Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Update:
    KN installer number 3
    Says the pole is perfectly safe, no need for a hoist. Checks the line and says it's not turned on yet.

It took 3 engineer visits to find out the optic fibre isn't lit.

Do KN get paid extra for this kind of carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The newest excuse, that KN have come up with is to require that the router has to be present on standalone installations.

Even though they don't need it for the installation.

If it isn't present, they won't attend to the installation.

I wonder, who came up with that policy.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

tuxy wrote: »
    Update:
    KN installer number 3
    Says the pole is perfectly safe, no need for a hoist. Checks the line and says it's not turned on yet.

It took 3 engineer visits to find out the optic fibre isn't lit.

Do KN get paid extra for this kind of carry on?

Generally i have found that the path of least resistance is what they follow. God forbid they investigate something when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if I'm being thick, but that link tells me FTTH is now available for me. But Eir tells me it's not yet available.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being thick, but that link tells me FTTH is now available for me. But Eir tells me it's not yet available.

Feel free to order a connection from us so. We have nothing to do with Eir. We are an OpenEIR partner and use them for the last mile. It has nothing to do with us, if other providers aren't on the ball.

Feel free to order a connection from us so. We have nothing to do with Eir. We are an OpenEIR partner and use them for the last mile. It has nothing to do with us, if other providers aren't on the ball.
    So the fact that I haven't had any installation or work done other than the boxes appearing on poles etc doesn't make a difference?

My problem is that I contracted to eir about 5 months ago so I'm probably looking at a penalty if I cancel.

So the fact that I haven't had any installation or work done other than the boxes appearing on poles etc doesn't make a difference?

My problem is that I contracted to eir about 5 months ago so I'm probably looking at a penalty if I cancel.

You need to check with Eir retail about that. We have no dealings with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

So the fact that I haven't had any installation etc doesn't make a difference?

The list of Eircodes that can get the service is sent by Openeir to all retail ISPs. Airwire, to their credit, seem most proactive in updating their availability checker. Your Eircode should pass on Eir's checker when they update their database.

The Eircode checker on the Airwire website is for lines from Airwire only.

It can be used as an indicative tool to check for availability as it's the same data that all partners of OpenEIR receive, use and we update it every week when OpenEIR provides us with new data.

Other providers may not update their database quite as often and that can be the reason why your line still fails on their websites.

The same applies to the fibrerollout.ie site, which currently only seems to be updated every 2 months or so. That's why it lacks quite far behind. It was last updated on 21.05.2018. Our data is from 26.06.2018, so over a month newer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It gives me a date for next month ..... what does the date mean?
    Does it mean I can order from that date, or that date is the first possible date for installation?

Thanks.

It gives me a date for next month ..... what does the date mean?
    Does it mean I can order from that date, or that date is the first possible date for installation?

That's the first possible date we can order your line from OpenEIR. We can try schedule it for that date, but typically the installation would be a week after that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That's the first possible date we can order your line from OpenEIR. We can try schedule it for that date, but typically the installation would be a week after that date.

Thank you.

Let me add a 'congrats' to you for the web site providing the clearest information of any I have looked at. It was refreshing ..... and did much to highlight the failings of your competitors sites. ;)

Dear God Eir are awful.

Martin from Airwire, I'm afraid I can't sign up for yourselves, I am kinda tied to Eir because they include free access to BT Sports.

If I change provider I would have to pay for it separately which would then make it too expensive.

However I've just spent a good hour on Eir live chat support and believe me I wish it was different.

Eir chat clearly don't have a clue. Customer service were useless, sales team were pushy and aggressive on the upgrade.

Price wise they are fine, offering €50 for 150mb and a 1Tb download limit. Plus a €100 installation cost and a free router.

But they will not confirm whether the installation team will use the existing conduit or whether they will take a new line above ground to the house.

I asked to speak to the technicians to find out, they said I can't talk to the techs until I have placed the order. But I'm not prepared to place the order until I get confirmation from the techs!

Utterly useless crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

this says its available for myself but i had an engineer out yesterday who advised that the " distribution light is not on and a FTTH connection cant be installed and since then being told the forecast is July 25th"

Would this be the same with yourselves?

Dear God Eir are awful.

Martin from Airwire, I'm afraid I can't sign up for yourselves, I am kinda tied to Eir because they include free access to BT Sports.

If I change provider I would have to pay for it separately which would then make it too expensive.

However I've just spent a good hour on Eir live chat support and believe me I wish it was different.

Eir chat clearly don't have a clue. Customer service were useless, sales team were pushy and aggressive on the upgrade.

Price wise they are fine, offering €50 for 150mb and a 1Tb download limit. But they will not confirm whether the installation team will use the existing conduit or whether they will take a new line above ground to the house.

I asked to speak to the technicians to find out, they said I can't talk to the techs until I have placed the order. But I'm not prepared to place the order until I get confirmation from the techs!

Utterly useless crowd.

In fairness how can they give confirmation on something they can't see. AFAIK the installers will try to use the existing ducting, if that fails they may offer you the option of getting the ducting repaired or going overhead.

recyclops wrote: »
    this says its available for myself but i had an engineer out yesterday who advised that the " distribution light is not on and a FTTH connection cant be installed and since then being told the forecast is July 25th"

Would this be the same with yourselves?

Yes if the DP is not "lit" nobody can service you.

Does anyone know why OpenEir can't check if the fibre is ready to be connected up before sending several KN vans out?
    Is there no database for it?

Does anyone know why OpenEir can't check if the fibre is ready to be connected up before sending several KN vans out?
    Is there no database for it?

I asked this before. According to fritzelly they are using the installers as fault finders so that when the installer finds a section of cabling not functioning they can report it to Openeir for repair.

It is completely unfair on the customer though who may have taken a day off work for an installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yes if the DP is not "lit" nobody can service you.

Yeah i i thought as much :( odd that OpenEir obviously must know this but are advising around 100 houses that its available, so much so that eir are sending reps door to door

• Advertisement

But they will not confirm whether the installation team will use the existing conduit or whether they will take a new line above ground to the house.

An overhead installation is only possible if your house is within a radius of 50m from the nearest pole. If it's any further away, overhead is not possible.

If you're within those parameters, it is your choice, if you want it overhead or underground. You will have to discuss that with the engineer on the day.

We're currently working on an indicator in our availability check, that will tell you if an overhead installation is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Utterly useless crowd.

If they can use the existing ducting they will but in many cases it's blocked or crushed and needs replacing (€363.20 for KNN to do it but there are conditions to it)
    Overhead will only be offered if the infrastructure is already there and being used to provide a line to the duct - they won't start installing poles just to service yourself
    As for speaking to techs - you can't until they turn up to do the install. No one in eir Retail has access to them.

I asked this before. According to fritzelly they are using the installers as fault finders so that when the installer finds a section of cabling not functioning they can report it to Openeir for repair.

It is completely unfair on the customer though who may have taken a day off work for an installation.

Thanks for the info, that must be a crazy expensive way to test the network as in my case it took 3 call outs to find out it was not connected.

recyclops wrote: »
    Yeah i i thought as much :( odd that OpenEir obviously must know this but are advising around 100 houses that its available, so much so that eir are sending reps door to door

It depends where the fault is. It could be one or more distribution points that are not working so it may be actually available to some of that 100.

In fairness how can they give confirmation on something they can't see. AFAIK the installers will try to use the existing ducting, if that fails they may offer you the option of getting the ducting repaired or going overhead.
    The bit in bold is the issue though. Eir couldn't even tell me that much. The operator didn't seem to even understand what I was talking about.

I don't want an overground cable. If that's the only option then I will most likely have to use a wireless service like Beacon.

I'm not signing up for a 12 month contract without having a clue whether they can use the underground conduit.

Thanks for the info, that must be a crazy expensive way to test the network as in my case it took 3 call outs to find out it was not connected.

It seems shoddy to me as well but that appears to be the case.

Can be many things causing the DP problems, some may be at the DP or further down the line or some may be at the exchange - no real world way to tell but having someone physically go out and look

The bit in bold is the issue though. Eir couldn't even tell me that much. The operator didn't seem to even understand what I was talking about.

I don't want an overground cable. If that's the only option then I will most likely have to use a wireless service like Beacon.

I'm not signing up for a 12 month contract without having a clue whether they can use the underground conduit.

Can you test it yourself? Hire duct rods from a plant hire place and try to push it through. If it works leave a string in the duct for the KN guy and all will be good.

If you don't want an overhead solution and they can't use the existing ducting they will if the current ducting fits the criteria try and unblock it/replace it...for a price as I said earlier.
    Or you could just try getting an installation and if it fails say thanks but no thanks and go to a wireless provider.
    No one can tell you anything until a tech actually goes to try and install it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Can KN use the old copper line in the duct to pull thru the fibre?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement