Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bloody hell.

Just dug a 10ft long, 2ft deep trench in my garden across the area where my duct should be.

Not a damn thing to be found.

Did you check if it was overhead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Bloody hell.

Just dug a 10ft long, 2ft deep trench in my garden across the area where my duct should be.

it could be deeper ...... I know that mine definitely goes deeper as it was put in at the same time as the electricity ducting, although not alongside it unfortunately, as that would make it easier to locate!

If you have a driveway or path there is a good chance it could be running under that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Bloody hell.

I feel some of your pain. Spent hours today digging holes looking for the ducting as the rods caught when pushed from the house to the pole. Tried from the pole to the house originally and it seemed I could get within a few feet but not to the box. After making the place look like it was carpet bombed, I decided to give going from the pole to the house one last go. I then noticed that the rods were going up the back of the box in the cavity as the ducting had a small hole at back, that by chance the rods ended up going through twice to the attic..... oh well at least the draw rope is in place now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you have a driveway or path there is a good chance it could be running under that

It goes under the garden and then under the concrete outside the house.

457552.jpg

The blue line is where I think the duct goes.

The black spot is where the guy who fixed the broken duct thinks the break is.

The orange highlight is where I've dug up.

• Advertisement

Is the blue line where you think it should be running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

it could be deeper ...... I know that mine definitely goes deeper as it was put in at the same time as the electricity ducting, although not alongside it unfortunately, as that would make it easier to locate!

Ours seems to be buried about 3ft. It just disappears down a few feet from the pole never to be found again...

My trench was hoping to find where the break was.

My only other option is to find the duct where it comes in around the pillar. The fella who fixed the line says its not very deep there so should be easier to find. Then I'll just have to dig the whole way up the garden until I find the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Would a CAT and Jenny pick up them old copper P and T lines?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is the blue line where you think it should be running

It's where the guy who found it and fixed the line before says it is (roughly).

That was 5 years ago though so I'm reliant on his memory.

If he had repaired the duct then, this might all be a bit easier!

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »

Thought crossed my mind, cat detector is a mere £90 for a 1 day hire!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Call time team.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MBSnr wrote: »
    Ours seems to be buried about 3ft. It just disappears down a few feet from the pole never to be found again...

Yes, that is the recommended depth for contractors putting in ducting, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ED E wrote: »
    Call time team.
    ]

A gradiometer is very difficult to find in a country that seizes metal detectors in Portlaoise mail centre on behalf of OPW

Why not try using one of those FM radio repeaters that are use to connect an MP3 player to you car radio by sending a weak signal that the car radio picks up.
    Have the transmitter end at the wire in the duct and tune a portable radio into the signal and follow the line until you lose reception.
    That will be close to the break.

It would be worth doing a "dry run" on a piece of wire on the ground to check sensitivity first.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

irishfeen wrote: »

Thought crossed my mind, cat detector is a mere £90 for a 1 day hire!

We had a a duct issue and our local mini digger guy had some sort of wire/cable detector which could accurately detect the existing ducts (not sure if it was detecting phone copper cable or the esb supply cable running alongside or both). This allowed him to very accurately mark duct location above ground and then dig a very neat hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Also did someone say previously on this thread that KN now provide duct resolution service for a fixed fee? (around €300 if I remember correctly).

A nice lump of cash but it’s the way to go imo via professional imo (having spent days digging/looking for ducts myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

n2yixd.jpg

Just wondering if this has to be on the inside part of the wall directly from the outside cabinet?

On the opposite side of the connection box in my house is the sitting room and there is a radiator there so I don't think I could put it directly theee.

In my house the main eircom port is around 15 meters from the outside cabinet and there is also another eircom port upstairs around 15 meters away. Will these become useless after getting the fibre installed?

I assume it will still be fine to use powerline adapters to get the signal throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomEire

Been following this thread for a long time first time posting,secto services working with open eir layed orange ducting pipe underground also seen eir vans with black cable around but seen nothing for a few weeks now,i hoping this ftth as im living about 2miles from town,i have a few pictures,if anyone has any idea if this is ftth im living about 2miles from cabinet,this in kerry btw

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

TomEire wrote: »
    Been following this thread for a long time first time posting,secto services working with open eir layed orange ducting pipe underground also seen eir vans with black cable around but seen nothing for a few weeks now,i hoping this ftth as im living about 2miles from town,i have a few pictures,if anyone has any idea if this is ftth im living about 2miles from cabinet,this in kerry btw

Black cable is for ftth which will be blown through white ducting on pole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Just wondering if this has to be on the inside part of the wall directly from the outside cabinet?

On the opposite side of the connection box in my house is the sitting room and there is a radiator there so I don't think I could put it directly theee.

In my house the main eircom port is around 15 meters from the outside cabinet and there is also another eircom port upstairs around 15 meters away. Will these become useless after getting the fibre installed?

I assume it will still be fine to use powerline adapters to get the signal throughout the house.

They can route the cable on the exterior of your home to find a more suitable entry point.

If they move you to VoB, Voice over Broadband, where the phone line is carried over the internet, the sockets would stop working unless you were to connect one of them to a phone port on the router. Doing this would allow you to use them a regular phone points again.

Some people here are using powerline adapters. I haven't used them so can't really comment.

Yes the black cable with "UND1534" etc is the fibre cable. It has been blown through the white ducting you can see on the pole. The cable will likely have travelled underground to this point. Over the coming weeks or months you should start to see the Distribution Points being fitted to the poles.

453515.jpg

This is the final part of the build before an area goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomEire

Yes the black cable with "UND1534" etc is the fibre cable. It has been blown through the white ducting you can see on the pole. The cable will likely have travelled underground to this point. Over the coming weeks or months you should start to see the Distribution Points being fitted to the poles.

453515.jpg

This is the final part of the build before an area goes live.

There is a black box on the pole but doesnt look like that,ill try and get a picture of it.What speed do you think ill get since im 2.5miles from exhange and 2 miles from cabinet i was told before that distance doesnt matter for ftth it only matters for fttc

There is a black box on the pole but doesnt look like that,ill try and get a picture of it.What speed do you think ill get since im 2.5miles from exhange and 2 miles from cabinet i was told before that distance doesnt matter for ftth it only matters for fttc

Distance does not matter. There are three packages currently available:

150Mb down / 30Mb up
    300Mb / 50Mb
    1000Mb / 100Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

It could go either way. The best indication is if you can see work taking place close to your home. Have the poles been replaced, is there new fibre cables at the top of the poles and most importantly is there one of these

453515.jpg

relatively close to your home? Are you at the end of the yellow line?

Must be within 150 metres of your home

My only other option is to find the duct where it comes in around the pillar. The fella who fixed the line says its not very deep there so should be easier to find. Then I'll just have to dig the whole way up the garden until I find the break.

I'm fecked right off with this now. Dug another 2ft trench around the pillar and still can't find the effing thing.

Tempted to just cancel and live with shltty broadband forever.

Would a cat detector pick up the line or is that just for power cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I'm fecked right off with this now. Dug another 2ft trench around the pillar and still can't find the effing thing.

Tempted to just cancel and live with shltty broadband forever.

Would a cat detector pick up the line or is that just for power cables?

Could you not just dig a fresh trench with new ducting? I mean you have already dug up some of the garden.

Cost me 400 all in to do this.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Could you not just dig a fresh trench with new ducting? I mean you have already dug up some of the garden.

Cost me 400 all in to do this.
    The duct comes under the road, around the front wall, under the garden and then under the concrete driveway around the house.  So to run a new duct under the garden I would still need to find the spot where the duct goes under the concrete to the house.  And if I could even find that then I could track back to where I need to be!

Would a metal detector pick up the copper wire I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread already. I've been following for a bit but haven't seen a solution come up.

What can I do about a situation where fibre is available to all houses on a road bar our own. I've contacted Éir, I'm sure everyone's aware that their sales team are very limited in ability. They've confirmed 300mpbs service for the neighbouring house, but only 5mbps service for our own.

The house has a 40m driveway. Could this be a prohibiting factor? There are other houses along the road with similar premises and live service.

I see we've been discussing some installation options on the last few pages but I'm not sure how to use that knowledge to work with Éir, there doesn't appear to be any avenue other than their sales team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ULMarc wrote: »
    What can I do about a situation where fibre is available to all houses on a road bar our own. I've contacted Éir, I'm sure everyone's aware that their sales team are very limited in ability. They've confirmed 300mpbs service for the neighbouring house, but only 5mbps service for our own.

The house has a 40m driveway. Could this be a prohibiting factor? There are other houses along the road with similar premises and live service.

Find another provider, that will go the last mile for you and fix the issue with you not being enabled. You have 7 more providers to choose from:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (any provider with the small house logo)

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement