Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

rob808 wrote: »
    That strange online it say €75 after 12 months that mad how yours is €92.99.That more expensive than the 1Gb broadband after 12 months which is €90 online.

It's the eir Complete Broadband & Phone (VoIP) which includes anytime calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles. It started at €63 then they upped the price to €69. I hardly use the phone so I'll be getting rid of it after 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

KOR101 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have your usage details dissapeared from your account? Someone else posted that it had.
    garroff wrote: »
    I checked yesterday....usage details were there...no change
    Gonzo wrote: »
    yep mine are totally gone.
    garroff wrote: »
    Just checked now... historic usage GONE

Try using more than one browser .

If I log in to the eir site using Microsoft Edge , usage details are not there , but if I log in using Internet Explorer , usage details are available :confused:

Why do eir not just scrap the cap for all ftth packages , instead of alienating ( and pissing off ) a lot of customers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Try using more than one browser .

If I log in to the eir site using Microsoft Edge , usage details are not there , but if I log in using Internet Explorer , usage details are available :confused:

Why do eir not just scrap the cap for all ftth packages , instead of alienating ( and pissing off ) a lot of customers .
    They want people to sign upto new contract of course you dont have to and go with another isp.I upgraded mine with phone 1 hour ago €65.99 seem expensive but the old contract im on now goes up to 63 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ninja 12 wrote: »

They probably will but the single mindedness of eir meant they never gave any thought to existing customers paying more money for the same package
    These new packages only came about very recently

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm going to think over the next few weeks what to do. I am hoping Digiweb might change their plans to no caps now that Eir is doing it. If that happens I will switch provider.

I don't want to downgrade, don't really want to upgrade either and I don't see myself adding mobiles or phones to my existing plan, just for the sake of getting a new contract.

It is wrong that Eir treat existing customers like this, not only are we paying the full price for the broadband but we are not welcome to the lifting of the cap/fup either, unless we enter a new contract.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm going to think over the next few weeks what to do. I am hoping Digiweb might change their plans to no caps now that Eir is doing it. If that happens I will switch provider.

I don't want to downgrade, don't really want to upgrade either and I don't see myself adding mobiles or phones to my existing plan, just for the sake of getting a new contract.

It is wrong that Eir treat existing customers like this, not only are we paying the full price for the broadband but we are not welcome to the lifting of the cap/fup either, unless we enter a new contract.
    My sister has Digiweb and ask about caps they said they dont monitor them so you could ring and ask them see what they say.

If you recontract on the same package you get the unlimited at the same price (no discount obviously but try for something for a new contract) - don't need to upgrade/downgrade

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you recontract on the same package you get the unlimited at the same price (no discount obviously but try for something for a new contract) - don't need to upgrade/downgrade
    I ask them you have to add something other wise you stay on your original contract suck because I would had done that but I would have being paying €63 in September in the old contract.

I ask them you have to add something other wise you stay on your original contract suck because I would had done that but I would have being paying €63 in September in the old contract.

If you are out of contract then it is a new contract - you could save a lot if you are not bothered by the lack of call inclusion (I use my mobile for pretty much all calls as it is anyway since they are all included)

If still in contract then yes you need to add something but Gonzo is out of contract

Some smart cookies could maybe add mobile/move their mobile and still get all calls without a phone line

If you are out of contract then it is a new contract - you could save a lot if you are not bothered by the lack of call inclusion (I use my mobile for pretty much all calls as it is anyway since they are all included)

If still in contract then yes you need to add something but Gonzo is out of contract

Some smart cookies could maybe add mobile/move their mobile and still get all calls without a phone line
    He have to pay €75 euro because other bundle are for new customers remind me of sky.

• Advertisement

He have to pay €75 euro because other bundle are for new customers remind me of sky.

Yeah but that is what loyalty is for - can't remember what the old price was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Little advice folks...

KN visited last week and were unable to locate the duct at the house end because it is buried too far down under the front porch.

They weren't sure which pole my phone line comes from either so they didn't push through from the other side, (sounds daft).

This is my road, pole 1 is close to the house but KN guy said my line wasn't coming from it. Makes sense as that pole is new and replaced an older one a few months ago.

Pole 2 was also ruled out.

I don't think he checked pole 3 and that's the one I think is the winner. There are 2 lines coming down and into a duct. It is directly opposite my neighbours house and I reckon one line was for his house (although he never bothered getting a phone line) and the other I'm guessing is to me.

The 2 ducts go underground at that point and I believe my line surfaces beside the corner of my front wall before going under the garden to the front door.

So am I guessing right? Anybody more in the know able to tell by the lines on the poles?

Little advice folks...

KN visited last week and were unable to locate the duct at the house end because it is buried too far down under the front porch.

They weren't sure which pole my phone line comes from either so they didn't push through from the other side, (sounds daft).

This is my road, pole 1 is close to the house but KN guy said my line wasn't coming from it. Makes sense as that pole is new and replaced an older one a few months ago.
    456765.jpg

Pole 2 was also ruled out.
    456766.jpg

I don't think he checked pole 3 and that's the one I think is the winner. There are 2 lines coming down and into a duct. It is directly opposite my neighbours house and I reckon one line was for his house (although he never bothered getting a phone line) and the other I'm guessing is to me.
    456767.jpg

The 2 ducts go underground at that point and I know that my line surfaces beside the corner of my front wall before going under the garden to the front door.

So am I guessing right? Anybody more in the know able to tell by the lines on the poles?

Pole 4 is just power and the yellow x is where the duct enters my land.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Little advice folks...

I can't tell from the cables but there does seem to be a disturbance across the road in line with the yellow X. Would the road have been excavated to run duct across? If the cable is coming under the ditch where the poles are there is going to be a near right angle if it's crossing at that disturbance. Is there any access chamber (manhole) maybe buried under foliage around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I can't tell from the cables but there does seem to be a disturbance across the road in line with the yellow X. Would the road have been excavated to run duct across? If the cable is coming under the ditch where the poles are there is going to be a near right angle if it's crossing at that disturbance. Is there any access chamber (manhole) maybe buried under foliage around there?

Well spotted!
    There does appear to be a line 'of weakness' across the road heading towards that yellow 'X' which might indicate a cut across the road some time back and the road surface is now a bit weaker on that line.

There is definitely a disturbance there. You can see the old track where the road was dug up at some point.

My neighbour is the brother of the guy who built my house so I'm going to make contact with him and see if I can find out some more.

I'll also get a dig around at both sides of the road and see if I can find any access point.

So standing in my way are:

*potential 90° angle at the roadside
    *buried duct end beside the house
    *probable break in the duct requiring digging up the garden

An overhead line is sounding tempting but I wouldn't dare tell the boss lady.

The KN guy if he's used to doing PSTN or FTTC may have a cable tracer to identify your copper cable. Although I think a lot of the guys installing fibre are new and have little or no experience with copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You might also have the possibility of a pole somewhere near the yellow ' X ' (front corner of site) and duct from there into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Down to 3mb here from 900mb+
    A fault

• Advertisement

If pole 1 is close to the house i don't see how 2 and 3 are even possible contenders
    Is the connection underground

Down to 3mb here from 900mb+
    A fault

Is that a question? Probably, phone tech support

If pole 1 is close to the house i don't see how 2 and 3 are even possible contenders

Yeah everything is underground. Pole 1 and 2 I can't find any ducts running from near their base. And pole 1 was newly installed in place of an old one so I would have thought they'd know if my line had been coming from it.

Pole 3 has 2 lines going into black duct and then disappearing underground. The same kind of black duct that is under my garden, which is why I thought that might be my source.

Pole 1 is odd. There is a cable coming up from underground connected to that white box. I'm nearly certain that has nothing to do with the fibre but I am unsure what it is. I've never come across one anyway. There does not seem to be a copper drop going down from the top of pole 1, only the fibre cable is visible to me.

Yeah everything is underground. Pole 1 and 2 I can't find any ducts running from near their base. And pole 1 was newly installed in place of an old one so I would have thought they'd know if my line had been coming from it.

Pole 3 has 2 lines going into black duct and then disappearing underground. The same kind of black duct that is under my garden, which is why I thought that might be my source.

There is definitely a duct coming from pole 1. That galvanised cover is covering ducting going underground but as I said I don't know what that box is. You didn't have any special type of phone line or any unusual?

This is a ftth install?

There is definitely a duct coming from pole 1. That galvanised cover is covering ducting going underground but as I said I don't know what that box is. You didn't have any special type of phone line or any unusual?

Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll try to post better pics of the poles, lines and boxes tomorrow.

This is a ftth install?

Yup

3 looks to have the DP, on phone, but looks a long way away
    The cabling looks confusing there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

A problem caused by the Chinese and fixed by the Chinese.

F2000 pos

Vs

HG658c

Funnily enough I didn't have to change any settings at all. I was expecting to have to spend 5-10 minutes

Put back in the F2000, yep it's gone to sh!te.

Tomorrow I shall invest in a good Linksys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement