Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    It will be interesting. Because so far, they're the ones that are taking the biggest p*** with being the only ones automatically charging when going over the cap (apart from mobile providers of course), well hiding the fact that they do and not rewarding loyal customers at all with their staggered pricing structure.

Nevermind the quality of their customer service, their service technically and their track record on over charging.

/M

Well not anymore - was really only a matter of time, can't offer 1Gb download and limit it to 1Tb - bit ridiculous really. They were still living in the annuls of history when download traffic used to be fairly expensive but it's cheap as chips now.
    Re mobiles - big boost on data caps

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Just found out they are connecting FTTH in our area since Monday last, all be it 3 miles away from here.
    It does state on AirWire that connection date is 8/8/2018 but they are obviously working a few weeks in advance.
    Does Eir contact me now or what is the process?
    I did contact Eir on the 3rd of July and they told me it would be the second half of 2018 and to keep an eye on their website for updates.

Thankfully I found this chat and the members have more knowledge that Eir employees seem to have.

OE will release "live" data about a month beforehand but can be many things not really live like DP not live etc. So don't hold your breath expecting it all to work on that date.
    Usually eir send sales guys around the time of OE saying its going live.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Just found out they are connecting FTTH in our area since Monday last, all be it 3 miles away from here.
    It does state on AirWire that connection date is 8/8/2018 but they are obviously working a few weeks in advance.
    Does Eir contact me now or what is the process?
    I did contact Eir on the 3rd of July and they told me it would be the second half of 2018 and to keep an eye on their website for updates.

If you've ordered with Airwire, it will have nothing to do with Eir. Airwire is an OpenEIR wholesales partner. The same as Eir. So we can provide the same physical connection to your home as Eir, but are a completely different internet provider.

So once you have placed your order, Airwire gets OpenEIR to install your FTTH connection. KN will come out do the physical work. Once that's done, you only have to deal with the provider, that you ordered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well not anymore - was really only a matter of time, can't offer 1Gb download and limit it to 1Tb - bit ridiculous really. They were still living in the annuls of history when download traffic used to be fairly expensive but it's cheap as chips now.

A limit that low is ridiculous on 1 Gbit/s agreed. And the charge for traffic afterwards that is comparable pricewise, what mobile broadband providers charge is even more ridiculous.

We'll see, what happens.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

If you've ordered with Airwire, it will have nothing to do with Eir. Airwire is an OpenEIR wholesales partner. The same as Eir. So we can provide the same physical connection to your home as Eir, but are a completely different internet provider.

So once you have placed your order, Airwire gets OpenEIR to install your FTTH connection. KN will come out do the physical work. Once that's done, you only have to deal with the provider, that you ordered with.

Yea KN is doing the physical work, I need to get on the ball tomorrow then.

With the news of better prices coming out tomorrow AirWire will have to compete ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Yes, 36 hours in on SIRO and already over 330gb.

KOR101 wrote: »

The joys of getting fiber. Until the hard drives are full :)

/M

There isn't that much **** in the world - what are you downloading?

Ah here. All he needs to do is to sign up for an old fashioned news (NNTP) sub that includes binaries and has no limit, install sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato.

He can pretty much be downloading at full throttle for days then without moving another finger.

/M

Not just downloading, repairing some ratios.

• Advertisement

Not just downloading, repairing some ratios.

LMAO!!!

Did star out what is probably obvious after remembering this is not AH

LMAO!!!

Did star out what is probably obvious after remembering this is not AH
    Bluray of a 5 episode German TV series .....125Gb. Single 1080i rugby match ....19gb. Are you still on SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Bluray of a 5 episode German TV series .....125Gb. Single 1080i rugby match ....19gb. Are you still on SD?

Hehe , it's amazing /frightening how quickly the usage racks up :)

Even aside from watching movies/tv from "unofficial" sources , games and general streaming uses a fair bit .

For example , I've a brother in law who will quite happily sit watching youtube 24/7 when they visit , with the quality settings turned up full .

My wife and I regularly use the All4 app ( legally , it's not geoblocked in Ireland ) built into the TV in the sitting room to watch the Walter Presents foreign dramas .

Steam and other game services are also unreal .

For example -

I only got Eir Fibre Extreme 300 installed in the middle of May .

During the recent Steam sale I bought and downloaded three games .

Thief (25GB)

Watch_Dogs 2 (34GB)

Quantum Break (75GB)

Aside from the initial downloads , (which didn't take 5days + , like it used to ) Quantum Break streams a large portion of the content (high quality cutscenes / mini movies ) that was another 50-75 GB on top of the initial download .

So between those three games alone , that was over 200 GB :D

Plus I get game updates nearly every time I launch Steam .

A cap of 1 TB is really restrictive on a fibre connection .

I've just looked at the Eir site .

It now says "no usage caps "

456645.jpg

When I log in , there's no usage stats anymore . There was yesterday .

Please let it be true :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Across both and some (very) good prices arriving tomorrow as well
    eir seem to be going full on against the competition

Prices have changed today as promised :)

150Mb bundle
    Was
    €45 for 6 months, then €50 for 6 months and €81 thereafter

Now
    €45.99 for 12 months and €65.99 thereafter
    Only off-peak calls to Irish landline now whereas previously there was
    Unlimited calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles.

I did not check out the 'cap' situation for the three different bundles .... but 'no cap' is mentioned on the site.

The pricing is much clearer now .... more in line with what some competitors are offering such as Airwire.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Prices have changed today as promised :)

150Mb bundle
    Was
    €45 for 6 months, then €50 for 6 months and €81 thereafter

Now
    €45.99 for 12 months and €65.99 thereafter
    Only off-peak calls to Irish landline now whereas previously there was
    Unlimited calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles.

I did not check out the 'cap' situation.

The pricing is much clearer now .... more in line with what some competitors are offering such as Airwire.

I uploaded a screenshot of the Eir site just before you posted .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I uploaded a screenshot of the Eir site just before you posted .

Ah! had not seen it.

What is not clear without delving into the small print, is whether the 'no usage caps' applies to all bundles or only the 1Gb one.

Unlimited is for all FTTC/FTTH bundles not just the 1Gb package

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do you have to sign a new contract to avail of it? Mine isn't up for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭KildareP

Does this apply to business accounts also or just residential?

• Advertisement

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I've just looked at the Eir site .

456645.jpg

When I log in , there's no usage stats anymore . There was yesterday .

Please let it be true :D:D
    The wording is clearly different for the 1000mbit product (includes "with unlimited usage").

The wording is clearly different for the 1000mbit product (includes "with unlimited usage").

I think we all need an official clarification from Eir .

Yesterday when I logged into my Eir account I could see my download stats / usage for the month .

Now all I see is this -
    456649.jpg

There was a link for usage beside the Eir fibre extreme text , now it's gone .

Business haven't had any package changes (yet)
    That unlimited blurb is the same as it was before for the 1Gb package - it really is unlimited on all packages
    New contract needed if you want the new packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Please let it be true. Should have FTTH available in the coming months and wasn't as excited as I should be due to the usage restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Those are more attractive packages now alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Business haven't had any package changes (yet)
    That unlimited blurb is the same as it was before for the 1Gb package - it really is unlimited on all packages
    New contract needed if you want the new packages.

Are they going to notify us I wonder or will we need to contact them. It is a big blow to virgin media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm hitting the live chat now to confirm.  I've signed up for the new deal but it doesn't start until installation so I want to ensure I'm getting unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

True unlimited broadband is for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY.  Not available for current customers, even if you are upgrading to fibre for the first time.

I dare say that could be argued if you call up and threaten to leave, but it's pretty poor form.

Are they going to notify us I wonder or will we need to contact them. It is a big blow to virgin media.

No, you need to contact them. Plenty of advertising so expect lots of people will be phoning in.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    True unlimited broadband is for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. Not available for current customers, even if you are upgrading to fibre for the first time.

I dare say that could be argued if you call up and threaten to leave, but it's pretty poor form.
    If they are removing the usage meter for existing customers you would have to assume it applies to them also. Typical Eir messup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement