Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I've counted 16 premises on that road, that are now enabled and were down as VDSL. Some of the VDSL designated areas don't make any sense, so it's good, they've adjusted their plans.

And yes, speeds on these would have been in the 7-18 Mbit/s bracket on VDSL.

The reason some people take the 1000 Mbit/s package is the 100 Mbit/s upload. It really depends on what you're going to do.

150 Mbit/s is 30 Mbit/s up.
    300 Mbit/s is 50 Mbit/s up.
    1000 Mbit/s is 100 Mbit/s up.

At least on OpenEIRs rollout.

Very few will actually need or have the hardware to archieve 1000 Mbit/s download on a single PC. And it won't happen on wireless, unless you have a 60 GHz setup. With a large family or multiple occupants in a home, that's obviously a different story.

Theres a fair bit of filling in happening there, and all those houses, or most anyway, were marked as amber for the NBP.

So I ordered the 300Mbit package from Tommy in Airwire as I was driving home.

The biggest issue I have with uploads is when I take a lot of photos or videos when on holiday - I literally couldn't upload anything with my 0.56 upload. I had to wait to go to my sister in laws house in Kildare to avail of their fibre.

I think I have the kit, my switch is Gigabit compatible, and my iMac is also apparently, its wired. Nevertheless, I don't need it, and if I feel I ever do, its only a phone call away.

Hard to believe the uncertainty is over, 6 months ago, I was sure it would be years away for us.

Only spanner in the works, I'm still in contract with Air till 16th December....

A lot, maybe all, of them never should have been green. They are getting way below 30Mb I believe. As you say it's good that they'll be covered.

I was getting 7 down, and 0.56 up. Still am.....but not for long :)

Weird question, if there was a power cut (say town wide including the exchange and your own house), if you could power the ONT and the router from a battery would FTTH still work?

I know the exchanges have backups to keep the phone lines live, would the same apply for FTTH? Is everything passive from the exchange out?
    You must be thinking you won't miss Wimbledon or the World Cup Final ever again after our power outage last Sunday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

AidenL wrote: »
    You must be thinking you won't miss Wimbledon or the World Cup Final ever again after our power outage last Sunday? :D

more annoyed i missed kerry playing crap!

So theres a problem i thought i was gonna have that i was kind of ignoring. it looks like my phone line is plastered into the wall and into the phone socket.

I chipped back abit of the plaster under the socket and cant see a duct, just the phone line running from the plaster into the socket\box

Is that common? I guess thats a big no no for an underground install.

Would the duct be in the wall behind the skirting board or under the floor or stop mid way up the wall?

My duct goes from a plastic box infront of my neighbours garden and i assume through their garden but ive no idea

House built around 1999 and no outside box

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would the duct be in the wall behind the skirting board or under the floor or stop mid way up the wall?

Could be anywhere and it will be up to you to locate it (wouldn't be surprised if it's cemented over in the floor), can't rely on an overhead solution

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Could be anywhere and it will be up to you to locate it (wouldn't be surprised if it's cemented over in the floor), can't rely on an overhead solution

Would it be unlikely that its close to the socket?

more annoyed i missed kerry playing crap!

So theres a problem i thought i was gonna have that i was kind of ignoring. it looks like my phone line is plastered into the wall and into the phone socket.

I chipped back abit of the plaster under the socket and cant see a duct, just the phone line running from the plaster into the socket\box

Is that common? I guess thats a big no no for an underground install.

My duct goes from a plastic box infront of my neighbours garden and i assume through their garden but ive no idea

House built around 1999 and no outside box

I have a similar situation. Manhole at back door, line comes in , two right angles and then fed up to the top of my landing where master box is.

No way will I get a draw wire in there. So I was going to run with an overhead to my gable wall, from a pole about 15m away.

As Martin detailed, I'll be installing a duct in attic, with a draw wire and will have a hole pre drilled.

So is it not possible to elect for an overhead?

Would it be unlikely that its close to the socket?

Close is objective, people have had to pull up the floor near the socket to get access to the duct

KNN will install new ducting for €363.20 based on certain conditions

I have a similar situation. Manhole at back door, line comes in , two right angles and then fed up to the top of my landing where master box is.

No way will I get a draw wire in there. So I was going to run with an overhead to my gable wall, from a pole about 15m away.

As Martin detailed, I'll be installing a duct in attic, with a draw wire and will have a hole pre drilled.

So is it not possible to elect for an overhead?

If pole is there then it's more likely possible - where is the current fibre?

Dont think i could even get an overhead install without a new pole, dont know who owns the land infront of the house and more important dont think the other half would be impressed.

Guess ill have to take off the skirting board and hope i can find the duct or im boned. Cant really go taking up the wooden floors

Would kn install an new entry aswell though?

• Advertisement

Dont think i could even get an overhead install without a new pole, dont know who owns the land infront of the house and more important dont think the other half would be impressed.

Guess ill have to take off the skirting board and hope i can find the duct or im boned. Cant really go taking up the wooden floors

Metal detector could help

If pole is there then it's more likely possible - where is the current fibre?

Yeah I have a pole beside and behind the house.

Are they happy to go into a lawn? How do they string pole to pole where they are in a lawned area?

See, just when we finally know we are getting fibre, a whole new set of problems arise !

Yeah I have a pole beside and behind the house.

Are they happy to go into a lawn? How do they string pole to pole where they are in a lawned area?

Why would you go underground if the pole is close to the house? Am I missing something?
    Is the DP on the pole?

Why would you go underground if the pole is close to the house? Am I missing something?
    Is the DP on the pole?

Currently, my phone line comes in underground, but theres a few twists and turns, so it will be hard to preinstall a draw wire to the top of my landing , where the master socket is.

I thought it would be handier to go overhead, straight in, simpler.

The DP is (will be) on a pole at my gate. Then the phone line goes up to a pole which is about 20 feet higher up, as the house is elevated, and then it goes back underground to a pole near my back door, and underground from that pole again to the manhole at my back door, which emerges inside at the back door and then runs upstairs.

Currently, my phone line comes in underground, but theres a few twists and turns, so it will be hard to preinstall a draw wire to the top of my landing , where the master socket is.

The DP is (will be) on a pole at my gate. Then the phone line goes up to a pole which is about 20 feet higher up, as the house is elevated, and then it goes back underground to a pole near my back door, and underground from that pole again to the manhole at my back door, which emerges inside at the back door and then runs upstairs.

Geez, looks like a problem waiting to happen
    Sounds like it would be just simpler to string it overhead all the way to your gable.

Will there be a possibility of calls to the US being included, as well as Irish mobiles?
    Three mobile tends to kill the call after 60 minutes. I'm not sure if that's intended.

But yes .. with everything unlimited, there are limits. If a product becomes unviable to provide because it costs the provider more than it brings in revenue, FUPs or limits come in place very quickly.

We generally put a clear limit on everything that we provide, so there are no surprises. The phone AddOn will probably also go that way, once we gauge the overall usage.

We will probably end up providing a package with a clear defined amount of minutes, but it will have land line and mobile minutes included at that point.

Geez, looks like a problem waiting to happen
    Sounds like it would be just simpler to string it overhead all the way to your gable.
    Yep, if they will go into my lawn to do that. I presume they would?

Yep, if they will go into my lawn to do that. I presume they would?

If they can get it thru the ducting should be no problem

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Will there be a possibility of calls to the US being included, as well as Irish mobiles?

We are currently looking at including US calls, seeing that a lot in Ireland have ties in the US. Mobiles not so sure yet.

• Advertisement

We are currently looking at including US calls, seeing that a lot in Ireland have ties in the US. Mobiles not so sure yet.

Good stuff, I'd live with the US calls, mobiles are included in our mobile deals anyway mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

My situation was similar to yours except I was planning to put in a new duct but it turned out to be too complicated. So, the cable went overhead to my chimney (which is accessible without touching the roof). The pole is right at the gate so the cable runs up along the driveway and is so thin, you'd hardly notice it.

plodder wrote: »
    My situation was similar to yours except I was planning to put in a new duct but it turned out to be too complicated. So, the cable went overhead to my chimney (which is accessible without touching the roof). The pole is right at the gate so the cable runs up along the driveway and is so thin, you'd hardly notice it.
    Decided I’ll go with an overhead too, should be way simpler, and it’s away at the side table furthest away from the entrance and living areas.

Will have a duct and drawstring through the attic back into the living space. Should be no cause for complaint, I hope!

Im going to go digging at the wall under the phone socket in the hope that the duct is plastered into the wall, failing that Im going to pry off the skirting board and hope that its where the wall meets the floor. I cant be taking up the floor to find it.

If all that fails I think Ill have to just get a new duct installed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Im going to go digging at the wall under the phone socket in the hope that the duct is plastered into the wall, failing that Im going to pry off the skirting board and hope that its where the wall meets the floor. I cant be taking up the floor to find it.

If all that fails I think Ill have to just get a new duct installed or something.

I would imagine that taking up part of the floor and refitting it would be less costly and disruptive than a new duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Quick question. When you order FTTH does the installer bring the router to your house or is it shipped separately? Just wondering how that works as there are multiple suppliers and does each just send a device to KN for the install that day?

I would imagine that taking up part of the floor and refitting it would be less costly and disruptive than a new duct.

Normally Id agree but earlier in the year we had the floors sanded and a big job done replacing the area right where the duct probably is in the front hall and it was a huge headache. The skirting boards are really stuck to the wall and it ruined the finish on some places where they arent visible but this is the front hall.

So Id rather just pay to have a duct brought in one of the spare bedrooms and not have to deal with digging up the hall.

Or if I can find the duct Id nearly do it myself. Do they run rods from inside the house or from the pole/box up? If I could find the duct I could put a Y on it but only if they feed the rod from the house

Is it a fools errand hoping that the duct terminates in the wall or at floor level? Its a concrete floor right under the wooden floor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MBSnr wrote: »
    Quick question. When you order FTTH does the installer bring the router to your house or is it shipped separately? Just wondering how that works as there are multiple suppliers and does each just send a device to KN for the install that day?

Most of the time the provider is either shipping the router or in some cases send their own engineers to fit the router subsequently. That's called a standalone installation.

In the case of Eir retail the OpenEir engineer may or may not have the router with them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Posted last week about getting this installed & all the trees surrounding my house. Took two appointments with Eir, the second one was with a hoist.

Getting an average of 50mb from the 150 package. Before this I was getting 0.2 from my phone's mobile data so not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

trixiebust wrote: »
    Posted last week about getting this installed & all the trees surrounding my house. Took two appointments with Eir, the second one was with a hoist.

Getting an average of 50mb from the 150 package. Before this I was getting 0.2 from my phone's mobile data so not complaining.

50Mb wired, or wireless?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement