Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what LE on the pole in blue means?

I've seen the L for loop and DP for distribution point i think.

The reason i ask is that the rollout on our road(according to the map)stops with the house before ours. Approx 200m away. However it looks like they continued about 100m closer to us to a pole with LE on it and what looks like a one of those distribution points/boxes.

Many Thanks.

C.

It means line end. It is the last pole in the run. A distribution point should be put on the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just been informed by Eir CS that the forecast date to have the issue resolved is 28/03/2018 :( ah well, hopefully it will be sooner

Some good news for me at least, a neighbors install seems to be going to plan -
    they are connected on the same overhead fibre span but from a different pole/box. Hope that means that it might just be one fibre causing the issue and needs cleaning or the use of another fibre in the cable. Time will tell

Some good news for me at least, a neighbors install seems to be going to plan -
    they are connected on the same overhead fibre span but from a different pole/box. Hope that means that it might just be one fibre causing the issue and needs cleaning or the use of another fibre in the cable. Time will tell

Was it your box that fell off the pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Was it your box that fell off the pole?

That was the first box on the road/street (~1km away from me), in retrospect it seems like it was taped up and fell down. It was mounted correctly after a day or so, suppose there is a chance its related. Connector not fully seated, splice damaged in that box from the shock etc. Cables didn't look 'kinked' or twisted badly at the time.

That was the first box on the road/street (~1km away from me), in retrospect it seems like it was taped up and fell down. It was mounted correctly after a day or so, suppose there is a chance its related. Connector not fully seated, splice damaged in that box from the shock etc. Cables didn't look 'kinked' or twisted badly at the time.

It could be related or not. Hopefully they will have you connected sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

P3034756_copy.jpg

What is all the cable wrapped around it for?

cnocbui wrote: »
    P3034756_copy.jpg

So that they can take it off the pole and do splicing in a van or tent if needed.

P3034756_copy.jpg

That looks a lot neater than many of the ones around here, practice makes perfect I suppose.

Maybe, but the lines are as tight as guitar strings. You could be mistaken for thinking they are using them to support the poles rather than vise versa.

Good thing we never get hurricanes or any high winds in this country and that if we did, poles wouldn't be affected or budge by so much as a 1cm.

Maybe, but the lines are as tight as guitar strings. You could be mistaken for thinking they are using them to support the poles rather than vise versa.

Good thing we never get hurricanes or any high winds in this country and that if we did, poles wouldn't be affected or budge by so much as a 1cm.
    They made that mistake around here and had to replace the entire fibre run before splicing could begin.

• Advertisement

Oh well, after waiting eagerly for seemingly forever the delay is such I can't really take it up now anyway, even if the cables aren't wrecked. Was supposed to have gone live last Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Back in Oct during the big storm an older pole in my area, carrying both copper and fibre lines, fell into a field but remained supported at a 45-60 deg, angle by the taut fibre cable while the copper remained fairly slack, About a week or so later the pole was replaced but the fibre cable wasn't replaced, a great test for the fibre cable. FTTH went live about 2 weeks later.

The Cush wrote: »
    Back in Oct during the big storm an older pole in my area, carrying both copper and fibre lines, fell into a field but remained supported at a 45-60 deg, angle by the taut fibre cable while the copper remained fairly slack, About a week or so later the pole was replaced but the fibre cable wasn't replaced, a great test for the fibre cable. FTTH went live about 2 weeks later.

That is quite surprising. I have seen a fallen pole supported by the copper cable but it had a steel strength member in it. I did not think that the fibre cable would be so strong.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That is quite surprising. I have seen a fallen pole supported by the copper cable but it had a steel strength member in it. I did not think that the fibre cable would be so strong.

The two FRP strength members in the ADSS fibre they use are pretty strong.

It might have Dyneema fibre reinforcement, which by weight, has up to 15 times the tensile strength of steel.

I saw a fibre drop cable today that had been snapped by a loading shovel clearing snow. The Openeir van rocks up looks at the cable for about two minutes (from inside the van) then drives off leaving the cable resting on the piled snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 skulluser

Where are distribution boxes usually located? I keep seeing KN and OpenEir workers and once seen an bunch of KN workers with a sign saying working on behalf of Openeir, they were messing about with cables underground

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

skulluser wrote: »
    Where are distribution boxes usually located? I keep seeing KN and OpenEir workers and once seen an bunch of KN workers with a sign saying working on behalf of Openeir, they were messing about with cables underground

On the poles as in the pic above

It would depend on the topology of the network in a particular area. If the existing copper cables are underground then the fibre cable will most likely be run underground and the DPs could be located in underground access chambers.

If the copper cabling is on poles the fibre cable will be run on poles and the DPs will be on poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 skulluser

It would depend on the topology of the network in a particular area. If the existing copper cables are underground then the fibre cable will most likely be run underground and the DPs could be located in underground access chambers.

If the copper cabling is on poles the fibre cable will be run on poles and the DPs will be on poles.

Ah I just assumed all the distribution boxes are usually on the poles I thought most FTTH access is done through the poles instead of underground.

• Advertisement

Ah I just assumed all the distribution boxes are usually on the poles I thought most FTTH access is done through the poles instead of underground.

The majority would be on poles in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Off topic slightly but curious about this. Telecom Italia manhole covers just outside Borrisoleigh. They are the same as the Esat ones in Thurles and NDP ones in Templemore. Opposite side to Eircoms network too (no even poles in the vincinity beside it). Who owns this I wonder. If only I had a crowbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My Brother has built a new house and had ordered FTTH from Eir and a landline, after a few visits from KN, they dug the underground ducts etc everything they were told. He rang EIR today to find out that they aren't going to go ahead with it, because it would involve erecting five poles and it's not cost-effective, not only will they not give him broadband they won't give him a landline. Any advice?

Pangea wrote: »
    My Brother has built a new house and had ordered FTTH from Eir and a landline, after a few visits from KN, they dug the underground ducts etc everything they were told. He rang EIR today to find out that they aren't going to go ahead with it, because it would involve erecting five poles and it's not cost-effective, not only will they not give him broadband they won't give him a landline. Any advice?

Did they offer FCS/FMS - mobile landline and broadband?
    There is no obligation on them to do anything more than that.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Did they offer FCS/FMS - mobile landline and broadband?
    Sorry I dont understand your question?

maybe if you offer to pay some of the cost, they may reconsider.

Sorry I dont understand your question?

Fixed cellular service for landline and FMS is for the broadband (using 4G)

Paying to do it - have you got thousands to spend (assuming eir would still even do it)

Fixed cellular service for landline and FMS is for the broadband (using 4G)

Paying to do it - have you got thousands to spend (assuming eir would still even do it)

ok, thanks I havent heard of those terms before, well its my Brother thats attempting to get it in so Il mention it to him.

ok, thanks I havent heard of those terms before, well its my Brother thats attempting to get it in so Il mention it to him.

https://www.comreg.ie/ga/eolas-tomhaltora/fon-baile/cuir-isteach-line-seasta/

Basically if you have 4G in your area you would be better off using your phone as a hotspot or pay something like 55 euro for I think 250GB (but there are various offers)
    This seems to be old
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/eir_home_broadband_4g_250gb_offer_terms.pdf

• Advertisement

https://www.comreg.ie/ga/eolas-tomhaltora/fon-baile/cuir-isteach-line-seasta/

Basically if you have 4G in your area you would be better off using your phone as a hotspot or pay something like 55 euro for I think 250GB (but there are various offers)
    This seems to be old
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/eir_home_broadband_4g_250gb_offer_terms.pdf

Thanks, that might be tricky as there is poor mobile coverage at his location :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement