Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Are Eir the only ones who can do the thing where you keep your monitored alarm on FTTH (because they keep the old line if you request it)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nothing wrong with that attitude. ISPs should reward loyality. Not hike the price.

Sure, but consumers should be also conscious of more than just price. Is it worth dealing with some ISPs' notorious billing disasters and appalling customer service to save a couple of euros a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Are Eir the only ones who can do the thing where you keep your monitored alarm on FTTH (because they keep the old line if you request it)

Most monitored alarms are now mobile/gsm based. No need for the landline. You only need that if you have a ancient alarm system.

And hey... any good burglar can easily disable your landline first. Just rip the cables put of the ETU.

So having a landline based monitored alarm is as good as having no monitoring.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How long does it take for the phone service to activate on the f2000?

They gave me my landline number via text and it works on the eir app

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How long does it take for the phone service to activate on the f2000?

They gave me my landline number via text and it works on the eir app

VOBB and new number I assume - should be a day or two at most, might need to get someone to send the VOIP settings to jumpstart the activation.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Most monitored alarms are now mobile/gsm based. No need for the landline. You only need that if you have a ancient alarm system.

And hey... any good burglar can easily disable your landline first. Just rip the cables put of the ETU.

So having a landline based monitored alarm is as good as having no monitoring.

/M

no burglar is going to cut a landline unless they also plan on lowering themselves down through a skylight like something out of mission impossible
    You only need that if you have a ancient alarm system.
    did you think I'd be asking this as some sort of rhetorical thought experiment to make Eir look better? what's the year 2 cost if you have to install a new alarm system?

I publicly posted a scathing review of my experience with Eir and I'd like to know is there anyone else who can let us keep the ancient monitored alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

That was always the case because of the high cost from OpenEIR to us for new installations.

Also, year 2 with Airwire, we offer existing customers a loyality package. If you are on the 150 Mbit/s, you get that for 45 EUR/month, if you sign another 12 months contract.

Anything on the other packages?

what's the year 2 cost if you have to install a new alarm system?

I generally find any sort of alarm as pure nuisance. They go off regularly, especially in the city, and nobody pays attention to them. So what's the point ?

When I lived in Cabinteely, my neighbors alarm went off on Saturday morning. This is in an apartment with paper thin walls.

It was running for the entire Saturday and Sunday until the evening, when he returned. Queried on this, he was actually aware that it had gone off, as he received a text Saturday morning. He just didn't care to do something about it, get somebody to turn it of and obviously doesn't care about his neighbors either.

That seems to be the general standard way people deal with monitored alarms anywhere I've lived in Ireland.

So what's the point in having one ? Or paying for it ?

All it does, is that it enables your neighbor to get your front door kicked in by the Garda after 24 hours and get them to turn it off.

If I remember correctly (but I'd have to research that) alarms actually are supposed to mute after a while, but the old ones on phone lines don't do it, so I'd question their legality on that basis. I remember, that there was a law passed .. or at least proposed, that required this behavior. The noise polution from alarms going off in Dublin just became too big.

/M

I'd like to know is there anyone else who can let us keep the ancient monitored alarm.

As long as there is a copper line there you can keep it with anyone - don't need to go to VOBB unless you only have a fibre line into the house

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

AidenL wrote: »
    Anything on the other packages?

We don't really have anybody that long on the FTTH packages yet, but by the time the contracts are up, you can be sure, there will be something in place. Around October/November.

We don't advertise these packages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Why would you stay for two years? Play the game and switch every year getting the best deal or negotiate a similar deal with your current ISP if possible. The ISPs here won't like me saying this but from a consumer perspective it makes the most sense.

I personally wouldn't stay. It was just a comparison of the costs increasing in the 2nd year with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

That was always the case because of the high cost from OpenEIR to us for new installations.

Also, year 2 with Airwire, we offer existing customers a loyality package. If you are on the 150 Mbit/s, you get that for 45 EUR/month, if you sign another 12 months contract.

I think when I originally pulled the figures, your website was slightly different and it wasn't clear or I misread it.

Marlow wrote: »
    I generally find any sort of alarm as pure nuisance. They go off regularly, especially in the city, and nobody pays attention to them. So what's the point ?

When I lived in Cabinteely, my neighbors alarm went off on Saturday morning. This is in an apartment with paper thin walls.

It was running for the entire Saturday and Sunday until the evening, when he returned. Queried on this, he was actually aware that it had gone off, as he received a text Saturday morning. He just didn't care to do something about it, get somebody to turn it of and obviously doesn't care about his neighbors either.

That seems to be the general standard way people deal with monitored alarms anywhere I've lived in Ireland.

So what's the point in having one ? Or paying for it ?

All it does, is that it enables your neighbor to get your front door kicked in by the Garda after 24 hours and get them to turn it off.

If I remember correctly (but I'd have to research that) alarms actually are supposed to mute after a while, but the old ones on phone lines don't do it, so I'd question their legality on that basis. I remember, that there was a law passed .. or at least proposed, that required this behavior. The noise polution from alarms going off in Dublin just became too big.

/M
    we are keeping our alarm... :eek:
    fritzelly wrote: »
    As long as there is a copper line there you can keep it with anyone - don't need to go to VOBB unless you only have a fibre line into the house
    Thanks, for the likes of airwire that don't seem to do anything but VOIP, would we have to then keep on a phone package with vodafone etc..?

we are keeping our alarm... :eek:

Thanks, for the likes of airwire that don't seem to do anything but VOIP, would we have to then keep on a phone package with vodafone etc..?

Yeah go BB with Airwire and phone with vodafone.
    Should see if the company will replace your alarm if its monitored or in most alarms they can just replace the pstn card

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Connect the alarm to the VOIP port on your CPE - sorted :confused::confused::confused:

ED E wrote: »
    Connect the alarm to the VOIP port on your CPE - sorted :confused::confused::confused:

We went through this before, was probably 2 pages of chat the last time it came up, it doesn't work was the conclusion people came to

Was it not something to do with the signal the alarm sends?

Was it not something to do with the signal the alarm sends?

Pretty much depends on the alarm system, yes.

Some use DTMF signaling. That also works over VoIP. Or a voice prompt.

Others use dial-up to a server, that won't work on VoIP.

The one thing that doesn't work for sure with VoIP is the panic buttons. HSE systems are even more ancient.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Has Eir decided to get rid of their FTTH data limits or is it just lies on their website?

Their FTTH page seems to have updated text which I only noticed now.

They have written:

Truly Unlimited Broadband
    Our unlimited broadband really is unlimited. No usage caps and the best speeds available.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Gonzo wrote: »
    Has Eir decided to get rid of their FTTH data limits or is it just lies on their website?

They have written:

Our unlimited broadband really is unlimited. No usage caps and the best speeds available.

Have you been missing the past few days?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have you been missing the past few days?

yeah haven't been on this forum in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »

They have written:

They are gone from today for new contracts on all eir Fibre products. All existing contracts still have the 1TB FUP. Look back over today's posts, it was well discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They are gone from today for new contracts on all eir Fibre products. All existing contracts still have the 1TB FUP. Look back over today's posts, it was well discussed.

I signed up 2 months ago and have had kn out a few time but DP is not live yet. I'm guessing I should cancel and sign up for a new contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    I signed up 2 months ago and have had kn out a few time but DP is not live yet. I'm guessing I should cancel and sign up for a new contract?

fritzelly could probably clarify but if I were you I'd want the new deal assuming you don't need mobile and UK calls. Whether that requires you to cancel I'm unsure.

fritzelly could probably clarify but if I were you I'd want the new deal assuming you don't need mobile and UK calls. Whether that requires you to cancel I'm unsure.

€99 installation fee would apply too. Unless he doesnt cancel and tries renegotiate with them to waive it.

€99 installation fee would apply too. Unless he doesnt cancel and tries renegotiate with them to waive it.

You think I would have to pay it twice if I canceled now as kn have already called out but not installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

If I sign up to a new contract with eir say 300mb pack would I get the truely unlimited pack sound to good to be true.

tuxy wrote: »
    You think I would have to pay it twice if I canceled now as kn have already called out but not installed?

Ah i assumed you were ordered before the fee was introduced. They'll try charge me for that but the eir reps have assured me it'll be waived.

Ah i assumed you were ordered before the fee was introduced. They'll try charge me for that but the eir reps have assured me it'll be waived.

Nope, I've signed up for the install fee with the cap. I'll see if I can renegotiate or cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I’m in contract with Eir until November.

Can I sign up to new contract now to avail of unlimited FUP or do I have to wait under contract expires?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question. I assume I have to wait until current contract expires)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement