Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AidenL wrote: »
    I’ll get it cut then just in case.

I have no other obvious route to where the master socket is. Wouldn’t all overheads end up in an attic though?

No they would usually route the cable on the exterior of the house then drill a hole where the cable is to enter.

In saying that my install was overhead and the guy fed the cable through a duct in my roof. I brought it through the attic (only about 1M) and down through a pre-drilled hole in the ceiling. My guy was nice and helpful. Yours may or may not be. The less work they have to do the more likely they are to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

fritzelly wrote: »
    Probably best - as Navi said you could get an awkward tech who just says no

Overheads go to the gable and then down. Some guys have got the tech to feed it thru existing ducting in the attic which then leads down to somewhere else - that is not an hassle as he is just pushing the cable thru

You need to think about where to have it placed that you can join it up to your master socket

The gable end I’d be proposing is about 10m brought open floored attic from where the master socket is, at the top of the stairs.

Would it not be possible for him to feed it in to me and I pull it to the socket, even if not in a duct in the attic? Or is that not him installing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sorry I thought you meant get him to install everything in the attic?

Not sure that would work as they are supposed to provide an end to end install

No they would usually route the cable on the exterior of the house then drill a hole where the cable is to enter.

In saying that my install was overhead and the guy fed the cable through a duct in my roof. I brought it through the attic (only about 1M) and down through a pre-drilled hole in the ceiling. My guy was nice and helpful. Yours may or may not be. The less work they have to do the more likely they are to help you.

Luck of the draw! I’d be happy to do all his work for him!

Fingers crossed I’d get a good one.

Does the same person survey and install? Is it always two visits?

Sorry I thought you meant get him to install everything in the attic?
    No, the master sockets in the house. But I’d have to get from the gable wall through the attic to it.

• Advertisement

Luck of the draw! I’d be happy to do all his work for him!

Fingers crossed I’d get a good one.

Does the same person survey and install? Is it always two visits?

Mine was one visit. If they can install on the first they will AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Hi all, I've noticed a lot of work going on lately around me here in west Wicklow on the telegraph poles. Took a picture. Are they bringing fibre out to the homes along here? I know the exchange in our village had fibre brought to it last year. Thanks.

No, the master sockets in the house. But I’d have to get from the gable wall through the attic to it.

Just don't call it an attic when talking to him! I thought you meant install all the equipment in the "attic" as well. Hopefully he goes for what you propose.

Would it not be possible for him to feed it in to me and I pull it to the socket, even if not in a duct in the attic? Or is that not him installing it?

If he can feed it into you in the attic and you feed back down into the house for him you should be ok
    Wouldn't be too sure about unducted or unsecured cabling - maybe navi knows but I would say no.

Just don't call it an attic when talking to him! I thought you meant install all the equipment in the "attic" as well. Hopefully he goes for what you propose.
    My upstairs storage area beside my landing then! :D

• Advertisement

Hi all, I've noticed a lot of work going on lately around me here in west Wicklow on the telegraph poles. Took a picture. Are they bringing fibre out to the homes along here? I know the exchange in our village had fibre brought to it last year. Thanks.

Yes it looks like it. That is the ducting that they blow the fibre through. You can check their plans on:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

If he can feed it into you in the attic and you feed back down into the house for him you should be ok
    Wouldn't be too sure about unducted or unsecured cabling - maybe navi knows but I would say no.

I could run 32mm waste pipe end to end, that would protect it

May be overkill but I would not want it left lying on the floor where it would be walked on or bent unnecessarily. The cable is only 5 x 3 mm.

May be overkill but I would not want it left lying on the floor where it would be walked on or bent unnecessarily. The cable is only 5 x 3 mm.

20mm would do then, even cheaper. I’m in plumbing sales, I get it cheap!

Or plain electrical conduit I guess.

I would spend a few euro and get proper ducting tacked to the wall - ducting is cheap enough and less risk of accidents in the future (and you know they will say to you you broke it you pay for it)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

The attic may be dodgy also. It's likely they'll refuse to enter it though as it has a floor it may not be such an issue. It could depend on who you get as to how accommodating they will be. Maybe have a back up plan to route the cable if he starts complaining.

We raised the attic issue with OpenEIR during a meeting.

Basically, this is the way you're guaranteed to get an installer to install it through your attic:

- you pre-drill the hole outside
    - you run a duct/hydrodare, whatever to the other end where it exits the attic
    - you install a draw-string/draw-rope

This is an acceptable way to get around the issue with the attic in OpenEIRs opinion.

The installer is not allowed to enter the attic. The installer has to install the fiber end-to-end. Those are 2 facts, that can't be negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

If I had a hole drilled, would they let me pull it through the attic myself though and leave it where my router is?
    Probably best - as Navi said you could get an awkward tech who just says no

Overheads go to the gable and then down. Some guys have got the tech to feed it thru existing ducting in the attic which then leads down to somewhere else - that is not an hassle as he is just pushing the cable thru

You need to think about where to have it placed that you can join it up to your master socket

Personally I wouldn't want something in an inaccessible place that is constantly on - just needs to overheat slightly...

Wouldn't be too sure about unducted or unsecured cabling - maybe Dominique Loud Waistband knows but I would say no.
    We raised the attic issue with OpenEIR during a meeting.

Basically, this is the way you're guaranteed to get an installer to install it through your attic:

- you pre-drill the hole outside
    - you run a duct/hydrodare, whatever to the other end where it exits the attic
    - you install a draw-string/draw-rope

This is an acceptable way to get around the issue with the attic in OpenEIRs opinion.

The installer is not allowed to enter the attic. The installer has to install the fiber end-to-end. Those are 2 facts, that can't be negotiated.

I got mine installed in May , with the fibre pulled through the attic ( no ducting ).

I got the installer to feed the fibre through a pre-drilled hole by the hall door up in to the attic .

We discussed installation options before he started and I said I'd do the attic part of the install ( pulling the cable )

The installer ran the fibre from the DP to the pole outside my house and from there he fed it under the eaves at the hall door into the attic (I had a hole already drilled )

I pulled it across the attic (carefully) and fed it back down to him in the corner of the room where the router / network switches and pc are installed .

( It's an older bungalow and I have surface mounted trunking with a load of CAT5e cables in it )

I asked him what would happen if I hadn't got the hole for the fibre ready and I wasn't there to help .

He said that he would probably have drilled through the external wall and fed the fibre through .

I suppose it depends on the installer , what you have in mind and how practical it is to accommodate you , and how much you're willing to help .

Just don't demand and say "I want x,y,and z done with the install "
    Ask nicely if x,y and z is possible , and go from there :)

I was lucky , the installer was sound :)

Most of the guys are sound and will try their best to accommodate you - you will hear many a story about how lovely the tech guy was and went thru everything with them and said this and that, and then there are some horror stories like he couldn't wait to get away from the place.
    Moral of the story - the easier the install the more likely it will happen
    They are "paid" per job so the easier the install is the better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Yes it looks like it. That is the ducting that they blow the fibre through. You can check their plans on:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

How often is that map updated?
    It is nearly 2 months since the last update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Try the eircode lookup seems to be updated more than the map.

• Advertisement

The best update is using your eyes as to what is happening around you and chatting with the guys if you catch them in your area

fibrerollout.ie is woefully out of date and always will be but is a good indicator of if you are on the rollout or could be added.

It's been every two months for the past while. It is not to be relied upon for finding out if you are live. As Calhoun says the ISP checkers are more up to date.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

https://www.airwire.ie/avail

It's been every two months for the past while. It is not to be relied upon for finding out if you are live. As Calhoun says the ISP checkers are more up to date.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Wouldn't be too reliant on that either
    This area - massive development (cant see it on the map but 100+ houses that have infrastructure in place for a good while but problems with patching in the exchange)
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0872078,-6.1194783,671m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-GB

Been waiting on fibre to go live for a year now (if not longer) - finally started to get connected now.

Quite a few place like this around the country (Midleton in Cork for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not officially...

The guy who came to do my install (but couldn't as the DP wasn't live) said he had no problem taking an overhead line through my attic. That was if I went with an overhead line. In the end I decided to pay for my ducting to be cleared so it didn't matter.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not officially...

The guy who came to do my install (but couldn't as the DP wasn't live) said he had no problem taking an overhead line through my attic. That was if I went with an overhead line. In the end I decided to pay for my ducting to be cleared so it didn't matter.

Did he say that before he found out the DP wasn't live or after - because generally they check the DP is live first

Which reminds me and don't think I've mentioned it before/has been mentioned but KNN are doing ducting unblocking/replacing on your property for a price. Been running as a trial for a few months (did do a trial previously but stopped it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Did he say that before he found out the DP wasn't live or after - because generally they check the DP is live first

Before. We were discussing options for line installation which weren't going well because he was struggling to locate the house end of the ducting.

He suggested an overhead line which I wasn't keen on so I was trying to call my friend who I thought might have fibre optic rods to help find the duct end. While I was making that call he went to check the DP and then reported back that it was not live.

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I got mine installed in May , with the fibre pulled through the attic ( no ducting ).

I got the installer to feed the fibre through a pre-drilled hole by the hall door up in to the attic .

We discussed installation options before he started and I said I'd do the attic part of the install ( pulling the cable )
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not officially...

Here is the issue: for health and safety reasons they're not allowed in the attic. If the installer does it, it's on his own accord.

The problem you are facing: if there ever is an issue with the fiber, the next installer may refuse to fix your issue because it's ran that way through your attic. You would have end up with a non-servicable fiber drop.

That's why following the suggestions that are universally servicable are a good idea. Everything else is extremely short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

The best update is using your eyes as to what is happening around you and chatting with the guys if you catch them in your area

fibrerollout.ie is woefully out of date and always will be but is a good indicator of if you are on the rollout or could be added.

Thanks. The wiring was put on the pole outside my house a month ago, but nothing has happened since. On the airwire site, it says available soon, so will need to be patient...

Thanks. The wiring was put on the pole outside my house a month ago, but nothing has happened since. On the airwire site, it says available soon, so will need to be patient...

If it says "Available soon" on our checker, that means your premise has been indexed for FTTH by OpenEIR.

We see premises typically go live 1-3 months after they get indexed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If you want to move down from 300mb package to 150mb within first two weeks of getting fibre in, is it a big deal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement