Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

fritzelly wrote: »
    Problem with the older houses is it could be literally anywhere - likely cemented in place

Best thing is to wait for the installer to try and get the cable thru and go from there.

Yeh house built in 1999/2000 but ill wait and see how tb8 installer gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Dante01 wrote: »
    If only AIRWIRE covered Kilcock.

Airwire covers Kilcock. But only via OpenEir and then SIRO when it goes live there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I cancelled sky a couple of weeks ago so the card will be inactive by the time Eir gets connected (hopefully in 2 weeks), how do I get Eir sports pack via satellite then ? Have 2x Enigma2 boxes and would like to be able to access sports on both boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I cancelled sky a couple of weeks ago so the card will be inactive by the time Eir gets connected (hopefully in 2 weeks), how do I get Eir sports pack via satellite then ? Have 2x Enigma2 boxes and would like to be able to access sports on both boxes.

You need to use a Sky box to get eir sports from satellite, unfortunately. :(

You can get two connections ...... using two Sky boxes and cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Got onto FTTH with airwire yesterday, its amazing :) still trying to setup everything (got an orbi as well). Airwire nothing but professional and engaged the whole time, from when i pulled the trigger until when it was installed was roughly 8 days ( would have been sooner but i was away).

To put this into context, I added a mobile phone to my old Eir account last Nov. This somehow broke the account internally with Eir and after two months of being told to either call back tomorrow or in a few days i finally cancelled. No real ownership within the company and no one that really cared about solving my issue. They only seemed to care after i cancelled.

All in id say it will have costs me about 650 euro to get installed, that is because i am in a new build and i had to get the ducting in place. Well worth it though as will setup the house for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Eir can get you a card from sky for your old sky boxes. You need to get in touch with them as soon as your eir is active. Remember to talk to the eir sports lads as the rest of eirs customer service havent a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

As Johnboy said you need to use the Sky box. You simply log into My Eir and enter the Sky card number. It is irrelevant that there is no active Sky subscription on the card.

As Johnboy said you need to use the Sky box. You simply log into My Eir and enter the Sky card number. It is irrelevant that there is no active Sky subscription on the card.

As Dominique Loud Waistband says, your existing Sky card (with no sub now) will do fine.
    You have to use a Sky box for it though, as it will not function in any other box.
    I used a real old card here and a Sky box that was donated to me ...... and I have a second box on standby with a second card.
    I needed to call an eir/setanta number to get the second card enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Congrats, glad you are sorted. How are you finding your super duper download and upload? Any really obvious benefits jumping out?
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Got onto FTTH with airwire yesterday, its amazing :) still trying to setup everything (got an orbi as well). Airwire nothing but professional and engaged the whole time, from when i pulled the trigger until when it was installed was roughly 8 days ( would have been sooner but i was away).

To put this into context, I added a mobile phone to my old Eir account last Nov. This somehow broke the account internally with Eir and after two months of being told to either call back tomorrow or in a few days i finally cancelled. No real ownership within the company and no one that really cared about solving my issue. They only seemed to care after i cancelled.

All in id say it will have costs me about 650 euro to get installed, that is because i am in a new build and i had to get the ducting in place. Well worth it though as will setup the house for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

AidenL wrote: »
    Congrats, glad you are sorted. How are you finding your super duper download and upload? Any really obvious benefits jumping out?

I am loving it to be fair, still getting it all setup. I play games online first thing is the low and steady ping.

Second thing is the download rate, I wanted to play Skyrim special edition again and also recently purchased monster Hunter world. Before it would have taken 2-3 days to download I had it all sorted in about 10-15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

jimmbo wrote: »
    Great Thanks... Do you know if you can put the Eir sports and BT Sports that come with the bundle on the Sky mini box I have heard mixed reports ?

You just need to ring them to get it put onto the mini boxes. It works straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

fritzelly wrote: »
    You may be lucky and when they rod the line it comes out somewhere by the current phone line - but many times in the scenario you describe the ducting is cut off under the floor with the actual copper line just fed to the phone socket and when they push the fibre through it just gets stuck or the duct is cemented over etc.
    Only way to find out is to make an appointment for an install and hope for the best

This is very typical for older houses

I pulled skirting boards off the walls and lifted some of the wooden floor today was like a war zone!
    But at least I found the ducting with the current phone line in it at the inside of the front door at the far corner from where the telephone junction box is and not cemented over.
    I was thrilled its a good start at least I have both ends of the ducting found, now lets just hope they don't find a blockage when they rod it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

ccazza wrote: »
    We have eir broadband and the skyq mini boxes. We got an extra sky booster box one of the mini boxes as it’s a fair distance from the main sky q box but the system is working perfectly with Eir broadband.

Can you record the BT and Eir channels on the Sky Q box or only view them?
    And are you using the Supplied Eir Router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Calhoun wrote: »

I am loving it to be fair, still getting it all setup. I play games online first thing is the low and steady ping.

Second thing is the download rate, I wanted to play Skyrim special edition again and also recently purchased monster Hunter world. Before it would have taken 2-3 days to download I had it all sorted in about 10-15 minutes.

This is what I want mine for as well if I ever get it. It’s being rooled out in my area but of course Iam not on the list.
    It’s not like i play a sh1te load of games on the Xbox but I do like to download what I can.
    The new red dead game is saposed to be over 80gbs my connection at the minute is solid I get over what I pay for
    But it’s just not good enough for 80gb if I want it that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is there any option for a premises somewhere along a rural fibre route which hasn't got a blue/green house over it on the fibrerollout.ie map.

We got an NGN quote for 500/500 but it was too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there any option for a premises somewhere along a rural fibre route which hasn't got a blue/green house over it on the fibrerollout.ie map.

Either A you get your eircode added if it was an error by OE and not a decision by them.

Or B you pay for a biz circuit with appropriate pricing.

ED E wrote: »
    Either A you get your eircode added if it was an error by OE and not a decision by them.

Or B you pay for a biz circuit with appropriate pricing.

How would you go about getting it added or finding out if it was a decision by them. Is there any middle ground between 17k p.a. 500/500 and 36 euro FTTC 100/20

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

For all your online gamers .....be careful as Eir have a 1TB download limit per month. If you exceed it, they’ll hit you with a €100 charge. They had a probe on my line to check my download speed and it downloaded over 2TB last month and guess what, they were charging me €100. I told them where to go as it was their device which they installed that downloaded the data.

How would you go about getting it added or finding out if it was a decision by them. Is there any middle ground between 17k p.a. 500/500 and 36 euro FTTC 100/20

Chances for that are bigger with alternative providers, as they work directly with OpenEIRs UG interface and have direct access to an account manager in OpenEir. Eir staff work on some other front end and don't care enough to put the work in to accomodate special cases.

Either that or you can try to contact OpenEIR and see, if you can pursue them to list the premise.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thehorse wrote: »
    For all your online gamers .....be careful as Eir have a 1TB download limit per month. If you exceed it, they’ll hit you with a €100 charge. They had a probe on my line to check my download speed and it downloaded over 2TB last month and guess what, they were charging me €100. I told them where to go as it was their device which they installed that downloaded the data.

this doesn't apply to new Eir subscribers, on both FTTC and FTTH it's cap/fup free for new customers.

Customers who are on contracts since before August or customers whose contracts run out are still on the 1tb limit because Eir don't really care about current customers.

• Advertisement

thehorse wrote: »

For new contracts there is NO limit with eir.

Check out their website.

Marlow wrote: »
    Chances for that are bigger with alternative providers, as they work directly with OpenEIRs UG interface and have direct access to an account manager in OpenEir. Eir staff work on some other front end and don't care enough to put the work in to accomodate special cases.

Either that or you can try to contact OpenEIR and see, if you can pursue them to list the premise.

/M

If anyone here has access to look at that OpenEir UG interface could I PM them the eircode and see if there's a chance anything could be done

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did you email fibrepower@openeir.ie

If anyone here has access to look at that OpenEir UG interface could I PM them the eircode and see if there's a chance anything could be done

That's not how it works.

If your premise has been left out as part of a rollout (houses before and after your premise), then the provider needs to engage with openeir and try to get them list your premise.

So you need to contact a provider, talk to them and see, if they can fix it for you, place your order and then see, if they can remedy the issue with OpenEIR.

It's a manual process. So you find anyone who does it without getting the business.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

For new contracts there is NO limit with eir.

Check out their website.

Are we talking existing customers who sign new contracts? Can you link to something specific or just the bundle page?

Are we talking existing customers who sign new contracts? Can you link to something specific or just the bundle page?

It's on the bundle page. You have to be out of contract to enter a new contract with them. And then the person you talk to has to be clued up enough to migrate you to the new package.

You also need to be aware, that you loose the free daytime and mobile calls by changing. As while they removed the cap, they also now only offer free off peak landline calls as part of the bundle.

So you're loosing out on the other end.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All new contracts are on unlimited. Existing contracts pre the new package prices will remain on 1TB even if out of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is it a new build (within the last few years)? Can premises on both sides, left and right, of yours get the service?

Is it a new build (within the last few years)? Can premises on both sides, left and right, of yours get the service?
    No it's around 20 years old maybe, places very nearby can't but around 600m away in every direction can, but we are right at the cabinet (about 10 metres from the cabinet.

So good access to FTTC but not FTTP

(it's for a SMB so not being a choosing beggar, the 20mbit upload will be a killer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No it's around 20 years old maybe, places very nearby can't but around 600m away in every direction can, but we are right at the cabinet (about 10 metres from the cabinet.

So good access to FTTC but not FTTP

(it's for a SMB so not being a choosing beggar, the 20mbit upload will be a killer)

Then you're legitimately not FTTP, they don't want to shoot their own foot over the costs of the MSAN sitting outside the door.

Ideally a bonded VDSL pair with Supervectoring might be a good middle ground but AFAIK despite comreg/ALTO talking about it a lot its never been added as a RAP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement