Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Goldfish - Unlimited Ireland & UK landline calls + 200 Ireland mobile mins @ €39.99 per month.

LOL

The residential VoIP market is a joke.
    Marlow wrote: »
    And I seem to remember, that there is a 4000 minutes FUP with that, but can't find it now.

/M

Cheap enough to port a number to, as I recall.
    €5 per month to receive calls as I understand it.

Use a cheaper provider for outgoing calls .... such as freevoipdeal or one of the other similar services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Use a cheaper provider for outgoing calls .... such as freevoipdeal or one of the other similar services.

Couple good providers for outbound calls around. https://zadarma.com even lets you authorize a couple numbers so you can show the correct number.

Don't need to have the inbound with them.

Goldfish is alright .. but what's misleading is that some of the prices are ex. VAT, so a comparison can be skewed.

I wouldn't even worry about the porting fee .. unless you change providers constantly. Which in general is a bad plan.

/M

Couple good providers for outbound calls around. https://zadarma.com even lets you authorize a couple numbers so you can show the correct number.

Don't need to have the inbound with them.

Yes a huge number of providers available with different call 'plans' one of which should suit most people.
    I have a choice with freevoipdeal to use one of several numbers for CallerID or none
    Goldfish is alright .. but what's misleading is that some of the prices are ex. VAT, so a comparison can be skewed.

I wouldn't even worry about the porting fee .. unless you change providers constantly. Which in general is a bad plan.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What are the practicalities of having separate providers for incoming and outgoing? Do you have two separate phones or are you diverting the incoming calls?

What are the practicalities of having separate providers for incoming and outgoing? Do you have two separate phones or are you diverting the incoming calls?

Take the Fritz!Box VoIP routers. They will allow for multiple SIP providers (or phone numbers). The older ones can even handle inbound analogue or ISDN line and take phone calls from that.

There are a few VoIP providers around with fairly cheap call rates, but might not offer irish inbound numbers or can't port.

So you can do your own least cost routing. Plus you've always a backup plan, if outbound calls via one provider don't work.

Don't need to have more than one phone connected.

inbound calls via the provider, that you have your number ported to. Outbound via whatever provider is cheapest.

Or inbound via phone line / outbound via VoIP. In that case your phone line is free to receive a call, when you're already on an outbound call.

/M

• Advertisement

Take the Fritz!Box VoIP routers. They will allow for multiple SIP providers (or phone numbers). The older ones can even handle and inbound analogue or ISDN line and take phone calls from that.

There are a few VoIP providers around with fairly cheap call rates, but might not offer irish inbound numbers or can't port.

So you can do your own least cost routing. Plus you've always a backup plan, if outbound calls via one provider don't work.

Don't need to have more than one phone connected.

/M

I have a PAP-2T with two lines (RJ11). I don't think it can't do what you're saying.

Are you saying with the Fritz you can have a phone connected to Tel 1 or whatever it's called and then have two separate SIP registrations pointing to it?

I have a PAP-2T with two lines (RJ11). I don't think it can't do what you're saying.

Are you saying with the Fritz you can have a phone connected to Tel 1 or whatever it's called and then have two separate SIP registrations pointing to it?

Correct. If I recall correctly up to 12 external SIP accounts (lines/phonenumbers) are possible. And you can point each of them to one or multiple phones.

Fritz!Box has 2 analogue ports, a DECT basestation for up to 6 handsets and can do SIP for internal SIP devices.

It also has features to configure dialing rules for least cost routing etc.

/M

Correct. If I recall correctly up to 12 external SIP accounts are possible. And you can point each of them to one or multiple phones.

Fritz!Box has 2 analogue ports, a DECT basestation for up to 6 handsets and can do SIP for internal SIP devices.

It also has features to configure dialing rules for least cost routing etc.

/M

Thanks. I'll look into that so. I had tried, a few years ago, SipSorcery which was started by a former Blueface employee, to do something similar but I never stuck with it. I'm not even sure if it's still functional.

and If you get the top-end model (7490, 7590), you can even hang ISDN phones of it.

7590s are currently the only Fritz!Box, that supports supervectoring on 35b.

/M

My router can register 6 different VOIP connections, so I can have, for outgoing calls, several providers who might offer the cheapest rates to different locations.
    One I use for VOIP to VOIP and yet another is a dedicated point to point private connection.
    The router provides two 'telephone lines'. I can arrange different rings for different accounts and also choose which phone (or both) rings for each incoming call.

The call mapping determines which account is used for different outgoing calls.

It is all very flexible and easy manage via browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Been away for a few days and I have just come back to brown fields and fibre run around Cloghan Co. Offaly. Never thought we would see it. Yes it was promised but still doubted it would happen. A loop of coiled fibre on the pole outside my fence so it looks like a DP site right at the gate.
    ðŸ˜

5 EUR excl. VAT. So 6.15 EUR/month incl. VAT. And then add your call credit. That is, if you don't take a package with them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Just saw a DP up in a pole in ballyshannon, saw a load of cable hanging from the pole at the weekend. Weird they dont seem to have done the fibre anywhere else before they put up the DP

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Just saw a DP up in a pole in ballyshannon, saw a load of cable hanging from the pole at the weekend. Weird they dont seem to have done the fibre anywhere else before they put up the DP

Whereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

AidenL wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

Out the road past the gaa pitch. When youre coming from bundoran just after you go under the last bridge before the turn off at the mart. On the right hand side

I havent noticed anyother fibre work since they put the ducting in, seems weird theyd do one wee section with fibre and dp

Out the road past the gaa pitch. When youre coming from bundoran just after you go under the last bridge before the turn off at the mart. On the right hand side

I havent noticed anyother fibre work since they put the ducting in, seems weird theyd do one wee section with fibre and dp

Strange indeed! It’s been strangely quiet around here alright after all that activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Balls.

KN are here now, but the ducting at the house end is too deep down underground for him to find in order to put a rod through. He's not allowed to use the original line to pull it through.

Any suggestions?

He's up the pole checking the box now to see if it's even active. I'm just thinking, could he not push the rod through from the other side?

Never mind...

Bloody box isn't even live yet. I'll figure out a solution on the ducting end while Eir pull their fingers out and get it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Balls.

KN are here now, but the ducting at the house end is too deep down underground for him to find in order to put a rod through. He's not allowed to use the original line to pull it through.

Any suggestions?

He's up the pole checking the box now to see if it's even active. I'm just thinking, could he not push the rod through from the other side?

He should be able to push the rod through from the road. That's what the guy did for my install. I then drilled a hole in a floor board in the hall to get the fibre through. But that was nearly 3 months ago and the DP still isn't active. So no fibre for me yet. Sound like i'm not the only one with that issue from reading this thread.

He's gone now anyway, I asked about pushing the line through from the other end but he said he still wouldn't be able to find it on the house end as its too deep.

Maybe I'm just being thick but that doesn't make sense to me. Surely if he pushes it through from the road then it has to end up somewhere and it would eventually have to end up appearing in the cavity by the house where the old line is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's gone now anyway, I asked about pushing the line through from the other end but he said he still wouldn't be able to find it on the house end as its too deep.

Maybe I'm just being thick but that doesn't make sense to me. Surely if he pushes it through from the road then it has to end up somewhere and it would eventually have to end up appearing in the cavity by the house where the old line is?

Old line can twist and turn willy nilly, might run up between two blocks etc. The fibre can only turn slowly so may not be able to follow the same path.

Thanks.

I've got someone coming out next week to pull a line through for whenever the hell Eir get the line live. €180 for the privilege. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Thanks.

I've got someone coming out next week to pull a line through for whenever the hell Eir get the line live. €180 for the privilege. :(
    It well worth it being able download stuff fast and streaming on multiple devices hopefully you get sorted out soon.

ED E wrote: »
    Old line can twist and turn willy nilly, might run up between two blocks etc. The fibre can only turn slowly so may not be able to follow the same path.

The drop cable is bend insensitive so it can tolerate tougher installation methods up to a point.
    3M wrote:
    Macro bending loss at φ15mmxloop, λ=1550 nm≤0.5dB

rob808 wrote: »
    It well worth it being able download stuff fast and streaming on multiple devices hopefully you get sorted out soon.

Yeah exactly.

If this was for a minor upgrade I might be less inclined but this is to go 150mb from a 5mb line that usually peaks at 2!

Gone very quiet in here.

Still no progress in my area since April I think, ducts were run in, but not a peep since.

Is it just that it’s holiday time, or is there a general slow down on fiber laying nationwide?

Spoke with Eir yesterday, they said that my distribution point should be activated on August 5th.

On a side note, my poxy old 5mb broadband was giving me a 4.4mb download speed yesterday. 2.4 was a previous record high.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

I ordered the 1000mb product and got it installed about 2/3 months ago. The speed I’m getting is ****. The speed is up and down constantly and ranges from 150-450mb. I’m getting nowhere near the 1000mb. I’d expect to get between 800-900mb when you take everything in to account. Eir are saying it’s a problem between some of their exchanges that my traffic routes via but I’ve not seen any updates from them on when it will be fixed.

Very disappointed with the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

thehorse wrote: »
    Eir are saying it’s a problem between some of their exchanges that my traffic routes via but I’ve not seen any updates from them on when it will be fixed.

That's interesting. When I was reading your post first, I just thought you were testing over WiFi.

Keep us updated on the Eir infrastructure issue if you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

thehorse wrote: »
    I ordered the 1000mb product and got it installed about 2/3 months ago. The speed I’m getting is ****. The speed is up and down constantly and ranges from 150-450mb. I’m getting nowhere near the 1000mb. I’d expect to get between 800-900mb when you take everything in to account. Eir are saying it’s a problem between some of their exchanges that my traffic routes via but I’ve not seen any updates from them on when it will be fixed.

Very disappointed with the product.

I have the same problem and found Eir support useless.
    Expect to to told that the problem is your fault and move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement