Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you're gonna install new ducting just put a drawstring in then no need for rodding

Also don't bend your skirting!

If you're handy enough throw some new ducting in, chances are your old ducting is probably crushed or has a blockage (assuming its quite old from your description) or cemented over or many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Great thanks guys. Will have a go at the skirting and of it doesn't come off well ill just leave it and wait until kn come out

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

fritzelly wrote: »
    If it's all planned and they are not waiting around for you they'll let you pull the cable thru if no ducting they can just push thru. They won't enter the attic for obvious reasons.
    Golden rule of thumb - the easier it is the more likely you will get installed.

Thanks for the advise all, I got all the prep work done yesterday so I'm just waiting on our area to go live. Its scheduled on AirWire for August 8th so fingers crossed they stick to that date.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise all, I got all the prep work done yesterday so I'm just waiting on our area to go live. Its scheduled on AirWire for August 8th so fingers crossed they stick to that date.

Hi,
    if your "ready for order" date is the 8.8., it will more than likely be about a week after that (plus or minus a day). We can't place the order with OpenEIR until the RFO date and we have to give them 5 days to process the order. It's the same for any other OpenEIR wholesales partner.

Sometimes things go the other way and it takes longer. That is if they run into technical difficulties in the last minute. We will ring you on the day we place it and confirm your installation date with you. It has to suit your schedule.

Be assured though, that we will get that order in place, once they let us place it.

So my duct terminates in the floor. Got my skirting board far enough away from the wall to chisel the wall and the phone on plastered right into the floor.

So ill wait till kn come out and hopefully pay them to bring the duct in at one of the bedrooms at the side

I probably couldnt find the duct anyway myself in the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So my duct terminates in the floor. Got my skirting board far enough away from the wall to chisel the wall and the phone on plastered right into the floor.

So ill wait till kn come out and hopefully pay them to bring the duct in at one of the bedrooms at the side

What diameter is the duct in the floor?

It should be a matter of locating the other end of the duct, where eir(com) inserted the phone cable ........ I would expect that to be available to KN.

Of course the duct might be collapsed in which case an alternative plan would be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

While the phone line is in the wall, the duct may be away from the wall. If the duct is clear the installer should be able push a rod through. If it hits the floor board you know where to get access. This is what i did when the installer was out a few months ago. I drilled a hole in the floor boards with a circular saw to get them access and they pulled the fibre in. That was back in April. I just got the install completed this morning as there were issues with the DP which took ages to be resolved. In the mean time i had put a drawstring from the hole in the floor to the skirting board, so this morning the kn guy was able to feed the fibre under the floor board and up under the skirting board. I just need to replace the circular piece that was cut out of the floor and take a notch out of the back of the skirting board and i'll have a neat enough install.

pay them to bring the duct in at one of the bedrooms at the side

What do you mean?

The phone line comes up from the floor through the cement and the plaster. No idea where the duct is, i chiseled the wall down and all there is is the phone line. This continues behind the skirting into the floor. No duct

http://imgur.com/gallery/N7sywdI

Its a black cable is about 10mm wide with a few phone wires in it.

So the duct is probably in the floor somewhere and im not taking the floor up. It was repared last year. If as someone said there there duct is straight under the floor i might drill a hole

So im gonna wait for kn to come out. If they can find where the duct terminates in the house and its accessible without ruining the floor ill use that or ill just have to have the duct diverted in the garden and bring it in somewhere else.

I probably cant really have an overhead install as the land infront of my house to one pole isnt mine and its full of trees. The other pole nearest me has an esb wire overhead between it and me. Both are probably 85m away from the house

So im gonna wait for kn to come out and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Had a company out today to try and find the end of my ducting but they had the same problem as KN. Can't locate the end of it.

He went looking at the poles and can't figure out which one my current line is going through either to start from the other end.

What a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

Good news for everyone - Unlimited (real unlimited) BB coming to eir
    Existing customers will need to recontract to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Had a company out today to try and find the end of my ducting but they had the same problem as KN. Can't locate the end of it.

He went looking at the poles and can't figure out which one my current line is going through either to start from the other end.

What a pain in the arse.

Overhead solution is the cheapset and easiest option. From pole to fascia or gable ends. I know to some people it looks unsightly/not aesthetically pleasing, but the majority of homes in the country are connected this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Overhead solution is the cheapset and easiest option. From pole to fascia or gable ends. I know to some people it looks unsightly/not aesthetically pleasing, but the majority of homes in the country are connected this way.
    Worse than that - birds love those wires and crap down on whatever is under it including parked cars :D

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

Its not advertised yet...tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Have you tried an FM-AM radio to locate the cable. I used this system as follows: At house or where ever the cable surfaces or can be accessed tune the radio until it picks up the existing cable. Outside sweep the ground slowly and carefully until you pick up the signal. This worked very successfully for me. Might be worth your while trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Its not advertised yet...tomorrow

Sweet. Just had the junction box installed on the pole outside my house on Thursday last, looking at the Airwire site it says it's due to be available on 8th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I know, but I currently don't have any lines into the house overhead and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Seems nuts that I already have a duct underground and it's not possible to send the fibre in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

turbbo wrote: »
    Worse than that - birds love those wires and crap down on whatever is under it including parked cars :D

That's supposed to be good luck. True or not it's free bird sh!te that could be lucky.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

garroff wrote: »
    Have you tried an FM-AM radio to locate the cable. I used this system as follows: At house or where ever the cable surfaces or can be accessed tune the radio until it picks up the existing cable. Outside sweep the ground slowly and carefully until you pick up the signal. This worked very successfully for me. Might be worth your while trying it.

Just random FM tuning for a hum/buzz?

The dp went up on the pole outside my house today in ballyshannon. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Same at mine. And my router arrived from Airwire too.
    The dp went up on the pole outside my house today in ballyshannon. Good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is the FUP gone completely across all eFibre products (FTTH and FTTC)? Any price increases in the pipeline to compensate do you know?

Is the FUP gone completely across all eFibre products (FTTH and FTTC)? Any price increases in the pipeline to compensate do you know?

Across both and some (very) good prices arriving tomorrow as well
    eir seem to be going full on against the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

How do they plan to deal with people taking the piss? Warnings then disconnection?

How do they plan to deal with people taking the piss? Warnings then disconnection?

No idea, probably some small print but they are saying truly unlimited - but realistically when you take all customers as a whole the average download is probably going to be quite small

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

eir seem to be going full on against the competition

Thanks ..... of great interest here ....... supposed to go live tomorrow ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No idea, probably some small print but they are saying truly unlimited - but realistically when you take all customers as a whole the average download is probably going to be quite small

It will be interesting. Because so far, they're the ones that are taking the biggest p*** with being the only ones automatically charging when going over the cap (apart from mobile providers of course), well hiding the fact that they do and not rewarding loyal customers at all with their staggered pricing structure.

Nevermind the quality of their customer service, their service technically and their track record on over charging.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

Hi,
    if your "ready for order" date is the 8.8., it will more than likely be about a week after that (plus or minus a day). We can't place the order with OpenEIR until the RFO date and we have to give them 5 days to process the order. It's the same for any other OpenEIR wholesales partner.

Sometimes things go the other way and it takes longer. That is if they run into technical difficulties in the last minute. We will ring you on the day we place it and confirm your installation date with you. It has to suit your schedule.

Be assured though, that we will get that order in place, once they let us place it.

Just found out they are connecting FTTH in our area since Monday last, all be it 3 miles away from here.
    It does state on AirWire that connection date is 8/8/2018 but they are obviously working a few weeks in advance.
    Does Eir contact me now or what is the process?
    I did contact Eir on the 3rd of July and they told me it would be the second half of 2018 and to keep an eye on their website for updates.

Thankfully I found this chat and the members have more knowledge that Eir employees seem to have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement