Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Whats the best way to order with Eir, supposed to be going live next week, does the eir website get updated frequently? (been a long wait and I want to hit the ground running)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Whats the best way to order with Eir, supposed to be going live next week, does the eir website get updated frequently? (been a long wait and I want to hit the ground running)

existing customers dial 1901 I have been told

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Getting near time I ordered fibre, so did a check on a few prices today, looking at the first year's costs on a 12 month contract, which gives the option to change provider for a (hopefully) cheaper rate then.

Below is what I came up with ...... is there a main player I have omitted, or have I made a mistake in the figures?
    Please advise if so.
    These figures come out in favour of eir it seems ..... not 100% happy with that, but finances dictate.
    In addition eir also wins with no cap or FUP.
    ############################

EIR 12 months  150/30

€45.99 x 12       €551.88
    +€99.99            €99.99

Total:            €651.87

Off peak Irish landline calls
    Eir sport pack

#############################

Airwire   12 months  150/30

€50.00 x 12      €600.00
    +€199.00         €199.00

Total:           €799.00

No Calls
    No sport pack

Digiweb 12 months  150/30

€54.95 x 12      €659.40
    +€199.00         €199.00

Total:           €858.40

Phone but no calls

Is there another provider I should check out?

Thanks.

You may not be in our coverage area, but I'll just mention that 12 months of 150Mb/s FTTH with us would cost 12×45=€540 for broadband only, with no usage limits.

(We're doing an even better deal on SIRO, but that's for a different thread.)

We're hoping to have our long-delayed phone service up and running in the next few weeks. I'll advise pricing when it's ready to go.

You may not be in our coverage area, but I'll just mention that 12 months of 150Mb/s FTTH with us would cost 12×45=€540 for broadband only, with no usage limits.

(We're doing an even better deal on SIRO, but that's for a different thread.)

We're hoping to have our long-delayed phone service up and running in the next few weeks. I'll advise pricing when it's ready to go.

Thanks Paul.
    I did not include Westnet as I am not within Westnet coverage according to the map.

EDIT: Deleted reference to connection fee as none is charged! Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Westnet is free installation.
    – No Connection Fee: We don’t charge you a connection fee

http://www.westnet.ie/packages/fibre-to-the-home---new-service/7/

/M

• Advertisement

As Marlow pointed out, we don't charge an installation fee. I guess I could have made that clearer, but I thought it was implicit in the fact that I was adding to your comparison list - if we had an installation fee, I would have included it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

As Marlow pointed out, we don't charge an installation fee. I guess I could have made that clearer, but I thought it was implicit in the fact that I was adding to your comparison list - if we had an installation fee, I would have included it.

Paul you must be very exposed to people switching to another provider after a year or two with you. Hopefully it works out for you.

Paul you must be very exposed to people switching to another provider after a year or two with you. Hopefully it works out for you.

Yes, we'll lose money on anyone who switches when their contract is up.

We've been actively selling FTTH products for a little over a year and a half now, and - touch wood - churn rate is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yes, we'll lose money on anyone who switches when their contract is up.

We've been actively selling FTTH products for a little over a year and a half now, and - touch wood - churn rate is very low.

Any company who keeps pricing reasonable and has decent customer service will keep their customers.

I moved off of eir because of the really crappy service and time I had trying to just order.

The only thing that would make me move is possibly going to another supplier because of no data cap.

Apologies for my error.

I have edited my post to reflect this.

Just a pity your coverage is not wider.

Thanks.

EDIT:
    Added Westnet to my original post to provide info for those within coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the way I see it is that providers who still have 1tb data caps for new customers or contracts are just not a viable option anymore.

that leaves:

Eir who are completely cap free for new customers/contracts.
    Cons: average modem, poor customer service and slightly more expensive, however having no FUP to worry about is a big deal and a huge plus.

Westnet: always had no cap/FUP.
    Cons: Only available in Mayo, so not an option for most of Ireland.

Airwire: still has caps but they are far more generous than Digiweb/Pure Telecom and supply a decent modem. Cheaper than Eir. Caps can also be increased.

Sky has not launched yet but the rumours are that it will have a stingy 1tb cap and priced similarly to Eir. If that's what they go with then there isn't a reason in the world to move to Sky. We shall wait and see.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Westnet: always had no cap/FUP.
    Cons: Only available in Mayo...
    ...and reasonable chunks of Galway, Roscommon and Sligo.
    ...so not an option for most of Ireland.

That's still fair, though. :)

I just had a 'fun' time with Eir, attempting to order an upgrade to FTTH.
    Having waited some minutes for their blurb to finish and select some numbers on keypad, I finally got through to a person.
    She of course had to take all my account details etc etc and then check my line only to tell me it is not available.
    Having told her her system was incorrect .... the fibre is outside my door ..... she relented and passed me to some other 'department'.
    There the same rigmarole about details had to be gone through, and she checked only to tell me the same story as the first lady. So she said she would pass me to some technical department to have the issue resolved.

I was put on hold for a minute or so, and the next person I spoke to was the first lady again!
    Repeat the rigmarole about details, and she asked why I was speaking to her ...... having expressed my frustration and lack of control over who I was passed to, she said she would find someone (physically) who would deal with it.
    So I was eventually passed on to another lady ...... and you guessed it .... rigmarole of all details etc etc ....... who eventually told me it was a 'back office' problem (:D) and she would raise it with them and have it sorted ...... minimum 72 hours, but please ring back in 4 days!

I confirmed that I have not placed an order with Eir ..... did so several times to be sure ..... and ended the call.

Yep real 'FUN' time!

So now I wonder if I were to approach Eir as a new customer, using only my eircode and not landline number as I did above, would this go through more easily?
    The eircode passes, but not the line.

I might try that ......

/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eircode needs matching up to the line, takes a dayish but they can't do it so has to be passed to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Tried ordering ftth from eir. They are saying on the web chat I need to get a telephone line installed in the house as there isnt one already. Do I need to get this to get FTTH ?
    Thanks

dar_cool wrote: »
    Tried ordering ftth from eir. They are saying on the web chat I need to get a telephone line installed in the house as there isnt one already. Do I need to get this to get FTTH ?
    Thanks

No, you do not need a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

webchat is universally useless

dar_cool wrote: »
    Thanks

Then you place an order for a phone line and the order gets cancelled as there is no copper lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

I upgraded my eir package on 27 JULY to get unlimited downloads and uploads.I ring them today i got the run around like always to find out if im on the truly unlimited download only to be told im on 1Tb and the unlimited was only for new customers with no account with them she hung up on me so ring again a sound lad who said he was 90% sure i was on unlimited but wasnt 100% sure he going to ring me tomorrow with answer. Im still within 14 day to cancel and have the letter ready to cancel in case im still on the 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I've signed up for fibre with Eir as well. I'm a current Eir customer. I can't get a straight answer as to what package I have signed up to. I got a great price when I signed up but then got a confirmation with totally different price. Contacted them and was told I was on a different price again with totally unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

rob808 wrote: »
    I upgraded my eir package on 27 JULY to get unlimited downloads and uploads.I ring them today i got the run around like always to find out if im on the truly unlimited download only to be told im on 1Tb and the unlimited was only for new customers with no account with them she hung up on me so ring again a sound lad who said he was 90% sure i was on unlimited but wasnt 100% sure he going to ring me tomorrow with answer. Im still within 14 day to cancel and have the letter ready to cancel in case im still on the 1TB.
    Again I'm just curious whether the usage meter disappears when unlimited applies. Anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

on 'my Eir' my usage details are back and it is still claiming Unlimited.

So because I signed up over a year ago I have a fair usage policy/Cap which is labeled unlimited. But in reality this 'unlimited' is limited to 1tb per month.

New Customers also have an 'unlimited' usage, but their 'unlimited' truly is unlimited with no cap.

Eir couldn't make this more confusing and current customer unfriendly if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Just wondering can anyone say what ping times they have on FTTH? Not that it particularly matters as I'm not a gamer but I did expect pings to be in single digits and I'm getting 20ms to servers nearby.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone say what ping times they have on FTTH? Not that it particularly matters as I'm not a gamer but I did expect pings to be in single digits and I'm getting 20ms to servers nearby.

Give me some IP addresses and I'll ping them to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I just had a 'fun' time with Eir, attempting to order an upgrade to FTTH.
    Having waited some minutes for their blurb to finish and select some numbers on keypad, I finally got through to a person.
    She of course had to take all my account details etc etc and then check my line only to tell me it is not available.
    Having told her her system was incorrect .... the fibre is outside my door ..... she relented and passed me to some other 'department'.
    There the same rigmarole about details had to be gone through, and she checked only to tell me the same story as the first lady. So she said she would pass me to some technical department to have the issue resolved.

I was put on hold for a minute or so, and the next person I spoke to was the first lady again!
    Repeat the rigmarole about details, and she asked why I was speaking to her ...... having expressed my frustration and lack of control over who I was passed to, she said she would find someone (physically) who would deal with it.
    So I was eventually passed on to another lady ...... and you guessed it .... rigmarole of all details etc etc ....... who eventually told me it was a 'back office' problem (:D) and she would raise it with them and have it sorted ...... minimum 72 hours, but please ring back in 4 days!

I confirmed that I have not placed an order with Eir ..... did so several times to be sure ..... and ended the call.

Yep real 'FUN' time!

So now I wonder if I were to approach Eir as a new customer, using only my eircode and not landline number as I did above, would this go through more easily?
    The eircode passes, but not the line.

I might try that ......

/

Tried to order with Eir initially spent 2 months trying to get the order through before I gave up.

First they placed the order for FTTC rather than H and took about a month to cancel. Second they broke my account when I put a mobile on it in November, for some reason wouldn't let me order and have it go through. Third, I could have waited if only they had someone who knew what they were talking about but all I got were script monkeys who would pass me around or tell me constantly to call back the next day.

I ended up cancelling all but the mobile phone, sure Airwire costs me a little bit more but from what I have seen so far they are happy for your custom.

MBSnr wrote: »

generally 1 to 3ms to Irish servers, 10-20ms to UK servers, 20-30 to France, Belgium, Nederlands, 35+ rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

KOR101 wrote: »
    Again I'm just curious whether the usage meter disappears when unlimited applies. Anyone?
    The usage meter still there im confuse with talking with Eir sales today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does the company you order from have any say in when your DP goes live? For the last 2 months every time I ring Eir they say my DP will be live in one week but then nothing happens.

tuxy wrote: »
    Does the company you order from have any say in when your DP goes live? For the last 2 months every time I ring Eir they say my DP will be live in one week but then nothing happens.

Nope, all Openeir - usually what happens is they forecast a month, if it's not done within a few weeks it's a bigger issue (either no one at all is connected or the equipment is faulty etc) in the exchange and will likely take months before it's sorted but they will still keep giving a month forecast.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »

It should not really. It would be up to Openeir and their subcontractors to do the preparatory work. When it is ready all retail ISPs would be informed at the same time through the APQ file.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement