Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Eir systems will not allow multiple orders and Wholesale told me they would reject multiple orders at the same eircode. Then again there may be a way around it.

Multiple orders at the same time for different operators: no.

Only one order in progress per Eircode at any time

Multiple orders from the same operator for the same Eircode: no problem.

Additional order on the same Eircode, after the previous order is completed: no problem in UG, which most of the wholesale partner use.

/M

fritzelly wrote: »
    Eir systems will not allow multiple orders and Wholesale told me they would reject multiple orders at the same eircode. Then again there may be a way around it.

Also .. that statement makes no sense at all.

Give you an example: Eircode F91 W2KH
    Give you another example: Eircode V95 C8HN

The Sligo Eircode covers 4 different business premises.
    The Clare Eircode covers 9 different business premises.

The same applies to certain residential buildings. You're not telling me, that only any one entity within an Eircode can get a FTTH line and everyone else is screwed. Most businesses certainly won't share their physical line with other businesses.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We've been trying to order FTTH since last September.

….

Could anybody suggest how to get this resolved?

Our area went live for FTTH at the beginning of Nov last, this person in a similar situation to you from the area had been unable to get FTTH until last week, have a read thru his tweets.

https://twitter.com/nickwhittome/status/1009390892938072064

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Marlow wrote: »
    Also .. that statement makes no sense at all.

Give you an example: Eircode F91 W2KH
    Give you another example: Eircode V95 C8HN

The Sligo Eircode covers 4 different business premises.
    The Clare Eircode covers 9 different business premises.

The same applies to certain residential buildings. You're not telling me, that only any one entity within an Eircode can get a FTTH line and everyone else is screwed. Most businesses certainly won't share their physical line with other businesses.

/M

I think he meant multiple orders at the same time? So all 4 premises couldn't place an order on the same day. first business would need to have an order comleted before second order could be placed.

I don't think its valid though. They would all have unique account numbers so multiple orders should be able to be progressed at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Installation going ahead (hopefully) on Thursday morning.

Any hints to make the process go smoother? Any way to check my ducting in advance?

• Advertisement

I don't think its valid though. They would all have unique account numbers so multiple orders should be able to be progressed at the same time.

The case of multiple orders not being possible only applies, if you enter the same account holder in the system.

Multiple orders at the same time on the same eircode are possible when the name differs substantially.

I'm just making it very clear that the myth of max 1 FTTH line per Eircode is not valid. It may be a limitation in Eir retails system, but it's clearly a flaw that's going to bite them in the long run. UG does not have that limitation.

I've also seen a case, where OpenEIR has cancelled an order off, because another one was incomplete in the system from another provider. So:

- connection got ordered with provider A and not completed because of silly reasons.
    - customer cancelled with provider A, but provider A didn't cancel upstream with OpenEIR.
    - customer ordered with provider B.
    - KN arrives at customer to provision connection for provider B, but can't because order from provider A still is open in OpenEIRs system.
    - OpenEIR cancels the order for provider B after engineer leaves site and leaves provider B and subsequently the customer to deal with getting the order from provider A removed of the system.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

We've been trying to order FTTH since last September.

We've had about 7 failed installs this year, all with the same error "No Light on DP".

While all of this was going on we had an issue with our copper line & an Eir engineer (not KN) was sent out to deal with it. When I told him about the difficulty we were having getting FTTH he told me that the fault hadn't been reported, if it had been, he would have gotten notice of it. He said it should be a simple issue to resolve since there are other customers connected to the other DP on the post, it was probably just a bad splice or a faulty DP. He said the only way to get Eir to fix it is to put pressure on them.

I've had no luck putting pressure on Eir & Digiweb haven't either.

Could anybody suggest how to get this resolved?

As an customer your options are limited but you could try sending an email to fibrepower@openeir.ie with the alphanumeric code that is on the distribution point (it is usually on a yellow sticker on the box).

Explain the issues you have had with ordering and mention the 7 ! failed attempts. It is quite possible they will ignore you but as I said your options are limited and it can't hurt.
    If that doesn't work you could also try Twitter. Keep harassing them (Openeir) publicly about seven failed installs and maybe they will be shamed into reacting.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Any hints to make the process go smoother? Any way to check my ducting in advance?

The rods as I said before but to be honest I'd leave it now as if it's blocked you're unlikely to get it fixed by Thursday. Just wait and hope it's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Thanks. I now see my Eircode is listed as live from 1/8. :D

However I'd be looking at adding the phone to a broadband package and I don't see any phone pricing on your website. As mobile calls are not in the phone package, how much will calling a mobile cost? Is there a connection charge for mobile calls? Do you bill per second or round to the nearest minute?

The rods as I said before but to be honest I'd leave it now as if it's blocked you're unlikely to get it fixed by Thursday. Just wait and hope it's clear.

Thanks.

My worry is that the ducting was broken a few years back by the guy who was digging up my garden. I got a fella out to repair it but I'm not sure exactly what shape he left the ducting in. I just know he got the line working again.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

MBSnr wrote: »
    Thanks. I now see my Eircode is listed as live from 1/8. :D

However I'd be looking at adding the phone to a broadband package and I don't see any phone pricing on your website. As mobile calls are not in the phone package, how much will calling a mobile cost? Is there a connection charge for mobile calls? Do you bill per second or round to the nearest minute?

Phone AddOn is 10 EUR/month with IRL/UK landline calls included.
    Setup fee 49 EUR (which covers the upgrade from a standard router to a VoIP capable router)
    Number porting for an Irish number is 15 EUR

There is some wiggle room on setup fees. Always worth talking with sales about it.

Billing is per second and there is no connection charge atm.

Irish and UK mobiles are 0.20 EUR/minute.

We're due to publish a full sheet with rates on the website in the next few days.

Phone AddOn is 10 EUR/month with IRL/UK landline calls included.
    Setup fee 49 EUR (which covers the upgrade from a standard router to a VoIP capable router)
    Number porting for an Irish number is 15 EUR

Billing is per second and there is no connection charge atm.

Irish and UK mobiles are 0.20 EUR/minute.

We're due to publish a full sheet with rates on the website in the next few days.

Out of interest do you offer unlimited calls for that €10? Is there any fair usage on the calls?

Out of interest do you offer unlimited calls for that €10? Is there any fair usage on the calls?

It's unlimited IRL/UK land line calls

But if a customer consistently exceeds 1000 minutes/month, we'll have to review the agreement and discuss an alternative plan with said customer.

We've only added VoIP recently, so a lot of the structures are still being reviewed to ensure, that it's viable for us to provide the service.

It's unlimited as such, but if a customer consistently exceeds 1000 minutes/month, we'll have to review the agreement and discuss an alternative plan with said customer.

We've only added VoIP recently, so a lot of the structures are still being reviewed to ensure, that it's viable for us to provide the service.

I was just asking because it's something that bugs me with other ISPs. Take eir for example. I'm on their "Broadband Talk Unlimited National, Mobile & UK". Sounds wonderful until you realise that if a call exceeds 60 minutes they start charging you at 33c per minute for mobile and 11c p/m for landline.

I don't think I've ever had an hour long call but there are others,who may or may not be female, in the house that regularly exceed 60 minutes. I know you can hang up and redial but why should you have to. It's either "unlimited" or it isn't. A bit like their caps I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

DrPhilG wrote: »

Prepare for no light at DP, numerous deadlines to fix and a concrete wall to bang your head against

It's unlimited IRL/UK land line calls

But if a customer consistently exceeds 1000 minutes/month, we'll have to review the agreement and discuss an alternative plan with said customer.

So you would drop the phone add on if that was the case, or increase the price for existing customers? Sounds a little concerning. I'm not sure of your meaning here.

I was just asking because it's something that bugs me with other ISPs. Take eir for example. I'm on their "Broadband Talk Unlimited National, Mobile & UK". Sounds wonderful until you realise that if a call exceeds 60 minutes they start charging you at 33c per minute for mobile and 11c p/m for landline.

I don't think I've ever had an hour long call but there are others,who may or may not be female, in the house that regularly exceed 60 minutes. I know you can hang up and redial but why should you have to. It's either "unlimited" or it isn't. A bit like their caps I suppose.

Three mobile tends to kill the call after 60 minutes. I'm not sure if that's intended.

But yes .. with everything unlimited, there are limits. If a product becomes unviable to provide because it costs the provider more than it brings in revenue, FUPs or limits come in place very quickly.

We generally put a clear limit on everything that we provide, so there are no surprises. The phone AddOn will probably also go that way, once we gauge the overall usage.

We will probably end up providing a package with a clear defined amount of minutes, but it will have land line and mobile minutes included at that point.

So you would drop the phone add on if that was the case, or increase the price for existing customers? Sounds a little concerning.

No. We will discuss with the customer at that point what the next step is. We can not be providing a product at a loss. It's just not going to happen.

Three mobile tends to kill the call after 60 minutes. I'm not sure if that's intended.

But yes .. with everything unlimited, there are limits. If a product becomes unviable to provide because it costs the provider more than it brings in revenue, FUPs or limits come in place very quickly.

We generally put a clear limit on everything that we provide, so there are no surprises. The phone AddOn will probably also go that way, once we gauge the overall usage.

We will probably end up providing a package with a clear defined amount of minutes, but it will have land line and mobile minutes included at that point.

eir actually do the same disconnect on their PAYG mobile plan if there is no credit in the account. I would not mind if they had an option in the account to forcefully disconnect after 60 minutes but they don't and then fleece you with extortionate per minute rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'll be sticking with my present VOIP provider whose call rates are a fraction of most broadband providers in Ireland.

That is the beauty of VOIP - you can use whatever provider you wish, or even a combination of providers for incoming and outgoing calls. ;)

• Advertisement

That is the beauty of VOIP - you can use whatever provider you wish, or even a combination of providers for incoming and outgoing calls. ;)

Correct. And you can even ask us for the upgraded VoIP capable router for the difference in cost of the router and then use the VoIP portion with another VoIP provider.

Correct. And you can even ask us for the upgraded VoIP capable router for the difference in cost of the router and then use the VoIP portion with another VoIP provider.

That is valuable information, and good to know, thank you.

It is not unknown for routers, supplied by broadband providers, to have that facility locked down to be only capable of using their own VOIP settings.

I'll be sticking with my present VOIP provider whose call rates are a fraction of most broadband providers in Ireland.

Can you provide details? Can you port your own number easily or do you have to go with a new number?

No. We will discuss with the customer at that point what the next step is. We can not be providing a product at a loss. It's just not going to happen.

Ok - I understand that and I realise that VoIP is a new product you are offering. However it's hard for a potential customer to make a 12 month commitment when it seems that some of the product offering is liable to be changed at any time, with "and there is no connection charge atm" being an example.

Perhaps by the 1st Aug things will be clearer...

Can you provide details? Can you port your own number easily or do you have to go with a new number?

You can port your existing number, by making arrangements with the new provider ..... provided you are not in contract. Do not cancel the existing service yourself as you will likely lose the number if you do. The new provider takes care of it.

For the most up-to-date information you could post in the VOIP section
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

Last time I looked goldfish.ie were top of the list, but that might easily have changed since then.
    http://www.goldfish.ie/86913/all/1/Transfer-my-number.aspx

You can port your existing number, by making arrangements with the new provider ..... provided you are not in contract. Do not cancel the existing service yourself as you will likely lose the number if you do. The new provider takes care of it.

For the most up-to-date information you could post in the VOIP section
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

Last time I looked goldfish.ie were top of the list, but that might easily have changed since then.

Who are you using?

Ok - I understand that and I realise that VoIP is a new product you are offering. However it's hard for a potential customer to make a 12 month commitment when it seems that some of the product offering is liable to be changed at any time, with "and there is no connection charge atm" being an example.

Perhaps by the 1st Aug things will be clearer...

We won't just be changing the pricing on existing customers, if it's negative for the customer. So a pricing change would always be voluntarily to the customer. That's just good business practice. We don't do staggered pricing on our broadband packages for the same reason.

So, if connection fees were to be introduced they would apply to new signups only.

But the fact of the product needing to be viable remains. So if the unlimited nature (within reason) of the product gets abused, then steps will have to be taken to bring it within reason.

Goldfish - Unlimited Ireland & UK landline calls + 200 Ireland mobile mins @ €39.99 per month.

LOL

The residential VoIP market is a joke.

Goldfish - Unlimited Ireland & UK landline calls + 200 Ireland mobile mins @ €39.99

LOL

The residential VoIP market is a joke.

And I seem to remember, that there is a 4000 minutes FUP with that, but can't find it now.

/M

• Advertisement

Prepare for no light at DP, numerous deadlines to fix and a concrete wall to bang your head against

Well I'm hoping that at least even if the DP isn't operational, he can check the ducting and give me a list of things to do before they return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement