Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

OK gear fails but to repeatedly send out installers is just a joke. One poster has had four failures the other three. Mind boggling incompetence.

in my case the first installer called at 4:45 and said hmm this install would probably take too much time. I asked when he finished for the day and he said 5 :rolleyes:

Next installer said the pole was far too unstable to climb.

Last installer checked right away and found there was no light. Asked me what happened with the last attempt at install and why was a hoist ordered. Asked if the last lad was a foreigner, I said no. Now he looked confused, shook the pole he had climbed a few minutes ago and drove away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    I suspect something much worse happened here in Nenagh. My address was ready to order 12 months ago and there is still no light at the DP

I have Nenagh as live in May 2018 in my tracker, perhaps it could have been April. I don't think it was live in August 2017. In fact according to the tracker it kept getting pushed back from originally Q1 2017 to eventually Q2 2018.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Q5HRZo02c1AZWfYMJlEXPMkRhb5iUIJyhssXQwq87I/htmlview#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have Nenagh as live in May 2018 in my tracker, perhaps it could have been April. I don't think it was live in August 2017. In fact according to the tracker it kept getting pushed back from originally Q1 2017 to eventually Q2 2018.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Q5HRZo02c1AZWfYMJlEXPMkRhb5iUIJyhssXQwq87I/htmlview#

Ah I must have my dates mixed up then, I was just basing it off previous posts I made as I can't remember. I guess that's not as bad and they may be short staffed the last few months due to people going on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Dam Eir got me good dam there sales tactic he just add the phone leaving me on the old contract even doh I said i wanted broadband ultra 150mb package dam cheats.I said to him unlimited download and no fup he said no fup and then he leaves me on old contract with 1TB download limit and phone at €65.99 guess contacting comreg a waste of time or is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

rob808 wrote: »
    Dam Eir got me good dam there sales tactic he just add the phone leaving me on the old contract even doh I said i wanted broadband ultra 150mb package dam cheats.I said to him unlimited download and no fup he said no fup and then he leaves me on old contract with 1TB download limit and phone at €65.99 guess contacting comreg a waste of time or is it.

They normally give you a cooling off period to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Regarding Nenagh, the fibre was run out the Thurles Road/Tyone/Knockalton area months ago and theres still no DP' affixed to the poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Was able to carry out order online with Eir today. After a phone call yesterday they said to check today. Ordered for 16th installation date. Not holding my breath as ive been reading this thread with interest for some time now. We are in Delvin in Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

I might be in the wrong thread here but Eir is installing FTTH tomorrow fingers crossed, but I was a question regarding the router/modem.

I currently have a Belkin Router which I'm very happy with but am I right in saying that it will not be compatible for Eir BB.

If that is the case is there any additional hardware I could buy like a separate modem?.

I've seen people posting about how poor Eir's modem can be, so just thinking in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    I might be in the wrong thread here but Eir is installing FTTH tomorrow fingers crossed, but I was a question regarding the router/modem.

I currently have a Belkin Router which I'm very happy with but am I right in saying that it will not be compatible for Eir BB.

If that is the case is there any additional hardware I could buy like a separate modem?.

I've seen people posting about how poor Eir's modem can be, so just thinking in advance.

I would first wait and see how the supplied modem operates for you.
    No point in buying new now only to find out the supplied modem was sufficient for your use case.

You did not say what model modem/router you have presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Sneakey feckers eir.

I can order on the website when I put my eircode in its €56, €65 or €80

Uz3xHbZ.png

When i got to incognito and dont put my eircode in its €46, €55 or €70

HfHVfeJ.png

I guess they check my eircode and realise im already a customer and change the price. I only moved to them in April to avoid an install fee

They must even record the last eircode I put in as when I click start again and dont put in an eircode it still has the higher prices

So do you think this affects the unlimited usage? It still has the same text, probably no way of telling? I think 1TB would be plenty for me anyway but unlimited would just add some peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If your contract started April then its 1TB limit.
    The website uses cookies so it will remember your eircode, whereas incognito mode...

AidenL wrote: »
    Well, I upgraded my order with Airwire today to the 1000 meg package.

I have the hardware, plus the whole house is networked with Cat 6,so I should be able to get the benefit. Might be overkill, but it’s a fiver a week extra , and I’ll never have any speed regrets anyway!

Go big or go home as the yanks say! :D

I thought 300Mbps was over kill!

Do you have an install date, the fibre back to town is just hanging from a pole just before the dam, I dont think they lines are actually connected to the exchange yet.

I order with eir and picked friday fortnight, maybe they are going to finish the install before they go out to install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Does every house on this FTTH rollout have access to 1000MB or is that a different set up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

correction wrote: »
    Does every house on this FTTH rollout have access to 1000MB or is that a different set up again?

Everyone does but if everyone were to opt for it there'd be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I definitely think 1000Meg is overkill, but if I don't try it, I'll always wonder......

Nope, no istall date yet. I believe Airwire are supposed to call me on the date its available for order with Openeir, which would be the 15th?

Maybe Airwire:MartinL will chip in. I see there are lots of unfinished connections , at the pole at the turn off to our houses also, back in where it goes overhead again at the dam, and also back down at the bottom of the hill near the ESB houses. At least three connections to be finalised, and that's only the visible ones.
    I thought 300Mbps was over kill!

Do you have an install date, the fibre back to town is just hanging from a pole just before the dam, I dont think they lines are actually connected to the exchange yet.

I order with eir and picked friday fortnight, maybe they are going to finish the install before they go out to install

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

correction wrote: »

It's fiber, so yes, it's available to anyone.
    ED E wrote: »
    Everyone does but if everyone were to opt for it there'd be a problem.

Only if they all use it at full throttle at the same time :)

/M

I definitely think 1000Meg is overkill, but if I don't try it, I'll always wonder......

Nope, no istall date yet. I believe Airwire are supposed to call me on the date its available for order with Openeir, which would be the 15th?

Maybe Airwire:MartinL will chip in. I see there are lots of unfinished connections , at the pole at the turn off to our houses also, back in where it goes overhead again at the dam, and also back down at the bottom of the hill near the ESB houses. At least three connections to be finalised, and that's only the visible ones.

I think the spool at the bottom of the road are to go further out the belleek direction. I think they will all be underground installs from the looks of it (the boxes in the ground have L's sprayed on them) so maybe theyre quicker to install or someone else does it

The ones closer to town are abit worrying, maybe someone else does the longer stretches. Hopefully they throw it up soon.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We can't push the orders to OpenEIR until that date (called the Ready for Order date or RFO).

Sometimes there is an additional delay then, if OpenEIR only has enabled the exchange for NGN at the same time and it was only a copper exchange beforehand, because we might need another circuit to it. But that generelly only takes 24-48 hours to get sorted.

You could be right there, saw all the Ls on the manhole covers alright. Maybe up our direction is first on the list then.

But yeah, they look a bit behind, it must be due to holidays. Id say two guys would wipe it all out in a day though.
    I think the spool at the bottom of the road are to go further out the belleek direction. I think they will all be underground installs from the looks of it (the boxes in the ground have L's sprayed on them) so maybe theyre quicker to install or someone else does it

The ones closer to town are abit worrying, maybe someone else does the longer stretches. Hopefully they throw it up soon.

• Advertisement

I knew you'd have the answer. That's what I believed, no confirmation until the 15th, so I'm sitting back and relaxing. And I know that's theres still possibilities of issues even then, plus more if the survey visit by KN is a flop.
    We can't push the orders to OpenEIR until that date (called the Ready for Order date or RFO).

Sometimes there is an additional delay then, if OpenEIR only has enabled the exchange for NGN at the same time and it was only a copper exchange beforehand, because we might need another circuit to it. But that generelly only takes 24-48 hours to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I took the 300Mb over the 150Mb as I just couldn't quite justify the 1Gb....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's actually not the 1 Gbit/s download that's the attractive part of that package.

It's the 100 Mbit/s upload.

Consumers upload a lot more things these days, than they realise. Upload of pictures, videos, usage of cloud, vpn etc.

People tend to forget that. This is where old ADSL1 or ADSL2+ really are a bummer, because you get very marginal upload speeds. Fixed wireless on the other hand often has better upload speeds to offer.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

I would first wait and see how the supplied modem operates for you.
    No point in buying new now only to find out the supplied modem was sufficient for your use case.

You did not say what model modem/router you have presently.

It's a Belkin N600 wireless router
    It doesn't have a built-in modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Marlow wrote: »
    It's actually not the 1 Gbit/s download that's the attractive part of that package.

It's the 100 Mbit/s upload.

Consumers upload a lot more things these days, than they realise. Upload of pictures, videos, usage of cloud, vpn etc.

People tend to forget that. This is where old ADSL1 or ADSL2+ really are a bummer, because you get very marginal upload speeds. Fixed wireless on the other hand often has better upload speeds to offer.

/M

Yeah, I see those sweet upload speeds on FTTH and that's really what would make me jump if such a service ever was available where I am. I'd kill for a consistent 6-10mbps right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Gonzo wrote: »
    generally 1 to 3ms to Irish servers, 10-20ms to UK servers, 20-30 to France, Belgium, Nederlands, 35+ rest of Europe.

Hmmm I get 20ms to Irish servers and 35ms to the UK on a wired connection directly into the Fritzbox router/modem. I'm wondering if that is due to OpenEir's connection from the exchange to the core network or Digiweb's equipment?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

It looks like, that a lot of the exchanges announced last month will become an issue.

They're ready for order, but OpenEIR forgot to re-home them in time. It means, that the build is finished, but the connection to the exchange is not ready.

That means, we can't place the orders. They are looking into this right now.

Exchanges so far, that we have identified with that issue are:
    - Corrandulla, Co. Galway
    - Cloghan, Co. Offaly
    - Ballygarrett, Co. Wexford

There may be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

@tuxy
    Tried sending PM but doesn't seem to be working
    Other premises on the same line have active service so possibly a patching issue in the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I went with 1000mb as I have been in data wilderness for years and looking forward to good internet.

Funny since cancelling with eir have had more calls from them than I did when I was a customer.

Even had a rep around at the house.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

There may be more.

Bohola in Mayo and Frenchpark in Roscommon seem to have similar issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement