Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail
    How are the numbers looking?

KOR101 wrote: »
    How are the numbers looking?

Very low numbers this week. There are still lots of connections announced last month to go live in the next 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ULMarc wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread already. I've been following for a bit but haven't seen a solution come up.

What can I do about a situation where fibre is available to all houses on a road bar our own. I've contacted Éir, I'm sure everyone's aware that their sales team are very limited in ability. They've confirmed 300mpbs service for the neighbouring house, but only 5mbps service for our own.

The house has a 40m driveway. Could this be a prohibiting factor? There are other houses along the road with similar premises and live service.

I see we've been discussing some installation options on the last few pages but I'm not sure how to use that knowledge to work with Éir, there doesn't appear to be any avenue other than their sales team.

Can you confirm that neighbouring premises on both your left and right can avail of the service?

Has your home been built relatively recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Very low numbers this week. There are still lots of connections announced last month to go live in the next 2 weeks.

Hi Martin,

Corrandulla supposed to go live this week (8/8) which should bring in a large number of houses.

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

Corrandulla supposed to go live this week (8/8) which should bring in a large number of houses.

Correct. But they were already added to the database first week July with launch dates for 01.08, 08.08. and 15.08.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

Marlow wrote: »
    Find another provider, that will go the last mile for you and fix the issue with you not being enabled. You have 7 more providers to choose from:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (any provider with the small house logo)

Fair enough, thank you. They're online availability checkers would all seem to be giving the same results as Éir though, unsurprisingly. So I might have to do a bit of calling around. It's a family member's house so I'm only trying to gather info on their behalf. D
    Can you confirm that neighbouring premises on both your left and right can avail of the service?

Has your home been built relatively recently?

It's on a rural road with only one neighbour adjacent, which does have service available. The house itself is half a kilometre with ~10 houses from one end, and 2km with ~50 houses from the other. It's been there for 40 years.

Fair enough, thank you. They're online availability checkers would all seem to be giving the same results as Éir though, unsurprisingly. So I might have to do a bit of calling around. It's a family member's house so I'm only trying to gather info on their behalf. D

It's on a rural road with only one neighbour adjacent, which does have service available. The house itself is half a kilometre with ~10 houses from one end, and 2km with ~50 houses from the other. It's been there for 40 years.

Can you PM me the Eircode if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sometimes houses get missed for non obvious reasons. If the checkers and the fibrerollout.ie doesn't have it listed, then none of the provider checks will have it listed either, once the area goes live. Or chances are low, that it will get listed.

It takes manual intervention by the provider to add the house back into the roll out. Eir staff don't even have direct access to UG or direct access an account manager in OpenEIR. This is were smaller providers are much more flexible in actually fixing these glitches. But they will obviously not put the work in, to get it sorted, unless they get the business.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

Cool. Great information, thank you. I was hoping for a bit of direction like this. At least of a few providers I can attempt to have a discussion with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Getting near time I ordered fibre, so did a check on a few prices today, looking at the first year's costs on a 12 month contract, which gives the option to change provider for a (hopefully) cheaper rate then.

Below is what I came up with ...... is there a main player I have omitted, or have I made a mistake in the figures?
    Please advise if so.
    These figures come out in favour of eir it seems ..... not 100% happy with that, but finances dictate.
    In addition eir also wins with no cap or FUP.
    ############################

EIR 12 months  150/30

€45.99 x 12       €551.88
    +€99.99            €99.99

Total:            €651.87

Off peak Irish landline calls
    Eir sport pack

#############################

Airwire   12 months  150/30

€50.00 x 12      €600.00
    +€199.00         €199.00

Total:           €799.00

No Calls
    No sport pack

Digiweb 12 months  150/30

€54.95 x 12      €659.40
    +€199.00         €199.00

Total:           €858.40

Phone but no calls

Westnet do not cover my area but are cheaper if you are within coverage.

€45 x 12      €540
    +€0.00

Total            €540

Broadband only - no phone
    No cap or FUP

Is there another provider I should check out?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Getting near time I ordered fibre, so did a check on a few prices today, looking at the first year's costs on a 12 month contract, which gives the option to change provider for a (hopefully) cheaper rate then.

Below is what I came up with ...... is there a main player I have omitted, or have I made a mistake in the figures?
    Please advise if so.
    These figures come out in favour of eir it seems ..... not 100% happy with that, but finances dictate.
    In addition eir also wins with no cap or FUP.
    ############################

EIR 12 months  150/30

€45.99 x 12       €551.88
    +€99.99            €99.99

Total:            €651.87

Off peak Irish landline calls
    Eir sport pack

Airwire   12 months  150/30

€50.00 x 12      €600.00
    +€199.00         €199.00

Total:           €799.00

No Calls
    No sport pack

Digiweb 12 months  150/30

€54.95 x 12      €659.40
    +€199.00         €199.00

Total:           €858.40

Phone but no calls

Is there another provider I should check out?

Thanks.

Pure Telecom were the only other one I looked at.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Pure Telecom were the only other one I looked at.

In truth I was not prepared to dig through pages of blurb or ring them, or email them, to get info that IMO should be upfront on the page. Info such as
    Connection fee
    FUP and/or cap

I had similar problems with Digiweb .... but they at least had a Chat facility on their page. It was there I found the connection fee.

If they make it difficult for me to get info then I will be prepared to pay a little more elsewhere rather than jump through hoops they construct to hide details that should be shown up front.

This whole process has put me in bad form! :o

Yet again I must congratulate Airwire on the clarity of their page.

I expect the Puretelecom price to come out like this

Puretelecom

€39 x 6        €234.00
    €65 x 6        €390.00
    +€199.00       €199.00

Total:         €823.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/

If you click on the home button on each service provider it brings you straight to the bundles that they sell. I notice a few of them are doing free connection ? We are suppose to be able to order from tomorrow. Im still none the wiser on who to go with

dar_cool wrote: »

If you click on the home button on each service provider it brings you straight to the bundles that they sell. I notice a few of them are doing free connection ? We are suppose to be able to order from tomorrow. Im still none the wiser on who to go with

Who is doing free connection for first time installations?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Who is doing free connection for first time installations?

Westnet are "offering" free connection (only one I could see)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Westnet are "offering" free connection (only one I could see)

I think maybe also Net1 on their 300Mb and 1Gb packages but with a 24 month contract I believe.

dar_cool wrote: »

That seems to be an outdated page. Especially because it refers to a rollout of "over 100,000 homes and businesses".

This is the correct one now: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Amazing how many of them don't commit to offer you anything but want to call you back after giving them your eircode.
    Missed opportunity relying on sales guys to call back if you are later than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Well, I upgraded my order with Airwire today to the 1000 meg package.

I have the hardware, plus the whole house is networked with Cat 6,so I should be able to get the benefit. Might be overkill, but it’s a fiver a week extra , and I’ll never have any speed regrets anyway!

Go big or go home as the yanks say! :D

• Advertisement

Some of those 'free connection' offers refer to FTTC ....... yeah, some of those pages are (IMO) designed to confuse.

Only after you contact them and ask the right questions will you get an answer ..... unless you spend a lot of time digging through their small print!

Even if I find out the details I will avoid those who hide some charges ..... just don't want to deal with companies like that.

Some of those 'free connection' offers refer to FTTC .......

Free connection on FTTC is common enough to find. They don't cost a lot to get installed.

The big cost is on OpenEIR FTTH. Costs more than 3x the price of what SIRO charge to the provider.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

In truth I was not prepared to dig through pages of blurb or ring them, or email them, to get info that IMO should be upfront on the page. Info such as
    Connection fee
    FUP and/or cap

I had similar problems with Digiweb .... but they at least had a Chat facility on their page. It was there I found the connection fee.

If they make it difficult for me to get info then I will be prepared to pay a little more elsewhere rather than jump through hoops they construct to hide details that should be shown up front.

This whole process has put me in bad form! :o

Yet again I must congratulate Airwire on the clarity of their page.

I expect the Puretelecom price to come out like this

Puretelecom

€39 x 6        €234.00
    €65 x 6        €390.00
    +€199.00       €199.00

Total:         €823.00

What was worse for me was when I called pure Telecom I seem to get Gordon Gecko who knew what I wanted .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Hi all My FTTH is due to go live today at least that what EIR told me.
    I am currently with Sky and if they offer me a good package I would like to try and stay with them.

I called Sky and explained that I was told about going Live by EIR but just as like the Eir FTTH checker online they can't see any Live date.
    And until my connection shows as Live they can't give me any real prices or a connection date.

I was told they are due to launch in September but if my line shows up as Live I might be connected earlier than September.
    I was just wondering has anyone else thought about going with Sky for FFTH as I have not seen much about it here ?

If I can't get a good deal from Sky I might go with Eir as they have the Truly Unlimited now but I have a slight concern about the Eir router as I have Sky Q and their Mini box that is Wi-Fi and I have heard people say the Eir Router is not the best for in house Wi-fi the current Sky gear works fine for me as Wi-Fi goes although I have really low speeds but thats just ADSL.

jimmbo wrote: »
    Hi all My FTTH is due to go live today at least that what EIR told me.
    I am currently with Sky and if they offer me a good package I would like to try and stay with them.

I called Sky and explained that I was told about going Live by EIR but just as like the Eir FTTH checker online they can't see any Live date.
    And until my connection shows as Live they can't give me any prices or a connection date.

I was told they are due to launch in September but if my line shows up as Live I might be connected earlier than September.
    I was just wondering has anyone else thought about going with Sky for FFTH as I have not seen much about it here ?

If I can't get a good deal from Sky I might go with Eir as they have the Truly Unlimited now but I have a slight concern about the Eir router as I have Sky Q and their Mini box that is Wi-Fi and I have heard people say the Eir Router is not the best for in house Wi-fi the current Sky gear works fine for me as Wi-Fi goes although I have really low speeds but thats just ADSL.

Sky don't currently sell FTTH on the Openeir network. There have been rumours here that they may be launching a product before the new year but that has yet to be confirmed. The currently available ISPs for FTTH are listed here with circular green home icons:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You can be guaranteed they will offer it when Eircom starts eating into their ADSL1/2+ and TV customers.

You can be guaranteed they will offer it when Eircom starts eating into their ADSL1/2+ and TV customers.

They tend to be very slow to make any decision. And while they're agressive on their pricing, they are highly contended because they pay rock bottom to BT for what they deliver and don't have any internet infrastructure themselves in Ireland.

The only thing Sky has going for them is the TV packages.

And if the rumours are true, their FTTH will also be limited at 1TB. But until they actually tell people, what they're offering, nobody is going to know. They signed with SIRO in Dec 2017 ... and we still don't know where and what they're going to offer.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Marlow wrote: »
    They tend to be very slow to make any decision. And while they're agressive on their pricing, they are highly contended because they pay rock bottom to BT for what they deliver and don't have any internet infrastructure themselves in Ireland.

The only thing Sky has going for them is the TV packages.

And if the rumours are true, their FTTH will also be limited at 1TB. But until they actually tell people, what they're offering, nobody is going to know. They signed with SIRO in Dec 2017 ... and we still don't know where and what they're going to offer.

/M

I got talking to a chap from sky he told me that he was part of a new FTTH team and he hinted to me that they will offer 150/300/1000 package the same as Eir and maybe costing roughly 5 euro more than Eir and capped at 1tb .. I guess I have to wait and see ..I have never had any trouble with service with Sky or with anyone on their call centres but I may have to go with Eir on price even though it would seem they could be hard work to deal with if problems pop up but I could go with them for a year and then see what is available after that .
    My first hurdle at moment is that Sky can't see a live date on my Eircode.

And as if by magic Sky confirm that it will be joining the Openeir network. Trials underway apparently.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/sky-ends-boycott-of-eirs-fibre-broadband-37193739.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement