Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

codie wrote: »
    Just ordered eir fibre as its going live 8/8/18. Its more than likely been covered in the thread already but its a large thread to go back over. My situation is that the nearest pole is 100 yards away. That pole is above my neighbour at my western side and line runs overhead into his property. That is the last pole for at least 500 yard. It runs under ground in between these poles. The poles are to service houses that are on the other side of the road. As I said my phoneline is underground. The nearest underground box is outside my neighbor at the eastern side of me. I suppose 30/40yards below my site. Hopefully you can follow so far.
    My problem is way back when I got my phone line installed the then Eircom boys installed the phoneline through my neighbors lawn and then into the ducting I laid at the nearest point to neighbor. That was the shortest route for them. I can't remember if they used ducting or not. Its 20 years ago.
    I dont expect the install to be a success. My neighbor isn't going to dig up his lawn and I wouldn't even consider asking.
    What is the farthest they would run an over head cable from the pole on the eastern side of me although that neighbor I would imagine would not like an overhead cable running over him.
    Where do I stand or what would be the more likely scenario? Are Eir obliged to to do whatever it takes to complete the install? or is it tough luck if its not a routine install?

If you want to PM me your Eircode I can check to see if the area is mapped for ducting. If there is no duct under your neighbours lawn I imagine it will be a failed install. Whether they would then offer to erect new poles I am unsure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yes I expect so ..... although that was not the impression he gave apparently ..... said he was checking if a rep had called as he was supposed to.

Are there many in your area taking fibre, or are most content with what they have (or are in contracts)?

We've been live for quite a while and still haven't gone with anyone after our Eir mess. Waiting for more unlimited providers.. Around us most are taking the 150 package from Eir

We've been live for quite a while and still haven't gone with anyone after our Eir mess. Waiting for more unlimited providers.. Around us most are taking the 150 package from Eir

How long are you prepared to wait? There is no guarantee that any of the other ISPs will follow eir's lead and go unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

How long are you prepared to wait? There is no guarantee that any of the other ISPs will follow eir's lead and go unlimited.

Thing called competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

turbbo wrote: »
    Thing called competition.
    There isn't even much of that he be waiting a long time to get truly unlimited broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    There isn't even much of that he be waiting a long time to get truly unlimited broadband.

Eir have truly unlimited for new signs ups and I'd put my money on it that when Sky launch their FTTH product, that it will be truly unlimited as well. Digiweb and Pure Telecom still appear to have a 1tb cap for everyone, hopefully they will change their ways soon and offer a truly unlimited service.

I know for a fact that my next 'contract' will be for a truly unlimited product. I've had enough of watching the clock.

rob808 wrote: »

Might or might not - what's a long time? All depends. Competition guarantees there will be other offers eventually that's if you're lucky enough to have a competitive market. It's the way the world works - what might seem like a brilliant offer now may be the norm in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Might or might not - what's a long time? All depends. Competition guarantees there will be other offers eventually that's if you're lucky enough to have a competitive market. It's the way the world works - what might seem like a brilliant offer now may be the norm in a few months.
    That depends on the ISP if they can afford to go truly unlimited without dipping into there profits.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir have truly unlimited for new signs ups and I'd put my money on it that when Sky launch their FTTH product, that it will be truly unlimited as well. Digiweb and Pure Telecom still appear to have a 1tb cap for everyone, hopefully they will change their ways soon and offer a truly unlimited service.

I know for a fact that my next 'contract' will be for a truly unlimited product. I've had enough of watching the clock.

Sky's SIRO trial has apparently a 1TB FUP so I would not be so sure of them being unlimited on Openeir, if they ever launch that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Pulled the trigger with airwave today, 3TB is fairly decent.

I know it's not unlimited but don't see myself using much more than 1-2TB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Gonzo wrote: »

I suspect we are just going back to the old world of 'cat and mouse' about data limits. The problem is today Eir offer it, tomorrow the won't. I've got caught by this in the past and had the usual ISP headaches.

What you really should be calling for is a different limit to the 1tb one where limits apply.

Sure you might be a Columbo fan. :D Just saw Blurays of the 7 seasons available at 1.18TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very much doubt they will go back on this now - we are consuming more and more data
    As long as the average usage doesn't go up they can justify the unlimited allowance (unless they start having lots of guys like your man in NZ)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Calhoun wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger with airwave today

You mean Airwire ? Airwave is a wireless ISP in Cork, that doesn't do fiber :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I did the same, I was contemplating eir, as I’m still in contract, but I decided to take the hit, and go with Airwire for their great customer service, better router and I believe, better infrastructure.
    Pulled the trigger with airwave today, 3TB is fairly decent.

I know it's not unlimited but don't see myself using much more than 1-2TB.

Marlow wrote: »
    You mean Airwire ? Airwave is a wireless ISP in Cork, that doesn't do fiber :)

/M

You are correct, you know what I wondered why the website was off when I checked it.

Then Martin gave me the right one, I was kinda like wtf.

AidenL wrote: »
    I did the same, I was contemplating eir, as I’m still in contract, but I decided to take the hit, and go with Airwire for their great customer service, better router and I believe, better infrastructure.

I had a nightmare with Eir, have spent the guts of two months trying to actually order but they ****ed up my account internally and my order wasn't reaching openeir.

Then after observing Martin in this thread, I liked what I saw so I pulled the trigger.

For me they are a better deal and like Marlow said they are more competitive than eir. I also looked around but digiweb for example put me off due to the cancellation clause, and pure Telecom were a bit like " I'll tell you what you want ".

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I agree. Martin has been helpful to me, and intervened to make sure I got included in the rollout back in April. Airwires communication is second to none.

For me, its a bit more expensive, as Im still in contract, but I feel its worth the extra having thought long and hard about the costs and benefits.

Ive also upgraded my router.
    I had a nightmare with Eir, have spent the guts of two months trying to actually order but they ****ed up my account internally and my order wasn't reaching openeir.

Then after observing Martin in this thread, I liked what I saw so I pulled the trigger.

For me they are a better deal and like Marlow said they are more competitive than eir. I also looked around but digiweb for example put me off due to the cancellation clause, and pure Telecom were a bit like " I'll tell you what you want ".

AidenL wrote: »
    I agree. Martin has been helpful to me, and intervened to make sure I got included in the rollout back in April. Airwires communication is second to none.

For me, its a bit more expensive, as Im still in contract, but I feel its worth the extra having thought long and hard about the costs and benefits.

Ive also upgraded my router.

I think I may have avoided the costs as they have been dicking me around for so long.

What router did you upgrade to and how much did it set you back ?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Some of us would argue that it's not eir's lead that they'd be following... ;)

Was thinking of the words "Eir" and "Lead" in the same sentence didn't feel right

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Was thinking of the words "Eir" and "Lead" in the same sentence didn't feel right

Generally, changes within said former incumbent come about because of 2 scenarios:

- alternative providers starting to grab noticable chunks of their customers
    - new ownership

But to be calling it ahead would be taking it a bit too far. Alternative providers would not have come about, if Eir was ahead.

Generally, changes within said former incumbent come about because of 2 scenarios:

- alternative providers starting to making noticable chunks of their customers
    - new ownership

Yes of course. I know of a couple of town/cities where cable and mobile have made massive disruption to Eirs model of charging for an ancient copper network that hasn't seen any real investment over the decades.
    It has been easy money for Siro so far too. Eir is a company that has it's back against the wall - it has to improve or it won't exist into the future.

Speaking of Eir selling old rope - might be a good place to post this.....

https://twitter.com/irelandoffline/status/1025005490844192769

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Speaking of Eir selling old rope - might be a good place to post this.....

https://twitter.com/irelandoffline/status/1025005490844192769

Yeah thats gonna work - just leave one word here - unlimited

Have you noticed, that we advertise it as VDSL ?

For the exact same reasons.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yeah thats gonna work - just leave one word here - unlimited

Unlimited isn't much good if you're on fibre to the cabinet and your connection is topping out at 10mbs. It's not like you'll be eating away at the allowance.

Unlimited isn't much good if you're on fibre to the cabinet and your connection is topping out at 10mbs. It's not like you'll be eating away at the allowance.

We have one customer, that has managed 1200 GB/month on average on 3 Mbit/s. It's not the norm though.

We have one customer, that has managed 1200 GB/month on average on 3 Mbit/s. It's not the norm though.

I did 480GB on 3.5mb, due to some large game updates and I don't know what else.

1200, you would have to be non stop downloading.

:eek: amazing!

• Advertisement

Sorry Paul! It should be noted that Westnet were the first unlimited ISP on the network.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement