Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's wrong, many places have had poles installed to facilitate the fibre install (I'm talking max 3 poles - beyond that no chance unless you have ducting in place, in fact there is some on here who have the exact same scenario) Will pull up some examples tomorrow.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's wrong, many places have had poles installed to facilitate the fibre install (I'm talking max 3 poles - beyond that no chance unless you have ducting in place, in fact there is some on here who have the exact same scenario) Will pull up some examples tomorrow.

OpenEIR have a clear guideline on this ever since the drop point indictators were introduced (in December, I believe): if you're not within 50m of the DP, RN, PL .. so the drop point, road networks or pole, then you can't get an overhead installation. They've been very strict about this.

I don't doubt, that you find examples, where they've gone overhead with up to 3 or 4 poles to a premise. But it's quite rare. And there are lots of premises, where they've simply refused to bring the connection in. If you were not listed as part of the rollout and more than 50-60m from the road, your chances get less and less, the further you are from said road.

In my experience, we've managed to get less than 50% of those households back into the rollout. So I don't see, where my statement is wrong. I only stated, that it's very likely, that you get left out. I didn't state, that it was impossible to get connected.

If that was the case, then AidenL wouldn't get FTTH either now, just as a known example of success here.

Maybe I misread what you meant

Maybe I misread what you meant

The ones that they've listed, they have been connected. No discussion to be had.

The ones that they left out on fibrerollout.ie either because they were build after the planning excercise, got overlooked, had no eircode, didn't have an existing phone line or whatever reason, have been rather difficult to get added back in.

Even the scenario, where we've found houses with a DP outside their doorstep, but they're not listed on fibrerollout.ie, have been difficult enough to add back in. It takes time, documentation and a lot of discussion.

OpenEIRs database requires a lot of work, which is not surprising. TIS dates back to 1972 I believe and is still in use for the majority of their products including FTTH. That's also the reason, that different product checks can give different results.

Most providers only use the Advanced Prequalification file, that is passed to us weekly. We also use 3 other database tables that give us access to eircodes, all the indexed FTTH passed premises disregadless of them being ready yet and a custom table that deals with anomalies, that we've come across but haven't been able to rectify upstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OpenEIRs database requires a lot of work, which is not surprising. TIS dates back to 1972 I believe and is still in use for the majority of their products including FTTH.

Long live TIS. It may be old, it may be rudimentary, but its still a country mile better than everything they've deployed since :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Long live TIS. It may be old, it may be rudimentary, but its still a country mile better than everything they've deployed since :rolleyes:

Like navigating teletext with your remote - literally

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Like navigating teletext with your remote - literally

Don't give out about AS400 mainframes. I used to have one of the more modern units in the boot of my BMW to weigh the back down in the winters (especially 2009/2010), so i actually could go anywhere. Less messy than bags of cement or sand.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

That's actually a common misconception. We have interconnects with OpenEIR in a good few places. West, east, north and south. And customers from Donegal and Dublin to Cork and Kerry.

We are actually present in Dublin and also serving Carrickmines and soon Celbridge, Maynooth and Kilcock on for example SIRO.

Kilkenny by any chance? :)

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Kilkenny by any chance? :)

For OpenEIR yes. For SIRO it's not quite sure yet, if we're going to bring Kilkenny and Carlow onto our network.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

For OpenEIR yes. For SIRO it's not quite sure yet, if we're going to bring Kilkenny and Carlow onto our network.

Excellent. Thanks. It's OpenEir FTTH. I'll be in touch once we have electricity back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Gonzo wrote: »
    Digiweb are definitely my preferred option due to price (they are now cheaper than Eir), and the modem is a big plus. Their 1tb FUP is a deal breaker tho.e.

Just ordered with Digiweb over the phone as my area went live today. Have to see what happens on the 1TB limit...

Also I hope that the DP is live....:P Off to the hire shop this weekend to get a flexible rod set to check the duct. I'm sure it's ok but I just don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just ordered with Digiweb over the phone as my area went live today. Have to see what happens on the 1TB limit...

Also I hope that the DP is live....:P Off to the hire shop this weekend to get a flexible rod set to check the duct. I'm sure it's ok but I just don't know...

I was looking at them but the disconnection claus turned me off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Round 2 tomorrow in attempting to get my duct clear and a line through.

Have a drain clearance guy coming. He has cctv drain cameras so hopefully he'll he able to get into the duct and will also dig up the breakage if needed. Then hopefully we'll track down the mystery pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

What area are you in MBSnr?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

.... left out on fibrerollout.ie either because they were build after the planning excercise, got overlooked, had no eircode, didn't have an existing phone line or whatever reason, have been rather difficult to get added back in.

Apologies if this has been covered already in the pages and pages of discussion, but can you explain the significance of an existing phone line in this context?

Would a house that's never been connected to a landline be ignored so to speak?
    What about a house where the phone line was connected temporarily to test the quality of the line and disconnected shortly after?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    What area are you in MBSnr?

Our line is from the exchange in Cong.

Are you nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ArrBee wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered already in the pages and pages of discussion, but can you explain the significance of an existing phone line in this context?

Would a house that's never been connected to a landline be ignored so to speak?
    What about a house where the phone line was connected temporarily to test the quality of the line and disconnected shortly after?

No the majority should not be ignored. Martin is referring to a specific circumstance where a premises would be a long distance from a distribution point and because it never had a phoneline the pole or duct infrastructure would not be in place to get the drop fibre cable to the premises.

Our line is from the exchange in Cong.

Are you nearby?

Line coming from Corrandulla exchange. According to Airwire site it’s due to go live on 8th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Line coming from Corrandulla exchange. According to Airwire site it’s due to go live on 8th August.

Its highly unlikely to go live on that date. Pencil in about two months for it to be installed successfully. When the eircom salesmem call around to your door its 3 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fibre went live from Newmarket-on-Fergus exchange on 25th July (not sure is all or part only).

But, I thought this strange ....... some days later an eir rep was calling door to door selling the new service, and then some days after that another eir rep called door to door apparently checking if the first rep had called!

That implies to me that the 'take up' from the first call must be very small indeed, to warrant a 'supervisory' call by a second company employee.

Is there a different explanation?

• Advertisement

Its highly unlikely to go live on that date. Pencil in about two months for it to be installed successfully. When the eircom salesmem call around to your door its 3 weeks away.

Good to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Fibre went live from Newmarket-on-Fergus exchange on 25th July (not sure is all or part only).

But, I thought this strange ....... some days later an eir rep was calling door to door selling the new service, and then some days after that another eir rep called door to door apparently checking if the first rep had called!

That implies to me that the 'take up' from the first call must be very small indeed, to warrant a 'supervisory' call by a second company employee.

Is there a different explanation?

Could have been another area rep looking to take someone else's area. It was done to us. Twice. Only out the road from Newmarket too.

I was looking at the West side of Corrandulla on the N84 and they have the boxes on the poles and I've also seen the trailer they use to splice the junction boxes. Wouldn't surprise me if they that go live date is correct for at least some of the areas closer to the exchange at the N84 end. Perhaps they brought forward Corrandulla as it 's a large area?

I was looking at the West side of Corrandulla on the N84 and they have the boxes on the poles and I've also seen the trailer they use to splice the junction boxes. Wouldn't surprise me if they that go live date is correct for at least some of the areas closer to the exchange at the N84 end. Perhaps they brought forward Corrandulla as it 's a large area?

One of the largest number of houses in the rural rollout area townlands that were covered.
    They have been VERY busy over the past number of months. I've seen the splicing vans/trailers also - so hopefully we'll see it live sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Could have been another area rep looking to take someone else's area. It was done to us. Twice. Only out the road from Newmarket too.

Yes I expect so ..... although that was not the impression he gave apparently ..... said he was checking if a rep had called as he was supposed to.

Are there many in your area taking fibre, or are most content with what they have (or are in contracts)?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I spotted a fellow in an Eir van yesterday, going from pole to pole in my area. Asked him if FTTH was far away and he said that he was doing a survey of the poles, to decide if any of them needed changing, prior to installing FTTH.

FTTH is many months away, I suspect. Still, it's a tentative start anyway.

That was the first week of last April - 4 months ago. Now, I see some poles have been replaced during the last week. A long way to go yet, I suppose...still, the wheels are turning...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The date is the first day, the order can be placed by the provider. OpenEIR has to be given 5 work days notice.

Having said that, sometimes things go wrong, or they are not finished etc. and then there is delays. I've even seen areas go from the RFO date to ports not available because something went wrong with the rollout. In those cases it has taken 2-3 months to get back on track.

But for the majority of the rollouts, the date is basically 1-2 weeks before the homes then are connected.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Round 2 tomorrow in attempting to get my duct clear and a line through.

Have a drain clearance guy coming. He has cctv drain cameras so hopefully he'll he able to get into the duct and will also dig up the breakage if needed. Then hopefully we'll track down the mystery pole.
    And another failure.  Couldn't find the duct at the house end and wasn't prepared to dig the garden to find the break.

Guess what I'll be doing on Saturday evening then...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Lot of vans, spools of wire, diggers and "KN working on behalf of eir" signs around here at the moment. Hopefully this is the start of the work for the Tullynahinera area in Monaghan. Fingers crossed we don't slip too far into next year for an install, been listed as Winter 2018 for the estimate for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Just ordered eir fibre as its going live 8/8/18. Its more than likely been covered in the thread already but its a large thread to go back over. My situation is that the nearest pole is 100 yards away. That pole is above my neighbour at my western side and line runs overhead into his property. That is the last pole for at least 500 yard. It runs under ground in between these poles. The poles are to service houses that are on the other side of the road. As I said my phoneline is underground. The nearest underground box is outside my neighbor at the eastern side of me. I suppose 30/40yards below my site. Hopefully you can follow so far.
    My problem is way back when I got my phone line installed the then Eircom boys installed the phoneline through my neighbors lawn and then into the ducting I laid at the nearest point to neighbor. That was the shortest route for them. I can't remember if they used ducting or not. Its 20 years ago.
    I dont expect the install to be a success. My neighbor isn't going to dig up his lawn and I wouldn't even consider asking.
    What is the farthest they would run an over head cable from the pole on the eastern side of me although that neighbor I would imagine would not like an overhead cable running over him.
    Where do I stand or what would be the more likely scenario? Are Eir obliged to to do whatever it takes to complete the install? or is it tough luck if its not a routine install?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement