Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Line ordered yesterday with Eir after they changed their FUP (I was originally going with Airwire). Here’s hoping they are on the ball. Don’t fancy explaining to the teenagers that it’s delayed. Might just move out if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Line ordered yesterday with Eir after they changed their FUP (I was originally going with Airwire). Here’s hoping they are on the ball. Don’t fancy explaining to the teenagers that it’s delayed. Might just move out if it comes to that.

Same here Teenagers losing the plot with our slow speeds.

My area went live today and I had hoped to go with Sky but they seemed clueless on the phone today telling me to try back in about a months time!

That makes me believe that the Sky September Launch could be true.

Anyway I went to Eir the True Unlimited swung me ,I went for the 300mbps .
    They have placed the order for next Thursday ..And sods law a notice then arrived in my post informing me the ESB will be off between 10-5 on yes you have guessed it next Thursday!!

I didn't change the date as sometimes when the ESB do an upgrade and it can be back within an hour or so ...
    Anyone know If I really need the power supply to be on when the installer arrives? ...LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They can test the DP and everything but they will need power in the house to check the router,ONT is working etc
    Just change it for the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

or get a UPS :) Maplin is great for that ... oh wait .. they're gone the way of the dodo.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Marlow wrote: »
    or get a UPS :) Maplin is great for that ... oh wait .. they're gone the way of the dodo.

/M

They sure have grand pa, the kids these days order stuff like that from Amazon.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    They sure have grand pa, the kids these days order stuff like that from Amazon.

You can't get that shipped same day delivery though. And UPS includes battery. That's a serious no no from Amazon to Ireland unless you AddressPal that.

Also. Don't think you can even load Amazon pages on oul' DSL lines. Good luck with ordering then.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Again posters on here need to understand that many obstacles can arise during rollout. Sick leave, weather etc. Also when the area goes live there's no guarantee there'll be a light at the DP. It was May i ordered and 2 x forecast dates. Eir sales came around end of June and when i seen KN/Defusion working on the DP' they'd installed weeks ago I knew it was done. Called eircom and they confirmed. Installed 25th and 1000mb :) extremely happy.

As for delays caused by Ophelia. I believe it. Many wires were still down coming into the summer around here. Two wires snapped in nearby Bouladuff/Ragg and only one was fixed months later. Ironically it knocked out a lot of the Borrisoleigh exchange and left those further from the exchange uncongested. My 3mb ADSL normally 2.5mbpa was 2.9mbps for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Again posters on here need to understand that many obstacles can arise during rollout. Sick leave, weather etc. Also when the area goes live there's no guarantee there'll be a light at the DP. It was May i ordered and 2 x forecast dates. Eir sales came around end of June and when i seen KN/Defusion working on the DP' they'd installed weeks ago I knew it was done. Called eircom and they confirmed. Installed 25th and 1000mb :) extremely happy.

As for delays caused by Ophelia. I believe it. Many wires were still down coming into the summer around here. Two wires snapped in nearby Bouladuff/Ragg and only one was fixed months later. Ironically it knocked out a lot of the Borrisoleigh exchange and left those further from the exchange uncongested. My 3mb ADSL normally 2.5mbpa was 2.9mbps for weeks.

Hang on a min what sort of weather do ya need to string wires from poles? - It's been bloody amazing for the last 3 months!!! There hasn't been an outbreak of birdflu either! Someone always finds excuses for this pathetic rollout.

turbbo wrote: »
    Hang on a min what sort of weather do ya need to string wires from poles? - It's been bloody amazing for the last 3 months!!! There hasn't been an outbreak of birdflu either! Someone always finds excuses for this pathetic rollout.

Ah here .. the lads don't want to work, when a gaelstorm is blowing. They also don't want to work, when they could get burned to a crisp.

I wonder, what climate is needed to get some work out of them ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Hi guys. I live in rural South Kilkenny. I notice KN networks have been out and about near my house. Would this be a sign of the network in my area being upgraded for FTTH?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

A couple updates on the outstanding exchanges.

Corrandulla, Co. Galway is 1 week delayed.
    Cloghan, Co. Offaly is 2 weeks delayed.
    Finuge, Co. Kerry and Narraghmore, Co. Kildare are 3 weeks delayed.

There is some outstanding work to complete these rollouts and that has caused delays for these 4 exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

A couple updates on the outstanding exchanges.

Corrandulla, Co. Galway is 1 week delayed.
    Cloghan, Co. Offaly is 2 weeks delayed.
    Finuge, Co. Kerry and Narraghmore, Co. Kildare are 3 weeks delayed.

There is some outstanding work to complete these rollouts and that has caused delays for these 4 exchanges.

Thanks for the info MartinL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I live in rural South Kilkenny. I notice KN networks have been out and about near my house. Would this be a sign of the network in my area being upgraded for FTTH?

Possibly. Enter your Eircode on:

https://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300K to check your individual premises)

and

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

for an overview of where they intend to build. The yellow lines represent the cable and the blue icons are premises due to be passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mine 'went live' last month but eir still has this to tell me
    Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the second half of 2018.

While not untrue it is definitely out of date information!

Mine 'went live' last month but eir still has this to tell me

While not untrue it is definitely out of date information!

Oh yeah it's crap for live data but it's somewhat useful to see if you are due to be covered.

and

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

for an overview of where they intend to build. The yellow lines represent the cable and the blue icons are premises due to be passed.

Hi the yellow line comes to within 400 meters of my house in both directions but does not pass it. Does that mean it's not going to happen. Were not currently a broadband subscriber. Could this be why?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Hi the yellow line comes to within 400 meters of my house in both directions but does not pass it. Does that mean it's not going to happen. Were not currently a broadband subscriber. Could this be why?

Yep if the yellow line does not pass your house you can't get it. I am in the same boat is come 300m of me

Falconire wrote: »
    Yep if the yellow line does not pass your house you can't get it. I am in the same boat is come 300m of me

Really sickened now. Especially seeing that it comes close on both sides of my house. Even tho fibre is not direct to the home. Could I expect decent broadband speeds seeing as the fibre is close to the house?

Really sickened now. Especially seeing that it comes close on both sides of my house. Even tho fibre is not direct to the home. Could I expect decent broadband speeds seeing as the fibre is close to the house?

Fibre will have no effect on your copper speed (bar maybe less contention from people abandoning copper BB)

Generally if the line doesn't pass you won't be covered. However there have been instances where the map has been wrong and extra premises have been covered. I don't suppose you know what stage the build is at? Are there any of these on the poles?

453515.jpg

• Advertisement

Generally if the line doesn't pass you won't be covered. However there have been instances where the map has been wrong and extra premises have been covered. I don't suppose you know what stage the build is at? Are there any of these on the poles?

453515.jpg

I'm not sure. The KN network guys were working down the road last night. Would these be located on every pole? I'll have a look later.

I'm not sure. The KN network guys were working down the road last night. Would these be located on every pole? I'll have a look later.

No not on every pole.

No not on every pole.

Ok I'll have a look. Pretty dissaponted that it's coming so close but not passing my house. They've literally left a gap of about 700 meters without the fibre along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dante01

Ok I'll have a look. Pretty dissaponted that it's coming so close but not passing my house. They've literally left a gap of about 700 meters without the fibre along the road.

I feel your pain. My line just went live and it stops at the house before me. Only two houses left on the line, what gives. Rang EIR and the "Map say NO!!!" Tried to push them as I am out of contract put no joy. At this stage, being loyal to Telecom Eireann for so many years, even if EIR had a service to offer down the road I would find an alternative whatever the extra cost. If only AIRWIRE covered Kilcock.

Dante01 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. My line just went live and it stops at the house before me. Only two houses left on the line, what gives. Rang EIR and the "Map say NO!!!" Tried to push them as I am out of contract put no joy. At this stage, being loyal to Telecom Eireann for so many years, even if EIR had a service to offer down the road I would find an alternative whatever the extra cost. If only AIRWIRE covered Kilcock.

Might be worth talking to Airwire: MartinL on here, he can look to see if he can get you connected to ftth.

Might be worth talking to Martin for Airwire on here, he can look to see if he can get you connected to ftth.

Will do, thanks for the heads up. It's like flogging a dead horse dealing with EIR and they were so good up to a few years ago.

Dante01 wrote: »

Are we talking terraced housing or detached houses 500m apart....

fritzelly wrote: »
    Are we talking terraced housing or detached houses 500m apart....

Detached 200m from the last house with FTTH. It just seems so futile to leave an existing customer out when as I am told by KN crew there is plenty of capacity on the DP Box. They thought I must have been given wrong information, but the "MAP says NO".

Got no chance of being connected then if they never included you in the first place.
    50m is the kinda max to have a chance

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Got no chance of being connected then if they never included you in the first place.
    50m is the kinda max to have a chance

Well if it ever gets to me, the last company I will place an order with is EIR
    Thankfully I never renewed my contract with them so will start looking at my alternatives and never look back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement