Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DrPhilG wrote: »
    True unlimited broadband is for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY.  Not available for current customers, even if you are upgrading to fibre for the first time.

I dare say that could be argued if you call up and threaten to leave, but it's pretty poor form.

Incorrect - anyone signing up for the new packages gets unlimited but its a new 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

fritzelly wrote: »
    Incorrect - anyone signing up for the new packages gets unlimited but its a new 12 month contract.

Sorry, which bit was incorrect?  I've got 6 months left on my old contract but have signed up for a new 12 month fibre contract.

Eir have confirmed that current customers signing up for a new 12 month fibre deal (like I did) will not get the new fully unlimited deal.  It is only for new customers moving to Eir.

That's what they've told me anyway.

Sorry, which bit was incorrect?  I've got 6 months left on my old contract but have signed up for a new 12 month fibre contract.

Eir have confirmed that current customers signing up for a new 12 month fibre deal (like I did) will not get the new fully unlimited deal.  It is only for new customers moving to Eir.

That's what they've told me anyway.

New packages are unlimited for new and existing customers (signing a new contract). Whoever is telling you they are not unlimited is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Hmm off peak calls to Irish landlines only now. Looks like Eir have ruled themselves out for me as we'd rack up a good bit of mobile and UK calls.

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    Hmm off peak calls to Irish landlines only now. Looks like Eir have ruled themselves out for me as we'd rack up a good bit of mobile and UK calls.

Add on for 9.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

^^^
    Add on for 9.99

Or set up a VOIP account with a different provider.
    Lots of cheap rates out there .

I'm actually double checking about the current FTTH customers moving to the new package.

edit
    Current contracts apply, can move to the new package once your current contract is finished. Unless you are upgrading from a different package/adding on to the package.
    Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What about people on fttc contracts? Do we have to wait until contract runs out or what.
    I think we need eir to put out a press release.

What about people on fttc contracts? Do we have to wait until contract runs out or what.
    I think we need eir to put out a press release.

Current contracts stand unless you are upgrading.
    Silly really. Maybe they will change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

New packages are unlimited for new and existing customers (signing a new contract). Whoever is telling you they are not unlimited is wrong.

It was Eir who were telling me that, lol.  I've never trusted their webchat crew but that's stupid even for them.

So the fact is, all new and upgrading customers will now get completely unlimited usage?  But they are losing the free calls to mobile and the UK?

To be honest I'd rather keep the calls and not get unlimited.  It would be very rare that I'd exceed 1TB anyway but my wife and I both have UK mobiles, work in the North and call the UK regularly.

• Advertisement

It was Eir who were telling me that, lol.  I've never trusted their webchat crew but that's stupid even for them.

So the fact is, all new and upgrading customers will now get completely unlimited usage?  But they are losing the free calls to mobile and the UK?

To be honest I'd rather keep the calls and not get unlimited.  It would be very rare that I'd exceed 1TB anyway but my wife and I both have UK mobiles, work in the North and call the UK regularly.

Yes, cutting the calls back to a useless 'off peak' for Irish landlines only is rather draconian.
    Still it is easy to set up an alternate VOIP provider (probably with cheaper rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Connected finally :) delighted pulling in 600mb+ I assume windows updates is affecting it.

Router saying wrong admin password though

Connected finally :) delighted pulling in 600mb+ I assume windows updates is affecting it.

Router saying wrong admin password though

I'd be on to loyalty to cancel and get the new plans (unless the calls thing is a no goer for you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

For those customers who signed up prior to 25th July 2018, eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month; usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month. This is not applicable to customers who sign up on or after 25th July 2018.

Here it is in black and white on page 6:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Thanks for that info!

So those who already have FTTH or FTTC before today have to live with the 1TB cap which is shocking. But what if the person is currently on the next generation broadband upto 24mbs now but sign up for FTTH in the future. Because they were an eir broadband customer before today will they still have the 1TB cap ?

Then they can get the new plans as can anyone out of contract.

That seems clear enough :D
    For those customers who signed up prior to 25th July 2018, eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month; usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month. This is not applicable to customers who sign up on or after 25th July 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gurr! Well thats annoying, hopefully the other folks selling FTTH via Eir fiber will do likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

17 new pole's have been put up along the R619 in Bweeng, Co.Cork over the last 2 weeks (along yellow line), they bypassed the old network completely (light blue). Amazing to think that 17 new poles were needed to service just 7 houses.

ayozdj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

So they kept the price the same but now they want to try catch people out on phone calls instead of exceeding data usage. Their price after initial contract term is still worse value than all competitors.

• Advertisement

spix wrote: »
    So they kept the price the same but now they want to try catch people out on phone calls instead of exceeding data usage.

You think so?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107609710&postcount=1696

Maybe get out calculator :D

Was €570 for first 12 months €81 thereafter with 1 TB FUP

Now €552 for first 12 months. €66 thereafter without FUP and most of the calls.

So, it depends on what you want I suppose.
    As it is easy to get an alternate cheap provider for calls then the new prove should be beneficial to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

You think so?

As it is easy to get an alternate cheap provider for calls then the new prove should be beneficial to most.

That wasn't the deal showing for me, I know they are changing often but the most recent one I saw was 45 for first 12 months, not 6 months.

Airwire are 60pm for 300mb with 2TB. Tbh I really do think 2TB would be more than enough for most people, 1TB was cutting it close for households with multiple netflix users etc. Overall I'd say the Airwire option is better, you get a better router and free installation when moving, Eir charge 99 regardless of if there's an exisiting connection or not. I aslo don't like the way Eir is not offering it without the phone line by default as its very likely most going with that package will end up racking up a bill as off peak landline isn't much use.

For totally new customers I can see how that Eir offering is appealing but the minimum price after initial contract is still well above competitors. It's also possible that competitors will react with their own price changes soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Good news ref true unlimited caps!

Looks like they are trying to correct their deficiency before Sky enter FTTH market with anticipated true unlimited caps??

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I have ordered with Airwire, and I like the way they operate, and communicate, but Id be quite a lot worse off over the first year as a new connection, plus I am in contract with eir for another three months after my live date, which will cost me another 135 euros.

I know Airwire have better customer service, and a better router, but the difference is a lot of money to me over a year. With the FUP gone, and eir offering more realistic pricing, the goalposts have moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

You think so?

OK this is my maths. Corrections welcome! [I can't get the table to line up] :eek:

1st Yr cost / 2nd Yr cost / Yr 1 + Yr 2 Cost

Company Cost 1st Yr 2nd Yr YR 1+2
    Eir 150Mb (+ €9.99 phone) €771.75 €911.76 €1,683.51
    Airwire 150Mb (€199 install) €983.00 €720.00 €1,703.00
    Airwire 150Mb (Free install) €784.00 €720.00 €1,504.00
    Digiweb 150Mb (€199 install) €978.40 €779.40 €1,757.80

Assumes you stay for 2 yrs with company and -
    Airwire - €60 pm - includes phone of €10 pm.
    Cost of router + €199 install = €248 or just router (with free install) €49. Airwire free install is 18 month contract. €15 phone port fee. [No mobile calls included - they are 20c per min. 60 mins of calls a month - add another €288 over two years].
    EDIT - just seen that Airwire is now €199 for a new install and 18 months free install is for existing FTTH connection in place.

Digiweb - €64.95 pm. Install €199. UK and Ireland mobile + landline calls.

Eir - Assumes new pricing - €45.99 then €65.99, €99.99 install fee and call package is €9.99 pm for UK/Ireland mobile/landline calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Good news ref true unlimited caps!

As long as you're not an existing customer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gets even better. Page 3: For standalone products, the pricing is gone up actually.

So with the bundles they're doing it looks cheaper, but the round of cheap bundles from last year all got a letter half a year in, that their price would be increased by 6 EUR. So ... can't bet on anything but the official price list above.

And looking at that other providers are a good bit cheaper. Eir has become more expensive and now removed peak calls, UK and all mobiles from the bundle. Wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind. They obviously hope to make the difference back from the calls they've removed.

So Eirs standalone pricing:
    - VDSL 52.99 EUR
    - 150 Mbit/s 58.99 EUR
    - 300 Mbit/s 67.98 EUR
    - 1000 Mbit/s 82.98 EUR

That's per month including VAT before discounts. That's the price they need to make on these lines, so the discount in the bundle, they've got to make good on in call minutes or elsewhere. The only real change here is that they don't charge after the cap is hit anymore.

That's also the reason, where the 65.99 EUR pricing for the 150 Mbit/s bundle after 12 months comes from.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

EDIT - just seen that Airwire is now €199 for a new install and 18 months free install is for existing FTTH connection in place.

That was always the case because of the high cost from OpenEIR to us for new installations.

Also, year 2 with Airwire, we offer existing customers a loyality package. If you are on the 150 Mbit/s, you get that for 45 EUR/month, if you sign another 12 months contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OK this is my maths. Corrections welcome! [I can't get the table to line up] :eek:

1st Yr cost / 2nd Yr cost / Yr 1 + Yr 2 Cost

Company Cost 1st Yr 2nd Yr YR 1+2
    Eir 150Mb (+ €9.99 phone) €771.75 €911.76 €1,683.51
    Airwire 150Mb (€199 install) €983.00 €720.00 €1,703.00
    Airwire 150Mb (Free install) €784.00 €720.00 €1,504.00
    Digiweb 150Mb (€199 install) €978.40 €779.40 €1,757.80

Assumes you stay for 2 yrs with company and -
    Airwire - €60 pm - includes phone of €10 pm.
    Cost of router + €199 install = €248 or just router (with free install) €49. Airwire free install is 18 month contract. €15 phone port fee. [No mobile calls included - they are 20c per min. 60 mins of calls a month - add another €288 over two years].

Digiweb - €64.95 pm. Install €199. UK and Ireland mobile + landline calls.

Eir - Assumes new pricing - €45.99 then €65.99, €99.99 install fee and call package is €9.99 pm for UK/Ireland mobile/landline calls.

Why would you stay for two years? Play the game and switch every year getting the best deal or negotiate a similar deal with your current ISP if possible. The ISPs here won't like me saying this but from a consumer perspective it makes the most sense.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Why would you stay for two years? Play the game and switch every year getting the best deal or negotiate a similar deal with your current ISP if possible. The ISPs here won't like me saying this but from a consumer perspective it makes the most sense.

Nothing wrong with that attitude. ISPs should reward loyality. Not hike the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement