    A different guy came today on his own and said it wasn't safe to climb the pole and he would come back some other day with a hoist.

They all seem to come around 4:30pm and I found out from the first guy they get off work at 5pm

The mix of providers there, don't see any small rural providers.

There are a few regional, but large enough providers and then there's providers that simply don't do anything else than selling services on OpenEIRs network.

Westnet, Net1, Fastcom, BBnet and Airwire are all regional providers, but I wouldn't call any of them small. Each of them would service in the range of 3000-10k+ customers.

Pure Telecom and Digiweb are national more or less.

Point out to me, how you define small rural provider ? My definition of a small rural provider is under 1000 subscribers.

/M

The mix of providers there, don't see any small rural providers.

There are a few regional, but large enough providers and then there's providers that simply don't do anything else than selling services on OpenEIRs network.

Westnet, Net1, Fastcom, BBnet and Airwire are all regional providers, but I wouldn't call any of them small. Each of them would service in the range of 3000-10k+ customers.

Pure Telecom and Digiweb are national more or less.

Point out to me, how you define small rural provider ? My definition of a small rural provider is under 1000 subscribers.

/M

I mean more predatory providers who target rural customers and charge an arm and a leg for data.

I will have a look around but have looked at a few in the past and you pay more.

I mean more predatory providers who target rural customers and charge an arm and a leg for data.

I will have a look around but have looked at a few in the past and you pay more.

Erhmm ... Eir pricing for their bundle is 83 EUR for 150 Mbit/s once the "honeymoon" period expires. 56 EUR for FTTH standalone. And that with a 1 TB cap/month whereas they charge you up to 100 EUR additionally automatically each month you go over. It can't get any worse than that.

Any of the other providers listed is cheaper. Each one of them.

Also ... how can a rural provider, that charges 25-45 EUR for broadband per month be more expensive than Eir, when Eirs base pricing starts with the 26 (or was it 28 EUR) line rental ... before you even have broadband ? Especially when all that Eir delivers in rural areas (apart from FTTH) is 1-3 Mbit/s on ADSL ... when you're lucky to get it.

/M

Erhmm ... Eir pricing for their bundle is 83 EUR for 150 Mbit/s once the "honeymoon" period expires. 56 EUR for FTTH standalone. And that with a 1 TB cap/month whereas they charge you up to 100 EUR additionally automatically each month you go over. It can't get any worse than that.

Any of the other providers listed is cheaper. Each one of them.

Also ... how can a rural provider, that charges 25-45 EUR for broadband per month be more expensive than Eir, when Eirs base pricing starts with the 26 (or was it 28 EUR) line rental ... before you even have broadband ? Especially when all that Eir delivers in rural areas (apart from FTTH) is 1-3 Mbit/s on ADSL ... when you're lucky to get it.

/M

Havent looked at the others since looking at wireless a year or so ago and back then the cost versus what you get wasn't the best.

I will have a look at them for sure but in after decent data allowance and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wireless and wired are very different beasts

True enough which is why i have to have a look around now. I suppose the wireless experience put my off allot of the rural providers but if they are better than eir for wired its worth a go.

Havent looked at the others since looking at wireless a year or so ago and back then the cost versus what you get wasn't the best.

I will have a look at them for sure but in after decent data allowance and reliability.

If that's the case, you have already ruled out Eir ... lowest cap, highest price and shoddiest router. They are the only ones, that automatically charge you, if you exceed the limit. And not too shabby either.
    True enough which is why i have to have a look around now. I suppose the wireless experience put my off allot of the rural providers but if they are better than eir for wired its worth a go.

You need to stop to brush all providers you don't know over with the same brush. If you don't, you'll always get the worst deal. And it doesn't matter how they provide their broadband. It's how they conduct their business. You find equally bad providers in the wired business.

There are 50+ rural providers in Ireland. If not twice that.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Projection date 14th of June. Missed and now it’s the 24th of July. Joke of a company.

Meanwhile salesmen were going around selling contracts last week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement