Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Got my fibre (FTTC) install sorted for next Wednesday, contact in KN really helped because they put in a phone line this week and that's after making things much easier, he said he's waiting on word back from a contact in openeir and as soon as he gets the go ahead he's going to put FTTH in, but 90mb will do fine for now.

Anyone else here on the Eir deal with Eir Sport and BT Sport? I am but not sure if I can get those channels on Sky or just via app only?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dave147 wrote: »
    Got my fibre (FTTC) install sorted for next Wednesday, contact in KN really helped because they put in a phone line this week and that's after making things much easier, he said he's waiting on word back from a contact in openeir and as soon as he gets the go ahead he's going to put FTTH in, but 90mb will do fine for now.

Anyone else here on the Eir deal with Eir Sport and BT Sport? I am but not sure if I can get those channels on Sky or just via app only?

You can get the eir sports channels via a Sky card (no subscription needed) and a Sky STB.
    IIRC you can enable two separate sky cards so should do a second room with a second sky stb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You will have to phone in to get them added to your Sky package

But you need to be a Sky customer, not freesat - so subscription needed

fritzelly wrote: »

What do you mean a Sky customer?
    How can one be a Sky customer if not paying Sky a subscription?

Uh? If you are not a Sky customer you cannot get the free sports package on the Sky box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

if you have sky box with a sky viewing card

log onto this site and enter the details and it should be up and running within the hour

http://subscribe.eirsport.ie/eircustomer

also regarding my current ongoing issues i have been on to eir and openeir and my forecast has been moved to 25 july now as they say they need to find the fault in the brand new installed line in order to fix a distribution point light issues

Uh? If you are not a Sky customer you cannot get the free sports package on the Sky box

I am not a 'Sky customer'. I pay no subscription, and bought nothing from Sky to get eir sports.
    I receive eir sports on a Sky box.

You have not explained how you can be a Sky customer and yet not pay Sky a subscription.
    That I would like to know.

I am not a 'Sky customer'. I pay no subscription, and bought nothing from Sky to get eir sports.
    I receive eir sports on a Sky box.

You have not explained how you can be a Sky customer and yet not pay Sky a subscription.
    That I would like to know.

Just double checked and you are correct - can use the viewing card.

Dunno what you are going about with "You have not explained how you can be a Sky customer and yet not pay Sky a subscription"

Just double checked and you are correct - can use the viewing card.

Glad we got that cleared up :D
    Dunno what you are going about with "You have not explained how you can be a Sky customer and yet not pay Sky a subscription"

I did not understand what you meant when you posted this

because I misread it as 'NO subscription needed' ..... apologies! :eek:

I've a Sky subscription lads so I'm ok, that's great I didn't think I'd get those channels, thought I'd only get them online because I don't do my TV with Eir. Possible fibre up and running later today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's quite possible to buy a Sky box on eBay or adverts and once it comes with a card and the account associated with it is fully paid it can then be used for eir sport. No need to deal with Sky at all. Selling the cards may be legally questionable though.

I've a Sky subscription lads so I'm ok, that's great I didn't think I'd get those channels, thought I'd only get them online because I don't do my TV with Eir. Possible fibre up and running later today!

Pray tell are you running at light speed?

fritzelly wrote:
    Pray tell are you running at light speed?

Haha I wouldn't say light speed but I'm getting 90mb while my neighbours can't even get a phone line, very pleased!

Haha I wouldn't say light speed but I'm getting 90mb while my neighbours can't even get a phone line, very pleased!

Ahh FTTC, thought you were going full on FTTH, least you can boast to the neighbours you watched Luke Cage in one day on Netflix
    And 90 on FTTC is really good, roll on supervectoring and you'll be flying!

fritzelly wrote:
    Ahh FTTC, thought you were going full on FTTH, least you can boast to the neighbours you watched Luke Cage in one day on Netflix And 90 on FTTC is really good, roll on supervectoring and you'll be flying!

FTTC for now but he said he's been onto a guy in openeir and as soon as he gives the go ahead for the DP to go live he'll be out to upgrade me to FTTH, no reason to doubt him after what he's done in the last fortnight for me. Still delighted with 90mb

FTTC for now but he said he's been onto a guy in openeir and as soon as he gives the go ahead for the DP to go live he'll be out to upgrade me to FTTH, no reason to doubt him after what he's done in the last fortnight for me. Still delighted with 90mb

TBH 90 to 150 you would barely notice the difference - a few extra seconds on downloads
    Unless you were using Netflix HD it wouldn't make any difference to you and even then you would be hard pressed to know any different. The only real advantage would be a more reliable consistent download speed if you needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Matter of fact, 30 Mbit/s is more than usable for most these days.

50 Mbit/s means leeway for scalability.

FTTH is preferable though, as it either works or doesn't (no degradation on distance from providing platform)

And then there is the issue with future proofing. Supervectoring is a gap filler in copper. Fixed wireless can be pushed to 200 Mbit/s on point to multipoint.

Going beyond that .. FTTH is going to be the only long term choice.

And calling FTTC fibre is a joke. (Not to call it a lie ... which it is in reality. )

/M

Super vectoring may be a gap filler but it is a cheap filler for a lot of people who don't really care for anything above 100mb, so be a naysayer for the tech but the majority don't really care

End of the day this will likely be an urban development and goes on as direct competition with Virgín

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Finally bit the bullet and ordered.

Not sure why but they discounted the already discounted amount.

I'll be going from 5mb (2 in reality) for €40 a month to 150mb for €45 monthly. Plus €99 installation.

Installation price and new package don't go live until successfully installed so all good.

Fingers crossed now that they can connect it underground with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Does anyone have any insight into how rollouts are planned?
    The wife's in-laws live down a lane and fibre has been run to within 200-300 metres of the end of it and not to the end where there's several houses and a business.
    The lane is a dead end at that business so it's odd that the fibre run terminated with the end of the line literally a few hundred metres away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's done programmatically, as discussed there are thousands of such instances but there's always "just another bit further".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

There's a few cul-de-sac lanes like that near me, and I find it strange too. "just another bit further" doesn't really apply in those cases because there is a defined end to them. In some cases the extra distance vs number of houses to be served might not be (as) economic. But the suspicion among many is that Eir wanted to spread their footprint as wide as possible to make it awkward for the NBP and maybe get paid a nice subsidy by the state to fill in the gaps. But, then of course their priorities changed, and they're no longer in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

We've been trying to order FTTH since last September.

We've had about 7 failed installs this year, all with the same error "No Light on DP".

While all of this was going on we had an issue with our copper line & an Eir engineer (not KN) was sent out to deal with it. When I told him about the difficulty we were having getting FTTH he told me that the fault hadn't been reported, if it had been, he would have gotten notice of it. He said it should be a simple issue to resolve since there are other customers connected to the other DP on the post, it was probably just a bad splice or a faulty DP. He said the only way to get Eir to fix it is to put pressure on them.

I've had no luck putting pressure on Eir & Digiweb haven't either.

Could anybody suggest how to get this resolved?

You cannot put pressure on OE to get them to "fix" anything
    They will get to it when they get to it p.s. it's not a fault as such, things like this are sent to the BCC to get working and they move in packs fixing these issues

Who is your order with?

Order is with Digiweb at the moment.

I tried ordering from Eir previously, but they weren't much help.

Frustrating as an Eir Sales rep accidentally showed me that a neighbour has it installed with our Eircode on the working DP. The KN guy told them the install wouldn't work from their assigned DP.

Is there anything I can do other than keep reordering it & wasting both my time & that of the KN guy that gets sent out?

P.S. What's the BCC?

The neighbour shouldnt have it with your eircode. Are you using the neighbours eircode?
    Is your address unique? They can use the ard key but then wholesale may look if there is an eircode merged with the address and then reject it.
    Up to Digiweb to try and sort it if your order is with them

BCC is the build center.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Eircode makes no difference. You can order multiple connections to the same Eircode as long as the name of the person on the connection differs.

The issue is simply, that they've got a faulty DP or splice and that needs to be escalated. Digiweb probably has better chances getting it fixed than Eir retail due to the internal structures in Eir.

/M

Yes, it wasn't the neighbour that used our Eircode, I think it was the KN technician that phoned in to arrange a workaround.

Maybe there shouldn't have been an issue ordering with the same eircode, but we had a big issue with it. It was coming up on Eir's system that it wasn't available for us to order, Eir sales were like talking to a wall, despite the fact that Open Eir had given us confirmation that it was available for us to order. We eventually got this resolved by approaching a KN guy on a pole that happened to know the right person in Eir, he phoned him for me & it was available for us to order within a few days.

Our address isn't unique, but I don't think the Eircode is an issue anymore as we are able to order it now.

Digiweb told me all they could do is resubmit an order, they have no way of putting any sort of pressure on Eir.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement

Eir systems will not allow multiple orders and Wholesale told me they would reject multiple orders at the same eircode. Then again there may be a way around it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement