Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

irishfeen wrote: »
    Can KN use the old copper line in the duct to pull thru the fibre?

They are not supposed to touch it but...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Can you test it yourself? Hire duct rods from a plant hire place and try to push it through. If it works leave a string in the duct for the KN guy and all will be good.
    Well my current line comes through it if that's any indication.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Or you could just try getting an installation and if it fails say thanks but no thanks and go to a wireless provider.
    No one can tell you anything until a tech actually goes to try and install it.
    But can I do that? They won't schedule the installation until I have already placed the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

fritzelly wrote: »
    They are not supposed to touch it but...

:) I thought as much, I know we are not getting FTTH via Eir but in our case the copper wire is completely obsolete as we have a wireless solution and the line is dead.

If the duct is intact and not after falling in then it would be a 2 min job in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

DrPhilG wrote: »
    But can I do that? They won't schedule the installation until I have already placed the order.

Yes, you can refuse installation on the day when the Tech is with you. and then cancel the order.

Means nothing to the condition of the duct
    They won't schedule the installation until I have already placed the order.

Well, obviously :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The duct could still be collapsed or there could be a break in it. The only way to know for sure is to try the rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Will do, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is cost to install with Eir ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What is cost to install with Eir ?

Depends on the package. 250 EUR according to pricelist, but they discount to 100 EUR on the 150 Mbit/s packages, I believe.

/M

I had FTTH from Eir. 5 weeks ago it goes down, not a bill issue all was paid up to date. I never could get an answer as to why it stopped working. They told me errors on their system, to someone there doing something they should not have. No clue what that means, I would ring and ring, and get no answers whatsoever.
    Then after two weeks plus I get a letter saying my account was cancelled, I never cancelled it, and asking for modem to be sent back. Then the phone when off too, plus the put a different number on my line. Not the number that is on home for years.

After more calls they said I was a new customer , and they pushed FTTH on me, told me it's much faster so on. They would not even listen that I already had this, I had to start from scratch with them. I had to again order 300mb deal, they then gave me a date for installation, it's already installed!! Again they won't listen, no it's not.
    So finally a guy comes to install, first thing he said was '' what am I doing here , it's all installed already'' anyway he fitted another new Modem. All he had to do was plug it in.
    So now I have 3 modems, the one that was installed already, the one they posted out to be installed, and the one the installer installed, he brought one too.
    I then get a bill for 176.00 for installation, these guys would wreck your head.

• Advertisement

After more calls they said I was a new customer , and they pushed FTTH on me, told me it's much faster so on. They would not even listen that I already had this, I had to start from scratch with them. I had to again order 300mb deal, they then gave me a date for installation, it's already installed!! Again they won't listen, no it's not.

Until end of April OpenEIR has not been able to identify existing, but not active lines. So any order on an inactive line ended up as a new installation ... for all operators.

That has only been changed start April. So it's down to each individual provider, how they deal with that.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I forgot to ask yesterday. If the fibre on the pole near my house is not ready to go and the engineer reports it. Do OpenEir get on it right away and hook it up or does it just randomly come online at some point?

Marlow wrote: »
    Until end of April OpenEIR has not been able to identify existing, but not active lines. So any order on an inactive line ended up as a new installation ... for all operators.

That has only been changed start April. So it's down to each individual provider, how they deal with that.

/M

But why should one suffer loss of service for 3 weeks and then get stuck with a bill of 176.00 for nothing.

tuxy wrote: »
    I forgot to ask yesterday. If the fibre on the pole near my house is not ready to go and the engineer reports it. Do OpenEir get on it right away and hook it up or does it just randomly come online at some point?

I assume they would have to send someone out to first find the fault and then fix it. How high a priority that would get is anyone's guess.

But why should one suffer loss of service for 3 weeks and then get stuck with a bill of 176.00 for nothing.

I didn't say, that you should have. I was giving you an explanation of where the re-installation fee came from.

Your experience with them on the other hand is inexcusable, but then I don't get why people order from Eir retail anyhow, when their service levels generally are like that and there are other options.

Their SLA states 10 work days for break/fix. So they would have been past that after 2 weeks. The problem is to prove that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

KN were fitting those black boxes on the poles near me yesterday. Anyone know what stage they're at or how long it usually takes after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

correction wrote: »
    KN were fitting those black boxes on the poles near me yesterday. Anyone know what stage they're at or how long it usually takes after that?

Pretty sure thats the last step before an actual install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

This only about my experience only and timescale vary widely from area to area. From black box installation to be available to connection is in my case about 6 weeks. On my road the trunk Fibre cable was rolled out on the 22 July last year. The black DP boxes were installed around the 20 August. The line was officially live on the 4th October and I got connected on the 7th 3 days later. They often work over weekends as the key dates of 22/7, 20/8 and 7/10 were all Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Seems like good news so. I guess an Eir salesman will be around before too long. The general consensus here is to hold out and look for a different provider, is it?

Seems like good news so. I guess an Eir salesman will be around before too long. The general consensus here is to hold out and look for a different provider, is it?

Not necessarily. I'm with eir and have had zero issues from install to general service to billing. I think it is up to each individual to look at all provider's offerings and weigh up the pros and cons of each.

• Advertisement

Said it before - you only really hear the complaints and being the biggest you see more complaints about eir. (check out the Vodafone and Sky forums!)
    If sports does it for you then eir is a no brainer and just pray everything goes well with the install (which in most cases does)

tuxy wrote: »

There's a lot that goes on from the initial tech report
    Could be nothing is even live yet and you are waiting for it to go live in the exchange - timeframe unknown. Forecast dates at the moment mean absolutely nothing, OE seem to be just throwing random dates around e.g. you could be due for a pole install on your land (usually 1-2 weeks install timeframe) and they are giving September forecast dates

But depends on what the issue is - OE are working single areas at a time to fix issues (continuing thru the rest of Summer and we actually are having a summer yippee). So you could be waiting a long time for a fix til they get around to your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone summarized the FUPs for all providers? Im too lazy to try and hunt them all down :P

Summarizing wouldn't be enough. You'd want the reference where to find the FUP. Here's the best effort of things, I've got at hand in alphabetical order:

Airwire ( http://www.airwire.ie ) tells you exactly, what your limit is and lets you top up, but doesn't charge automatically. Limits are from 1TB and up to 5TB depending on package.

Digiweb FTTC/VDSL - Unlimited Broadband: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 350GB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month.

We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

Digiweb FTTH - 1TB, if exceeded within a 30 day period, customer is notified. If exceeded twice within a 90 day period, connection is terminated.

Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

Reference for the two: go to the product -
    VDSL: https://www.digiweb.ie/product/fibre-home-broadband-summer-sale/
    FTTH: https://www.digiweb.ie/product/ultrafast-150/

Click on "Additional Information" and find the blob there.

Eir - eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month

Reference: https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/broadband-usage-allowance/

Lightnet ( http://www.lightnet.ie ) have caps of 80GB, 250GB and unlimited, but their idea of unlimited is 1TB according to their FUP. That can be found in their pricing chart.

Sky seems to have a 1TB FUP.

Vodafone is also 1TB limit, but then they're not doing OpenEIR FTTH currently, only FTTC.

Westnet ( http://www.westnet.ie ) have no limit in usage, but limit themselves to Mayo and surrounds. So if you're further away, it's best to check with them.

Haven't checked too much into others.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Do we know have Virgin Media any ambitions to use the OpenEir FTTH network in the future to offer their service? I see they are not on the list of providers.

Do we know have Virgin Media any ambitions to use the OpenEir FTTH network in the future to offer their service? I see they are not on the list of providers.

Nope and never will, they run their own network

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They will never use a wholesale access ISP. Reduces the profit margins too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quinntan

On the Airwire availability checker, the status has changed from "Not Available" to "coming soon". How long will it be before it is available?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Quinntan wrote: »
    On the Airwire availability checker, the status has changed from "Not Available" to "coming soon". How long will it be before it is available?

Unfortunately there are no precise estimates for that.

When it goes to coming soon, it means that OpenEIR have listed you in their overall list of lines, but not in the pre-qualification file yet. Assumption would be 1-2 months at the most, from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Openeir seem to be running with the 2 month intervals now for the fibre tracking map. last update 21/05.
    Guess the progress is slowing down now as they're moving into smaller exchange areas. Also I'm guessing this extremely warm weather will slow it down even more. There doesn't seem to be any realistic expectation they will finish what they've planned for 2018. It could run till the eoy 2019 by the looks of what they're left with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement