Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

Looks like some people may have even longer to wait for faster internet.

And to think eir are starting to rollout fibre to two households on my road, and the rest of us will be stuck in the dark ages on <2mb, well at least there's a three mast 300 metres away, "at least"

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

The only answer to nbp is to pay eir to rollout.

Theyre the only people with the man power, experience and infrastructure

As much as i dont like them they are the only show in town

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The only answer to nbp is to pay eir to rollout.

Theyre the only people with the man power, experience and infrastructure

As much as i dont like them they are the only show in town

Perhaps Eir can now at least fill in the gaps along their 300k rural routes. Nothing to stop them now from running the fibre a little bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snes1000

On the fibrerollout website the yellow line passes by the house, but when inputting the post code into the site, this message shows up "As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP)."
    Should I believe the yellow line or the message?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snes1000 wrote: »
    On the fibrerollout website the yellow line passes by the house, but when inputting the post code into the site, this message shows up "As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP)."

Most likely true that you are outside where Eir plan to target but the line of text about the NBP is now out of date as the NBP is now most likely dead with all bidders withdrawn from the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I expect Enet to remain in the process for some little time yet, in the hope that the gov will now more fully subsidise the roll out of NBP, with much less concern about the final cost.

I also wonder if this proposed 'NBP Company' which would then be in full ownership of Enet, could sell some shares to being a partner on board to help with the roll out.

I think there might be some life in it yet ....... IF the gov give up the idea of saving cost and properly fund the roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Cant change the terms of the NBP now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

fritzelly wrote: »
    Cant change the terms of the NBP now

The figures are not set ....... else what was all the negotiation about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Try emailing open Eir with your post code see what they say fiberpower@openeir.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It could go either way. The best indication is if you can see work taking place close to your home. Have the poles been replaced, is there new fibre cables at the top of the poles and most importantly is there one of these

453515.jpg

relatively close to your home? Are you at the end of the yellow line?

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    Try emailing open Eir with your post code see what they say fiberpower@openeir.ie

That's not even accurate. AidenL was told he was in the NBP by that account and he has since been passed by fibre.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106031686&postcount=152

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snes1000

It could go either way. The best indication is if you can see work taking place close to your home. Have the poles been replaced, is there new fibre cables at the top of the poles and most importantly is there one of these

relatively close to your home? Are you at the end of the yellow line?
    Yeah there's two of them pretty close and I'm nowhere near the end of the line.
    So I'm guessing I'm covered and the site is wrong, I'll probably find out within the next few weeks anyways.

Yeah there's two of them pretty close and I'm nowhere near the end of the line.
    So I'm guessing I'm covered and the site is wrong, I'll probably find out within the next few weeks anyways.

There's a few possibilities.

1) You are covered and everything is fine.

2) If your house is relatively new there is a chance it was missed when the network was being designed. How old is your home?

3) You are not covered. This seems unlikely given that they have deployed fibre all around you.

What results do you get when trying a neighbour's Eircode (one which is showing as in coverage on fibrerollout.ie) on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

KN engineer came to house this morning to install. Tested the box on the pole, but said our area wasn't active yet. Second call that morning that was the same. Anyone else ever have that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KN engineer came to house this morning to install.  Tested the box on the pole, but said our area wasn't active yet.  Second call that morning that was the same.  Anyone else ever have that?
    Same for me.  He said he would put a job in for it and I got an email shortly afterwards to say that it would be live on August 4th and to call again for a new appointment.

I had noticed that with us, the fibre is up for every house that will get it but the fibre isnt actually connected to the cabinet, there are maybe 400-500m of poles without fibre actually hung that connect to the cabinet, I wonder is that whats happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

KN engineer came to house this morning to install. Tested the box on the pole, but said our area wasn't active yet. Second call that morning that was the same. Anyone else ever have that?

"underground cable issue" Eir just said. 30th of August again they can come look. Whole area down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

"underground cable issue" Eir just said. 30th of August again they can come look. Whole area down.

Keep an eye on Airwires product check. The eircode may go to "No ports available" in the next few days and that tells you that the whole segment is out due to a build fault ... (they can hardly have it filled up, if it just went live).

Happened with Castlegregory, Kerry. Went live, the day after it went live went to "ports full" and then about 2 months later became available again.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Anyone have any info on the Fivemilebridge area in Cork? KN have been around for the last few weeks doing cable work on the main road but have no other details. Date on OpenEir rollout map was first half of 2018 then changed a few weeks ago to second half of 2018.

spillcoe wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on the Fivemilebridge area in Cork? KN have been around for the last few weeks doing cable work on the main road but have no other details. Date on OpenEir rollout map was first half of 2018 then changed a few weeks ago to second half of 2018.

3-6 months after the cable work is done normally. Sometimes quicker.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Just noticed them in past few weeks stringing up fiber from Oughterard, Galway to Glengowla West (a couple of miles of a westerly run)

Hard to spot any splice/DP box along the route, though. Interesting how taut they have that fiber!

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

westyIrl wrote: »
    Just noticed them in past week stringing up fiber from Oughterard, Galway to Glengowla West (a couple of miles of a westerly run)

Hard to spot any splice/DP box along the route, though. Interesting how taut they have that fiber!

Jim

It's the only thing keeping some of the poles upright around ours. Seemingly in the rush to roll out fibre, throwing it up on wonky poles is ok.... Maybe at some point they'll return to replace them.

Just noticed them in past few weeks stringing up fiber from Oughterard, Galway to Glengowla West (a couple of miles of a westerly run)

Hard to spot any splice/DP box along the route, though. Interesting how taut they have that fiber, no slack at all.

Jim

A lot of that stretch is going live 8.8.2018 ... next week.

/M

Eir seem to have noticed that usage figures disapeared for some people

https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/my-eir-broadband-usage-display-issue/
    "my eir" Broadband Usage Display Issue
    26/07/2018
    The broadband usage display in "my eir" is not showing real-time information for some customers on data allowances. We are working on a solution and expect this to be resolved on 1st August 2018. Your broadband data allowance remains as per the plan you signed up to.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

MBSnr wrote: »
    It's the only thing keeping some of the poles upright around ours. Seemingly in the rush to roll out fibre, throwing it up on wonky poles is ok.... Maybe at some point they'll return to replace them.

On the Glann road, they haven't even cleared the Ivy on some of the poles, meaning it's now a hoist job to connect a house, when such a pole is involved.

There's also already a tree hanging on top of both fiber and copper on the northern segment of the Glann Road ... so fiber and copper are not 3ft from the road .. and that's the more recent rollout.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Marlow wrote: »
    On the Glann road, they haven't even cleared the Ivy on some of the poles, meaning it's now a hoist job to connect a house, when such a pole is involved.

There's also already a tree hanging on top of both fiber and copper on the northern segment of the Glann Road ... so fiber and copper are not 3ft from the road .. and that's the more recent rollout.

/M

I guess it's a rushed job to get it up. The install out the Clifden Road leaves a bit to desired too. It'll pulled through clumps of branches out near Leam, zero clearing/triming done though i did see a pole or two being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I had noticed that with us, the fibre is up for every house that will get it but the fibre isnt actually connected to the cabinet, there are maybe 400-500m of poles without fibre actually hung that connect to the cabinet, I wonder is that whats happening?

Quite a bit of work to be done two weeks before Available date.

Id see that slipping I would think....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I ordered in May and no light at the DP. Took until the 25th July to get it. Weather can delay it, holidays etc. Its an exceptional service and well worth the two month wait.

People just need to have a little patience as you're very lucky your getting a service that most people in rural Ireland (NBP 500k) can only dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I ordered in May and no light at the DP. Took until the 25th July to get it. Weather can delay it, holidays etc. Its an exceptional service and well worth the two month wait.

People just need to have a little patience as you're very lucky your getting a service that most people in rural Ireland (NBP 500k) can only dream of.

Yep, I agree, 1000 meg download possibility is a dream for now, but within touching distance. I have good patience !

• Advertisement

Interesting how taut they have that fiber!

Jim

When they first installed the fibres around here they were as taut as banjo strings!
    Then they came around and replaced them with new fibre that was not so taut, I reckon that the previous contractor used to put up fences for a living, and pulled them so tight that it damaged the fibres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement