Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

OK we get you don't like eir

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dante01

fritzelly wrote: »
    OK we get you don't like eir

If you have been paying money to a company for 25+ years you should expect a bit more loyalty and a bit more clarability on both sides if both are playing ball. Obviously your ball is not round or oval. I don't think my rational for being left without FTTH is unreasonable and your comment suggests you have blinkers when it comes to eir.

Dante01 wrote: »
    If you have been paying money to a company for 25+ years you should expect a bit more loyalty and a bit more clarability on both sides if both are playing ball. Obviously your ball is not round or oval. I don't think my rational for being left without FTTH is unreasonable and your comment suggests you have blinkers when it comes to eir.

Which shows your complete lack of understanding about what is happening with the rollout - being a customer for 25 years does not give you a right to demand from a private company that they spend thousands to give you fibre BB
    Fibre BB is a luxury not an essential service

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

They have to stop somewhere, youve just been unluckly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Dante01 wrote: »

What are you current speeds with Eir?

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    What are you current speeds with Eir?

1.8mbits - 3.0mbits it changes throughout the day.

They have to stop somewhere, youve just been unluckly.

But two customers from the end of a line ????

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Hi anyone got the skyq mini box working with eir broadband?
    As I'm unsure if Sky ask for the return of their sky hub router that the eir router will work for the connection to the mini box.

jimmbo wrote: »
    As I'm unsure if Sky ask for the return of their sky hub router that the eir router will work for the connection to the mini box.

Are you asking to route your BB thru the mini box?
    Highly doubt it as the mini box is designed to work with the main Sky box not third party routers

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

It will. I have a Q box with an eir router. Also worked with a Zyxel. It’s all in the setup.

Lots of info online on how to set it up. You won’t be able to use the mini boxes as hot spots though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

We have eir broadband and the skyq mini boxes. We got an extra sky booster box one of the mini boxes as it’s a fair distance from the main sky q box but the system is working perfectly with Eir broadband.

AidenL wrote: »
    It will. I have a Q box with an eir router. Also worked with a Zyxel. It’s all in the setup.

Lots of info online on how to set it up. You won’t be able to use the mini boxes as hot spots though.

Great Thanks... Do you know if you can put the Eir sports and BT Sports that come with the bundle on the Sky mini box I have heard mixed reports ?

ccazza wrote: »
    We have eir broadband and the skyq mini boxes. We got an extra sky booster box one of the mini boxes as it’s a fair distance from the main sky q box but the system is working perfectly with Eir broadband.

Brillant I am delighted was something I had forgotten about before switching over to Eir as we need the Mini box for TV in our kitchen :)

One more Question for tonight guys ..By the way you are all fantastic help .. I took a look at my pole outside the house I am one pole away from the DP and the ducting is there on my pole it vanishes into the ground with no visible point of return other than the phone line box on the wall in my hall of the house will this be where they fish in the cable from the ducting on the pole ?

One more Question for tonight guys ..By the way you are all fantastic help .. I took a look at my pole outside the house I am one pole away from the DP and the ducting is there on my pole it vanishes into the ground with no visible point of return other than the phone line box on the wall in my hall of the house will this be where they fish in the cable from the ducting on the pole ?

You may be lucky and when they rod the line it comes out somewhere by the current phone line - but many times in the scenario you describe the ducting is cut off under the floor with the actual copper line just fed to the phone socket and when they push the fibre through it just gets stuck or the duct is cemented over etc.
    Only way to find out is to make an appointment for an install and hope for the best

This is very typical for older houses

You may be lucky and when they rod the line it comes out somewhere by the current phone line - but many times in the scenario you describe the ducting is cut off under the floor with the actual copper line just fed to the phone socket and when they push the fibre through it just gets stuck or the duct is cemented over etc.
    Only way to find out is to make an appointment for an install and hope for the best

This is very typical for older houses

If they can't find it is overhead always offered the only slight worry I have on that is as its a bungalow the wire will drop lower as it heads across the driveway and any future delivery trucks could pull it down.. That said its a dormer and we have rooms where the attic once was.Do you think that would they install in the upstairs as then the wire would be higher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Great Thanks... Do you know if you can put the Eir sports and BT Sports that come with the bundle on the Sky mini box I have heard mixed reports ?

You can yes, I have done it. You need to call with your viewing card number if I recall correctly.

If they can't find it is overhead always offered the only slight worry I have on that is as its a bungalow the wire will drop lower as it heads across the driveway and any future delivery trucks could pull it down.. That said its a dormer and we have rooms where the attic once was.Do you think that would they install in the upstairs as then the wire would be higher ?

No, if there are poles there to start with and you are 50m or less from the pole then a good chance they would do it overhead but the wire needs to go high enough, from what you say I would imagine it would be a no go.
    If it involves installing another pole somewhere along the way when you have ducting already then its a 50/50 whether they will go with it. Usually they will say no and sort out the ducting (edging towards the side of nope)

No, if there are poles there to start with and you are 50m or less from the pole then a good chance they would do it overhead but the wire needs to go high enough, from what you say I would imagine it would be a no go.
    If it involves installing another pole somewhere along the way when you have ducting already then its a 50/50 whether they will go with it. Usually they will say no and sort out the ducting (edging towards the side of nope)

Would you think they would try and find the ducting as it there just no real sign of the end of it ?
    Or expect me to hire someone to find the ducting as Im not the DIY type.
    I'm guess they must come up against these problems all the time and I can't imagine all the customers that sign up expect to do that kind of work themselves!
    I wouldn't have a clue where wires go etc ...
    I mentioned that the area was live to my next-door neighbour and he said great when are they switching us on .. If only it was that simple it seems ...

They will try and rod thru the ducting and end up with it getting stuck - then they will have a good idea where it's getting stuck.
    From what you say it doesn't look like they can rod from the house back out
    Best thing to do is take the phone socket off the wall and see if you can see the ducting or is it just the copper line - if all you can see is the copper line then you could be in trouble.

If the rodding gets stuck at the house they will usually tell you to try taking up the floor and see if you can find where the duct is - that is a purely guessing game as it could be anywhere.
    Sometimes it's easier to spend a bit of money and lay a new duct from the pole and leave it hanging where you want it going into the house.

Read back on some of the posts here and you will see some people have spent a lot of time trying to find it with no success including digging up the floor, pulling skirting boards off etc.

Depends how desperate you are for the fibre and how much time/money you want to invest in it. I always tell people just lay new duct and be done with it - you could spend so much time on it that new ducting pays for itself in no time (assuming they cant get the cable thru). Anyone with a bit DIY in them can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If the house has a gable then that might be high enough for the wire to attach and it could then be pinned to the wall on the outside until it reached a location to enter the house.
    The distance to the pole might be a concern though ......

Say you cant find the duct in the house and the duct goes under someone elses driveway. Could you t off the current duct in your lawn and bring it up the wall of your house?

Theres a box in the ground that i think feeds my house but it goes through 20m of my neighbours lawn and under his drive

My phone line was plastered into the wall down to the floor. At the floor theres a gap behid the phone line that goes maybe 2 to 3 inches down (maybe more it might twist) and im hoping this is the duct. Gonna wait for kn to come out before i take the skirting off. I was able to pull it back enough to chisel down

Say you cant find the duct in the house and the duct goes under someone elses driveway. Could you t off the current duct in your lawn and bring it up the wall of your house?

Theres a box in the ground that i think feeds my house but it goes through 20m of my neighbours lawn and under his drive

My phone line was plastered into the wall down to the floor. At the floor theres a gap behid the phone line that goes maybe 2 to 3 inches down (maybe more it might twist) and im hoping this is the duct. Gonna wait for kn to come out before i take the skirting off. I was able to pull it back enough to chisel down

My Wife will murder me if I pull up her Wooden floor and wreck the place this could be a disaster :(

If the house has a gable then that might be high enough for the wire to attach and it could then be pinned to the wall on the outside until it reached a location to enter the house.
    The distance to the pole might be a concern though ......
    I might have to have some bribe money at the ready for the installer ...LOL

Don't know what you mean about a T junction if the line is going off somewhere else unless you intend to lay new ducting from it to the house.
    What does the box look like - it's probably a junction feeding your house and your neighbours - not unusual.

My Wife will murder me if I pull up her Wooden floor and wreck the place this could be a disaster :(

WAF vs a hundred euro or so
    Simple maths

I might have to have some bribe money at the ready for the installer ...LOL

Good luck with that!

Wouldnt mind but we had the floor right from the socket to the front door pulled up and replaced in april, if only id feckin known! Zero chance im pulling it up if the duct isnt at floor level under the socket

Wouldnt mind but we had the floor right from the socket to the front door pulled up and replaced in april, if only id feckin known! Zero chance im pulling it up if the duct isnt at floor level under the socket

Problem with the older houses is it could be literally anywhere - likely cemented in place

Best thing is to wait for the installer to try and get the cable thru and go from there.

• Advertisement

Problem with the older houses is it could be literally anywhere - likely cemented in place

Best thing is to wait for the installer to try and get the cable thru and go from there.

Yes no use in pulling the place apart first they might have some sort of plan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement