Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have to give big props to Airwire for helping me finally get FTTH.

Long story short
    • House not on 300k because no Eircode but DP on road out front
    • Eir sign us up for phone & broadband promising FTTH upgrade as soon as Eircode assigned
    • Eircode assigned but Eir say no, can't add us, not possible to get fibre and impossible to be added to OpenEir database, various reasons given: wrong exchange, no adds due to Eir being bought out.
    • After arguing Eir agree to release us from our contract due to not holding up their end of the deal.
    • Email Open Eir (following advice on here). Acknowledgement of email but no further responses
    • After reading this thread contact Airwire and explain situation. They say they might be able to help. Place order with them on a Wednesday.
    • One week later call from Airwire to say we are added to OpenEir database and KN will be out the following Wednesday
    • One week later KN out at 11AM, installation finished around 1.30PM

So within 2 weeks of ordering I'm getting about 250mbps down (out of 300mbps but that's down to my hardware I think), a nice improvement on the average 1.5-3 that Eir were giving and adamant that they couldn't do better than.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

garroff wrote: »
    thehorse wrote: »
    I ordered the 1000mb product and got it installed about 2/3 months ago. The speed I’m getting is ****. The speed is up and down constantly and ranges from 150-450mb. I’m getting nowhere near the 1000mb. I’d expect to get between 800-900mb when you take everything in to account. Eir are saying it’s a problem between some of their exchanges that my traffic routes via but I’ve not seen any updates from them on when it will be fixed.

Very disappointed with the product.

I have the same problem and found Eir support useless.
    Expect to to told that the problem is your fault and move on.

I’m lucky that I kept pushing on it and threatened to cancel the contract. Speed tests should only be done via Ethernet cable with WiFi disabled on the modem.
    Eir sent some technicians to my house and they agreed it was a problem on their end but due to the fact that very few residential customers go for the 1000mb product, they had not seen many occurances of this type of issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Is there any chance of problems installing FTTH if the house is surrounded by tress?

Signed up with Eir yesterday on a 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Have to give big props to Airwire for helping me finally get FTTH.

Long story short
    • House not on 300k because no Eircode but DP on road out front
    • Eir sign us up for phone & broadband promising FTTH upgrade as soon as Eircode assigned
    • Eircode assigned but Eir say no, can't add us, not possible to get fibre and impossible to be added to OpenEir database, various reasons given: wrong exchange, no adds due to Eir being bought out.
    • After arguing Eir agree to release us from our contract due to not holding up their end of the deal.
    • Email Open Eir (following advice on here). Acknowledgement of email but no further responses
    • After reading this thread contact Airwire and explain situation. They say they might be able to help. Place order with them on a Wednesday.
    • One week later call from Airwire to say we are added to OpenEir database and KN will be out the following Wednesday
    • One week later KN out at 11AM, installation finished around 1.30PM

So within 2 weeks of ordering I'm getting about 250mbps down (out of 300mbps but that's down to my hardware I think), a nice improvement on the average 1.5-3 that Eir were giving and adamant that they couldn't do better than.

The reason is small ISP that wants your business Vs "computer says no" call centre at Eir.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

trixiebust wrote: »
    Is there any chance of problems installing FTTH if the house is surrounded by tress?

Only if it's an overhead drop. If you have ducting to the FTTH network, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

A big chunk has been released this week with nearly 17000 FTTH lines going live start of August.

Over 2000 of these are in Co. Galway (Cong, Oughterard, Corrandulla and Bernaderg areas).

A good few new areas in the midlands, like south of Ferbane and around Ballymahon.

Also, the first 40-50 premises south of Ballyshannon have turned up being ready to be ordered first week of August.

Kerry also sees about 2000 newly enabled premises, Wexford 2000, Waterford 1000, Cavan 1000 and Donegal another 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

A big chunk has been released this week with nearly 17000 FTTH lines going live start of August.

Over 2000 of these are in Co. Galway (Cong, Oughterard, Corrandulla and Bernaderg areas).

A good few new areas in the midlands, like south of Ferbane and around Ballymahon.

Also, the first 40-50 premises south of Ballyshannon have turned up being ready to be ordered first week of August.

Kerry also sees about 2000 newly enabled premises, Wexford 2000, Waterford 1000, Cavan 1000 and Donegal another 1100.

Any word on Ballinaboola in Wexford or do you not know of specific areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

thehorse wrote: »
    I’m lucky that I kept pushing on it and threatened to cancel the contract. Speed tests should only be done via Ethernet cable with WiFi disabled on the modem.
    Eir sent some technicians to my house and they agreed it was a problem on their end but due to the fact that very few residential customers go for the 1000mb product, they had not seen many occurances of this type of issue

When you say technicians were they KN guys who do installs or someone else? What testing did they do? Did they have equipment for testing?

correction wrote: »
    Any word on Ballinaboola in Wexford or do you not know of specific areas?

There are just over 50 premises enabled west of Ballinaboola, but nothing recently.

We can only go by the weekly updates we get and listing every area would be too much. So your best bet is our online product check. And patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Great to see some progress in Ballyshannon - I'm sure they will get to other areas of the town in due course.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The reason is small ISP that wants your business Vs "computer says no" call centre at Eir.

Thats why I'm going with Airwire when Im able to order.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Only if it's an overhead drop. If you have ducting to the FTTH network, no problem.

I don't know what that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If you have a current copper phone line how does the cable come into your home?

Overhead - the cable come from a pole at your entrance and is attached to your house at the gable or the chimney sometimes.

Ducted - the cable comes in underground in piping under your driveway or lawn.

Trees will likely cause an issue for overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If your house is within 50m of the nearest pole, you can choose to get the fiber brought in overhead. The same as overhead lines.

In some cases, this is the only option.

If your house is surrounded by trees and the fiber is brought in overhead, then that is a problem. A 1m clearance around the path where the fiber is going to the house would have to be cleared.

If your fiber is brought underground in a duct from manhole or pole to your house, then this is not an issue.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

6th August given as the date which premises go live in Bweeng village in north Cork... amazing to think that after 25 years plus of internet connectivity in towns and cities that the village will finally in 2018 get a broadband connection.

Unfortunately we are just outside the Eir FTTH area but progress has been made finally in this little area of rural Ireland.

Out the road past the gaa pitch. When youre coming from bundoran just after you go under the last bridge before the turn off at the mart. On the right hand side

I havent noticed anyother fibre work since they put the ducting in, seems weird theyd do one wee section with fibre and dp

And now going live in August as MartinL said.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

AidenL wrote: »
    And now going live in August as MartinL said.

Yeh good stuff. Still seems odd to do one side but hopefully we get sorted soon

Yeh good stuff. Still seems odd to do one side but hopefully we get sorted soon

It goes online in stages.

/M

If you have a current copper phone line how does the cable come into your home?

Overhead - the cable come from a pole at your entrance and is attached to your house at the gable or the chimney sometimes.

Ducted - the cable comes in underground in piping under your driveway or lawn.

Trees will likely cause an issue for overhead.

It's overhead AFAIK. The trees are pretty overgrown too - almost surrounding the pole....

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    It goes online in stages.

/M

They seem to have cabled and about to make live only one area of the town, they haven’t event started cabling in other areas, ducts only, no fibre. Is that usual?

They seem to have cabled and about to make live only one area of the town, they haven’t event started cabling in other areas, ducts only, no fibre. Is that usual?

Hard to know. People from Donegal should actually know :)

Fun fact: Donegal is the county with the most OpenEIR FTTH passed premises in Ireland ... over 26000.

To compare: in Westmeath only just over 4700 premises were passed so far.

/M

If your house is within 50m of the nearest pole, you can choose to get the fiber brought in overhead. The same as overhead lines.

In some cases, this is the only option.

If your house is surrounded by trees and the fiber is brought in overhead, then that is a problem. A 1m clearance around the path where the fiber is going to the house would have to be cleared.

If your fiber is brought underground in a duct from manhole or pole to your house, then this is not an issue.

/M

Thanks for that. I'll find out next Monday, just got my confirmation there about installation. If I understand you right, I'd say there's no chance.

Well,we have zero Km of motorway, so maybe this is compensation! :D

Hard to know. People from Donegal should actually know :)

Fun fact: Donegal is the county with the most OpenEIR FTTH passed premises in Ireland ... over 26000.

To compare: in Westmeath only just over 4700 premises were passed so far.

/M

If I understand you right, I'd say there's no chance.

You look at that wrong :) ... you have to be creative. If your house is surrounded by trees and it normally would be overhead, you can lay hydrodare just under the ground before the installer arrives. Put a pull wire/rope in that.

One place, that I've been at, had a row of trees, with a wall behind that, between the house and the pole where the fiber was.

So to not have to cut the trees, hydrodare was put in place from the pole on the ground behind the wall, but under the trees and all the way to the house. Then brought up to the gable.

KN had no problems using that to pull the fiber in.

/M

Well,we have zero Km of motorway, so maybe this is compensation! :D

That bypass at Bundoran qualifies as motorway. Just the Garda don't agree with that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi there, I just have a quick question for you. Right now I'm on 9mbs, I'm on the rural route supposedly for the second half of this year but I have very little faith in it to be honest. No work at all happening around here.

Anyway I went on the airwire site and entered my eircode, it say's I'm available for fixed wireless upto 20mbs. The small print says it could be from 6-20mbs. Right now I'm on 9mbs and struggling with the kids and myself using the internet. Is there anyway you could tell me what speeds I could be getting judging by my eircode etc.. ? Or would I have to get it installed first ?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyway I went on the airwire site and entered my eircode, it say's I'm available for fixed wireless upto 20mbs. The small print says it could be from 6-20mbs. Right now I'm on 9mbs and struggling with the kids and myself using the internet. Is there anyway you could tell me what speeds I could be getting judging by my eircode etc.. ? Or would I have to get it installed first ?

Cheers

I'd say wireless will be based on line of sight so there is no way of knowing for sure.

It's depending on line-of-sight, distance to the repeater, bandwidth available on said repeater.

Generally, if you would order the product, an installer would go out, test the signal and if successful install you there and then. We will know precisely on the day, what the connection is capable of.

Also, if and so well, you can always upgrade to another product even while you're in contract. So for example move from FWA to Jet, when that becomes available or to FTTH.

If you drop me a PM with your eircode, it'll be possible to do a desktop survey, that gives us a fair idea without having to send an engineer. Don't expect an answer before the morning though, as I'm going off shift now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My brother just got 300mbs fibre in. Just done a speed check on wifi on my phone beside the router and I only got 185. Any suggestions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement