Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Eir remains committed to its rural fibre rollout and will complete the project towards the end of the first half of 2019.

This is about six months behind the original target, but in line with a backstop date we had agreed with the department in the event of unforeseen delays.

Official confirmation from eir that the end 2018 deadline will not be met. Apparently 30000 extra premises to be included though.
    As Eir has proceeded with its rural fibre rollout, it has picked up and passed additional premises above and beyond those agreed with the (department)

gives lie to the idea here that the number of premises were locked down.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farming-news/115000-country-homes-lose-out-on-broadband-as-companies-split-37170624.html

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭JasonRyan

A problem caused by the Chinese and fixed by the Chinese.

F2000 pos

Vs

HG658c

Funnily enough I didn't have to change any settings at all. I was expecting to have to spend 5-10 minutes

Put back in the F2000, yep it's gone to sh!te.

Tomorrow I shall invest in a good Linksys

Did you get another router like you planned?
    I need to replace the F2000 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Official confirmation from eir that the end 2018 deadline will not be met. Apparently 30000 extra premises to be included though.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/115000-country-homes-lose-out-on-broadband-as-companies-split-37170270.html

Wonder if/when we'll see maps updated with these additional 30,000 homes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/115000-country-homes-lose-out-on-broadband-as-companies-split-37170270.html

I get a 404 for that link :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Is it possible that the 30,000 extra homes are not in the NBP but inside the 300k areas?

I know in ballyshannon they are connecting people who are in the green area that wasnt planned for fibre, im sure theyre free to offer whatever they want outside the NBP and maybe there is a restriction to adding services in the NBP area

Can you order FTTH with Eir before the actual go live date?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I was in the NBP though.
    Is it possible that the 30,000 extra homes are not in the NBP but inside the 300k areas?

I know in ballyshannon they are connecting people who are in the green area that wasnt planned for fibre, im sure theyre free to offer whatever they want outside the NBP and maybe there is a restriction to adding services in the NBP area

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Can you order FTTH with Eir before the actual go live date?

For any of the providers, it depends on the sales guy. The order can not be placed with OpenEIR until the go live date.

So, if you order before hand, you'll have to hope that the sales guy doesn't forget to put your order in on the day.

Some providers have a system in place for this.

/M

AidenL wrote: »
    I was in the NBP though.

We were in the NBP until eir sucked up the 300k, I think they are talking about the current NBP area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

As of today, I’m still showing as in the current NBP, with an amber dot in a green ‘fibre enabled’ area though? I mean on the NBP map.
    We were in the NBP until eir sucked up the 300k, I think they are talking about the current NBP area

AidenL wrote: »
    As of today, I’m still showing as in the current NBP, with an amber dot in a green ‘fibre enabled’ area though? I mean on the NBP map.

Ah sorry, you are correct

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Will you be able to offer the correctly termed 'unlimited' (no cap no FUP) to new customers just as eir is NOW doing?

Will you be able to offer the correctly termed 'unlimited' to new customers just as eir is doing?

Airwire has never had any hidden exceptions on our broadband products. We've always been straight forward with that it either has no cap .. which literally means knock yourself out .. or we have clearly defined a cap.

The caps we have on the fiber products are currently adequately for the pricing that we offer and what happens when you hit the cap is clearly defined. Eir even increased the prices on their standalone products, as they removed the cap.

And opposed to Eir, if we make changes to our packages that will benefit current customers, these will also apply to these even if they are in contract, automatically. No need to contact us.

Having said that, we are always reviewing our products as per the market. Currently, our products are still some of the most competitive priced packages on the market. Try to find better value. That means looking price, quality of the network (upstream connectivy / contention), quality of the support, router, etc. all combined. I'm happy to hear about suggestions, if you find a better offer with all of that in mind.

The no cap, no FUP you are referring to, is only to new subscriptions with Eir, require a new contract and if you're already in contract they are not available to you. So it's a limited subset of customers they are available to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I still haven't contacted Eir about renewing a contract. For the past few months I have been waiting to see what changes take place in the market.

Eir's prices have increased for the standalone service weather your on a new contract or not, the only difference is current contract customers or those who haven't renewed are not welcome to the uncapped product.

I have been thinking recently about switching to Digiweb, so far no signs of them removing the 1tb FUP, while they may not enforce it quite as strictly as Eir were doing, it's still a tight FUP at the end of the day and is off putting, when I can just nenew with Eir for an uncapped connection.

I'll give it a few more weeks to see if anything changes then I'll resign with Eir if nothing changes in the meantime.

Airwire has never had any hidden exceptions on our broadband products. We've always been straight forward with that it either has no cap .. which literally means knock yourself out .. or we have clearly defined a cap.

The caps we have on the fiber products are currently adequately for the pricing that we offer and what happens when you hit the cap is clearly defined. Eir even increased the prices on their standalone products, as they removed the cap.

And opposed to Eir, if we make changes to our packages that will benefit current customers, these will also apply to these even if they are in contract, automatically. No need to contact us.

Having said that, we are always reviewing our products as per the market. Currently, our products are still some of the most competitive priced packages on the market. Try to find better value. That means looking price, quality of the network (upstream connectivy / contention), quality of the support, router, etc. all combined. I'm happy to hear about suggestions, if you find a better offer with all of that in mind.

The no cap, no FUP you are referring to, is only to new subscriptions with Eir, require a new contract and if you're already in contract they are not available to you. So it's a limited subset of customers they are available to.

Yes I was well aware of all that info ...... was asking if the eir 'new deal' was likely to cause you to change your schemes.
    Thanks for the answer ...... 'not at present, but it could happen in future' would be my understanding.
    That's fine ..... was just wondering.

Thanks for responding.

'not at present, but it could happen in future'

Correct. Traditionally we have always been completely unlimited on all packages.

But when starting to offer products on complete new technology (to us) we need to see, how much of an impact it has first. We started offering FTTH products last year.

So far we've only see very few people ever hit the limits we set.

As we go on, the limits obviously will be revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Gonzo wrote: »
    I still haven't contacted Eir about renewing a contract. For the past few months I have been waiting to see what changes take place in the market.

Eir's prices have increased for the standalone service weather your on a new contract or not, the only difference is current contract customers or those who haven't renewed are not welcome to the uncapped product.

I have been thinking recently about switching to Digiweb, so far no signs of them removing the 1tb FUP, while they may not enforce it quite as strictly as Eir were doing, it's still a tight FUP at the end of the day and is off putting, when I can just nenew with Eir for an uncapped connection.

I'll give it a few more weeks to see if anything changes then I'll resign with Eir if nothing changes in the meantime.

I'm not touching Eir and probably going with Digiweb as well. It was the included UK & Irish mobile calls that swung it for me over Airwire. A fiver extra a month for mobile calls - no brainer.
    If I was getting internet only then Westnet would be the cheapest for me, but they aren't offering a phone option and their website is still out of date (which Paul acknowledged months ago...) but unfortunately these little things put that element of doubt in your mind and make all the difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MBSnr wrote: »
    I'm not touching Eir and probably going with Digiweb as well. It was the included UK & Irish mobile calls that swung it for me over Airwire. A fiver extra a month for mobile calls - no brainer.
    If I was getting internet only then Westnet would be the cheapest for me, but they aren't offering a phone option and their website is still out of date (which Paul acknowledged months ago...) but unfortunately these little things put that element of doubt in your mind and make all the difference.

Digiweb are definitely my preferred option due to price (they are now cheaper than Eir), and the modem is a big plus. Their 1tb FUP is a deal breaker tho.

Unfortunately Westnet is not available to the vast majority of the country and Airwire mainly operate in the western part of the country.

When I got FTTH installed I got the copper phone line disconnected as I really don't require a phone line anymore.

• Advertisement

Airwire mainly operate in the western part of the country.

That's actually a common misconception. We have interconnects with OpenEIR in a good few places. West, east, north and south. And customers from Donegal and Dublin to Cork and Kerry.

We are actually present in Dublin and also serving Carrickmines and soon Celbridge, Maynooth and Kilcock on for example SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Will you be able to offer the correctly termed 'unlimited' (no cap no FUP) to new customers just as eir is NOW doing?

To be fair to Airwire, they are upfront about their limit - not promising "unlimited" and then not delivering it.

And if you want more than 1Tb, they have a reasonable offer on how you can get more - €10 for 0.5Tb, valid for a period of 6 months. Certainly reasonable when you compare it to what Eir charge existing customers when they go over their limit.

Anyway, it looks as if I won't be able to get FTTH until well into 2019. Who knows what offers will be there then. But I will certainly consider Airwire, when the time comes.

That's actually a common misconception. We have interconnects with OpenEIR in a good few places. West, east, north and south. And customers from Donegal and Dublin to Cork and Kerry.

We are actually present in Dublin and also serving Carrickmines and soon Celbridge, Maynooth and Kilcock on for example SIRO.

Do you serve Dunshaughlin?

My Eircode is still not passing for FTTH on any provider, only the telephone number passes for it and have had FTTH for about 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

My Eircode is still not passing for FTTH on any provider, only the telephone number passes for it and have had FTTH for about 15 months.

Unless you have a generic address the eircode isn't needed but strange it hasn't been merged with your address yet.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    To be fair to Airwire, they are upfront about their limit - not promising "unlimited" and then not delivering it.

And if you want more than 1Tb, they have a reasonable offer on how you can get more - €10 for 0.5Tb, valid for a period of 6 months. Certainly reasonable when you compare it to what Eir charge existing customers when they go over their limit.

Yes indeed ...... and I have previously posted a compliment to Airwire on that very subject. I was most impressed with the clarity of the pricing on their website.
    Anyway, it looks as if I won't be able to get FTTH until well into 2019. Who knows what offers will be there then. But I will certainly consider Airwire, when the time comes.

Your eircode not passing doesn't matter. We can also find you with the phone number. Just not the way our checker works.

OpenEir are still using a different underlying numbering and there are over 3000 passed premises that don't even have eircodes in their database.

Dunshaughlin is in the zones, that we cover, yes. Only OpenEIR though.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I live in Galway, your engineer came and he couldn't get signal

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I live in Galway, your engineer came and he couldn't get signal

That's for fixed wireless right ? Fixed wireless is tricky like that: if there is anything in the way between you and the mast, then you can't get a connection.

The same goes for SIRO: if your premise has been ESB connected by direct buried cable and you're not in an area where alternative cabling has been used (surface ran fibre for example), then you won't get SIRO even though every neighbor may be able to get it.

And for OpenEIR: if you're more than 50-60m from the road, it's very likely, that they won't cover you and you got left out in the rollout.

There are limitations to every rollout. We try every angle we can, to facility every customer we can. But sometimes that is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And for OpenEIR: if you're more than 50-60m from the road, it's very likely, that they won't cover you and you got left out in the rollout.

That's not really true - know of many premises well over 100m that have been connected no problem (might have taken a bit of time to be done)

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's not really true - know of many premises well over 100m that have been connected no problem (might have taken a bit of time to be done)

I stated "very likely". We have also seen a lot of places like that completely left out. Especially when they had no phone line in place at the time of the rollout.

OpenEIR will only do overhead spans if the house is within 50m of the nearest pole. That means, if your house is more than 50m from your property boundaries and no poles or ducting are in place, then they "forget" about you.

We have unfortunately seen a lot like these scenarios. Sometimes, we've been able to rectify this. But there has also been a lot of places, where the answer simply was "no".

We've even seen clusters of houses left out with DPs in front of them, simply because the mapping by OpenEIR wasn't done right. There is a whole stretch of houses outside Kinvara, that were all enabled but not on fibrerollout.ie nor in OpenEIRs database. And that's only one example. Lucky for those is, that we actually are on the ground pointing these issues out to OpenEIR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement