Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

MBSnr wrote: »
    Quick question. When you order FTTH does the installer bring the router to your house or is it shipped separately? Just wondering how that works as there are multiple suppliers and does each just send a device to KN for the install that day?
    In my case (with Eir) the installer from KN had everything. It's not hard to imagine that the way it is set up, other retailers would send the router separately though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

trixiebust wrote: »
    Posted last week about getting this installed & all the trees surrounding my house. Took two appointments with Eir, the second one was with a hoist.

Getting an average of 50mb from the 150 package. Before this I was getting 0.2 from my phone's mobile data so not complaining.

Try it wired using a device with a Gb/s network connection.
    You should get close to 150 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

It's wireless. In our old house that had decent internet, we always used just WiFi connections.

50mb is plenty enough for what we do, it's just great to have reliable internet again.

€50 pm on a 12 month deal with Eir, plus the TV & phone package thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

€50 pm on a 12 month deal with Eir, plus the TV & phone package thrown in too.

That's only the first 6 months though. Then 55 and after 12 months 83 eur/month.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Marlow wrote: »
    That's only the first 6 months though. Then 55 and after 12 months 83 eur/month.

/M

My deal has no TV included but its a 12 month contract. Same price all 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

/M

Good thing it's only a 12 month contract, I'll probably switch every 12 months.

It's not just for 6 months, it's for all 12 months.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My deal has no TV included but its a 12 month contract. Same price all 12 months.
    It's not just for 6 months, it's for all 12 months.

Just after seeing, that they've changed their pricing again a while ago. The bundle is now 45 for 6 months, then 50, then 81.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

It's mad how they are so inconsistent with what they charge customers.

/M

It's mad how they are so inconsistent with what they charge customers.

/M
    I was told that it was €50 a month for 12 months which I was fine with.  But when they processed it they said €45 for 12 months and the confirmation email said the same so I'm not complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Posted last week about getting this installed & all the trees surrounding my house. Took two appointments with Eir, the second one was with a hoist.

Getting an average of 50mb from the 150 package. Before this I was getting 0.2 from my phone's mobile data so not complaining.

That sounds like a hard limit on your WiFi devices, rather than the service. Check the speed using a wired connection. If you're getting the full speed, you won't see the benefit of it without faster WiFi cards in your laptop and so on.

• Advertisement

I was told that it was €50 a month for 12 months which I was fine with.  But when they processed it they said €45 for 12 months and the confirmation email said the same so I'm not complaining.

It was €45 pm for me too. But the sales guy offered me the TV package for an extra €5 pm. Couldn't turn it down.

Delighted with the installation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Wire on the left is going to my parents' house, does the new black box on the pole mean they are now able to avail of ffth?

456176.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

funnyname wrote: »
    Wire on the left is going to my parents' house, does the new black box on the pole mean they are now able to avail of ffth?

They should be. That is a fibre distribution point. It may not be live yet. Check their Eircode on:

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Fibre to the Home is not currently available at this address.

Which is what I always thought was the case as they are within the bounds of the local fttc network. Further out the village they are down for ftth so I must trace that route out of the village wrt eir map.
    They should be. That is a fibre distribution point. It may not be live yet. Check their Eircode on:

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Which is what I always thought was the case as they are within the bounds of the local fttc network. Further out the village they are down for ftth so I must trace that route out of the village wrt eir map.

Did you try the Airwire checker, as it’s more up to date.

AidenL wrote: »
    Did you try the Airwire checker, as it’s more up to date.

+1

Airwire had the correct info for my address a month before Eir.

Doesn't guarantee that the distribution point will be live though. My first attempt at an installation failed because the DP wasn't live. Should (allegedly) be fixed on August 4th and then I can try again for installation.

It was €45 pm for me too. But the sales guy offered me the TV package for an extra €5 pm. Couldn't turn it down.

Delighted with the installation too.

Checking out the prices on eir site .....

45 for 6 months
    50 for 6 months
    100 installation
    Includes free calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles.

It also includes this
    Online price for new eir customers in their initial contract term

Does anyone have experience whether this prevents existing eir phone/broadband (over phone line) customers from signing up to this offer?

Checking out the prices on eir site .....

45 for 6 months
    50 for 6 months
    100 installation
    Includes free calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles.

It also includes this

Does anyone have experience whether this prevents existing eir phone/broadband (over phone line) customers from signing up to this offer?

I've been an Eir customer for 6 years and I got €45 a month for 12 months, 150mb package with free calls.

I've been an Eir customer for 6 years and I got €45 a month for 12 months, 150mb package with free calls.

Thanks ..... was that an on-line sign up or from a representative who called, or maybe you calling by phone?

I am hoping this area goes live within a couple of weeks so want to be prepared with prices and options.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe, depends on the location - they may have added you in or it could be for someone else.

• Advertisement

They may be in bounds of FTTC but at what speed? Has the box been in place for long? It's possible that the section has not gone live yet. They would want to be particularly unlucky to be that close to a DP and not be included. Are there many other premises in proximity to the DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone on here had any difficulty with OpenAir technicians installing FTTH.

I saw on their promotion video on how the installation takes place and for health and safety reasons the technician will not enter the attic space.

I need mine installed through the attic to get the best place for the router.

I know I could easily go into the attic and run the cable for them but would they allow?

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone on here had any difficulty with OpenAir technicians installing FTTH.

I saw on their promotion video on how the installation takes place and for health and safety reasons the technician will not enter the attic space.

I know I could easily go into the attic and run the cable for them but would they allow?

A few of us here have had installations where they allowed us to pull cable through an attic but it really depends on who you get on the day. If you have holes pre drilled and perhaps ducting in place for the cable to go through it may help your case.

If it's all planned and they are not waiting around for you they'll let you pull the cable thru if no ducting they can just push thru. They won't enter the attic for obvious reasons.
    Golden rule of thumb - the easier it is the more likely you will get installed.

Thanks ..... was that an on-line sign up or from a representative who called, or maybe you calling by phone?

I am hoping this area goes live within a couple of weeks so want to be prepared with prices and options.

Thanks.

I used the online chat.

It really is down to the installer. The problem is, that if you have a problem with the line later on, the next installer may refuse to service it.

OpenEIRs official take on attic installation is: if you pre-drill the hole from the outside, run a duct or hydrodare through the attic and drill another hole where it exits again. Then install a pull-string for the installer to pull the fiber through. That would be an acceptable way to install the fiber.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Put two holes in the wall and didn't find the duct. Next ill have to try to take the skirting board off or take it off partially and just bend it as far as i need it to see if the duct is accessible.

If i had to run a duct, can it terminate on the outside wall and get kn to put drill the wall and feed it through or would it need to be drilled with an access box on the outside?

Put two holes in the wall and didn't find the duct. Next ill have to try to take the skirting board off or take it off partially and just bend it as far as i need it to see if the duct is accessible.

If i had to run a duct, can it terminate on the outside wall and get kn to put drill the wall and feed it through or would it need to be drilled with an access box on the outside?

No problem
    https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

fritzelly wrote: »

Great had seen that but wasnt sure if it applied to ftth install or a fresh install. Might try to find the duct and see what kn say when they come out

Do they rod from the house out or the pole to the house?

• Advertisement

Do they rod from the house out or the pole to the house?

They try both ways if needed.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement