Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

It looks like, that a lot of the exchanges announced last month will become an issue.

They're ready for order, but OpenEIR forgot to re-home them in time. It means, that the build is finished, but the connection to the exchange is not ready.

That means, we can't place the orders. They are looking into this right now.

Exchanges so far, that we have identified with that issue are:
    - Corrandulla, Co. Galway
    - Cloghan, Co. Offaly
    - Ballygarrett, Co. Wexford

There may be more.

How long will this re-home take them i wonder?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Mr Velo wrote: »

Anything from one week to 3 months typically.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bohola and Frenchpark seem to be in the process of getting fixed now, so fingers crossed. I had spotted similar problems with Newport and Cong, but those were fixed before the RFO date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Fairly surprised OpenEir forgot...

Oh wait... what am I saying? They have 'Eir' in their name. Not surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Bohola and Frenchpark seem to be in the process of getting fixed now, so fingers crossed. I had spotted similar problems with Newport and Cong, but those were fixed before the RFO date.

What exactly is the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What exactly is the problem?

It's complicated. There's some sort of database issue where an exchange like Frenchpark is being flagged as a main exchange, when it's actually just a reach node of Castlerea. When an operator tries to order a FTTH connection in Frenchpark, the order is rejected because they're not set up for that exchange - but they can't be set up for that exchange; they can only be set up for the main exchanges.

I have no idea what the underlying cause is, but it's a pain in the hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

MBSnr wrote: »
    Hmmm I get 20ms to Irish servers and 35ms to the UK on a wired connection directly into the Fritzbox router/modem. I'm wondering if that is due to OpenEir's connection from the exchange to the core network or Digiweb's equipment?

I don't recall seeing many, if any Digiweb customers posting here about their connection. It could be a fault or perhaps Digiweb just have crap routing. Can you post a traceroute to inex.ie?

fritzelly wrote: »
    @tuxy
    Tried sending PM but doesn't seem to be working
    Other premises on the same line have active service so possibly a patching issue in the exchange

I'm not sure what level of detail you have but when you say the same line do you mean the same exchange, the same GPON port, the same trunk cable route or the same DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Same trunk, just checked a few other properties along the way
    Only the one exchange there anyway

Actually checked a few more there and there is an active connection just down from the OP (half a kilometer) and cannot find any pending installation, all seem active.
    Seeming more like an issue in that particular area

• Advertisement

Actually checked a few more there and there is an active connection just down from the OP (half a kilometer) and cannot find any pending installation, all seem active.
    Seeming more like an issue in that particular area

Very strange. Perhaps some splicing or cable issue and they don't have the manpower available to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MBSnr wrote: »
    Hmmm I get 20ms to Irish servers and 35ms to the UK on a wired connection directly into the Fritzbox router/modem. I'm wondering if that is due to OpenEir's connection from the exchange to the core network or Digiweb's equipment?
    I don't recall seeing many, if any Digiweb customers posting here about their connection. It could be a fault or perhaps Digiweb just have crap routing. Can you post a traceroute to inex.ie?

Some of Digiwebs connections seem to be on aggregated backhaul and not directly on their own infrastructure. That could very well cause higher ping times, if they rely on another carrier between them and the exchange.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Friends in South Tipp had FTTH originally scheduled for first half of 2018 then moved to second half of 2018. Received notification from Eir that it will be first half of 2019 at the earliest. Fibre rollout website still stating 2018. Don't know how they got the schedule so wrong.

fibre rollout site is heading for 3 months out of date

fibre rollout site is heading for 3 months out of date

I think they've given up on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think they've given up on it!
    They would only be advertising the delays now. The real issue is determining just how far they have dialed back....below 20k a month?

KOR101 wrote: »
    They would only be advertising the delays now. The real issue is determining just how far they have dialed back....below 20k a month?

From Jan 1st to Mar 31st the commitment contract specified 38000. They passed 24645.

The Q2 and Q3 contract target are 44000 premises passed. There should be an update soon on the DCCAE site with Q2 figures.

I just think they have way over promised on targets. The 100K by Mar 2017 was ridiculous as was the 300K by end 2018. They have never shown the capability of meeting the targets that were set. Perhaps they panicked under pressure from the Department in agreeing to a contract that they knew would be difficult to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

What is causing the delays now?
    Surely they should be speeding up fine weather - repeated process etc.

turbbo wrote: »

They are playing catch-up on previous quarters and I believe there is a limit to how many premises they can pass with the current workforce they have. Unless they manage to hire more people I don't see it improving greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Man power it’s holiday season in lot of companies

• Advertisement

Blaming the storms was only ever an excuse to be honest.

The issue is, that their forecast for the rollout was never going to be happening. That and the fact, that it took KN a long time to ramp up the man-power they needed to do job in the first place.

I don't think OpenEIR have hit their forecast numbers in any given month.

How would they not be delayed ?

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When Eir originally announced the 300k homes, they were targeting completion for 2020 which seemed fairly achievable, but then several months later they recalculated completion for end of 2018 which just did not add up and seemed quite unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Marlow wrote: »
    Blaming the storms was only ever an excuse to be honest.

The issue is, that their forecast for the rollout was never going to be happening. That and the fact, that it took KN a long time to ramp up the man-power they needed to do job in the first place.

I don't think OpenEIR have hit their forecast numbers in any given month.

How would they not be delayed ?

/M
    Okay but I wonder whether the new management have actually cut things back as opposed to the targets never being realistic in the first place. Maybe I'm being too suspicious. I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Okay but I wonder whether the new management have actually cut things back as opposed to the targets never being realistic in the first place. Maybe I'm being too suspicious. I hope so.

Yeah nail on head I fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Anything from one week to 3 months typically.

Sheeite......is there a way to find out when this is resolved? Specifically Cloghan, Co. Offaly

Sheeite......is there a way to find out when this is resolved? Specifically Cloghan, Co. Offaly

Order will be updated in UG with something like Resolved by Core then you pray its for real and the DP is live.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Order will be updated in UG with something like Resolved by Core then you pray its for real and the DP is live.
    UG?

UG?

Something the providers have access to for orders etc

No, it won't. Because the provider can't even place the order until the re-homing issue is resolved.

No. The provider has to poke OpenEIR (often on a daily basis) until it's resolved and then tell their customers, when it's resolved. There's certainly no way of being told what's actually happening or to get a reasonable estimate on it. Hence it can take from 1 week to 3 months. All the provider is told is in what quartal of the year they plan to re-home the exchange, so that the provider finally can place orders.

So, it's down to whoever you ordered your line with. If they're on the ball, you'll be online fairly quickly, once it's fixed.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    No, it won't. Because the provider can't even place the order until the re-homing issue is resolved.

/M

Ahh true, was thinking something else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement