Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

The Fritzbox 7590 , it’s on Airwire site, so you can pay the difference as an upgrade to any of them.
    Calhoun wrote: »
    I think I may have avoided the costs as they have been dicking me around for so long.

What router did you upgrade to and how much did it set you back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

We have one customer, that has managed 1200 GB/month on average on 3 Mbit/s. It's not the norm though.

How does that work?

3Mbit/s=32GB/day=~1TB/month at full d/l capacity. Must be a beefier line surely? Pretty nuts either way.

Jim

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

We have one customer, that has managed 1200 GB/month on average on 3 Mbit/s. It's not the norm though.

I think our record for a wireless customer is just under 8TB in 28 days. That's a hotel with a dedicated point-to-point radio link, mind you.

Our heaviest FTTH user does a little under 2TB in a month on a gigabit connection.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

westyIrl wrote: »
    How does that work?

3Mbit/s=32GB/day=~1TB/month at full d/l capacity. Must be a beefier line surely? Pretty nuts either way.

On our fixed wireless network, the users get a little bit more than what we advertise. That way we don't have support calls from customers looking for the last 5-10%, that a speedtest sometimes doesn't show.
    I think our record for a wireless customer is just under 8TB in 28 days. That's a hotel with a dedicated point-to-point radio link, mind you.

Doesn't count either. As that wouldn't be your typical residential user.
    Our heaviest FTTH user does a little under 2TB in a month on a gigabit connection.

1.5-2TB is generally the highest people reach these days. But it is correct, that a tech savvy household easily breaches the 1TB limit of most providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

MBSnr wrote: »
    Our line is from the exchange in Cong.

Are you nearby?

Were you not to go live on 8th August?
    Our exchange has the same date - wondering can i order now as well given that you have managed to place an order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Were you not to go live on 8th August?
    Our exchange has the same date - wondering can i order now as well given that you have managed to place an order.

My live date was 1st Aug (Using Airwire's checker). I ordered on the 1st with Digiweb and got a text yesterday with an install date for the 8th Aug :D

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

The big badge of lines that were announced last month were staggered for 01.08., 08.08. and 15.08.

We're actually in the process of updating the database again with new Eircode data because some lines have been changed.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Doesn't count either. As that wouldn't be your typical residential user.

Yeah, fair enough. Our heaviest "normal" wireless user downloaded just shy of a terabyte last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Our area is down for completion second half of 2018. I've arranged to have the duct from the pole ready for the efibre cable when KN arrive to pull the fibre through from the pole. However I'm not sure about what happens after the fibre is pulled to the eircom box at the back door. I've attached a photo of the inside this box. A cat 6 line runs from the box to my upstairs room where it is junctioned. From the photo it is connected to the black copper wire. My question is whether the efibre wire can be connected to the existing cat 6 cable or will there need to be a separate line to take the efibre upstairs to where the cat 6 cables are junctioned? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Our area is down for completion second half of 2018. I've arranged to have the duct from the pole ready for the efibre cable when KN arrive to pull the fibre through from the pole. However I'm not sure about what happens after the fibre is pulled to the eircom box at the back door. I've attached a photo of the inside this box. A cat 6 line runs from the box to my upstairs room where it is junctioned. From the photo it is connected to the black copper wire. My question is whether the efibre wire can be connected to the existing cat 6 cable or will there need to be a separate line to take the efibre upstairs to where the cat 6 cables are junctioned? Thanks

The fibre cable cannot be connected directly to the Cat6. The fibre cable will have to be brought into the premises. It is terminated in the ODP and then connected to the ONT as below. It's Ethernet from the ONT. There needs to be power where these are located

n2yixd.jpg

Does that white pipe go all the way upstairs in one run? If there are right angles there could be issues getting the fibre through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fed up with people coming and telling me they can't fix my duct.

Bought a 50m duct rod set online. If you want it done right...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

DrPhilG wrote: »

Got a link for the one you bought?

Do let us know how it worked for you, please.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I'll dig the link up later. Got it on amazon UK for £50. I was going to hire one locally but it was £40 a day so makes more sense to buy one.

Still going to need to dig up the garden to find the break in the duct though but it shouldn't be too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The fibre cable cannot be connected directly to the Cat6. The fibre cable will have to be brought into the premises. It is terminated in the ODP and then connected to the ONT as below. It's Ethernet from the ONT. There needs to be power where these are located

n2yixd.jpg

Does that white pipe go all the way upstairs in one run? If there are right angles there could be issues getting the fibre through it.

Do you know if they can drill to get it in? I have ducting from the road to the house but from the house inside might be tight (right angle).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

n2yixd.jpg

As far as I know the pipe goes the whole way upstairs. Question is whether how to get fibre upstairs inside this pipe. I could pull up two cords using existing cat 6. Use one cord for fibre and other to pull cat 6 back down?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Calhoun wrote: »
    Do you know if they can drill to get it in? I have ducting from the road to the house but from the house inside might be tight (right angle).

If they need to drill a hole through the wall from the outside and in, to bring the cable in, they will do that no problem.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

As far as I know the pipe goes the whole way upstairs. Question is whether how to get fibre upstairs inside this pipe. I could pull up two cords using existing cat 6. Use one cord for fibre and other to pull cat 6 back down?

KN will try using duct rods but if there are tight angles they could get stuck. If you're comfortable disconnecting the Cat6 you could try using it to pull string or rope through.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

The big badge of lines that were announced last month were staggered for 01.08., 08.08. and 15.08.

We're actually in the process of updating the database again with new Eircode data because some lines have been changed.

I was thinking there's a bit of a slowdown - not a bit of movement around Ballyshannon these days, on my road at least, since the DPs were fitted.

I'm not panicking, longer it takes, I'll be closer to being out of contract with eir.

Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BKXWBN0/ref=pe_385721_222203761_TE_psd_dp_3

I'm 99% sure it will be long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks ....... but this :(
    This item does not ship to Ireland.

I hope it works well for you :)

I must measure my own duct length ..... but difficult to follow it as eircom, back in the day have it joined into their underground 'cab'.

• Advertisement

I have family in Derry to take delivery fortunately.

I'll start digging tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have family in Derry to take delivery fortunately.

I'll start digging tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find.

Business opportunity calling...

This item does not ship to Ireland.

I hope it works well for you :)

I must measure my own duct length ..... but difficult to follow it as eircom, back in the day have it joined into their underground 'cab'.

Never heard of ParcelMotel or AddressPal ? The shipping is the least of the problems.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I'll dig the link up later. Got it on amazon UK for £50. I was going to hire one locally but it was £40 a day so makes more sense to buy one.

Still going to need to dig up the garden to find the break in the duct though but it shouldn't be too hard.

I should have probably bought one as well. Too late now though. Have to pay a day and a half's hire, as it's a BH weekend and the install is next week..... The duct was broken 10 plus years ago and I've not idea how it was 'fixed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

AidenL wrote: »
    The Fritzbox 7590 , it’s on Airwire site, so you can pay the difference as an upgrade to any of them.

What do the dearer Fritzboxes do better than the cheaper ones?

If I go for 150 Mbits/sec, does it really matter which box I choose?

- Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Quick question, the fiber rollout is stopping just short of my house, but I have some farm buildings on the road that it is passing. Would they be willing to put a line into one of those, even if it isn't on the original plan. The farm is about 1km away with good line of sight so I could set up a wireless link for that and it would be a big improvement over the 2mb I currently enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would say with much certainty not gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not impossible, probably just need an eircode assigned.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    What do the dearer Fritzboxes do better than the cheaper ones?

If I go for 150 Mbits/sec, does it really matter which box I choose?

- Thanks

The standard AVM Fritz!Box 4040 used by most for FTTH can manage anything up to Gbit/s no problem, has 5 Gbit/s ports (one WAN, 4x LAN) and dual-band Wifi (2.4 + 5 GHz)

The 7560 is similar, but has added VoIP capabilities build in. 1 analog port for an old school phone, DECT base-station, VDSL modem with vectoring support, etc.

The 7590 has 2 analog extensions, 1 ISDN bus for ISDN phones, DECT base-station, VDSL modem with supervectoring support, the wifi support in the 7590 is the newest standard with 4x4 Multi-User MIMO, where multiple devices can get dedicated wifi-streams etc.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7590/

The 7x90 always have been their flagship models. So there's always something extra there. But they tend to cost a premium. Retail often over 300 EUR.

/M

• Advertisement

Bloody hell.

Just dug a 10ft long, 2ft deep trench in my garden across the area where my duct should be.

Not a damn thing to be found.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement