Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Projection date 14th of June. Missed and now it’s the 24th of July. Joke of a company.

Meanwhile salesmen were going around selling contracts last week

Joke is a understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Projection date 14th of June. Missed and now it’s the 24th of July. Joke of a company.

They've been doing the same thing since at least early 17. Had Eir sales reps, both on the phone and door to door telling me it was available pretty much right away but ended up taking a year. Charged me all those months I was waiting and then cancelled my contract the day after it was eventually installed. Wouldn't reconnect me unless I agreed to a worse contract despite being told I'd get my original offer several times on the phone. They really are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

If it helps i think way back I quoted to you my company were given a date by a third party supplier of late June for Borrisoleigh FTTP. They just hit that today as promised.

As regards a home install for my parents... As Tuxy (long time no see!) says further up keep getting guys calling late in the day with zero interest in doing the job only coming up with issues. So I'm now trying to get a morning only install as i hear they may have a better completion rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You guys need to deal with Imagine to put this stuff into perspective. Eir is bad for sure but Imagine are equally as bad for selling their "fibre" solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Calhoun wrote: »
    You guys need to deal with Imagine to put this stuff into perspective. Eir is bad for sure but Imagine are equally as bad for selling their "fibre" solution.

yup imagine are cowboys too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir have their problems but at least when you finally get fibre from them, you know it's going to be good. The Imagine thread is an excellent example of why they and their wireless product should have no place in the NBP or the future of broadband in Ireland. Imagine is also the more expensive baseline product in Ireland marketed as 'fibre'.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

When I put in my eircode it says fiber to the home is available I then pick my package say 300 and it say to enter my phone number and it says up to 90 is available why am I getting conflicting on eir website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

When I put in my eircode it says fiber to the home is available I then pick my package say 300 and it say to enter my phone number and it says up to 90 is available why am I getting conflicting on eir website

I suspect it is this situation:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106704225&postcount=524

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exactly. Can take up to 5 days to get them merged (with eir) and then you can order FTTH

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir have their problems but at least when you finally get fibre from them, you know it's going to be good. The Imagine thread is an excellent example of why they and their wireless product should have no place in the NBP or the future of broadband in Ireland. Imagine is also the more expensive baseline product in Ireland marketed as 'fibre'.

Indeed i cannot wait to be rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    Exactly. Can take up to 5 days to get them merged (with eir) and then you can order FTTH

What is the process for getting them merged? Does the customer have to do anything? Do they have to phone support? Are all retail support staff aware of this issue? Can a retail support rep organise the merge?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What is the process for getting them merged? Does the customer have to do anything? Do they have to phone support? Are all retail support staff aware of this issue? Can a retail support rep organise the merge?

They can usually be merged in a few minutes with a QB order on UG. It doesn't always work, but it usually does.

As to whether all retailers' support staff know this: it depends on the retailer, I guess.

Customer care probably got no idea. Dunno about sales staff knowing - probably hit and miss but they should be qualifying on the eircode anyway

They have to be sent off to HSQ to get merged so anyone should be able to get it sorted out.

But they can do an eircode only order, doesn't need an ARD key

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They can usually be merged in a few minutes with a QB order on UG. It doesn't always work, but it usually does.

As to whether all retailers' support staff know this: it depends on the retailer, I guess.

I don't think anyone has permission (in eir support side) - bar CCC and tech UG access is restricted if not even given (with good reasons!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All the CS/Sales folk would use their SB billing platform to interface with UG (in a limited capacity). Their tech guys have UG creds and keys.

ED E wrote: »
    All the CS/Sales folk would use their SB billing platform to interface with UG (in a limited capacity). Their tech guys have UG creds and keys.

Limited as in thru R6? CS for sure don't have access directly
    As far as I know only CCC and Tech have direct access as they would need it beyond the basic stuff like appointments etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As far as I know only CCC and Tech have direct access as they would need it beyond the basic stuff like appointments etc

Within Eir/OpenEir not even OpenEIR CS use the same UG version, that the wholesales partners use.

Eir themselves don't use UG. They us their individual front-end, that interfaces with UG via API.

From what I've seen, the only ones that actually get the merge done are either OpenEIR (on manual request) or a clued up wholesales partner that is NOT Eir. There are a few tricks that were communicated recently, that facilitate a merge without interaction with OpenEir and pretty much within 24 hours. But it requires direct access to QB in UG.

/M

Yeah its an API driven frontend within the OE sphere
    I'm surprised that they allow the merging from 3rd parties tho - some potential there for screwing things up for other people.

Navi/Marlow - I heard a good few months back that OE were looking at making the eircode the defining factor in all orders i.e. the ARD was gonna be dropped and the phone number too as a pointer to an account/address. The only concern was that with a million plus addresses they saw it as a major headache to implemement. Do you know anymore about that? Don't seem to have gotten a "newsletter" update from them in ages - like what ever happened to the Saturday and evening appointments???

It's going to take them a looooong time before they get to that stage.

Their ard-key database is currently 2.7M records. That doesn't include old lines/premises, that actually don't even have an ard-key (yet).

Of those 2.7M approx 1.5M have no Eircode yet.

And the Eircode data they are using is also out of date. It sometimes looks like they haven't merged up-to-date eircode data with their database. Could also be a license issue. (as in money)

/M

If you had the data from eircode i'm sure you could automatically match up a lot of eircodes to the ard address for the urban areas where numbers are used - maybe that is why I heard the million figure, those addresses like in Loughrea where Padraig the postman knows them so just put on the envelope Mary, Loughrea

• Advertisement

If you had the data from eircode i'm sure you could automatically match up a lot of eircodes to the ard address for the urban areas where numbers are used

Nope. OEs data is so far off, that it's near to impossible to do an automatic match. Tried that, failed at it.

And a lot of urban stuff is actually not even ard-key indexed yet.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Nope. OEs data is so far off, that it's near to impossible to do an automatic match. Tried that, failed at it.

And a lot of urban stuff is actually not even ard-key indexed yet.

/M

A lot of the ARD data I've found is close enough - may not be an exact match for eircode.ie but you could do something with it to auto match a large majority of properties.
    Eircode is here to stay so something they should embrace, even going forward that they want eircodes for all new orders instead of 3 different systems to identify an account/house which is just ridiculous (saying that I don't know my eircode)

Yeah via R6. (Insert poo emoji)

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah via R6. (Insert poo emoji)

LOL - I hear they are looking to change the software, after spending millions on the R6 stuff (what I was told was much more than millions) that wasn't even suited for them. Stupid stuff like if you cancel an order the whole account is terminated (if no other active services), can only have one pending change on the account no matter if it was something as simple as an address change for example. Like who builds a system like that and and who pays for a system like that? Such an antiquated and unforgiving system - maybe it's so because they still have to integrate with the TIS system, dunno .
    Be interested to know what the other companies use?

Its nothing to do with TIS and everything to do with how the contract was formed with the developer and who they were. Tooootal ****show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Off topic but on Stop Search Seize on Sky Living a KN van was found with agri diesel in the tank. Will be repeated on CH207.

Out of curiosity, whats involved in the install? do they need to run a line from the pole to your house or do they use the existing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Out of curiosity, whats involved in the install? do they need to run a line from the pole to your house or do they use the existing line?

Have a look at this info video.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=sAN_Tpkrrtw

It's fiber all the way into the house. Common sense question: how is a copper line ever going to be used for that ?

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    It's fiber all the way into the house. Common sense question: how is a copper line ever going to be used for that ?

/M

How about relax, i asked a question as i didn't know what the process would be.

Do you feel better now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement