Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    3 looks to have the DP, on phone, but looks a long way away

He's trying to find his duct. The inept KN man could not locate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You know the 2000 is a 659 right?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll try to post better pics of the poles, lines and boxes tomorrow.

See is there any writing on that white box. I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

See is there any writing on that white box. I'm intrigued.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He's trying to find his duct. The inept KN man could not locate it.

That's what I'm saying, where is his current line coming from

• Advertisement

3 looks to have the DP, on phone, but looks a long way away
    The cabling looks confusing there

Yeah 3 has a DP. There is also one back the other way.
    456773.jpg

That's what I'm saying, where is his current line coming from

That's what he's trying to ascertain.

That is a lot closer, on phone hard tó see properly tho. Obviously you have been assigned the other dp

See what the civils guy says when he comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ED E wrote: »
    You know the 2000 is a 659 right?

I knew they were similar. I got that Vodafone router last month for free off Vodafone for ADSL. I had a fault on the line and you just have to go through the whole change the router BS before a tech comes out and digs his heels. The fault eventually gets fixed a week to a month later.

Couldn't match the little Netopia at 2.7mb. Pathetic 1.4mb synch.

Thankfully there was no renewal of contract. Gave my 30 day notice yesterday.

Actually have a few ADSL1/2 of routers here if the unfortunate people on here need any and are ever in the Thurles area.

Belkin N600
    Netgear N300
    Linksys WRT54GS
    Zyxel 1000 (bought from eircom store when i first joined Vodafone to replace the dreadful Huawei yolk).

• Advertisement

Will do.

If you want to PM me your Eircode I can ask a friend to check if the ducting in the area may be mapped. Some areas are, some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

20180726_231216.jpg

Pole 2 was also ruled out.
    20180726_231343.jpg
    Where does that thinner cable (left) on pole 2 go, looks like copper line to a house with the trunk cable beside it, both connected to that white junction box?

Also there appears to be a saggy copper line between pole 2 & 3, coming from that junction box on pole 2, where does this go.

If I was to guess your line comes from pole 2 and takes a right angle bend to your house with another line to another house further down also from pole 2 via pole 3.

The 2 copper trunk cables on pole 3, are they joined at a junction box on that pole and is there any smaller cable exiting from that box going to any of the houses?

Pole 1 is odd. There is a cable coming up from underground connected to that white box. I'm nearly certain that has nothing to do with the fibre but I am unsure what it is. I've never come across one anyway. There does not seem to be a copper drop going down from the top of pole 1, only the fibre cable is visible to me.

That white box on pole 1 looks just like a junction box for a potential overhead copper drop to a house, I see them in my area where the main copper line is underground and a line is run from the underground cable to a junction box on a nearby pole with the drop line from the box to the house.

The difference in my area is they have also run the fibre u/g with the splice box on the pole for an overhead drop. New manholes were built at base of these poles when the fibre was being run, not sure what u/g access was there when it was only copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Did the KN guy open any of the terminal boxes on the poles? Thought they could make your phone ring from that terminal box or else know when your phone receiver is lifted ready for dialling, also from that terminal box. Or are they allowed open those boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did the KN guy open any of the terminal boxes on the poles? Thought they could make your phone ring from that terminal box or else know when your phone receiver is lifted ready for dialling, also from that terminal box. Or are they allowed open those boxes?

They are allowed to, they use toners to find pairs all the time.

More importantly if they were reading the records the cable path should have been recorded. Records could be wrong but DrPhilG doesnt mention any talk of that.

This is basic basic stuff. Shouldnt be an issue but this is what happens when kango operators are sent to do telco work.

Bear with me, have a few files to upload...

Hope you folks enjoy the mystery tour...  Thanks for all the advice and info.  If nothing else, I'll be better able to direct the KN guys next time they are here.

OK, this is pole 1 up close.
    456813.png

This is the white box as requested.
    456811.png

This is the base of that pole which as I say was recently inserted in place of an older skinnier one.
    456810.png

This is pole 2
    456816.png

This is the base of pole 2, am I mistaken or does this look like some concrete, maybe where is an entrance or access?  I'll look more closely tomorrow.
    456812.png

This are the boxes on pole 2
    456814.png

And the duct/lines on pole 2.
    456815.png

Pole 3
    456820.png
    456819.png

The lines entering 2 ducts
    456818.png

And where those 2 ducts disappear underground.
    456817.png

This is the other DP in the area, there are 2 houses connected overhead to that pole and the only other house down that side of the road I presume is getting an underground feed from the same one.

456824.jpg

After those 3 houses, there is my house and then one other neighbour who is directly opposide pole 3.

That was why my thinking was that the DP down the road served those first 3 houses, then the second one (at pole 3) was for myself and the neighbour.

Last but not least, the overview.
    456825.png

From those images the thin cable on pole two looks like the only drop wire to a home that you have posted. The other cables all seem too thick. Did you check for an access chamber around the road disturbance?

From those images the thin cable on pole two looks like the only drop wire to a home that you have posted. The other cables all seem too thick. Did you check for an access chamber around the road disturbance?

Not yet. Just took a picture of what seemed like some concrete in the field near the disturbance.

Only had a few minutes before heading to work this morning but I'll get a proper dig around over the weekend.

• Advertisement

From the pictures this appears to be the situation, the drop wire on pole 2 comes from the small white junction box on pole 3, the sagging copper cable between the two poles. It drops down to the small upper junction box on pole 2 and from there goes behind the larger trunk cable junction box and from there underground. The trunk junction boxes on poles 1 & 2 don't appear to be used.

The Cush wrote: »
    From the pictures this appears to be the situation, the drop wire on pole 2 comes from the small white junction box on pole 3, the sagging copper cable between the two poles. It drop down to the small upper junction box on pole 2 and from there goes behind the larger trunk cable junction box and from there underground. The trunk junction boxes on poles 1 & 2 don't appear to be used.

So you were right in your opinion last night that his drop is from pole 2.

So you were right in your opinion last night that his drop is from pole 2.

but starts from pole 3.

Sherlock Holmes wouldn't have a look in.

Thanks folks.

So if I manage to shove a duct rod from the break in the garden out towards the poles, it will either jam up at the tight angle across the road, or pop up at pole 2?

The Cush wrote: »
    but starts from pole 3.

That's overhead though right? If so that's irrelevant as he'll have been assigned a DP for fibre and they'll bring it overhead to whichever pole his ducting begins. Although all this may be moot unless there an access point somewhere near where the cable crosses the road. It's going to be very difficult to get rods through if the duct is bent at nearly 90°.

Sherlock Holmes wouldn't have a look in.

Thanks folks.

So if I manage to shove a duct rod from the break in the garden out towards the poles, it will either jam up at the tight angle across the road, or pop up at pole 2?

Definitely check for an access chamber. I've seen cases where instead of using one piece of duct builders have used separate pieces, unjoined, to form a right angle. If this is the case you're screwed without digging down.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I had a 25mm duct installed in my attic last night, but it was so wet, we couldn't drill a hole in the wall. Its all the way through the attic and reemerges at the top of the landing, 25mm duct, one bend.

That should male it simple, hopefully. Overhead connection for me for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭JasonRyan

A problem caused by the Chinese and fixed by the Chinese.

F2000 pos

Vs

HG658c

Funnily enough I didn't have to change any settings at all. I was expecting to have to spend 5-10 minutes

Put back in the F2000, yep it's gone to sh!te.

Tomorrow I shall invest in a good Linksys

What model Linksys are you thinking of? Must replace the F2000 myself...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0728/981672-national-broadband-plan/

Part of the consortium that was the only bidder to deliver the Government’s National Broadband Plan (NBP) has pulled out of the tendering process.
    RTÉ News has learned that SSE is withdrawing from the consortium with Enet, who were the final bidders for the tender after Eir withdrew from the process earlier this year.
    In a statement, the chairman of the Enet consortium, David McCourt, said while he could not comment on the NBP process, the consortium is "considering and reviewing structures" to ensure the "optimum response to the tender process".
    Looks like some people may have even longer to wait for faster internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Looks like some people may have even longer to wait for faster internet.

I’m so glad I got included in the rural rollout, and feel so bad for those stuck in the NBP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement