Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pangea wrote: »
    If you want to move down from 300mb package to 150mb within first two weeks of getting fibre in, is it a big deal?

Which provider ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Marlow wrote: »
    Which provider ?

/M

Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You have 14 days to change your mind from activating and requires a few clicks on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

Gonzo wrote: »
    I heard that is going to be a new footpath both sides of the road. They are building a new Lidl and several shops near that location and want it to become more of a 'town center'.

I've been told that Virgin laid much of their fibre in the weeks leading up to the Beast From The East during February and March. Virgin are very tight lipped on when a service will start at Dunshaughlin.

Still no signs of any Siro work taking place.
    Last week (2-6 July)I met a man from the ESB going round with a big map. I asked him what it was all about and he told me he was going round checking the poles to make ready for SIRO, this was at the entrance to Ardlea and he was walking the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Yes they are separate teams. You should start to see poles being sprayed with "L" in the next while. This will signify where the distribution points will be placed. Then the fibre will be deployed leaving coils of cable on the "L" poles. Finally the distribution boxes will be fitted.

Interestingly, today, I see there’s “L” marked on the pole at my gateway, and it wasn’t there on Saturday morning.

Seems there’s work going on at the weekend also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My Brother FTTH entry point and modem is in the bedroom at the gable of his house, the problem is the other end of the house has little or no signal.
    Any suggestions as to what to do, are wifi plug extenders any good?

Also He is paying for 300mbps package, he's getting about 50 in the sitting room via wifi, out of curiosity if he was to downgrade to 150mbps would the speed be even lower in the sitting room then?

Also He is paying for 300mbps package, he's getting about 50 in the sitting room via wifi, out of curiosity if he was to downgrade to 150mbps would the speed be even lower in the sitting room then?

No. The speed would be the same. The limiting factor there is the wireless, not the broadband or the fiber.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My Brother FTTH entry point and modem is in the bedroom at the gable of his house, the problem is the other end of the house has little or no signal.
    Any suggestions as to what to do, are wifi plug extenders any good?

Homeplugs.

No change. Operates at the slowest links speed (in this case wifi). 150 is the sensible option for such a user.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommyboy87

My house is showing as not available for FTTH but my neighbour is showing as going live the 8th of August. Originally my house wasn't included in the rollout but when they put up the fiber, it is passing my house and continued about 500 meters down the road. 
    Is there someone I should contact about this to see why my eircode isn't showing?

• Advertisement

Tommyboy87 wrote: »
    My house is showing as not available for FTTH but my neighbour is showing as going live the 8th of August. Originally my house wasn't included in the rollout but when they put up the fiber, it is passing my house and continued about 500 meters down the road.
    Is there someone I should contact about this to see why my eircode isn't showing?

If you're in the middle of a rollout or it looks like that your house should be enabled, you can always contact our sales team (sales@airwire.ie or 091-395 000) with as much information as possible.

We will try to get you a connection then.

I’ll be on to you this afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Airwire is saying available 15/08/2018 for my address, what does it come up with your eircode?

Youve been included have you? Would have been insane to put the DP outside your lane and skip you lol

Weird question, if there was a power cut (say town wide including the exchange and your own house), if you could power the ONT and the router from a battery would FTTH still work?

I know the exchanges have backups to keep the phone lines live, would the same apply for FTTH? Is everything passive from the exchange out?

Weird question, if there was a power cut (say town wide including the exchange and your own house), if you could power the ONT and the router from a battery would FTTH still work?

I know the exchanges have backups to keep the phone lines live, would the same apply for FTTH? Is everything passive from the exchange out?

In theory: YES.

I've build battery backups for FTTH ONTs without problems. You need a DC-DC PSU that outputs balanced 12V, minimum 1A. Input could be anything (12V, 24V, 48V, whatever you have). If you scale the PSU a bit bigger (Fritz!Box needs 12V 2-3A, haven't checked the Huawei router, but I can do that when I'm home later on today) then it should also be able to feed the router.

The gear in the exchange should have battery and generator backup alright.

/M

I’d have been depressed! Yep, green here!
    Youve been included have you? Would have been insane to put the DP outside your lane and skip you lol

In theory: YES.

I've build battery backups for FTTH ONTs without problems. You need a DC-DC PSU that outputs balanced 12V, minimum 1A. Input could be anything (12V, 24V, 48V, whatever you have). If you scale the PSU a bit bigger (Fritz!Box needs 12V 2-3A, haven't checked the Huawei router, but I can do that when I'm home later on today) then it should also be able to feed the router.

The gear in the exchange should have battery and generator backup alright.

/M

Was thinking of a car jump starter battery with the cigarette lighter output and a male 12v dc lead with cigarette socket attachment.

Think there's one lying around the shed

Just checked my netgear and it needs 3.5amps but even then thats probably peak.

Was thinking of a car jump starter battery with the cigarette lighter output and a male 12v dc lead with cigarette socket attachment.

Think there's one lying around the shed

Just checked my netgear and it needs 3.5amps but even then thats probably peak.

The problem is, that while some gear might take a wide range of voltage, others don't.

Huawei 3G/4G routers for example just go up in smoke, if you don't give them exactly 12V. (Trust me .. I tried that :) ).

So a balanced DC-DC PSU is a good plan.

/M

AidenL wrote: »

It was always green. It's a different kind of green now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I remember you posting images of the NBP map with you and many of your neighbours not due to be passed. I've just roughly checked and at least 17 homes, including yours, will be passed that are not due on the NBP map.

• Advertisement

The problem is, that while some gear might take a wide range of voltage, others don't.

Huawei 3G/4G routers for example just go up in smoke, if you don't give them exactly 12V. (Trust me .. I tried that :) ).

/M

Ah fair enough I guess the plug in PSU is really accurate and they are built with lower tolerances.

Food for thought though thanks

I remember you posting images of the NBP map with you and many of your neighbours not due to be passed. I've just roughly checked and at least 17 homes, including yours, will be passed that are not due on the NBP map.

Im up the road from Aiden, I had seen loops up on poles closer to town and was wondering would they be included, just checked and they are available on the airwire checker even though they are in the green area on eirs maps

Good to see they are including more than on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Work at DP marked as completed. New install date 25th. Fingers crossed.

Noticed fibre running towards Ballycahill village from Thurles (further than planned) yet stops just right outside the village.

Future expansion planned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Im up the road from Aiden, I had seen loops up on poles closer to town and was wondering would they be included, just checked and they are available on the airwire checker even though they are in the green area on eirs maps

Good to see they are including more than on the map

A lot, maybe all, of them never should have been green. They are getting way below 30Mb I believe. As you say it's good that they'll be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

/M

Slightly off topic but I picked up a cheap (€5) Huawei fixed cellular phone without an adapter. 5v and wouldn't take any more or less. Had to solder one together from an old 5v clippers adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I had such an outage a few weeks ago - I had my ONT, router and WiFi AP on a desktop APC UPS and internet connectivity was fine

So, do any of us really need 1000 down?

Is there a benefit, can it be used by two people or is the 300 package plenty?

I’m happy to be across the line.

A lot, maybe all, of them never should have been green. They are getting way below 30Mb I believe. As you say it's good that they'll be covered.

I've counted 16 premises on that road, that are now enabled and were down as VDSL. Some of the VDSL designated areas don't make any sense, so it's good, they've adjusted their plans.

And yes, speeds on these would have been in the 7-18 Mbit/s bracket on VDSL.
    So, do any of us really need 1000 down?

Is there a benefit, can it be used by two people or is the 300 package plenty?

The reason some people take the 1000 Mbit/s package is the 100 Mbit/s upload. It really depends on what you're going to do.

150 Mbit/s is 30 Mbit/s up.
    300 Mbit/s is 50 Mbit/s up.
    1000 Mbit/s is 100 Mbit/s up.

At least on OpenEIRs rollout.

Very few will actually need or have the hardware to archieve 1000 Mbit/s download on a single PC. And it won't happen on wireless, unless you have a 60 GHz setup. With a large family or multiple occupants in a home, that's obviously a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've said this before but to repeat:

If you need more than 150Mb you'll already know that without asking. Those who have to ask - don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement